US Tour Dates - Summer 2010

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

chix
Silver Member

Post by chix »

Lexi wrote:I have my "newbie" review of the Nashville concert up on my blog if anyone wants to read it or copy it for their blogs.

http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was a wonderful concert, and I can't wait for the Atlanta concert. We're in Atlanta now. Boy, is it hot outside!

:D

Thank you for sharing Lexi! :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

tom413 wrote:
dani wrote: Thanks for this news. I wonder if this also means the delux peace release was also just a rumour.
Asked about this for you at breakfast today Dani. Was told the
deluxe Peace release will definitely happen at a time of EMI's choosing, probably in Autumn.

thanks so much :)

so nice of you to ask and wonderful news :)
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

Thanks so much for sharing, Lexi--it's an amazing review! I'm working on one as well, but yours already did all the hard work. The only new content I really have to offer is more on the hood issues, haha.

I hope you have fun in Atlanta! Do let us know how it went, if you have the time!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Nice review Lexi, some interesting little insights there, thanks.

4 down, 1 to go... and the Libera groupies continue to bring the updates :) Libera have posted that they went through Chatanooga 2hrs ago, so they'll be in Atlanta soon I hope.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Just a note that i noticed was wrong is that Ralph has always sung the Fountain.

Ben has never ever sung that song.
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

dani wrote:Just a note that i noticed was wrong is that Ralph has always sung the Fountain.

Ben has never ever sung that song.
thanks so much for gifeing us such a goodnews i was wondering when you wrere goingt o talk a bout the boys being a tn thanks a gain
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Lexi wrote:I have my "newbie" review of the Nashville concert up on my blog if anyone wants to read it or copy it for their blogs.

http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D
It was fun reading your impressions of the concert.
Flora has a tough act to follow. :)
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

JimmyRiddle wrote: Libera have posted that they went through Chatanooga 2hrs ago, so they'll be in Atlanta soon I hope.
The joys of travelling in a group..... They left an hour before I did and I was in Atlanta by 3:30pm or so...

Lexi and her mom left around noon and they said they passed Libera in Chattanooga.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I went to scope out the final location. This place is huge!!
It would be more accurate to refer to it as a complex.
There are many buildings and the first challenge was to figure out where the concert would be held.
After consulting with Lexi and her mom who were also on hand, we determined which was the correct building.

I also managed to get a look at the sanctuary and I hope the word was well spread in Atlanta. This place looks substantially larger than the two Texas locations and even bigger than Brentwood. While it is not as big as the Cathedral, a lot of the seating there is useless for a concert so this might represent Libera's largest audience if they can pack the place. I found a number of posters advertising the concert on display throughout the complex.

Josh will be absolutely thrilled with the picture they are using on the poster.... :)

A small version is shown on their website at http://www.peachtreepres.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chix
Silver Member

Post by chix »

tom413 wrote:Josh will be absolutely thrilled with the picture they are using on the poster.... :)

A small version is shown on their website at http://www.peachtreepres.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The poster is eye-catching. :)

Looks like a very nice nice location. Can't wait for your updates! Enjoy there! :)
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

EDIT: Oops, this is really long--tell me if you'd like me to move it somewhere else, everyone.

Tom's right, Lexi, I really don't know what more I can say that you haven't already said better!! I went ahead anyway and tried to write a recap for Carina, who's around on the boards. Sorry about any repetitiveness! I don't have a blog, so I'll go ahead and just post some of my impressions here:

I'm not sure if the opening to the concert was unique to Nashville or not, but I think it's lovely enough to merit a recap: the lights dimmed, and after a few rounds of applause (and a few false starts), the audience went quiet. Moments later, Stefan sang into the perfect silence from somewhere near the back of the room: "Are you the friend I cannot see? Are you the one who cares for me?" The clarity of it was chilling. In the dim lighting, Libera almost seemed to float onstage for "Adoramus," which was nothing short of glorious--and instead of completing the song, as I'd expected, they surprised me by segueing directly into the first iconic notes of "Libera." It took my breath away. They could not have found a more powerful way to open the concert!

I noticed that during "Libera," some of the boys sang an earlier passage of the song as a harmony (much like the echoed "domine deus, domine deus" accompaniment during the ending of "Salva me"). Sam, Alex, and possibly a few others sang the verse that begins with "De profundis clamavi" below the "Are you the friend I cannot see" passage near the end of the song. It never occurred to me that so many of their musical phrases shared such similar harmonic lengths and structures! Leave it to Libera: even the most deceptively simple pieces are layered with these types of intricacies.

My very messy notes purport that "Time" was sung by Josh, Ralph, and Ben, with Jakob singing the melody after the second chorus. During Jakob's part, he remained facing the front, while the rest of the boys turned to face backwards. I thought this was a good idea, as I'd been scanning the group earlier trying to figure out who was doing the descants.

Kavana's speech about building chords really impressed me! I'd expected maybe three harmonies at most, but there were easily more than five, and it was miraculous hearing so many solitary voices melt together to form Libera's distinctive sound.

The "small group" in the front of "Far Away" consisted of Ralph (soloist), Kavana (on the high notes), Ben, Jakob, Daniel, Stefan, and Mini-James.

"Agnus Dei" contained a beautiful violin solo by Fiona. They sang it with their hoods up, Alex in front and accompanied by Stefan, Ralph, Daniel, and Jakob. I'd never heard Alex sing before--his voice has such a tender, unique quality; "Agnus Dei" was a great choice for him. I hope to hear more from him soon!

After intermission, Libera returned to sing "Mysterium," which was unbelievable. The song has always sounded so dark to me on the CD, but live, Libera manages to infuse it with such light. The colorful lighting effects helped a lot, too! From "Mysterium," they moved on to "Gloria."

I really hope this isn't rude, but there was an unintentionally hilarious moment around here: both of these songs had a lot of, um--hood action. I remember worrying during "Mysterium" about the static being generated by all this hoods-up-hoods-down business. I quickly lost myself in the music again, but later, when they whipped off their hoods at the climactic chorus of "Gloria," the exalted vocals were accompanied by some equally lofty tufts of hair! At least in my section of the audience, there was a very distinct ripple of laughter. (I'm sure the other board members present were classy enough to refrain, of course.) I have a fairly long list of the boys who were affected by the Great Static Crisis of 2010, but top honors go to Tiarnan, Sam, Josh, and Ben. The very instant the lights were dimmed, most of the older boys (and a few younger ones) made hasty grabs for their hair. Guess they felt it, too! I feel terrible writing about this, but it was ridiculously endearing. The way Libera suffers for their choreography! More power to them!

Josh did his speech about his voice change between "Love and Mercy" and "Deep Peace." (Daniel had a great smile on his face during the end of "Love and Mercy," but a lot of the others looked strangely grim. I don't know why.) The audience applauded for soloists James and Freddie, and later Stefan for his upcoming solo in "Deep Peace." Josh bumped into one of the low microphones when he stepped aside to indicate Stefan, smiled, and waved it off.

(My friend fell asleep during "Going Home." I don't know why this is relevant, but I noted it on my program for some reason. His sleepiness, of course, was a product of Libera's being relaxing, not boring!)

Last, Stefan and Jakob sang "How Shall I Sing That Majesty," which had wonderful lighting. I love how the lights always go up to supplement the impact points. As the final song, the effects during this one were especially effective! For the encore, they sang "Libera," with Carlos singing a solo part. The audience tried for a second encore, I think, but the boys waved goodbye instead. We all took the hint and migrated away for the autograph signing.

The signing itself was a blur. It seemed to last only a minute or so, but according to my friend's video-recorded evidence, I took 10 minutes going through the line! Despite all of the testimonials from other fans, I was stunned by how well-spoken, professional, and friendly the boys were. They all smiled, gave signatures, and posed graciously for pictures. They asked us how we enjoyed the concert and thanked us for coming, as if it wasn't totally our pleasure.

A few standouts: Ralph was an active, phenomenal conversationalist, and many of the boys were good enough sports to double-up for pictures as a time-saving measure. Sam was courteous enough to accept some awkwardly-drawn art that I gave him. He said, "Thanks a lot, that's very kind. See you later," and put it away below his seat. As he straightened up, I took an accidental picture of his elbow that I shall treasure forever, haha. Kavana and Freddie were charming, and I think I overheard Stefan say that he's had six years of singing practice. As soon as I find my camera cord, I shall post my photos! (Except maybe the one of Sam's elbow.)

I have a little video footage from the signing, but owing to my friend's occasionally inappropriate (albeit hilarious) commentary, I think I'd better just post screencaps later. Some highlights include an elusive smile from Liam, Mini-James sneezing (hope he's not getting sick), Sam giving Luke a ten-second death glare, and Ralph making fun of the arm gestures they use during "Libera."

In short, the concert exceeded all of my expectations, and meeting up with forum members was amazing! Everyone in Brentwood, performers and attendees alike, were fantastic. It was one of the best evenings of my life. I'm so grateful to everyone involved.
chix
Silver Member

Post by chix »

Hi Flora! Thanks for your review! I enjoyed reading every part of it. Specially those about "the Great Static Crisis of 2010" part and of course, the tiny bits about Sam. hehehe :)
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

Flora wrote:EDIT: Oops, this is really long--tell me if you'd like me to move it somewhere else, everyone.

Tom's right, Lexi, I really don't know what more I can say that you haven't already said better!! I went ahead anyway and tried to write a recap for Carina, who's around on the boards. Sorry about any repetitiveness! I don't have a blog, so I'll go ahead and just post some of my impressions here:

I'm not sure if the opening to the concert was unique to Nashville or not, but I think it's lovely enough to merit a recap: the lights dimmed, and after a few rounds of applause (and a few false starts), the audience went quiet. Moments later, Stefan sang into the perfect silence from somewhere near the back of the room: "Are you the friend I cannot see? Are you the one who cares for me?" The clarity of it was chilling. In the dim lighting, Libera almost seemed to float onstage for "Adoramus," which was nothing short of glorious--and instead of completing the song, as I'd expected, they surprised me by segueing directly into the first iconic notes of "Libera." It took my breath away. They could not have found a more powerful way to open the concert!

I noticed that during "Libera," some of the boys sang an earlier passage of the song as a harmony (much like the echoed "domine deus, domine deus" accompaniment during the ending of "Salva me"). Sam, Alex, and possibly a few others sang the verse that begins with "De profundis clamavi" below the "Are you the friend I cannot see" passage near the end of the song. It never occurred to me that so many of their musical phrases shared such similar harmonic lengths and structures! Leave it to Libera: even the most deceptively simple pieces are layered with these types of intricacies.

My very messy notes purport that "Time" was sung by Josh, Ralph, and Ben, with Jakob singing the melody after the second chorus. During Jakob's part, he remained facing the front, while the rest of the boys turned to face backwards. I thought this was a good idea, as I'd been scanning the group earlier trying to figure out who was doing the descants.

Kavana's speech about building chords really impressed me! I'd expected maybe three harmonies at most, but there were easily more than five, and it was miraculous hearing so many solitary voices melt together to form Libera's distinctive sound.

The "small group" in the front of "Far Away" consisted of Ralph (soloist), Kavana (on the high notes), Ben, Jakob, Daniel, Stefan, and Mini-James.

"Agnus Dei" contained a beautiful violin solo by Fiona. They sang it with their hoods up, Alex in front and accompanied by Stefan, Ralph, Daniel, and Jakob. I'd never heard Alex sing before--his voice has such a tender, unique quality; "Agnus Dei" was a great choice for him. I hope to hear more from him soon!

After intermission, Libera returned to sing "Mysterium," which was unbelievable. The song has always sounded so dark to me on the CD, but live, Libera manages to infuse it with such light. The colorful lighting effects helped a lot, too! From "Mysterium," they moved on to "Gloria."

I really hope this isn't rude, but there was an unintentionally hilarious moment around here: both of these songs had a lot of, um--hood action. I remember worrying during "Mysterium" about the static being generated by all this hoods-up-hoods-down business. I quickly lost myself in the music again, but later, when they whipped off their hoods at the climactic chorus of "Gloria," the exalted vocals were accompanied by some equally lofty tufts of hair! At least in my section of the audience, there was a very distinct ripple of laughter. (I'm sure the other board members present were classy enough to refrain, of course.) I have a fairly long list of the boys who were affected by the Great Static Crisis of 2010, but top honors go to Tiarnan, Sam, Josh, and Ben. The very instant the lights were dimmed, most of the older boys (and a few younger ones) made hasty grabs for their hair. Guess they felt it, too! I feel terrible writing about this, but it was ridiculously endearing. The way Libera suffers for their choreography! More power to them!

Josh did his speech about his voice change between "Love and Mercy" and "Deep Peace." (Daniel had a great smile on his face during the end of "Love and Mercy," but a lot of the others looked strangely grim. I don't know why.) The audience applauded for soloists James and Freddie, and later Stefan for his upcoming solo in "Deep Peace." Josh bumped into one of the low microphones when he stepped aside to indicate Stefan, smiled, and waved it off.

(My friend fell asleep during "Going Home." I don't know why this is relevant, but I noted it on my program for some reason. His sleepiness, of course, was a product of Libera's being relaxing, not boring!)

Last, Stefan and Jakob sang "How Shall I Sing That Majesty," which had wonderful lighting. I love how the lights always go up to supplement the impact points. As the final song, the effects during this one were especially effective! For the encore, they sang "Libera," with Carlos singing a solo part. The audience tried for a second encore, I think, but the boys waved goodbye instead. We all took the hint and migrated away for the autograph signing.

The signing itself was a blur. It seemed to last only a minute or so, but according to my friend's video-recorded evidence, I took 10 minutes going through the line! Despite all of the testimonials from other fans, I was stunned by how well-spoken, professional, and friendly the boys were. They all smiled, gave signatures, and posed graciously for pictures. They asked us how we enjoyed the concert and thanked us for coming, as if it wasn't totally our pleasure.

A few standouts: Ralph was an active, phenomenal conversationalist, and many of the boys were good enough sports to double-up for pictures as a time-saving measure. Sam was courteous enough to accept some awkwardly-drawn art that I gave him. He said, "Thanks a lot, that's very kind. See you later," and put it away below his seat. As he straightened up, I took an accidental picture of his elbow that I shall treasure forever, haha. Kavana and Freddie were charming, and I think I overheard Stefan say that he's had six years of singing practice. As soon as I find my camera cord, I shall post my photos! (Except maybe the one of Sam's elbow.)

I have a little video footage from the signing, but owing to my friend's occasionally inappropriate (albeit hilarious) commentary, I think I'd better just post screencaps later. Some highlights include an elusive smile from Liam, Mini-James sneezing (hope he's not getting sick), Sam giving Luke a ten-second death glare, and Ralph making fun of the arm gestures they use during "Libera."

In short, the concert exceeded all of my expectations, and meeting up with forum members was amazing! Everyone in Brentwood, performers and attendees alike, were fantastic. It was one of the best evenings of my life. I'm so grateful to everyone involved.
thanks so uch wow thats a lot thanks
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Flora wrote:I have a little video footage from the signing, but owing to my friend's occasionally inappropriate (albeit hilarious) commentary, I think I'd better just post screencaps later. Some highlights include an elusive smile from Liam, Mini-James sneezing (hope he's not getting sick), Sam giving Luke a ten-second death glare, and Ralph making fun of the arm gestures they use during "Libera."
Flora, that was a beautiful review! So descriptive AND funny! You have to, have to, have to post your video. If your friend said silly things, just put music overtop of that. We HAVE to see Sam giving Luke the ten-second death glare! What on earth did Luke do to deserve THAT?! :lol:

Lauren (who really needs Kevin to retrieve my user name) :)
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Flora, great review! :D What was the death glare about? Did Luke mention the Great Static Crisis of 2010?? :lol:

Also, could I copy your review to put on my website? Right now I am archiving as many reviews as I can, but I will try to add them to the site soon!