Canada Concerts - April 2011

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

If they are selling the programs, I am definetly buying one. It be nice to have one. I haven't been to a concert yet, but so far I have 2 posters, so I am looking to expand my collection. :)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I actualy purchased 5 programs thoughout the tour in the hope of a signing :(

But all the money goes to libera, so its not all bad :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

Hi everyone :D ,

Thanks to all who have contributed their thoughts and reviews on the Canada concerts! I'm sorry that I am seemingly the last one who attended to share their thoughts (I was hopelessly behind at work this whole past week due to my vacation!) I have sent my friend Inna (dearmadine) last Thursday a review of which she has kindly posted on her blog. In case some of you haven't read it yet I have produced it below (I have added a few extra thoughts for some members here). I hope I accurately remembered the soloists as I did not check all the posts previously due to time. If not, feel free to correct me. I have attempted to give a song by song review and general feeling for the concerts in Hamilton and Guelph. I hope you enjoy reading this:

In Hamilton, it was quite chilly outside so my mother and I did not get into the queue until around 6:30PM (Guelph had nicer weather so I got in the queue around 5 PM to chat with the fans :-)). Luckily, we had premium tickets so when the doors opened we were able to go inside to line up and get warm! It was really nice seeing friends from the Libera Dreams forum whom I had met previously :Fan_de_LoK(I think you must be the most devoted Libera fan in the world!), Tom413(always nice talking Libera with someone as informed as you are :)), Lexi(so nice to see you helping out during the tour, I'm sure it was fun!), Geozed (nice to see again after our great Nashville and Atlanta tour last year!) and also meeting new ones: Paul30003 (was nice meeting you and hope to see you again :)), Rebecca (: (sorry that it was all too brief after Hamilton concert :( ) , viobuono (really enjoyed meeting a Swiss and would have liked to talk with you more :)).

Every time I see Libera (I have seen them 6 times now) it feels fresh and exciting as there are always new boys and usually a slightly different song list. This really makes each experience special. The concert opened with the beautiful Jubilate before going into their "theme song" Libera, which had nice solos from Stefan and Luke. Next was a new personal favorite of mine, Eternal Light, with Stefan singing beautifully and nice support from Ralph and Daniel. This song really moved my Mom and I. The meditative Sanctissima was next and Ralph did an awesome job on the solo. I am not wanting to pick favorite soloists at the expense of others but Ralph is one favorite of mine. His voice is very strong and most expressive. The popular Sanctus came next and was performed exceptionally well by the group as usual. I was so happy to see one of my old favorites, Always With You, being performed and I thought Freddie did a nice job on the solo. His voice is perfect for the song and the staging, with the boys turned to look towards him, was very creative. Jakob was also impressive singing the high descants in the back. Brian Wilson's touching Love and Mercy was next with Freddie and the adorable Mini James doing a sweet job on the solos. Salva Me followed with typically good descants from Matthew in the back. This song really shows Prizeman's mastery of composition weaving all the different harmonies with the plainchant. The very surreal and meditative Lamentione (or Lament from the "Free" album) followed with the group turned towards Prizeman; some of them hooded and the lights an eerie dark blue. This was highly effective in adding to the feeling of the song. The first half closed with the joyfully upbeat Exsultate, again with a nice solo effort from Stefan and also a nice recorder contribution from Steven Geraghty.

The second half started with one of my favorite all time songs in Mysterium. As there was not a full church organ in Hamilton (this was a bit more impressive at the Church Of Our Lady Immaculate in Guelph as there was a huge one there), some of the power of the song was lessened a bit but Ralph and Stefan performed their solos exceptionally well. I liked the staging of this song a bit better in Atlanta with Stefan coming down the middle of the church and Ralph in the far back as they performed their call and response solos. This is only a minor quibble though. Gloria came next with a fine performance by the full choir and it was a good contrast to the moodiness of the previous song. Two exceptional solo performances by Ralph followed in Fountain (with help from Kavana) and When A Knight. I really like how Prizeman has extended The Fountain with his Grand Piano introduction of the Chopin piece. When A Knight is a wonderfully medieval little piece that I have always had a soft spot for. It was Daniel's turn to shine in Stay With Me next. Since he took over this song in 2009, he has gotten increasingly more assured with it and it has now become a highlight of the concerts (also it is one of my Mom's favorite songs ;-)). Ave Verum followed with fine solo contributions from Carlos and Jakob before building to a nice climax as the boys formed an arrow-like shape with Jonathan (the tallest one for the moment) at the front. The new Song Of Life came next and I must say it is another exceptionally beautiful song. Ralph, again, came through with a very moving solo. Another favorite piece of mine is Going Home. I adore the melody (written by Dvorak for his New World Symphony) as it has a very spiritual feeling to it. Mini James and Daniel offered up an enchanting solo duet performance. Finally How Shall I Sing made for a grand ending to the concert. Jakob and Stefan both did an impressive job on the solos and the entire group really rose to a powerful conclusion. Waves of applause followed this breathtaking performance before a short version of Exultate served as the encore. A long standing ovation came with the boys bowing to the crowd before all of them waved us Good Bye till the next time :)

Both concerts in Hamilton and Guelph were exceptionally well performed so I don't think I can pick a favorite. I will say that the Church Of Our Lady Immaculate in Guelph was certainly the most impressive setting. As my Aunt and Uncle joined us on the Easter Sunday concert there (while also being my Mom's birthday), Sunday's concert is a little more special :-)! All my family really enjoyed the concerts and I'd like to send a special "Thank You" to all my Libera friends who helped make my Mom, Aunt, Uncle and I feel so welcome. Lastly, a big THANK YOU goes to John45 and Kringle for all the work they did to make this Canada tour possible for Libera. I cannot wait till the next tour! Peace and Love.
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
choiretto

Post by choiretto »

LiberAeterna,

Thank you VERY MUCH for such a great review!!!!
And no, you're not the last one! :)
I still haven't shared the review of my first LIBERA concert at St. Michael's Cathedral! oooops....
Sadly, it was the only concert I could attend; even though I came to Toronto from a different province and spent a pretty round number of CA dollars.... But still! All the concerts where in my country and I was supposed to be there for all of them!!!! Shame on me, I couldn't stay for all concerts....
Though, I REALLY wanted to! :cry:
Your review, made me experience the concerts you described, as if I was actually there!
Thank you! :) For making LIBERA fans feel good!
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Libera have uploaded photo's from Canada :)

http://www.libera.org.uk/gallery
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Nice photos :)

Thank you Paul :)
Steffi_89

Post by Steffi_89 »

Nice Photos!!

I hope they will do a video from the tour, like the last years :-)
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Little bit off topic. But I put their new song of Life clip in the Video/pictures topic.. :)..

See it :)
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Oh and btw I love the picture of Jonathan, Liam and Ben. They look so happy :)..

Love all the pictures.. But thats on who stands out for me.. :).. No Stefan really on the pictures.. Yes the group pictures.. Unfortunatly (is that a correct grammar??)
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
choiretto

Post by choiretto »

Very nice!

Thank you, paul30003!

Oh yes! Finally... JUST what I've been waiting for!
A picture of Liam, Jonathan, and Ben!!!!
Awesome! :)

Hopefully, it's not a "goodbye" type of picture....
paopao

Post by paopao »

thanks, i think Libera have made a good decision on uploading the new-ish members' photos for us to know and understand that regeneration is inevitable, some of us might have known their names from the concert programme.
though some people on Facebook still asked about the absence of Josh, even Tom! *sigh*

so, the random thing i've noticed: we have 6 glasses-wearing Liberans now!?
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

choiretto wrote: Oh yes! Finally... JUST what I've been waiting for!
A picture of Liam, Jonathan, and Ben!!!!
Awesome! :)
Yeah that's a good one !
I the big moose and The Moose is funny as well :D
And now I got what they meant by serious tree climbing (was mentioned on the blog) :lol:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

So... the great identifying game... Trying to put names to faces in the Canada gallery:

Picture 2 - Barney?

Picture 4 - two small boys next to James: ??

Picture 5 - two boys on opposite sides of James: Eoghan and ?? (he is also on the far right in Picture 25)

Picture 20 - boy on the right with the mic stand covering his face: Dylan?
boy next to him staring at the side: ??

Picture 25 - boy on the far right: ??

I think I got the rest ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

maartendas wrote:So... the great identifying game... Trying to put names to faces in the Canada gallery:

Picture 2 - Barney?

Picture 5 - two boys on opposite sides of James: Eoghan and ?? (he is also on the far right in Picture 25)

Picture 2: No, it's Jude Collins

Picture 4: Jude and I think Henry

Picture 5: On the Left is Barney (so also next to Jakob, so between Jakob and James ) on the right from James is Jude

Picture 20: Yes thats Dylan, and the one staring I think you mean Barney..

Picture 25: Thats Jude again.

In Picture 14 is Eoghan, If you want to see him.. :)..
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

LennesSL wrote:
maartendas wrote:So... the great identifying game... Trying to put names to faces in the Canada gallery:

Picture 2 - Barney?

Picture 2: No, it's Jude Collins

Picture 4: Jude and I think Henry

Picture 5: On the Left is Barney (so also next to Jakob, so between Jakob and James ) on the right from James is Jude

Picture 20: Yes thats Dylan, and the one staring I think you mean Barney..

Picture 25: Thats Jude again.

In Picture 14 is Eoghan, If you want to see him.. :)..
Are you sure about the 2nd picture ? :lol: :lol:
4th- agree
5; 14th- also agree
20- baah- I get lost for a while :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Murkskis on Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.