Philippines 2011

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

phlibera
Gold Member

Re: Philippines 2011

Post by phlibera »

Lauren wrote:And PolyEast also tweeted, "Watch out for the repack of Libera's The Christmas Album including their own rendition of MALAMIG ANG SIMOY NG HANGIN." So they're going to release the same CD with a bonus track? :shock: Great if you haven't already purchased the CD.
Fine by me. But I hope it will be the regular CD this time around (minus the song cards but with the pictures from the photo ops for the booklet like that of the regular edition of Peace). :D I was hoping they'd sing Kumukutikutitap (english: "Twinkling"), but I guess its beat is too fast for them to learn in a short amount of time. Although they did pull off "Carol of the Bells". But on the other hand the latter is in English.

Interesting they tweeted "Malamig ang Simoy ng Hangin" (english: Cold Breeze?, sorry "simoy" is to deep a Tagalog for a Cebuano like me), when it's actually "Himig ng Pasko" (english: Hymn of Christmas). Perhaps that's the title they are going by.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

fan_de_LoK wrote:I hope they will give us quickly some news update :)
We're hoping one of the boys writes a blog about their trip. :wink: :D
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the update guys, nice to get news of the concert setlist and M&G. Glad to see Stefan has took some of the workload from Ralph as expected. I can appreciate they had to limit the numbers for the post-concert M&G as some of the younger boys in particular would be very tired by now, they have done so much already. Although it's interesting to know that Barney runs on duracell lol
carina_gino20 wrote:The 2nd encore was Himig ng Pasko (directly translated to Hymn of Christmas), a Filipino Christmas classic. To those who don't like applause in the middle of the song, sorry to say that the Filipinos are sure to disappoint you again. :D
I like the reaction from the fans, aslong as it's not all the way through the song. No outsider as a right to say how the audience should or shouldn't react in their own country, particularly during a patroitic song that means so much to them. If they don't like it watch another video. Speaking of which I wonder if OfficialLibera will share with us another concert video from the PICC gig like they did for Bayan Ko in 2009? Hope so!
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks another video of the ASAP 'Carol of the Bells'. This time shot from the perspective of being in the audience. It's not the full video but importantly it begins from that cracking high descant solo by Stefan.

[youtube][/youtube]
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

@officiallibera just tweeted "Fantastic welcome in Manila. Thx to all who came to PICC. Looking forward to visiting Cebu & performing @ Waterfront hotel on Fri"
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Speaking of which I wonder if OfficialLibera will share with us another concert video from the PICC gig like they did for Bayan Ko in 2009? Hope so!
That's something they could add to a re-released CD as a bonus! :D
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
carina_gino20 wrote:The 2nd encore was Himig ng Pasko (directly translated to Hymn of Christmas), a Filipino Christmas classic. To those who don't like applause in the middle of the song, sorry to say that the Filipinos are sure to disappoint you again. :D
I like the reaction from the fans, aslong as it's not all the way through the song. No outsider as a right to say how the audience should or shouldn't react in their own country, particularly during a patroitic song that means so much to them. If they don't like it watch another video. Speaking of which I wonder if OfficialLibera will share with us another concert video from the PICC gig like they did for Bayan Ko in 2009? Hope so!
I agree that would be awesome if they released a concert video like they did with Bayan Ko. I personally like the audience's reaction. It's nice to know how special that song was to them, and must have been special for the boys to hear the reaction.

On a side note, after reading all the short reviews and talk from fans that have gone to the concerts, it makes me already want them to come back to the US, but I understand they are busy, and don't want them to be overworked, so I will just enjoy hearing about the enjoyment they are bringing other parts of the world :)
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

It’s a night I wished would never end. From the first note of Jubilate Deo to the last note of the encore from Isaac, I felt as if my soul wants to separate from my body.

The sounds were soaring so high, but unbelievably gentle to the ears. Nobody does it like Libera. I feel sorry for those got ran out of tickets. But more sorry for those who watched other concerts. :lol:

Thank you for using the large screens. We enjoyed it ten times more! Now, everyone clearly saw the angels faces behind the celestial sounds!! :D

The concert was mixed classic Libera & Christmas songs but surprisingly more songs on the former. I added a reaction to each performance below plus the boy's speeches in between:

1. Jubilate Deo/Libera - hair raising opener!! Real angels entering.

Barney & Cassius introuduced Josh & Jonathan as the most seniors.
The audience gave them both a thunderous applause.

2. Joy to the World – best version ever! Eccentric harmonies.

3. Still, Still, Still – Ralph, you made me melt! The lady & Japanese girl beside me were unable to hold their tears!!

4. Song of Life – Ralph’s new signiture song but Kavanna was singing more intensely at the center too!

They introduced their mascot, Moose!

5. Sanctus – Luke sang those hard ending notes! Incredible job by the orchestra too!

6-7 Salva & Stay with Me – perfect Daniel! Mathew Alvarez took over from what Liam used to do. Great job!

Jude Collins introduced the orchestra Robert Prizeman on the grand piano (bravo Sir!) & the violins & percussion were amazing!

8. Veni Emmanuel – my God! Josh has a very solid voice!! :shock: Everyone was stunned watching his close-ups as he sang almost the entire song. We wanted to give a standing ovation too but they were gonna sing the next song already.

9. Exsultate – Stefan is doing the nice solo now but we all saw on the big screen how expressively Mini Ben sang his signiture song.

10. Carol of Bells – we all saw this live on tv but the audience still gaped in awe!

11. Gloria - like real angels rejoicing heaven’s glory!

Barney & Cassius (I think) doing a comedy act to the crowd’s delight

12. The Fountain – this song is even better live. Bravo again Ralph!

13. Eternal Light – the crowd’s longer than usual applause speaks for itself! After this I doubt if anyone present would still want to listen to other artist.

14. Sing the Story – so proud of Luke. Last year he humbly introduced himself to me as the new kid. Now he takes over a Michael Horncastle classic and nails it!

Liam was immediately given a booming applause before he even began talking. Well deserved for this Libera future hall of famer.

15. Ave Verum – we want to hear from Carlos more!! Josh stood at the pyramid’s apex at the end of this

16. In Dulci Jubilo – christmas song with most hamonies. I can never stop listening to this.

17. Glory to Thee – Eoghan even better than his performance in Chicago. He looked so relaxed on the big screen.

“Maraming salamat po! Mahal namin ang Pilipinas.” (Thank you very much. We love the Philippines.) Us Filipinos never heard this said any cuter than this!

18. How shall I sing this Majesty – the power of this song sung live was like making the audience experience cosmic consciousness.

The audience never stopped the cracking applause till the boys sang again.

19. White Christmas – Stefan sang this so expressively the audience can not help but applaud in the middle

20. “Malamig ang Simoy ng Hangin” (as popularly known but real title is Himig ng Pasko) – my favorite Filipino carol now sung by my favorite artist. Result: Explosive Standing Ovation. Wow Ralph and what an ending done by Isaac!

The boys were asking me at the signing if I liked the whole concert, specially the ending: Boys, you all made me speechless to react. Honestly, it’s beyond words what me and everyone else feel.

Thank you so much Libera for the most incredible evening. Btw, Mini Ben I believe, was the most photogenic on the large screens!
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Lauren wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:Speaking of which I wonder if OfficialLibera will share with us another concert video from the PICC gig like they did for Bayan Ko in 2009? Hope so!
Great idea! Somebody from PolyEast read this, please. :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote: I like the reaction from the fans, aslong as it's not all the way through the song. No outsider as a right to say how the audience should or shouldn't react in their own country, particularly during a patroitic song that means so much to them. If they don't like it watch another video. Speaking of which I wonder if OfficialLibera will share with us another concert video from the PICC gig like they did for Bayan Ko in 2009? Hope so!
Agreed, and I'm glad to see my comment stating as much is pinned to the top of that Bayan Ko video. Now, I'm planning to lead a standing ovation for the performance of Carol of the Bells at St George's next month - who's with me? :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Thank you so much for the write-up Benj. You'd think I have spoiled this Friday's concert by reading it, but I'm actually even more excited now.

Good to hear about the large screens. Was it you who suggested it here sometime ago, back when the concert was still a rumor or something? I believe I supported your suggestions, so yeah, I'm happy to read this.

"Himig ng Pasko" will definitely be even a better hit than Bayan Ko, considering it's a popular Christmas song. Looking forward to hearing their arrangement. Haven't heard their version yet, of course, but it's a more radio-friendly than Bayan Ko. I had always thought that if there's a song from the album that has the potential of receiving a lot of radio airplay it's going to be "White Christmas". But since they're releasing Himig ng Pasko as a bonus track, that's the song that's going to make it, I think. :)
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Ha ha! I knew you couldn't resist reading till friday, phlibera :lol: I intentionally wrote it as a spoiler for you.

Yup! Page 1 of this thread i believe. But that's not my only wish that came true. I wished Libera would stun the whole country on live tv and people would scramble for tickets but it's all sold out! :lol: :lol:

I saw the presidential convoy passing after the concert. If he came from another concert -- loser :lol:
Last edited by Benj on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Thank you, Benj! Great review! Do you know if Cebu is sold out also?

Oh, and it's great to hear that Moose got another stamp in his passport! :D
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

phlibera wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Great idea! Somebody from PolyEast read this, please. :lol:
Absolutely agree!
Yorkie wrote: Now, I'm planning to lead a standing ovation for the performance of Carol of the Bells at St George's next month - who's with me? :lol:
Me, no probs :wink:
Benj wrote:It’s a night I wished would never end...
Excellent review, Benj! It's such a pleasure to read all the reviews here ! :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Just went back to watch that Carol of the Bells video on YouTube and the sound is now horribly out of sync with the video - don't know if it is my computer playing up but if anybody downloaded it and can put back the 'real' thing it would be greatly appreciated :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love