Concert@Epsom Playhouse 18/03/2011

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

Thank you Dani and Rebecca for fast reports!
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Thanks Dani and Rebecca, i felt all the excitement before, during and after the concert! So happy, i'm sure everyone there had a great and unforgettable time.

So far, the top news for me are:

1. No Josh but Liam might be referring to him when he said some big boys were at home studying. He didn't say retire so that's good.
No Matthew M too, maybe he's not comfortable yet without his brother.

2. The use of a projector. Some of us have been requesting for ages to use it for close-ups so people can see who is doing the solo. Did they use it that way though or just for graphics?

3. New songs. Literally, plus digging into their vast reservoir of songs dating back from Angel Voices. Maybe in the future we'd hear San Damiano, For the Beauty of the Earth and Evening Falls too.

4. Ralph now the main soloist. I'm so happy for him, he deserves it. Exactly a year ago in their Spring tour, Ben was still the main soloist. Stefan took over from him the latter part of 2010. So it's a short stint for Stefan but he did a very good job.

5. New solo parts and new kids. Exciting isn't it? But i'm still kinda sad it seems Kavana didn't get a solo yet. It would be nice too to see Jakob doing Lead Kindly Light.
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

Benj wrote:
3. New songs. Literally, plus digging into their vast reservoir of songs dating back from Angel Voices. Maybe in the future we'd hear San Damiano, For the Beauty of the Earth and Evening Falls too.
Jubilate and Lamentione are not completely NEW new songs since Libera performed them back in 2005. They certainly haven't done those pieces for a while.

I'm more curious about Song of Life. How did it sound?
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madine_lover

Post by madine_lover »

Rebecca (: wrote:That was the most amazing night of my life!!!! :D :D
As people will probably say, I was going quite insane before hand, and during, but to an okay level I think :lol:

The soloists might not be right, but here goes my best shot!
(the piano was blocking part of the stage, but it was fine)

Jubliate chained with Libera
Freddie and Cassius speech
Eternal Light - Stefan and Ralph
Sanctissima - Ralph
Sanctus (it was AMAZING!)
Kavana speech
Alwys with You - Freddie with Jakob on the Ah's
Song of Life - Ralph. This was beyond words! In my top 5 favorite songs ever for sure!! LOVED it!
Salva Me - Stefan and ? (piano was blocking)
Lamentione - Ralph on the Ah's (I have writtien down that the low parts were very nice : ) )
Exultate - Stefan and Daniel. The moving was very cool!

Interval

Mysterium - Ralph chained wth Gloria
Freddie speech again
Fountain - Ralph
When a Knight - Ralph
Stay with me - ? on the Ah's and Daniel (AMAZING solo from Daniel!)
Liam speech, saying that some of the older boys are at home studying
Ave Verum - Carlos
Love and Mercy - James and Freddie
Going Home - James and Daniel
Jude speech ("Hi I'm Jude! I'm new!")
How Shall I sing - Jakob and Stefan
encore: the Exultate reprise!

During the whole first 2 songs, mini-ben was staring right at me :lol: and I also made eye contact with Jonathan, Jakob, Liam, and Daniel, who looked at me for all of the Fountain. Also, my mom said Liam was staring at me a lot, guess I didn't see that :roll:

Afterwords we hung around, just to see if they'd come out, and a few of them did!! I got my picture taken with Stefan, Daniel and Ben and got Daniel and Ben's autographs! I was talking with Ben for a few minutes, and he said that he hopes no one sees him staying after to take pictures and sign :lol:
I also had a run in with Tom - literally! I was going up to say hi to him, and he came running down the stairs and nearly flattened me! It was all good though, cause I got to say hi and take his picture :D

It was overall the best experience of my life! I loved meeting everyone and talking before the concert! It was a ton of fun!
I was even tearing up before and during the concert, it was just that amazing!More to come once I'm home tomorrow, hopefully!

Thanks for the review :)
Can't wait for the pictures :)
"...when we came together, we made the sound, that is LIBERA ..."
http://madinelover.blogspot.com
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Morning all,

Internet problems have plagued me – for some reason I can only connect to the next door hotel (despite the management at mine assuring me that there is no problem with their internet) and it only works at weird times.

So, much of the detail is already provided which is a shame because for the first time I tried to make notes as we went along. Ah, well such is life.

First up, the 23 did not include Mine or his brother. Line up:

- Henry Barrington
- Jonathan Barrington
- Tiarnan Brandson
- Jude Collins
- Luke Collins
- Liam Connery
- Kavana Crossley
- Jakob de Menezes-Wood
- Dylan Duffy
- Daniel Fontanaz
- Freddie Ingles
- Matthew Jansen
- Stefan Leadbeater
- Alex Leggett
- Barney Lindsell
- Eoghan McCarthy
- James Mordaunt
- Samuel Moriarty
- Cassius O'Connell-White
- Benedict Philipp
- Matthew Rangel-Alvares
- Carlos Rodriguez
- Ralph Skan

The song line up has already been listed so I’ll skip that and Rebecca did well on giving the facts of who sang what; not sure how as I was pretty sure she wouldn’t survive until the end of the show!

Good news is that the stage wasn’t high at all and was perfect viewing from the front row. Stage set up was as usual – piano on left and RP keyboard to right. Supporting musicians as before (Steven, percussion man, string quartet (although this time strings had a bloke with them)). There were 6 tall mikes and two low mikes at the front of the stage and the projector showing abstract images, sometimes hazy footage of hooded enrobed boys.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

2. The use of a projector. Some of us have been requesting for ages to use it for close-ups so people can see who is doing the solo. Did they use it that way though or just for graphics?

4. Ralph now the main soloist. I'm so happy for him, he deserves it. Exactly a year ago in their Spring tour, Ben was still the main soloist. Stefan took over from him the latter part of 2010. So it's a short stint for Stefan but he did a very good job.

5. New solo parts and new kids. Exciting isn't it? But i'm still kinda sad it seems Kavana didn't get a solo yet. It would be nice too to see Jakob doing Lead Kindly Light.
The projecter was just used for grapics and was there because of the Epsom playhouse as it would of been theres , not Liberas.

Stefans voice has changed or is on the brink . He went from having about 90% of solos last year to about two songs last night and even they seemed stripped back so he didnt reach them high notes. If he was ill then he would not of been on stage .
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Before I start on the performance just to note it was a much more interesting mix of fans this time. Dare I say a generally younger audience and more women too. Definitely lots of friends and family and some quite unLibera like whooping and shouting at the end of each song :lol:

So, first miss of the night was when we missed our chance to applaud RP. He appeared at the piano (which was huge and blocked those people seated in the lower rows on stage left) and the concert started (we made up for it at the start of the second half when we applauded him back on to stage though). I was quite surprised at the rework just about all the songs had had - new musical accompaniments and harmonies on every song. Robert has worked hard to keep the show fresh.

Jubilate - OK so we open with Jubilate and the first hint of things to come; no Stefan but no soloist to speak of, a group of boys sang this.

Libera - straight from one song to another and the new fans sat next to me didn't realise that it was two songs when I spoke to them at the interval! I spotted Stefan and Luke singing this one.

Speech - Freddie + Cassius (each speak in turn but it is pretty much the speech Freddie did last year). Freddie got a laugh with the line about the last song being Libera which was written before he was born!
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Eternal Light - Stefan retained this and could still sing some high parts but he seemed to struggle a little at times. Now, I thought the same as dani about his voice breaking but it might be something more mundane. We can hope. Anyway, he was also joined by Ralph and Daniel, Ralph singing the last verse on his own.

Sanctissima - Ralph, but I did see that Ben sang more than just the general harmony; he seemed to be doing kind of a counter melody???

Sanctus - This had a nice intro of strings and clarinet of the 'real' Pachebel's canon before the boys started to sing and those boys sang it perfectly. They were spread in an arc (semi circle) with the biggest in the centre. Ralph sang the final Sanctus at the end.

Kavana speech, but no conducting :( Says that they have to lear a lot of parts and that Libera has 8 harmony parts
going on at the same time.

Always With You - Freddie did the solo (very well) with Jakob on the high part. Have to say it was cracking and not to underestimate what a great job both boys did. Freddie was strong and clear and Jakob was pure crystal on his 'aaahhhhh's'. Lush purple lighting. Interesting staging on this one.

Freddie was front and centre (so we knew what was coming) and the rest of the boys formed up in a wave of 4 groups, sort of wedge shaped, facing inwards with head bowed and eyes closed.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Song of Life - show cased Ralph's voice very nicely, nice light aaahhhh bridge in the middle and when Ralph sang the versus it sounded quite unlike any other Libera song. RP played piano on this and it is a must have song (if you were in any doubt). I'll do lyrics later if nobody beats me to it).

Salva - split in to four groups on stage and and Matthew RA did the Salva part. The screen showed figures of some hooded boys walking across from right to left and at one point one of the boys does a spin with arms out (that footage is out there somewhere but it had been softened and made hazy with some digital affects).

Barney speech - about Salva being plainsong but with Libera spin and he also introduced the various musicians (each applauded, percussion man did a little drum roll thing when he was mentioned).
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
lucyjubilate

Post by lucyjubilate »

Yorkie wrote:Eternal Light - Stephan retained this and could still sing some high parts but he seemed to struggle a little at times. Now, I thought the same as dani about his voice breaking but it might be something more mundane. We can hope. Anyway, he was also joined by Ralph and Daniel, Ralph singing the last verse on his own.

Sanctissima - Ralph, but I did see that Ben sang more than just the general harmony; he seemed to be doing kind of a counter melody???

Sanctus - This had a nice intro of strings and clarinet of the 'real' Pachebel's canon before the boys started to sing and those boys sang it perfectly. They were spread in an arc (semi circle) with the biggest in the centre. Ralph sang the final Sanctus at the end.

Kavana speech, but no conducting :( Says that they have to lear a lot of parts and that Libera has 8 harmony parts
going on at the same time.

Always With You - Freddie did the solo (very well) with Jakob on the 'Liam' part. Have to say it was cracking and not to underestimate what a great job both boys did. Freddie was strong and clear and Jakob was pure crystal on his 'aaahhhhh's'. Lush purple lighting. Interesting staging on this one.

Freddie was front and centre (so we knew what was coming) and the rest of the boys formed up in a wave of 4 groups, sort of wedge shaped, facing inwards with head bowed and eyes closed.
Thank you Yorkie for your great review! I was looking forward to Kavana's conduction, too and it's a pity that they abolished that. As for Stefan he was struggling but I tend to believe he was just in bad conditions yesterday. For I was at St. Philip's evensong two weeks ago on 6th March. And his high notes were powerful and bright and remarkable as usual that day. So will a boy's voice change so rapid? I know nothing about this for I am a girl... :(
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lamentione (Lament on 'Free' album) - not sure why the name was changed because it was the song we are familiar with and but it is a welcome addition to the song list.

Interesting formation here with the boys forming semi circles facing to the right of stage, kneeling (I think?). Most were hooded and all had their arms held in front so that the sleeves met and you couldn't see their hands.

I counted nine boys who did not raise their hoods, but couldn't quite see them all but I think it was Stefan, James, Flynn, Daniel, Alex, Barney, Matthew RA, Freddie and Ralph. Ralph did the high AAhhhh parts, but there was no real solo. Really, really liked it.

Exultate - same staging as last year, staggered line, step forward, step back. Stefan with Daniel & Ben supporting on first part then Ralph and Stefan on second part.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Sorry for lots of posts but I'm scared of losing the connection.
On to the second half of the show (after some very positive reviews of the first half during the interval chats).

Mysterium - worked well, but can't replace the atmosphere of a cathedral. Very sombre string intro. The boys came on hooded from left and right and then Ralph removed his hood and sang all the high AAAHHHH parts (no Stefan unfortunately).

Gloria - during the instrumental bridge from Mysterium the boys formed a long horseshoe shape line across the stage and removed hoods one by one from the centre. Daniel gave it the old powerhouse vocals on the high part.

Speech (Freddie) about memorising words, positions and practising finding places blindfolded.

Fountain - sung by Kavana & Ralph and it was good to see my fellow Leeds fan take centre stage for a moment :D - hope you have recovered from the shock of meeting me at the science museum and pestering me for my autograph and photo Kavana :twisted: Stunning RP piano intro of the Chopin music.

When A Knight - new arrangement involving piano and recorder, Ralph sang this really well. This is a staple British school hymn although it has never been sung as well imho.

Stay With Me - was this good or what? problem was I couldn't see who was at the back of the wedge shape doing the the high Liam part??? Daniel was at the front of the wedge doing the Ed parts. Did notice James M tapping his foot to the tune though! Strong stuff from Daniel, what a star. #edit# F_D_L confirms it is Matthew RA on the high notes.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Last bit....

Liam speech - one of the older boys, singing lower part (similar to Josh voice break speech). Exciting to discover new voice and do low harmonies.

Ave Verum - ooops, confession. No sleep, hangover and I can't remember who sang this. Well, I have an idea it was Carlos or Matthew RA (don't know why I mix those two up :oops: ) who supplied the high note over the group singing. Anyways, nicely done sir.

Love and Mercy - James did the first verse with Freddie (and I believe Daniel) singing the second (some disagreement on that last night but I'm sure Dan sang the second verse as well but as a second treble, just a bit below Freddie). I now have a strange note that I made that says 'Alex 3rd' ????? Anyways, James did the Mercy and Love finish.

Going Home - String instrument intro. James and Daniel. Tears and sniffles. Need I say more?

Jude did the Cassius speech of last year (and with a fair bit of gusto - he sure put his little heart in to it bless him). Really long applause for him coz he was so cute.

How Shall I Sing - Jakob and Stefan No worries for Stefan here he made the high notes without a problem

Exultate reprise. Don't care for it myself and it is a shortened versio. After a standing ovation of great length and warmth we deserve more ( another 20 songs more perhaps).

Anyway, I can report that they are on the top of their game, no cobwebs and should take Canada by storm. I'm truly envious of those of you that are going.

As ever it was great to meet my Libera friends both old and new. thanks to the German fans for welcoming me + Paul and Rebecca + Dutch girl who's name I forget (sorry).
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Song Of Life lyrics:

There’s a whisper in the dark
As a new life comes to be.
Then a song begins to form
As it finds the harmony
With a chorus of sound
Of the world all around
Now it blends in the tune
Joining the endless song of life

We shall never be alone
As we link our hearts in one
Joining voices from above,
All in the miracle of life,
Through the ages we will grow
Only time will ever know,
As our voices magnify,
All in the miracle of life.

Love plays along in our lives yet to come
As we join the song of life.

Now the music starts to build
As the words begin to rhyme
Then another lends a tune
As their voices now combine
With the chorus of sound
Of the world all around
Now they blend their tune
Sharing the endless song of life

We shall never be alone
As we link our hearts in one
Joining voices from above,
All the miracle of life,
Through the ages we will grow
Only time will ever know,
As our voices magnify,
All in the miracle of life.

Love plays along in our lives yet to come
As we join in the song of life.

Can I describe a song? Doubtful but the little taster clip posted elsewhere will help. I jotted down some notes as I went but they are hard to read......

Started with RP on the piano and then Ralph sings with a soft but clear voice, hitting some quite high notes. I think he was alone on first verse with others joining in on the chorus ('joining voices from above' = voices joining Ralph singing).

There was then a bit where Ralph did a musical bridgeof Libera trademark AAHHHH's that had some really high notes - higher than we have heard in a Libera song for a while I think.

The second verse was back to Ralph on his own, with more joining in on the chorus again, then Ralph ending with the last two lines.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

lucyjubilate wrote: Thank you Yorkie for your great review! I was looking forward to Kavana's conduction, too and it's a pity that they abolished that. As for Stefan he was struggling but I tend to believe he was just in bad conditions yesterday. For I was at St. Philip's evensong two weeks ago on 6th March. And his high notes were powerful and bright and remarkable as usual that day. So will a boy's voice change so rapid? I know nothing about this for I am a girl... :(
Morning. Thanks for your input re Stefan. I feared the worst last night but after a good three hours sleep :shock: I'm not as worried this morning. Yes, his voice could be changing but there are alternative explanations.

Voice breaking/changing can happen at any time and be instant or be slow and gradual like Josh. There is no 'normal' way - but it will happen in its own time.

On a selfish note I hope his voice hasn't changed yet and that we get more solo's from him. But if it has then I'm also happy for Stefan too. To steal a quote from some old hack 'parting with our boys is such a sweet sorrow'. Sad to no longer hear them but pleased for them as they move on and grow up and discover new things in life.

Mercy & Love