UK concert serie announced! - Autumn 2010

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

carina_gino20 wrote:
Chicken and egg situation. Without more tours, how do people in the UK get to know them aside from the short appearances in this show and that.
I think logically they should do more shows in London as they always get bigger crowds here. And Arundal is now popular due to them performing there once a year.
Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

Now resized...

Can anyone give names for the new boys? From left to right: Mine, Daniel, Carlos, Matthew R-A, new boy, Matthew Jansen, new boy, Freddie.
Last edited by Thunderhawk261 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Nicki wrote: So what is that mystery lyric we were having trouble deciphering a couple weeks ago? I think you said it sounded like, "In the spirit of all life," or something like that.
Thoughts of love surround you
Everywhere around you
May your heart discover
All the magic and the wonder

Inside every moment
Deeper than the ocean
I just want to show you
All the beauty and the glory

In this clear eternal light
This miracle of light
You will never lose your way
Because the eternal light will find you
and guide you

Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here
But you’ll never be alone here

This miracle of light
Because the eternal light will find you
And guide you every day

Ahhh Ahhh Ahhh….

There are times of long and sleepless nights
But I will bring you peace and hope
shining like a rainbow

This miracle of light
This eternal light will find you
To shine its guiding light on you

This miracle of light
This eternal light will find you
And guide you in all life

Ahhh Ahhh Ahhh…
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Matthew rangel alves is not a new boy and Barney and Dylan are the new boys but not sure which is which
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thunderhawk261 wrote:Sorry about the image size...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can anyone give names for the new boys? From left to right: Mine, Daniel, Carlos, Matthew R-A or new boy(?), new boy, Matthew Jansen, new boy, Freddie.
You seriously need to re-size that photo, it's stolen all the limelight from me :cry:

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

LoL Yorkie~ i never knew you was such a diva ;)

And just for you a new page :D
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Thanks to everyone who have provided writeups for the UK concerts so far. How I wish they were back here in the Philippines with a full concert (like last year) and it was me doing some reporting instead of reading. But that's life... they can't be here every time.

It seems Mysterium is getting rave reviews every time. I wonder why they didn't sing it in the mini-concert they had here in Manila back in April. They probably couldn't have pulled it off on the relatively small stage of the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, but it would have been nice to have seen this live even without the intricate choreography hindered by the limited space of the auditorium. How unfortunate Ed wasn't here last year. I've read before that Mysterium was the only difference between the Celtic Tour and the Philippine Tour of last year. All the rave reviews are making me curious about it.

For those who bought the luxury edition Peace, any details about the DVD goodies yet?
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Yorkie wrote:
Thunderhawk261 wrote:Sorry about the image size...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can anyone give names for the new boys? From left to right: Mine, Daniel, Carlos, Matthew R-A or new boy(?), new boy, Matthew Jansen, new boy, Freddie.
You seriously need to re-size that photo, it's stolen all the limelight from me :cry:
LOL. :lol: :lol:
Pretty much made your ultimate report difficult to read, but you'll be glad to know I copied and pasted the whole thing to notepad so that I could read your brilliant writing the way you want them read. :wink:

Seriously, Yorkie, thanks for the detailed post. If the French has FDL & co, Dreams got you.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Excellent recounting of tonight's show, Yorkie! 8)

Mysterium was performed with the help of the local organist in each of the American shows this summer. Though the staging differed from location to location it was pretty stunning everywhere. Your description helped bring back some pleasant memories.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

dani wrote:
tom413 wrote:I'm liking it. :D

It's the first extremely detailed post I've read.
Even FDL has been reduced to excerpts so far.

Too be fair i didnt want to go into to much detail in case i ruined the surprise for people seeing it today.
Now that both shows are over, bring it on! I'm willing to read as many detailed accounts of people's experiences as they are willing to write.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

whitetail1985 wrote:Well for the crowd size being low, I know they needed some help with publicizing these to concerts in particular. So the small audience might not have been a shock to them. http://blog.libera.org.uk/2010/10/09/ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... upporters/

So I'm guessing the next shows will have a larger audience.
I read in someone's post that they were aware of what the advanced sale figures were so they must have had some idea.

Makes me wonder if the problem was price or marketing.

The free admission/donation accepted plan might have worked wonders if it was price; if it was marketing, I wonder if the crowd would have been improved if different host churches were selected. In the Texas churches in particular, it seemed that the pastors went out of their way to encourage attendance at those concerts and their congregations responded accordingly. I remember similar support in California the year before.
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

tom413 wrote:Excellent recounting of tonight's show, Yorkie! 8)

Mysterium was performed with the help of the local organist in each of the American shows this summer. Though the staging differed from location to location it was pretty stunning everywhere. Your description helped bring back some pleasant memories.
Yes, thank you for your enthusiastic review, Yorkie! We can tell you're wound up from the excitement of the night, although given the time there, I hope you're sleeping by now. :D

We also thought Mysterium was amazing performed live. Goosebumps! And thank you for the words to Eternal Light!

Lauren
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

thank you everyone!

i wish i could be there, but this is the next best thing, and it is wonderful! what would i do without you guys??
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Random thoughts.

Ralph now seems to be a very important part of the group filling in a lot of the harmonies and high parts. He had quite a bad cough yesterday and many times during the rehearsal he coughed during a song. Think we got away with it in the evening apart from one incident.

Jimmy called the Mysterium spot on - in the UK at this time of year it is totally dark by the time they perform (in Edinburgh and Arundel there was just a hint of light). In an 800 year old cathedral the mix of darkness, coloured lighting, organ, mournful song and beauty of the building is just wow. Not my favourite song if I was to listen to the albums but it is head and shoulders above anything else when it comes to show time - chills down spine. And I saw it twice
:D :D :D

I missed it but apparently during the afternoon sound check (when I was hitting the streets to try and sell tickets) there was a lot of fun when Ben And Tom were kneeling in front of the low mikes and pretending to be some of the little boys with high voices! Also, as part of the sound check Steven played the piano and is a very good pianist. They had to go out and buy a small lamp to place on the piano for RP so that he could see his music.

Big Ben. I tried to engage him in conversation about when Lullabye was recorded but he wasn't saying much other than it was done when they recorded the rest of the album. I didn't press it as he was working at the time. He does hum to himself in quite a boyish way as he carries things back and forth though :lol:

Another fan asked Tom if he could take a photo and Tom said 'please don't' - not in a nasty way but in an embarrassed teenager way. Mind you he wasn't quite as shy later when one of the Japanese girls was after his autograph :wink:

At the start of the show we had a man from the cathedral giving us safety warnings (what to do in the event of a fire) and a prayer (I also remember that on each hour of the day people are asked to pause and listen to a prayer broadcast over the speaker system. The 12.00 one had a special prayer for Libera and their families). Mr Philipp then said a few words and asked those of us with the CD/DVD not to upload its contents before the official release date.

Finally, Mr & Mrs Philipp are genuinely 100% nice people (and I'm sure the rest are too but I didn't get the chance to speak to them). I think we are lucky to have them involved in Libera and I don't think that will end when Ben leaves.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I can’t really add to what Yorkie and FDL have kindly graced us with but I’ll add a few thoughts;

The concert was perfectly executed both vocally and in presentation. I agree with Yorkie that with the Steven G led instrumental band, this led to a more realistic interpretation of the songs and actually helped you focus more on the solos. You didn’t find yourself wincing as powerful electronic sound effects came through the speakers.

I was very impressed with the new songs I hadn’t heard before in a live setting; Fountain, Eternal Light, Exsultate and How Shall I Sing Your Majesty.

Stefan and Ralph did carry most of the solo work, but all the boys played their parts well, even Mathew A who did the little Liam bits for Stay with Me. I did wonder why Jacob didn’t get more solo duties because his voice was very soothing and clear. Typical trademark voice connected with his gene pool. Carlos did seem a little nervous but he’s still finding his way, and to be honest it didn’t affect his solo that much.

Mysterium was stunning as expected. I really enjoyed the organ intro and choreography between the boys and Stefan as they beckoned him towards them with their ‘ooooh’s and ‘aaaaah’s (sorry couldn’t think of how else to put it lol). It wouldn’t be fair to make any comparison with Ed because he was at a much more advanced stage of development when he blew us away on the Celtic Tour. That said Stefan was pretty faultless with his solo execution.

Mini James’s voice was soft and delicate as expected for his tender years, but he and Freddie didn’t put a foot wrong, and I was particularly impressed with Going Home by MJ. He projects a relaxed stage presence and in some ways reminds me of Josh in that respect. I’m sure there are many more songs lined up for him in the future.

The standing ovation was a bit slow on its legs, but the small turnout did eventually rise to the occasion and I particularly remember seeing the boys faces light up with smiles when this happened. It’s worth giving them a standing ovation just to see that.

The turnout was tragic though for this gifted set of boys, and all the hard work they put into giving us so much joy. Sorry FDL I think 300 might be a bit optimistic. Half the pews were empty and some of the rows only had 4-5 people sat on them the further back you went. I would put it more at 150-200 max. I know times are hard, but is £15 really too much to ask for a superb evening of musical entertainment offered by the generation of our future?

Gutted there was no photo opportunity at the end. I had a nice new camera ready to share pictures with you all and I only went and left my copy of the deluxe CD/DVD behind tucked between the legs of two chairs. Still I was going to cancel the one I had on order with HMV, but I'll keep it going now. It's more money in Libera's fund.