Gold Member

Re: Philippines 2011

Post by viabuona »

Thanks Benj for this very impressive review :D
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Benj wrote:Ha ha! I knew you couldn't resist reading till friday, phlibera :lol: I intentionally wrote it as a spoiler for you.

Yup! Page 1 of this thread i believe. But that's not my only wish that came true. I wished Libera would stunned the whole country on live tv and people would scramble for tickets but it's all sold out! :lol: :lol:
Haha. You know what? I used TweetDeck for Chrome, and I conveniently forgot I have a search column in there with the keyword "libera". Lot's of non-Libera (the group) noise, but it pretty much spoiled White Christmas and Himig ng Pasko before I even read the first reports here. Haha.

I'm truly truly happy about the projection. I hope the same thing will be utilized here in Cebu. And I believe, from here on out, the same thing could be utilized in concerts in other Asian countries. And we all (including Korea and Japan in the future) have you to thank for bringing that suggestion forward earlier in this thread.
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

Isaac got a solo!!! :D Wow!! :lol:
It sounds as though the entire concert was amazing! :lol: Thanks for the review!!
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Yorkie wrote:Just went back to watch that Carol of the Bells video on YouTube and the sound is now horribly out of sync with the video - don't know if it is my computer playing up but if anybody downloaded it and can put back the 'real' thing it would be greatly appreciated :D
I think that's your computer, Yorkie. Just checked it again and it looks okay. You're talking about Cayleb101's video, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqqJ63-ZcFs
Me thinks you just want to bring in more hits to the video upload. :lol:
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Yorkie wrote:Just went back to watch that Carol of the Bells video on YouTube and the sound is now horribly out of sync with the video - don't know if it is my computer playing up but if anybody downloaded it and can put back the 'real' thing it would be greatly appreciated :D
It's playing fine for me. :?:
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

viabuona wrote:Thanks Benj for this very impressive review :D
Thank you also Viabuona for sharing this forum to us. But i'm still no match to Yorkie when it comes to reviews :mrgreen:

As i said i was unable to talk when the boys asked me if i liked their show. At least through this forum i am able to express how grateful i am.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Thanks for all the great reviews . Had Daniel's voice broken on Stay With Me ? . Haha I am still amazed he is almost 16 and still a treble . And any idea why he was taken off Veni Veni E as he sounds so good on it ?
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Thank you so much for all the reviews, everyone!!! :D I honestly can not keep my jealousy under control! I NEED to be there! Ahhhhh!!! Glad to hear Moose came along again! Wonder if he remembered his passport... :lol: I'm cursious as well about Daniel not singing the solo on Veni.. At least he still got Stay With Me! My mom was real curious to know if he was still singing that, since it's her favorite song! Well, sorry for all this rambling! So glad the concert went well!!! Would loveeee to be there for the Cebu one, but I don't think any amount of begging will get me to the Philippeans any time soon! :D Hope everyone enjoys the next concert!
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

Rebecca (: wrote:Thank you so much for all the reviews, everyone!!! :D I honestly can not keep my jealousy under control! I NEED to be there! Ahhhhh!!! Glad to hear Moose came along again! Wonder if he remembered his passport... :lol: I'm cursious as well about Daniel not singing the solo on Veni.. At least he still got Stay With Me! My mom was real curious to know if he was still singing that, since it's her favorite song! Well, sorry for all this rambling! So glad the concert went well!!! Would loveeee to be there for the Cebu one, but I don't think any amount of begging will get me to the Philippeans any time soon! :D Hope everyone enjoys the next concert!
I know how you feel...Isaac got a solo and I'm not even there to hear it :( and I would love to hear Carol of the Bells live! :) At least we can read about the concerts in the wonderful reviews! :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

It is a shame they cant play more xmas concerts but time restraints are what they are unfortunately. Because they wont play them again in concert after the 25th December. Unless they do xmas concerts next year as its not a bad idea but October is only a week so they can never travel that much.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Article from press conference at Children's Hour donation ceremony -

http://www.pep.ph/guide/music/9191/all- ... -in-laguna

If only I had read the article sooner. It practically gives the concert song list and revealed that they would not be singing "Bayan Ko." I would've been in the running for Dani's program. :wink:

He details some of the interview with Kavana, Ralph, Liam, Cassius and Michael. And the writer describes Michael as "cute as a button." :D
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Nice article Lauren... would you like a short video to go along with that? http://www.gmanews.tv/video/96237/bt-co ... ng-gabi-na" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly not the best quality, and requires translation into English from our Filipino friends? Although I can probably guess the commentary spiel - Kavana for future PM?
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Yorkie wrote: Now, I'm planning to lead a standing ovation for the performance of Carol of the Bells at St George's next month - who's with me? :lol:
No problem here to. I will be there ;). Standing on the benches (I don't know if you call it that in English, sorry) is not allowed probably ;)
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Nice article Lauren... would you like a short video to go along with that? http://www.gmanews.tv/video/96237/bt-co ... ng-gabi-na" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly not the best quality, and requires translation into English from our Filipino friends? Although I can probably guess the commentary spiel - Kavana for future PM?
This news was from the rival network of the channel that has Asap. It's the number 1 news channel actually! That means more exposure for Libera. Should they perform on this channel next time, they would practically have covered 75% of the population already.

The Tagalog intro said that the concert will be this evening. That they really love it here in the Philippines because of the very warm reception.

They were also asked which Filipino dish they liked best. I honestly did not understand what they answered but i'm surprised if they didn't say Lechon or roasted pig which is our national food. They should be eating this right now in celebration of Josh's birthday. Cebu is well know for the best Lechon variety.

Somebody please tell these networks the correct pronounciation of Libera.
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Libera Christmas Concert in Manila - 25 October 2011

Thanks to Lauren for posting ahead of me! You should consider a career in journalism, perhaps? :lol:
Let me just start off by saying this is my first Libera concert, and I loved every millisecond of it!
The concert started a little late, around 8:35pm. Here's my take on the concert (also late!)
1) Jubilate transitioning into Libera - Cassius and Barney started off with the Jubilate part, though I can't technically call it a solo. Then Eoghan and Luke moved to the front for their solos on "Libera." Loved the descants on Jubilate!
*Speech: Barney told us about the boys' age range and that "Libera" was written before he was born. Cassius told us it's the group's third visit to the Philppines.
2) Joy to the World - sounded even better than the album version :D
3) Still, Still, Still - I wrote in my CD review that this is my favorite. The boys did not disappoint me! The younger boys were kneeling in a sort of semi-circle with Ralph in the middle and with the big boys standing behind them. Ralph's solo almost made me cry! Loved the third verse showcasing the deeper voices. Magical!
4) Song of Life - so happy I got to hear this live! Ralph did the solo, backed by Daniel and Kavana. Ralph a little 'winded' from previous song, but still did a wonderful job.
*Speech: Cassius introduced us to their mascot Moose and joked about not calling him a reindeer, as that would hurt his feelings! :lol: Michael told us about the effort that goes into preparing for a tour and how the big boys show the little ones the ropes.
5) Sanctus - Opened with a clarinet solo by Steven. Stefan did the high descants (wow!) and Luke sang the last word 'Sanctus.' PERFECT!
6) Salva Me - Matthew R-A on the descants. Good, but could have been louder. This was my complaint for the first few songs, the audio could have been louder.
7) Stay with Me - Daniel soloed, backed by Cassius. For a boy of 16, I don't know how he does it! Still very high notes, though definitely with signs of voice breaking. Also, please note that he was in the front row for most of the songs. Go Daniel!
*Speech: Jude introduced us to the musicians. He has a very high speaking voice. Hope he gets a solo soon!
8) Veni, Veni Emmanuel - Talk about theatrical! Josh and Ralph stood alone on left side of stage, with all other boys hooded and with heads bowed on the left. Spotlight on Josh and Ralph w/ dim light on hooded boys. Then Josh starts off with Veni Veni in a LooooW voice. Surprised but also amazed at how beautiful and rich his voice sounded. Ralph did the harmony and the 'gaude' parts. AWESOME!
9) Exultate - solo by Stefan. Much preferred this version to the Moody Church one. One soloist works better for this song, versus three. Stef was perfect! (Can you tell I LOVE HIM?) :lol:

*end of part one* 15-minute intermission

Part 2
1) Carol of the Bells - Even better than the ASAP version IMO, you could hear the vocals so clearly! Stef and Ralph did the descants as they did on ASAP, and Cassius the final 'ding-dong.' People a little confused on when to clap because Cassius was a little late on the last 'ding-dong.' You have got to hear this live people! :D
2) Gloria - perfect as expected!
*Speech: Barney joked about how hard it is to keep their robes clean, especially when drinking orange juice. Then the classic part when he pulls Cassius's hood over his face and everyone laughs. Those two are too adorable!
3) The Fountain - Ralph soloed, backed by Kavana. He sounded amazing! Low notes were beautiful and high notes perfect. Perfect! (I know, I've said it like 10 times! :mrgreen:
4) Eternal Light - So happy this was included in the set list! Solo by Stefan, backed by Ralph and Daniel. Even better than CD version. Bravo, Stefan!!
5) Sing the Story - Very nice solo by Luke! Cue the stage lights shining like stars in the evening sky every time they sang "shining like silver the stars in the sky."
*Speech: Liam gave the voice change speech and told us he's been with the group since age 8, and is now 15 (16 in a month!), cue: audience applause and cheers. He also told us to listen for the low notes of Ave Verum towards the end of the song.
6) Ave Verum - Solo by Carlos backed by MJ and Barney. Pleasantly surprised by Carlos' voice! Matt R-A did the descants. For the last verse, the older boys came to the front and changed to V formation with Josh in the center. Loved the last verse!
7) In Dulci Jubilo - at this point, poor Ciaran had eyes closed most of the time and looked like he was about to fall asleep right there. :lol: Noticed yawns from Matt Madine and Thomas. Poor newbies! (this was around 10 pm). Ralph did the descants for this song.
8) Glory to Thee - Solo by Eoghan, pitch-perfect though a bit hesitant at the start. Can't wait til Eoghan's voice matures some more. Love the tone/quality of his voice, perfect for classic treble pieces.
*Speech: Nano Ben came forward and told us he's new and had about 2months to learn all the songs. Then he said this was the end of their concert :( and said "Maraming salamat po, mahal namin ang Pilipinas" (Thank you so much, we love the Philippines!). Awwww...! :)
9) How Shall I Sing That Majesty - perfect end to a perfect concert. Stefan wowed me with his solo on the first verse, and Eoghan too with his solo on the second verse. Almost in tears!

Encore:
White Christmas - Solo by Stefan. The Beverly Hills first verse was omitted, and I liked this version much better. You could tell everyone loved it by the thunderous applause at the end.
"Himig ng Pasko" - Immediately recognized the song when they started humming, and got instant applause just like Bayan Ko. Ralph sounded wonderful on the solo parts, I hardly noticed his accent! It was SOOO GOOD!! Then surprise at the end, Isaac sang "And a merry Christmas to you!" What a darling, sweet voice! This is now my favorite. :lol:

Sorry for the long review! To all those going to the St. George concert, you're in for a treat! Pictures to follow. :D
Last edited by hannah_kirstin on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...