Civility

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

kjackson83

Civility

Post by kjackson83 »

Oh first: a disclaimer! This isn't directed towards anyone or anything in particular, just one of those blanket statements (kind of like the "Please Do Not Walk On the Grass" or "Mind the Gap" sign):

I roam all around the internet, usually hunting for news, and occasionally run across pockets of Libera interest in several places (more and more places, which is good).

There's a large amount of Libera material on YouTube, and the videos are generally well-received. There's been a series of comments there, however, that really bothered me, and since most of us have YT account and are, in any case, active with each other here, I wanted to throw this out:

Libera is a group made up entirely of children, none of whom are "professional" (although some are reaching towards that goal). They're a clutch of schoolkids who do this because they're good at it and can be brought together under the aegis of Robert Prizeman and their church.

There's a real problem in several places with civility because I don't think people are keeping this in mind. YouTube especially is filled with people who skate around making posts that are totally out of keeping with the spirit of a kids' choir, for whatever reason. No one, least of all me, is trying to dictate what people do or don't say, but when we're dealing with what is essentially a kids' community chorus, there are some common sense boundaries that are being ignored almost en masse in some places.

Again, not directing this anyplace particular! Just wanted to throw this out; if you have YouTube vids, watch out for some of these users who thrive on attacking the choir for fun. There's really no place for that kind of destructive criticism levelled on kids using their innate talents.

(stepping off soapbox)
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Re: Civility

Post by jennaluvspbr »

kjackson83 wrote:Oh first: a disclaimer! This isn't directed towards anyone or anything in particular, just one of those blanket statements (kind of like the "Please Do Not Walk On the Grass" or "Mind the Gap" sign):

I roam all around the internet, usually hunting for news, and occasionally run across pockets of Libera interest in several places (more and more places, which is good).

There's a large amount of Libera material on YouTube, and the videos are generally well-received. There's been a series of comments there, however, that really bothered me, and since most of us have YT account and are, in any case, active with each other here, I wanted to throw this out:

Libera is a group made up entirely of children, none of whom are "professional" (although some are reaching towards that goal). They're a clutch of schoolkids who do this because they're good at it and can be brought together under the aegis of Robert Prizeman and their church.

There's a real problem in several places with civility because I don't think people are keeping this in mind. YouTube especially is filled with people who skate around making posts that are totally out of keeping with the spirit of a kids' choir, for whatever reason. No one, least of all me, is trying to dictate what people do or don't say, but when we're dealing with what is essentially a kids' community chorus, there are some common sense boundaries that are being ignored almost en masse in some places.

Again, not directing this anyplace particular! Just wanted to throw this out; if you have YouTube vids, watch out for some of these users who thrive on attacking the choir for fun. There's really no place for that kind of destructive criticism levelled on kids using their innate talents.

(stepping off soapbox)
will said my friend will said will don
barlies04
Silver Member

Post by barlies04 »

Hear-Hear my friend if their lives are so meaningless and sad as to have to either make fun at or have a go at Libera then God Help them as you say Libera are a Group of Boys well led By Robert Prizeman And under the aegis of their Church so yes Libera evolve and long may they do so
jim
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

If anyone so much as posts an antagonistic remark on one of the libera videos I upload I will delete it without hesitation and report the person.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

If you upload the video, don't you have the option of reviewing comments before they're posted? Alternatively you can disable comments.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yes, and in theory that should be the best practice, but some users allow comments to go through without pre-moderation and don't regularly check the feedback and delete the comments that have no right to be there.

I've seen some pretty appalling comments made on youtube; the anonymity of it allows every Tom, Dick and Sally to post what they want. Things they would never say face to face in verbal discussion. Most of the comments are made to cause a stir, seek attention. I'd be surprised if the originator even feels that way, but just say these things to stand out. I just thumb it down, and if enough people do that it will eventually get hidden from general views.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Ah censorship, one of those topics that will always be discussed.

My questions that I propose to this group is: What gives us the right to censor comments? Do we have that right at all? Should it be for all videos or just the ones you post?
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Mathmaniac wrote:Ah censorship, one of those topics that will always be discussed.

My questions that I propose to this group is: What gives us the right to censor comments? Do we have that right at all? Should it be for all videos or just the ones you post?
I'm only talking about YouTube, and the person who posts a video has the option to pre-approve comments only concerning the videos he has posted.

I know of some forums, such as the Yahoo Angel Voices forum, where the moderators pre-approve all of the postings.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

I'm not outright asking anyone to be a "censor" (such a distasteful word). But if I had some of these videos on YT, I would not personally hesitate to strike some of the things appearing in their comments. As for "what gives us the right," personally I figure my own common sense and sensibilities as a human being watching some of this being levelled at children gives me the right, if I had material to use it on, to strike comments such as the ones on this video. Is it a huge, unbelievable deal? No--it's not like the comments are hatespeech or paedophilic or something. But there's a cadre of YT users out there who thrive on stirring up antagonistic garbage because, quite frankly, they don't have lives.

Folks are free to do/think as they please--it just concerns me. I find this sort of rampant, malicious cynicism unpleasant in any context, but especially when it's children and especially when there's really no good reason at all for it. Is the group above criticism? No. But as anyone knows, there's constructive criticism and destructive criticism. This--referring to large swaths of the link above--is mostly the latter. We're not dealing with some big-deal freedom-of-speech issue....I don't think it is, anyway.

I'm simply asking for a little civility. If folk don't want to "censor" to get that, it's ok. I am certainly sorry I asked.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

The reason why I proposed those questions was to promote discussion on the issue (in case anyone did not completely agree).

Personally, I believe if you put up the videos, you DO have the right to delete certain comments (especially those which you referred to, kjackson83). Those who participate in such comments generally are abusing their rights of free speech (which is not entirely free to begin with: would you get in trouble for yelling "fire" in a public area?)

kjackson83: Thank you for being so passionate about it (in a contructive way).
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
Urs

Post by Urs »

I am absolutely in the same opinion with kjackson83.
Thanks for bringing up that topic!

Cheers Urs
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

kjackson83 wrote: I'm simply asking for a little civility. If folk don't want to "censor" to get that, it's ok.
I wish I had your way with words but I don't.... You have this great ability to capture the essence of issues with an economy of words. I respect you greatly for it and always enjoy your posts (even if I don't agree with them :) ). In this instance you are 100% right; I was shocked by the comments I read on YT when I followed your link. I personally find it inappropriate to make any comments (about childeren) in the public domain. As a matter of principle, I just don't do it. I have my personal opinions but they remain just that; personal. When it comes to kids, I fully support censorship. I have 5 of my own of various ages and 4 at various stages of interaction with the great wild world and myself and my wife try to sheild them as much as possible to as much of nastiness out there as possible.

I fully support your call for civility (and thanks for putting it so eloquently :))

Jude
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

@everyone:
Thanks for the stimulating responses, and I am glad we are all "singing off the same page," so to speak! I think one of the best ways to combat this nastiness is to simply be reasonable and logical in countering whatever the next YT smear campaign flings in our (or the choir's) direction--stick to principles, so to speak, and let the rest play in the mud :wink: