Video 'bout new choristers

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I would expect even if luck and chance had me in the SW' area, and I was within a stone's throw from St. Philips. Would I go in and attend an evensong service, when I don't have any deep feeling towards religious beliefs?

I know it's been said before, but you wouldn't go to St Philip's Church to witness Libera sing, you would go to honour the service being held, and enjoy the additional choral support by the local parish church choir.

I might feel slightly hypocritical doing this, although I have attended services around Christmas and Easter in the past, the point being they have been very local to were I live.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:I would expect even if luck and chance had me in the SW' area, and I was within a stone's throw from St. Philips. Would I go in and attend an evensong service, when I don't have any deep feeling towards religious beliefs?

I know it's been said before, but you wouldn't go to St Philip's Church to witness Libera sing, you would go to honour the service being held, and enjoy the additional choral support by the local parish church choir.

I might feel slightly hypocritical doing this, although I have attended services around Christmas and Easter in the past, the point being they have been very local to were I live.
I have never been to St Philips and thats the reason why. My mum lives in Streatham and the church is about 15 mins drive away but just does not seem my cup of tea. I am a fan of Libera / not St Philips as they are totally different.
Frans

hypocrisy or not

Post by Frans »

I am Roman-Catholic and as believer going to a St. Ph. service would be both for me: worship and an occasion to see the choir-members.
To see some of them at least in reality. Thats my personal dream.

As attitude its to be respected that you don't like to be 'hypocritic' in not-going as non-attracted to the church.

The boys not being schizophrenic are the same in Libera and in the church-choir. But do in Libera something 'otherwise' than in the parish choir (if I'm well informed).

Non believers attend sometimes f.ex. a funeral.

You are a Libera-fan and not an St.Ph.-choir fan?
So the same boys brings via Libera some beauty in someones life. The church itself is not 'able' to do that ?
There are more close-to-the-church-practitioners and the more distant. Every different attitude is possible.
But estimating Libera or going to church has one thing in common: love. Love for these excellent boys and/or love for Christ.

No offense nor obligation. These are only some reflexions.

(Believe in Christ is not possible without the Church/ Love for libera is always possible). And, non-believers are believers too: they believe that they are non-believers ! Never we may judge someone in these matters because we can't look in someones heart.

The end is simple: we are Libera-fans. What remains are thoughts, discussions, that what divides persons; it's only love that can bring together !

I'm glad 'my dream' gave at least some reaction !

No offence for anybody intended.
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

Well said frans
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

To explain fully St Philips just happens to have a lot of the same boys as Libera, when i first became a fan everybody was quick to tell me there is a big difference between the two and if you clearly go and see St Philips they are a church group and sing hymes and so on. Thats not a side that interests me in the slightest. The reason why i love Libera is they are different from a normal boy choir and even Ben has said there songs are kinda poppy even when sung in Latin.
Frans

The hidden difference and sameness between Libera and St. Ph

Post by Frans »

I understand what you say. And I respect it. Fully.

What intrigues me in Libera is that they bring good and beautiful chant/music and are appreciated, at least by their fans. But is there not a hint of religion in it ?
Otherwise said, don't they bring a certain 'hidden' message ? The background is always resonant. Or not ? Is it only my imagination ?

Do we explain Libera as something totally different from a church choir, or can we say they are a church choir but out of the walls of their church they bring a (free) other thing but also with deep meaning ?

And while the boys love singing we do our best in the forum to comprehend. Not that I have the feeling being better than other forummembers but let us try beside more common comments to put and answer more fundamental questions.

I hope members would agree with this... (?)
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Just my 2 cents, but a forum member has said that at one point RP did say that the choir(boy band as they prefer) are somewhat of a ministry still.

But despite being non-religious myself, I do not mind this. If it is true that they are still considered a ministry it is not like they are trying to convert non-anglican believers or trying to preach to people, because after all many of the members do not belong to ST. Phillip and are in fact a different religion or not affiliated with a religion at all. I believe that it's this fact that draws me to Libera so much(I myself have played music for a catholic church despite being far far away from being catholic).

I understand fully what you are trying to say. It's possible that majority of Libera fans DO know and feel that there is a hidden religious message, but we just choose to interpret how we like either way.

It also may not even be religious but just spiritual(there is a difference I believe) and they are just trying to bring a sense of spiritual zen to their fans(after all alot of fans listen to their music just to relax) so there may be hidden religious message, but it can be also taken as just hidden spiritual messages.

If that made any sense

Bottom line, the boys are all very talented and have bright beautiful futures ahead of them whether they continue to do music (lIke Liam O'Kane) or pursue other careers outside of music(Like Grant or Glen, i believe one of them is a teacher?)
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Frans and irishoreo, you both gave very good points. I think one of the good things about Libera is how it appeals to a wide variety of audience such that those of us who are religious can love it and those who are totally non-religious can also love it. As for me, the music and the message (as I interpret it) from the songs all belong to the Libera package and to change one or the other will make it 'un-Libera' for me. I know they have been singing more secular songs lately but the spiritual/religious dimension of it is part of the Libera identity for me.

As to a non-religious going to church just to hear the music, I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course if it's not your type of music, then it's ok if you don't find an inkling to visit. If you do have, don't let the fear of being labelled a hypocrite stop you. The Church doesn't reserve its doors for some only. It's open for all. The beauty of its architecture, art, literature, and music is offered to all who wish to partake in it.

Since we believe that God is Truth, Goodness, and Beauty, we are happy when non-religious people come and visit even if only to see the architecture or listen to the music because the beauty of these things can touch your heart and may even lead you to God.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Very well said carina, great points and that is quite refreshing. I have quite forgotten that some religions are still quite open, respectful and not demeaning(i've been having BAD run-ins in my area with religious fanatics -_-) so that has kind of skewed me, away a little bit from religion(American Southern Baptist fanatics can be quite horrible at times).

Now that you have made that point that the absence of a spiritual/religious connotation WOULD make it a bit 'un-Libera' like, I don't think I could deal with that either! Thank you for making me realize that haha.

Also Frans, GREAT TOPIC! But i think this topic would be more suited for the General Chat area.....I would love to see valid reactions and thoughts from other board members....and as a side note, I do respect everyone's opinion especially if they have valid reasons to back it up.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hold on - there is a HIDDEN religious element to Libera's music? Nobody ever told me.

I have no particular judgement to make on whether the choir at St P's is or is not in anyway similar to Libera - I don't see how it can be but I've never heard them. I'm not a believer but I do like visiting churches and Cathedrals (from an architectural point of view). I would listen to a service conducted by a choir I liked (King's for example) but I'm not sure I would attend one in a small parish church.

Horses for courses - no right or wrong on this one. If you want to attend the service that's fine. If you don't then that's fine too. If I went I would be concerned that I would be viewed as creepy - a single man stalking kids and that is probably the main reason I wouldn't go (unless dani agreed to go with me :wink: ).
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

My one source always attends services at Saint P's when he is in London and says the full choir is quite nice. When in worship, the boys are not known as Libera. They are simply part of the full choir. So, don't hold your breath waiting to hear a Libera song on a Sunday morning at Saint P's.

Oh yeah, and the boys are kept segregated from the congregation after worship so no autograph seakers can bother them on a Sunday morning.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

TEB wrote:My one source always attends services at Saint P's when he is in London and says the full choir is quite nice. When in worship, the boys are not known as Libera. They are simply part of the full choir. So, don't hold your breath waiting to hear a Libera song on a Sunday morning at Saint P's.

Oh yeah, and the boys are kept segregated from the congregation after worship so no autograph seakers can bother them on a Sunday morning.

Thanks for the info Tom. I'm glad to hear they are kept separate, even me as a non church goer knows that that is just plain RUDE, Sunday is the day of rest darnit!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

TEB wrote:Oh yeah, and the boys are kept segregated from the congregation after worship so no autograph seakers can bother them on a Sunday morning.
I think that policy has recently been changed, probably due to obvious reasons relating to the growing popularity of Libera. I do know that a few years back, after the service, a few of the regulars of the parish could chat and have tea/coffee with some of the boys.

How times change. One bad apple and all that.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

TEB wrote: So, don't hold your breath waiting to hear a Libera song on a Sunday morning at Saint P's.
True, mostly hymns, but still very nice to hear.

Rich
eddie_mp1

Post by eddie_mp1 »

I do think that Libera's music is always inspiring to believers and non-believers. It's just the matter of interpretation.

Personally I am a Christian. And I really enjoy their music so much..! Sometimes I feel like God talks to me through the lyrcis they sing... or maybe some of the lyrics of their song become my prayer. Anyway, I just love them so much.

And I really wanna visit Loudon!! But it's too far away for me! Coz I live in Hong Kong (Not even close to Japan!!)...~* I wish I could attend their concerts one day..!