Songs of Praise

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:Hmmmh, I've seen a few Queens at Libera concerts but dani wasn't one of them......
Royalty at a Libera concert yet, when? I've only seen a mayor in bling.

Should be getting a sneak preview about the content of Libera's performance on next week Songs of Praise at the end of this week's programme. Which should be in about 23 mins from now....

Edit: Check it out Libera preview SoP 09012011.wmv - 4.88MB

As expected Ben was singing solo, and I could just about make out Liam and Alex at the back but the camera didn't film long enough to make out who was in the back row on the left side.
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

JimmyRiddle wrote:As expected Ben was singing solo, and I could just about make out Liam and Alex at the back but the camera didn't film long enough to make out who was in the back row on the left side.
Sammy and Tiarnan maybe?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

JimmyRiddle wrote:As expected Ben was singing solo
alas I think the song will be the CD and not a live recording... no ?
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Lexi wrote:Sammy and Tiarnan maybe?
Probably, but I think they might have the full squad on this one, including all the backrow, as there's room for lots of low voices in Sanctissima
fan_de_LoK wrote:alas I think the song will be the CD and not a live recording... no ?
More than likely, mind you I don't think any artist who's performed on Songs of Praise as actually been recorded as 'live', apart from the Hymns sung by congregation and the 'Big Sing' Christmas specials at the Royal Albert Hall.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Hmmmh, I've seen a few Queens at Libera concerts but dani wasn't one of them......
Royalty at a Libera concert yet, when? I've only seen a mayor in bling.
Errrmm, i'll take the 5th on that one.........

JimmyRiddle wrote:As expected Ben was singing solo, and I could just about make out Liam and Alex at the back but the camera didn't film long enough to make out who was in the back row on the left side.
Yes, Yorkie scores again :D It just made sense that this would be a farewell for Ben (although another possibility is Ralph's cough - the poor lad was really suffering that week in Bristol/Chester when the SoP video was filmed). F_D_L and I sat through the rehearsal at Chester and I'm surprised he performed as well as he did in the concert.

Maybe it was going to be filmed live and with Ralph but it wasn't possible....
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Libera73
Silver Member

Post by Libera73 »

omg.. i never knew they mimed! damn, i dont like that :(
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Libera73 wrote:omg.. i never knew they mimed! damn, i dont like that :(
Josh HAD to mime (lip-synch) the Lullaby video. His voice was too low by then.
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

when my mom saw the Lullabye video, she was like, "how old is he, hasn't his voice changed YET?"

i had to explain, and it was pretty funny. though i was crying inside!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Libera73 wrote:omg.. i never knew they mimed! damn, i dont like that :(
Some made for t.v. viedeos are mimed to the album soundtrack - they don't mime when they sing 'live' at concerts and such. I'm not sure all their SoP appearances have been mimed, but some have. I'm sure one they did back in 2010 showed the new boys against an older recording ......

There is also a school of thought that their guest appearance on Last Choir Standing (Orinocco Flow) was mimed but I'm not sure myself (and mimed is possibly the wrong word - they probably sing it live for SoP but they then replace the original sound track with the CD version). All music videos are mimed and then the studio recording is dubbed over the top - Libera are no different.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I wouldn't worry too much, they are doing no different to what other artists do on recorded TV performances.

At least when it comes to singing live... i.e. 'When Will I Be Famous' and the performances at the Yankee Stadium and Crystal Cathedral they don't mime. Cherly Cole and Justin Beiber mimed during a 'LIVE' performance on X Factor, Black Eyed Peas didn't mime and left you wondering what amazing effects auto-tune and the studio can do to some people's voices. I could probably release a hit CD with my tone-death singing voice if I studio enhanced it.

At least when Libera do sing live, they do a very fine job of it. More than fine, they are pretty excellent.

The only possibly occassion I think Robert Prizeman would have chosen to have started again would have been the Kennedy Centre Awards. That's only because I think he's a bit of a perfectionist. He has to be to keep Libera at the standard they are at.
paopao

Post by paopao »

Yorkie wrote:
There is also a school of thought that their guest appearance on Last Choir Standing (Orinocco Flow) was mimed but I'm not sure myself (and mimed is possibly the wrong word - they probably sing it live for SoP but they then replace the original sound track with the CD version). All music videos are mimed and then the studio recording is dubbed over the top - Libera are no different.
yes they probably sing during the show, the sound engineers would do some adjustment to the volume of their microphones (or even mute them) and turn the sound track from the CD up, so we get that lip-sync impression. Happens all the time, it's just how Showbiz world works. so like Jimmy said, i wouldn't worry about that.
JimmyRiddle wrote: I could probably release a hit CD with my tone-death singing voice if I studio enhanced it.
:lol:
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote: I think maybe the reason why they dont do more English concerts is it seems they do the same concert over and over for pretty much a year. So they dont mix them up so maybe the feeling behind that is people would get bored of seeing the same thing over and over.
So not true - and every band and stand up comic tours with the same show and gets the same people turning up time after time.
Yes on tours, artist just do the same thing over and over again. But i agree with Dani cause Libera's got hundreds of songs dating back from the Angel Voices days. They don't have to keep on doing Salva Me and Libera at every concert they do.

There many possible variations they can do. They can perform some mentioned in this thread-- San Damiano or For the Beauty of the Earth and even Always There just to liven things up. I'm sure they can sing them in concerts- no sweat.

I think the reason why some don't like Lacrymosa and the Lamb, specially in concerts, is that these songs are just too slow. Everybody absolutely love Ben and we wish he'd have another solo or duet but some just aren't fond of some songs given to him.

With regards to miming on music videos, i think none of us can be absolutely sure. These are all speculative. They definitely do not mime in concerts and that's what matters. I've seen a couple of concerts and their high standards make their live versions sometimes even better than the recordings cause they're powerful yet strikingly gentle on the audience ears.
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Would someone in the UK go to the BBC One web page and check the clip for the Libera song? I can't play it in the US. It says it is 50 seconds long. Just wondering if it's 50 seconds of Sanctissima. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00d6trh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lauren
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Lexi wrote:Would someone in the UK go to the BBC One web page and check the clip for the Libera song? I can't play it in the US. It says it is 50 seconds long. Just wondering if it's 50 seconds of Sanctissima. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00d6trh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lauren
Hi Lauren

Pretty much exactly the same as the short preview we had at the end of sundays' programme.

Although slightly different angle which confirmed Josh and JB also singing on the backrow. Looks like it's the full squad.

I think they'll shorten the song on Sunday they usually do, but should still get a decent offering.
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Thank you, Jimmy!!! :D

Lauren