"Sponsoring a chorister?"

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Not yet but I have been seriously considering it. I've contacted Libera about it to see how much they expect each month for 1 chorister.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

of course I will. If they don't respond soon, I'll try asking some "insiders" I know.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Maybe this is a good idea and then again, maybe not.

Just think of how you would feel if you were one of the boys who didn't get picked at all to be sponsered?
I remember reading once, back in the Michael Horncastle days, that Michael was upset over how many people would come to talk to him at church and m&g's while ignoring others in the choir.
When I was still a performer, it always bothered me some to see the soloists get all the attention while those of us who were backround instrumentalists were ignored.
This has the potential to become that.
I, myself, would prefer to just give the whole choir a donation.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
mqeric

Post by mqeric »

I've donated once for Libera in general and will continue to do so, as they pointed out time and again the boys who went on tour only make up of about half of the full team anyway, so in the greater scheme of things I would leave the decision to the Libera management, I am sure they will spent the money wisely.

Having said that, if I were allowed to sponsor one particular boy I know exactly who he might be, it's not the obvious choice of most people but hey, we fans are all biased :wink:
little-miss-sunshine

Post by little-miss-sunshine »

How do you know you even get to "pick one"? Maybe they don't tell you. You could just pay the average price for one chroister and that's all you know. That you helped one boy, whoever that may be.
They probably will just give the first donation to the boy who needs it most, the second donation to the boy who needs it most after the other boy, etc etc.

At least, that would be the most sensible approach.
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

i agree with little miss sunshine! i think any linking of money and sponsorship to specific boys could actually be disastrous.

i know i would want to know where my money went, and it would be great to get a letter from a boy thanking me. but those two positives are completely outweighed by safety concerns and ethics. i hope to God the details are limited.

that said, and autographed pic of Libera as a whole would be a nice thank you gift. i'm just saying....
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Agreed. It will be 'chorister' in general terms. Example... £20 of your money a month, will help pay for one of our 'choristers' traveling expenses to rehearsals or musical lessons, books buy instruments etc...etc...

They won't allow you to sponsor a particular member.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Agreed. It will be 'chorister' in general terms. Example... £20 of your money a month, will help pay for one of our 'choristers' traveling expenses to rehearsals or musical lessons, books buy instruments etc...etc...

This makes me feel alot better about the program.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

TEB wrote: I remember reading once, back in the Michael Horncastle days, that Michael was upset over how many people would come to talk to him at church and m&g's while ignoring others in the choir.
Yes, unfortunately ignorance can be uncomfortable.
TEB wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:Agreed. It will be 'chorister' in general terms. Example... £20 of your money a month, will help pay for one of our 'choristers' traveling expenses to rehearsals or musical lessons, books buy instruments etc...etc...

This makes me feel alot better about the program.
This sounds much better. Otherwise, this is a bit strange to support just one particular member. The choir is what it is thanks to many choristers. :wink:
Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

At first glance after reading the title of this thread, the image came to mind of a Libera boy wearing a white robe covered with patches and logos like a NASCAR driver's uniform.

:lol:
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

ok guys,

I've gotten a response from Libera
We are indeed seeking sponsorship and also invite personal donations as you know - simply any amount is welcome and useful. The return is general support of Libera activities including touring and concerts. As a matter of development we are in the process of considering various fundraising initiatives and will make details known through our usual channels as soon as we have any information to announce. Be assured that we do take account of suggestions and ideas that come our way.

with best wishes from London!

Libera

http://www.libera.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so you wouldn't be sponsoring an individual I'm guessing but rather the whole group. You may or may not get a thank you from one or all of the choristers, it is one of the things I asked and as you can see... the take into account any suggestions and ideas. So if you donate, do so purely with a supportive mind frame not out of hope that you'll get any other reward with, of course, the exception of hearing Libera continue with the awesomeness.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Not to say that it was their intent but the thought of "sponsoring a chorister" does strike a more personal note than the generic "Donate" button and might encourage more people to support the group.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

Sponsoring a chorister is a more personal touch and, if Libera respond wisely to sponsors, is a very shrewd idea.

Although Libera do not have a full-time financial development person, I believe they are well-served with Steve Philipp acting in this capacity. It's obvious from which parent Ben received his charm. :wink:
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Well, as it has been stated before... I think Libera fears that people will ask to sponsor the most known members (the soloists) and neglect the others.

The solution, I think, is to allow people to sponsor a chorister, but not to allow them to pick a chorister specifically. They elect to sponsor someone and then send the first payment. This eliminates favouritism and makes it fair... I think :P

I may be mistaken of course, but that's what I'd do.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well sorry guys but I just emailed Libera and got signed up for Stefan, Mini-James & Kavana so they're now taken. You'll have to fight it out for the rest :D
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love