Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:Hoe long is your " tedios" story going to take lol? :p
You know me dani, straight to the point :wink:

haha we will see :lol:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

tom413 wrote:I'm liking it. :D

It's the first extremely detailed post I've read.
Even FDL has been reduced to excerpts so far.

Too be fair i didnt want to go into to much detail in case i ruined the surprise for people seeing it today.
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

dani wrote:
tom413 wrote:I'm liking it. :D

It's the first extremely detailed post I've read.
Even FDL has been reduced to excerpts so far.

Too be fair i didnt want to go into to much detail in case i ruined the surprise for people seeing it today.
Please, keep going! Loving this! :D
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

Well for the crowd size being low, I know they needed some help with publicizing these to concerts in particular. So the small audience might not have been a shock to them. http://blog.libera.org.uk/2010/10/09/ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... upporters/

So I'm guessing the next shows will have a larger audience.
Dennis
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thirst suitably quenched I decided to go back inside the cathedral and bingo! Two of the three Frenchmen (well actually Viabuona is Swiss) had started a queue in the cloister.

After saying hello who should process in but our young heroes most of whom said hello and smiled and waved as they filed past. Obviously they knew the handsome Yorkie when they saw him 8)

And now for the interesting part. Chester cathedral is open to the public and as I mentioned they charge an entrance fee for sightseers. Not wanting to cut off their supply of cash the cathedral was still open. For Libera's sound check. Oh, and did I mention for the rehearsal as well?

So, Patrick and I sat at the back whilst the boys did a series of sound checks. Some did scales, some sang numbers (1 to 8 and back) there were quite a few different styles. And then they started to practice the song list. Eternal Light, Far away, Sanctus, etc, etc, Mysterium, etc, etc.

Did I mention Mysterium? YES! :D . Stefan had a couple of goes at timing his walk up the centre aisle. Anyway, at about 17.30 we were asked to leave as they were closing the cathedral so we returned back to the queue having seen a large part of the concert already.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Still with me?

By now we had a couple of Japanese ladies with us and two more Brits. We then had the opportunity to buy programmes (identical to the Bristol concert (except for the place and date of course)) which is a huge improvement on the previous UK sad affairs. Similar in style to the ones used in many of the US venues I believe but lacking in photo's of the boys. It does have the full song lyrics though so if anybody wants the official version of Eternal Light I can supply it. They were also selling the deluxe edition of Peace for £15. Of course I didn't buy one........

During the afternoon I had asked Mr Philipp which rows were designated as 'premium' and he said the first three. Well about 20 minutes before they opened the doors a gentleman came up to us and said that we would be let in to the cathedral in groups of 12 and that the first four rows were for premium tickets and there would be a little rope across the aisle beyond which only the God like could pass. the riffraff had to make do with the leftovers.

And so at 19.00 in we went. F_D_L and I were amongst the first four and easily got seats on the front row. I sat on the audience right (behind RP's keyboard) and F_D_L was on the left by RP's piano.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Wheres the rest of the report?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So, on to the show. The same set list as Bristol on Wednesday and the same 25 boys.

I have to say that I was very impressed by the guys tonight. You'll remember that Arundel in May got some mixed reactions and I understand that the early US concerts had a few problems. But tonight was definitely an 'A' game night.

I'm terrible at describing songs and taking note of the singers so I'll leave that to the others. I know the French fans have full reviews waiting to go and who sang what, but they have struggled to get wifi on this trip. I'll leave them to provide the detail.

But do you know what, I can't pick out a bad song. Even the ones that I'm not that hot on from the album (Exultate, Sanctissima) were brilliant live and RP had pulled out all the stops with some subtle and not so subtle changes to the arrangements and intro's to the songs. We also got Kavana's conductor piece and that is fantastic - why have we not had that before. That got applause in the middle and at the end as did another speech (was it Josh????) when he said Freddie and Mini-James had sung the last song (Love and Mercy) -applause- and Stefan was up next -applause for Stefan- and speech finished - applause.

The Speakers were the same as the US concerts Freddie (twice), Ben and the volcano, Josh and his voice, Kavanan's conducting and Cassius.

I'd like to say a little bit about the music tonight. As well as the four girls on the string instruments we also has a guy on percussion with a big gong (no sniggering ladies please). RP alternated between keyboard and piano and we also had Steven on keyboards and various whistle type things (ok clarinet and recorder). Overall the sound was a lot more acoustic tonight and seem to rely less on the electronic sound - almost Libera unplugged as it where. It was great. They were set up at the back of the stage; Steven on the left, four lovely fiddlers in the middle and gong man on the right.

Also, I think RP gave a lot of the boys chances to have their own little parts rather than relying on the same three or four boys to do everything. An example was on Salva(~EDIT~ I now on reflection think it was Liam's parts on Stay with Me, sorry about that) where instead of one boy doing the Salva's he let a few of the younger boys each have a go (younger Akpobome had a turn and the next time it was a different kid). Because the young voices didn't quite have the power of Joe or Stefan it perhaps wasn't as forceful as their versions but it was a nice new take on that song and of course it means that more boys get more experience.

I lied. I do have a favourite. Mysterium. un-bloody-believable. There was a new intro involving the cathedrals organ. It was perfection and breathed a whole new life in to this already classic piece. The lights went out. It was completely dark except for a little coloured lighting (a red with slight purple tones, gone is the classic ghostly blue). A single hooded figure walked to the centre of the stage. As the sound of the organ washed over us we could catch a glimpse of some of the boys walking slowly, hooded, behind the back of the stage and down the right side.

Then the boys filed on from right and left to fill the stage. The lights swirled and the organ faded away leaving us to bask in the familiar resonating chant. And we waited. And we waited. I kept glancing to my left for Stefan and eventually he glided forwarded and on to the stage to take his place. And as the end of the song neared the organ picked up, gloriously, the end refrain until the lights went down and the boys formed a semi-circle. With the organ mournfully playing on the boys lowered their hoods in synchronised groups spreading from the centre to the right and left. The lights came up bathing everything in a warm golden glow and they seamlessly went in to Gloria.

Stunning.
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Oh, you make me want to go to the London concert now! :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lexi wrote:Oh, you make me want to go to the London concert now! :D
Do you know, it is going to be fantastic (if we get the full group - Stefan is the key man now so we just need to keep our fingers crossed). I'm desperate for November 19th to come ASAP (even though I will be a year older by then. Officially 22).
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

This is the Google translation of F_D_L's post on the French forum - it fills in the gaps of who sang which part that I can't give you (sorry to steal your thunder Patrick but these people can't wait any longer):

#edit# I've tried to tidy up Google's efforts by re-writing the post in a semblance of English.

Re: Cathedrals Tour Fall 2010 - CHESTER

Message Today at 00:58 by fan_de_LoK
The concert

1)Adoramus & Libera chained as one
Stefan went up the centre aisle all alone, reciting the first three sentences a capella
Are You the friend I cannot see?
Are You the one who cares for me?
Are you my hope of liberty?

Reaching the front row of seating before the stage, he turned to face the crowd and launched the last:
"Are you the Door, Are you the key?"
The gong is struck and powerful music starts, and the others arrive. they are presented in rows of two, in which Stefan fits securely in its place, by size order of the boys.

Adoramus finished we go without pause tp Libera , with Stefan & Luke center of the stage, 3 / 4 face to face, and the other in an arc around them by size.
Ralph provides excellent high notes.

2) Speech by Freddie "We Are Libera, introduced the choir, its location, the fact that some of them come from afar (he quotes from Ben's Surrey), and introduces the next song.

3) Time
As this summer, Josh sings his parts together with Ralf and Alex
Ben still sings his parts, not alone but accompanied by Daniel. They are placed both on the top step of the podium near the musicians.
In the end, during the musical bridge-aaahh aaahh, before the last verse of Daniel & Ben + All libera turn back to the public except on the right where Jakob continues to look at the audience, and does everything alone aaah -ahhh. Very well done! They all return to face us and sing the last verse.

4) Sanctus
Emblematic song of the group, always perfectly mastered, with Stephan ensuring the high parts with brio Smile. Nice string intro, very like the classical original which is a new edition to this song.

5) Sanctissima
One of the amendments to these new shows, it was Ralph who provides the solo, replacing Sammy, who himself had replaced Ben.
The provision on stage is full of respect for what it evokes. they appear in two rows, the smaller front (it was the largest in the U.S.), who kneel together at the beginning of the song, leaving Ralph in center, standing solo. The others are lined up behind them in second place.
While singing his solo part, Ralph knelt in turn during the first couplet and ends his song with others.
It must not be easy to manage to kneel while singing in tune

6) Eternal Light
RP played the grand piano.
Principal Soloist: Stefan, accompanied by Ralph and Daniel
I took few notes, sorry for the descriptions, but this song gives a great impression.
Even mmmm mmmmm are gorgeous!

7) Speech of Kavana: presentation of the fact that members of Libera sing different things simultaneously, and illustrates this by showing the combination of voice used to make an agreement on the song Libera.
Method of "leader", it brings into play alternately Daniel (who still has the highest notes) and then 3 or 4 others join in turn to Daniel by integrating their voice, then a gesture of Kavana they are silent together. At that time forward and the whole choir sing every 25 the word "Libera" according to the tune of the song.
And then the public become aware of the richness and diverse harmonies that make up the singing they give us.

I am very pleased that they have integrated into the European concerts this sketch. Very interesting and successful.

Ave Verum
RP still with the piano,
Jacob (left) and Carlos (right) are placed on the front of the stage and provide a few solo parts, Carlos sings, and Jakob sends back the answers at the end of his sentences. The upper parts are provided by Matthew RA.
Beautiful song in the end always very spectacular when they evolve slowly to position themselves in a "V" formation, with the tallest member (Josh?) at the center, and the others ranking by decreasing size on the sides. All with beautiful lighting effects!
You have to see this, it's really amazing the effect it gives when all the group launched and the last chorus!
On these new shows to fall, Josh has had the privilege of being at the front of the formation. Whenever I see them and it gives me an impression of the bow of a large ship slicing through the water with energy and determination Smile

9) Far Away
RP still with the piano (it's new and it plays the piano during the first part)
Solo part performed by Ralph, very good and new this autumn: it has made some Kavana soaring high note on this song.
Kavana very expressive when he sings a number by himself.

10) Salva Me
RP is returned to its central console.
Stephan sang the high parts with gusto.

11) Speech Mini-Ben
The text on the difficulties of returning home earlier this year, because of volcanic ash, and 5 days it took to cross Europe, instead of the two-hour flight from Athens to London initialiement provided.
Ben is a thank you to the public to come sometimes from distant countries, he cited Canada, France, Japan, Spain.
No pun on a small corner of the corn Wink

12) Exultate
Specific training Exultate: staggered in groups of three on the sides, with the center a group of 5 and mid Stephan and Ben.
Stefan sings the parts originally sung by Benl'introduction then resumed a capella at the end.
There are always these movements coordinated steps forward and back in support of the effects of rhythm and percussion of this song catchy.
Perfect song to finish with energy the first half of the concert (already!)

Entreacte.
We were able to make some purchases of CDs, but there were no goodies seen in the U.S. (no bag, t-shirts or posters).

13) second part, Mysterium
The intro is interpreted in the organ of the church by the local organist, meanwhile come from both sides in a long procession boys hooded, while the houoouuhooouu of the song.
The mysterious dialogue was managed as follows: Ralph standing at the back on the stage singing one part and Stefan walking up the center aisle.
Then they found themselves both side by side on the front of the stage, and making the final dialogue.
Vocally they were very very good both.

14) Gloria
Chained Mysterium with no downtime, and church organ music liaison for the public is not deceived and did not start clapping.
Besides Gloria was accompanied all along by the organ and it gave a very good result Smile
The libera were placed in an arc, leaving a space on the left, quickly filled by the arrival of Stephan and Ralph ...
Beautiful high notes provided by Daniel Smile

15) Second speech Freddie "Hello, it's me again"
He spoke of the airfoils as white and difficulty in memorizing the order of songs, music, words, movements often do in the dark and rehearsals they practice "blindfolded"
He concluded by introducing the next song based on a work by Chopin.

16) The Fountain
RP back to the piano, on the left of the stage and plays the intro very classic rendition of Chopin by RP, different from the album version.
The solo is performed by Ralph, impeccabl.
In fact he is accompanied on the front of the stage by Daniel

17) How Can I Keep From Singing
RP piano.
The only real solo Sammy.

18) When a Knight Won His Spurs
Always with RP piano & Steven played the recorder.
Solo Ralph. As always there are two groups of "exiles" in the staging, placed on the outer sides of the stage.
Every time composed of two major and one of two newcomers.
They take little part in the song, except at the end.
All others are organized around Ralph rounded, they folded arms in the sleeves of their blades, so monks.
Very nice interpretation of Ralph.

19) Love and Mercy
Mini-James and Freddie are placed in the centre, before the two small microphones placed on the ground in front of them.
True solo Mini James begins the song, and this time Freddie was also a solo part to answer him on the second verse, assisted by Daniel on the second sentence.
It made me very happy that Freddie found a little solo.

20) Speech by Josh, on voice changing
He made a slight variation in his text: he says he arrived at Libera to 9 years and he turned 16 two days ago
He finished with Freddie mini James, stating that they are the same age as itself in when he started (applause) and he presents Stefan who will interpret the next song (applause)

21) Deep Peace
Stefan is one of the first verse and then the whole choir sings the song on the second part.
Very successful song, Stephan is really the Top! Very Happy

22) Stay With Me
Daniel is at the centre, as a soloist and is accompanied throughout by Ralph's quiet support.
Daniel is isolated in the center front and around him a front row of 4-5 in an arc, then every other second arc.
Matthew RA always performs the high parts.
Each concatenation verse-chorus accompanied by arm movements done in unison, crossed in front, rear cross, although this through out the song
Beautiful interpretation of Daniel. Always great smiles throughout the concert is a joy to see him on stage Smile

23) Going Home
As in Bristol, a big solo risky given at Mini-James! Very Happy
He will resume the "Josh" in Leiden, and replaces Sammy to this post.
He did very well out, the voice is soft and measured and will grow in force in the next months / years but is already a very good performance, smooth and very pleasant.
Other parts of the song is interpreted by Daniel James on + Mini-Mini that was Ben in Leiden.
They are 4 located in the center of the scene: Mini-James, Jacob, Daniel and Luke.
The vocal sung by Tom in Leiden is here sung by the trio Ralph + mini-James +Jakob

24) Speech of Cassius
He announced the imminent end of the concert and that they were also done going back home, well, to their hotel!
He thanked the audience for coming.

25) How Shall I Sing That Majesty
Very beautiful moment of the concert, with Stefan +Jacob standing at the front of the stage as soloists.
Applause provided despite the very few people, of course standing ovation as they greet the public.

RP quickly launched the recall
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Great detailed post, Yorkie. A shame that not many people went, but it makes it more special for those who did. I love how RP is letting some of the younger ones get more experience with the solos.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

carina_gino20 wrote:Great detailed post, Yorkie. A shame that not many people went, but it makes it more special for those who did. I love how RP is letting some of the younger ones get more experience with the solos.
To be fair he has no choice .. Without Stefan or Ralph they could not perform . So he needs to give the younger boys more experience. Mini James was really good for his age and in a couple of years will be amazing.

I am concerned with such low crowds they wont cover costs and means they wont be in a hurry to do another uk tour.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Niki its "clear" not spirit"
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

dani wrote:
carina_gino20 wrote:Great detailed post, Yorkie. A shame that not many people went, but it makes it more special for those who did. I love how RP is letting some of the younger ones get more experience with the solos.
To be fair he has no choice .. Without Stefan or Ralph they could not perform . So he needs to give the younger boys more experience. Mini James was really good for his age and in a couple of years will be amazing.

I am concerned with such low crowds they wont cover costs and means they wont be in a hurry to do another uk tour.
Chicken and egg situation. Without more tours, how do people in the UK get to know them aside from the short appearances in this show and that.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall