Lament lyrics

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Lament lyrics

Post by maartendas »

Does anyone know what passages from Jeremiah are adapted for the lyrics of Lament? I'm afraid my Latin isn't what it used to be... :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
paopao

Re: Lament lyrics

Post by paopao »

maartendas wrote:Does anyone know what passages from Jeremiah are adapted for the lyrics of Lament? I'm afraid my Latin isn't what it used to be... :wink:
i want to know too so i did some search and found that it's from Lamentations 2:11
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you paopao!
I already figured it had something to do with the fall of Jerusalem at the beginning of the Babylonian exile, which is a biblical theme I intend to explore more because I think it has a strong meaning for my own life. So naturally I was curious about the exact lyrics for Lament.

Curious detail about the passage number: the number 11 has been with me all my life, and this year number 2 has been popping up a lot (mostly in the form of pairs - of things or instances etc).
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

See this
http://www.boysoloist.com/lyrics.asp?Tr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tistID=167
After the book Jeremiah in the bible you find
Lamentations(oF Jeremiah ) it has 5 chapters and you find The trouble he Jeremiah has seen .By reading this, you become aware of al the things happened
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you worshipper28!
Actually I'm aware of the existence of the book of Lamentations, I just accidentally typed Jeremiah in my original post :)

Too bad to read about the mistakes in Latin in the lyrics though...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: Too bad to read about the mistakes in Latin in the lyrics though...
It makes no difference to me or 99.99% of other Libera fans as we don't speak Latin. the song sounds beautiful though.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

You also need to understand that Latin words can have multiple English translations and it also depends on the translator. I took Latin in school for 3 years and had enormous difficulty trying to figure out some of the meanings of words.

Also, Biblical Latin and regular Latin tend to differ in several ways.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

And then there's also... Libera Latin :wink:

It's nice that you studied Latin in school. I did too but switched to Greek. I can still make out some Latin words though, although I used to be much better. Nice how Libera can actually bring some of that back :)