Concert in Arundel - 15 May 2010

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

libera36

Post by libera36 »

JoelinMkt wrote:Well, seeing as there are now two Matthews on the roster, I wonder if one gets the "Mini" tag and if so which one... or will it be like the case of the Michaels who were Michael V and Michael H...
Three Matthews: Matthew Jansen, Matthew Madine and Matthew Rangel-Alvares... So Matthew Jansen could be Mini-Matthew, Matthew Madine could be Mini-Madine and Matthew Rangel-Alvares could be just Matthew...
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

libera36 wrote:
phlibera wrote:Thanks Carina. He looked like Josh alright. :)
I vote we call him Mini-Madine! :lol:
I think it should be Mini Matthew or Mini Matt. Follows the Mini Ben and Mini James tradition quite nicely. Plus, it takes him out of his big brother's shadow. :)

Okay, where are the other reports from the attendees from this forum. We're talking about names now. We need other reports. :lol:
libera36

Post by libera36 »

phlibera wrote:
libera36 wrote:
phlibera wrote:Thanks Carina. He looked like Josh alright. :)
I vote we call him Mini-Madine! :lol:
I think it should be Mini Matthew or Mini Matt. Follows the Mini Ben and Mini James tradition quite nicely. Plus, it takes him out of his big brother's shadow. :)

Okay, where are the other reports from the attendees from this forum. We're talking about names now. We need other reports. :lol:
Yeah, that's a good point. We better wait to see who the smaller Matthew is, then! :lol:

Where's Yorkie, anyway? We're waiting for your report Yorkie!
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Few photos i took

Please dont take them without promission and use them.

Last edited by dani on Sun May 16, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

PART 1

I'm here, I'm here but it's an epic travel adventure for me with 4 trains, one Tube ride and a taxi - something around six hours and I don't have any of this modern mobile techno thingmy whatsits that you young 'uns have.

OK, I can't give you a detailed report because I just sit back and listen + try to watch all of the guys - so you'll have to get Patrick's nose to tail account of who sang what and the choreography involved.

First off it was great to meet up with Fan_de_Lok, Dani & Murkskis (Danieb88 shame on you for not introducing yourself) - Dani your dad is a nice guy as well, don't be so tough on him.

Right, on to the important stuff - Patrick, Viabouna (a Swiss fan who posts over on the French forum) and myself enjoyed breakfast together before strolling in to town at about 09.30 to buy some supplies for the long queuing session to come. We then returned to the cathedral at about 10.30 to start the mission - so Patrick and I, like the gentlemen we are, arrived together :D

We were joined by another fan from the French forum, Lorenzom, and wandered around the cathedral (where I climbed up on to the stage that had been erected the day before and sang a few of my favourite Libera songs in my castrato register).

Big Ben, Callum, Steven and Andy Winter arrived to start putting the sound and lighting together - Andy was very pleasant and Callum kept dashing off in his car every few minutes which made us laugh - he has obviously only recently passed his test and was pleased as punch at any opportunity to rev up and zoom off!

At around 13.00 it was cold and windy - by now we had dani + her dad, 4 more French+Belgian fans (including one of the two female fans who do those Libera duets in the church - the videos are around here somewhere) and THREE Japanese fans (a couple more showed up later) + and American who said he was a friend of Tom's (#edit our Tom = TEB, not Culley). Anyway it was bloody cold so I made a management decision and decided to move the entire queue to the pub for some refreshment!

We managed to group round a big table (but not before they made me buy the drinks :() - One of the Japanese girls had her signed programme from the Japanese concerts which she was happy to share around.

Some time after 14.00 we returned to the church but all sense of dignified British queueing went out of the window and a mad scrum of people formed in the Cathedral entrance in order to shelter from wind and rain :evil: The cathedral was closed from 15.00 for sound checks and rehearsals, much to the confusion of the many tourists that arrived and saw us forming a human barrier in front of the cathedral. I decided that I was going to try and sell a few tickets to the show to the tourists but I think I rather scared them - if I earned my living as a salesman I'd be very thin :lol:
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon May 17, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:PART 1

I'm here, I'm here but it's an epic travel adventure for me with 4 trains, one Tube ride and a taxi - something around six hours and I don't have any of this modern mobile techno thingmy whatsits that you young 'uns have.

OK, I can't give you a detailed report because I just sit back and listen + try to watch the all of the guys - so you'll have to get Patrick's nose to tail account of who sang what and the choreography involved.

First off it was great to meet up with Fan_de_Lok, Dani & Murkskis (Danieb88 shame on you for not introducing yourself) - Dani your dad is a nice guy as well, don't be so tough on him.

Right, on to the important stuff - Patrick, Viabouna (a Swiss fan who posts over on the French forum) and myself enjoyed breakfast together before strolling in to town at about 09.30 to buy some supplies for the long queuing session to come. We then returned to the cathedral at about 10.30 to start the mission - so Patrick and I, like the gentlemen we are, arrived together :D

We were joined by another fan from the French forum, Lorenzom, and wandered around the cathedral (where I climbed up on to the stage that had been erected the day before and sang a few of my favourite Libera songs in my catrato register).

Big Ben, Callum, Steven and Andy Winter arrived to start putting the sound and lighting together - And was very pleasant and Callum kept dashing off in his car every few minutes which made us laugh - he has obviously only recently passed his test and was pleased as punch at any opportunity to rev up and zoom off!

At around 13.00 it was cold and windy - by now we had dani + her dad, 4 more French+Belgian fans (including one of the two female fans who do those Libera duets in the church - the videos are around here somewhere) and THREE Japanese fans (a couple more showed up later) + and American who said he was a friend of Tom's. Anyway it was bloody cold so I made a management decision and decided to move the entire queue to the pub for some refreshment!

We managed to group round a big table (but not before they made me buy the drinks :() - One of the Japanese girls had her signed programme from the Japanese concerts which she was happy to share around.

Some time after 14.00 we returned to the church but all sense of dignified British queueing went out of the window and a mad scrum of people formed in the Cathedral entrance in order to shelter from wind and rain :evil: The cathedral was closed from 15.00 for sound checks and rehearsals, much to the confusion of the many tourists that arrived and so us forming a human barrier in front of the cathedral. I decided that I was going to try and sell a few tickets the tourists but I think I rather scared them - if I earned my living as a salesman I'd be very thin :lol:
LoL you should of sold a ticket to my dad :p after saying he would not go he saw the second half as he was bored in the pub. Even tho he got in for free.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Part 2

From being the first to arrive I had some how managed to be about 20 people back from the front and I desperately asked dani (who had no fear in elbowing the foreigners out of the way to get to her rightful place in the queue :wink: ) to save me a seat on the front row - I think she would have but she did have a wicked gleam in her eye when I asked and I don't think she ever actually said she definitely would.........

Anyway, my bumbling Hugh Grant, frightfully sorry old chap, British politeness paid off in the long run because it got me stood next to Murkskis. When the doors opened the charge began - front row or failure!!!!

As Dani said there was a palpable element of shock as the crowd saw that the first 5 or 6 rows were already occupied. The front of the queue took up the empty seats from 5 or 6 rows back but here Murkskis came to the fore. With a cry of "follow me Yorkie" he charged down an aisle and ran for the front - old ladies, cripples and children were smitten under our gaze and fell in our wake. Unfortunately those three Japanese girls beat us to the few remaining places on the front row with some extreme kamikaze skills but heck, you fly from Japan to the the UK for a concert I think you deserve to be on the front row 8).

Now before I go on,and apologies to those who think otherwise, but I have no problem with the families of the boys getting preferential treatment. As Jimmy said 36 boys, many of them new, means this was the first chance they had to see their son/Grandson/brother perform. They sacrifice things to allow their kids to be part of Libera and I don't begrudge them preferential access or front row seats - I'd expect it if it was my son!

So we ended up second row, left of centre - not bad at all :D . First strange thing to note was that RP took his position immediately in front of us - I thought he was always located on the right???? Second thing was there was no Fiona but we did have three girls playing violins + one on (possibly?) a cello. Hardly heard them at all, can't say they made a difference to be honest. Steven peeped and parped on his clarinet + recorder and that was excellent - more of that please RP.

Behind us was a kid who was the dead spit of Stefan (but a few years older) and I confirmed at the interval that it was indeed the Leadbeater family.

So, the lights went down and.........
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon May 17, 2010 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Part 3 (is this a Lord of the Rings tribute or something?).

OK - the truth is this wasn't 100% polished like my first concert in Edinburgh but how could it be? So many new boys and so few of the old ones it would be a tough ask to be perfect this soon in this new generation of Libera - but fear not there is a lot of talent and heart there and I had an absolute blast. Thank you boys, each and every one of you, for a great show. Like dani, I'll be back next time and I hope more of us can meet up there - it is great to get to meet the online fans (Jimmy, I'll be happy to stand you a beer and that is a generous offer from a Tyke :lol: ).

There were a few missed notes (and Stefan's mum was a bit upset at the interval for him and she said he had a bit of a sore throat because he had been doing so much singing in the last few weeks - no need to worry that lad is a great singer and he did a brilliant job of the Libera encore) but that is why I don't think any parts were mimed because it was a human performance.

Time has come under scrutiny because people thought it was suspiciously good. All I would say is that it was Ben and Josh - nobody has more skill, practice or know how than those two. There was a strange surge in volume at one point and as that happened in the Philippines I think it shows it wasn't a backing track (if it was it would have been edited to be perfect). I agree it was just a volume adjustment to Josh's mike so he didn't drown out the other boys for the chorus (faulty mike?). Also, I had no impression that it was mimed + a couple of other boys helped to support Josh in his 'solo' (at least it sounded to me as if they did).

Anyways, I will flag it here and now like we did for Ed in Edinburgh - mini Ben may have done his last concert as a soloist. His voice is just at it's peak now.

I thought Angus Dei was very good and enjoyed How Shall I Sing, Fountain great, Love and Mercy good, Deep Peace good - I enjoyed the set list actually and even Bayan Ko was all the better for hearing it live as opposed to low quality sound on YouTube.

The boys I noticed most were the group that regularly formed up straight ahead of me so I'm not really picking out one over another (as if I would) - God I love mini-James he is so cute and you could literally pick him up and pop him on your book shelf (Korean fans - could you get some of those little replica figurines made up that have the bobbing head on a spring for next year please. I want a mini-James:D). Kavana just really lets himself go and throws himself in to the songs - he literally sings with his entire body. Everybody agreed that Ralph's voice was a wow.

Mysterium. You know that this was my favourite in Edinburgh right? Of course you do. Well, they changed it this year and it wasn't as good for me. Last year they all started on stage, hoods down. The church was dark and the blue lighting was spooky. In groups of five they raised hoods at regular intervals, and when all were cloaked formed a large group. As Ed's body less vocal soared to the vaulted ceiling the group divided in two and Ed floated down the gap to have the group close behind him. Bloody brilliant.

This time the group started hooded and Stephan walked slowly down the centre aisle to arrive in perfect time for his solo part - that can't be easy to do. The atmosphere was just right (it was now dark) and again the blue lights were just as magical against the boys white robes but the choreography just wasn't as powerful as last year - I guess it was just too hard with such a large number of boys or maybe RP thought we'd complain if they did the same routine? Robert/Andy name your price for a copy of Ed's Mysterium. I know you record all the shows. And have no fear of doing the same thing from one year to the next - if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed May 26, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Part 4 or a trilogy in four parts or how Yorkie saved the day or this is Yorkies 1200th post

Now, in Edinburgh the audience response to the boys talking parts was subdued and in fact some speeches didn't get applause. I felt bad about that so no way was that happening on Yorkies watch (I was an innocent virgin in Edinburgh but a year on I'd like to think I've slept around a bit on the fan forums (so to speak) and know a thing or two when it comes to Libera).

Anyway Freddie was first up and did a very nice little speech (don't ask what he said I have no memory for such things - hell, I'm not even sure if it was Freddie because all those kids look identical - anybody that says they can tell one from another is using witchcraft I tell ya).

Freddie finished and walked back to the group to take his place. Nothing. Not a fart nor a sneeze nor a cough. Bollocks to that I thought and started clapping which was quickly (and loudly) picked up by the rest of the audience. Somebody behind me said 'thank you' which made me feel brilliant (is that the right phrase Deshaun?). Mind you somebody later made a comment about my loud clapping (I do have an unusually loud clap it has to be said but you know what they say about a man with big hands - he wears big gloves) which took the gloss off a bit.

So for the rest of the night we made sure all the boys got a warm round of applause for their speaking parts and Cassius looked particularly pleased when he walked back to his spot in front of me and Murkskis - he got a little friendly nod and smile from the boys around him and he had a huge grin (but he didn't make any cat sounds or Donald Duck impressions as best as I can remember). Mini Ben did his usual embellished performance but if he had a script he ignored it and I don't even think he knew what he was about to say. At the point he thanked the audience I started to clap - but he carried on! Oh the shame (I only made one clap before stopping, did anybody else hear it?).

So Exultate ended and I leaped to my feet to start the standing ovation (much to Murkskis' surprise) shouting 'more' as loudly as I could. Not sure if I was first but I certainly wasn't last. They deserve it, it takes a lot of time and effort and I'm sure they must all be tempted at some point to miss a practice in favour of playing with their mates or watching tv.

The cathedral seemed full - between 300 and 400 people I would guess. At the side of each row of pews (which seated about 8 people and there was one either side of the central aisle) they placed two or three chairs. Most of these were taken even though the view was partially obscured by pillars.

As I was leaving I happened to run in to big Ben and I asked him when Tom's Ave Virgo was recorded and he said 'about a year ago and he did really well with it'. Which is true.

Hope this is ok for you guys - it isn't really a review of the concert in the sense of dissecting each song (I hope others will do that), but it is a snapshot of my experience and I hope it helps to give you a feeling of what it was like to be there.

Love you all.
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed May 26, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mercy & Love
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

ill double anything yorkie has to offer for a copy of ed mysterium :D, i so wish i was there last night, sounds like it was a good show
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you very much for your review Yorkie ! :D
It's a pleasure to read you :)

Here the scans of the Arundel concert's programme :

It was composed by two A4 sheets photocopied duplex in color, and sold 0.50£ each.

A few general informations, the song list, the singers list, and a few photos.

Photo to notice : the visit at the Athenes Accropolis, or the arrival of the ferry near Dovers :)

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yes the before and after shot of there 5 day travel was so funny. They look like hell as they come into dover. Yet they all looked so happy and refreshed in Athens.

Yorkie wonderful review :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Patrick & dani - thanks for the kind words but I'm no blogger, just a tired old hack. By the way if dani posts some photos and says they are of me don't believe her. I saw her offering some poor deranged down and out some money to pose for a photo. As you know, I look very much like Johnny Depp.

Somebody earlier said as there was no Tom or Ed it must mean they have left. Ed yes, I said that a while ago and to me it was obvious. Tom I'm not so sure of. He might have left as a performer but I suspect we might see him again helping to set up the shows or contributing in another way but probably he wasn't in Arundel because of his school exams.
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon May 17, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

:lol: Thanks, Yorkie! Funny how every body who sees Mini James in person wants a pocket-sized version. I sure did after seeing him last year.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Yorkie that was BRILLIANT lol :lol: , btw the three violins may have been 2 violins and a viola....if the fourth looked like a huge violin and the person was sitting with it between their knees then yep its a cello....siiiigh I cannot wait to see them in concert eventually, although I'm a LITTLE saddened that I will not see solos sung by the individuals I was introduced to first, not so much that I'm not still excited to hear the newer boys.

Personally with the Matthews I say Matt, Matt-Matt and Matty lol
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou