Greetings from Rural America!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Lucas

Greetings from Rural America!

Post by Lucas »

Hello, Libera Dreams!

I'm happy to finally make my way to this site. I am excited at the opportunity to really engage with other Libera fans and listeners. My real life friends - supportive as they are - can only take so much of my going on and on about how amazing this group of singers is.

I discovered Libera about 2 years ago when I was looking for a video game song (of all things) that featured a young male soloist. I happened upon Libera during that search and their first song I heard was "Adoramus." Having had a childhood filled with singing myself, I was realllly impressed. That led me to find more and more of their music. Before I knew it, Libera comprised basically 100% of my listening. I simply cannot get enough.

I had the pleasure of going to my first Libera concert this summer while they were in America. I made the long trip from Wyoming to Garden Grove, California with some friends and it was sincerely one of the top musical experiences of my life. (My profile picture is of that very concert; I am pictured on the far left.) Given that I am surrounded here by other fans of Libera, it's likely that I don't need to drone on too long about how lifting and fulfilling that concert was. I'll just say that it is certainly in my top ten life moments at this time, and I will DEFINITELY be looking for another opportunity to see them live as soon as realistically able. I now (proudly) own more Libera merchandise than I know what to do with. :lol:

Aside from all that, I am an Elementary School Teacher turned Youth Arts Director in my home town. I have the privilege of teaching three different singing groups myself. I teach preschool choir, a non-audition choir for K-3 kids, and an auditioned choir for grades 3-5. Libera helps to enrich this musical side of me greatly, though I try super hard to not compare my singers to Libera. :wink:

I'm glad to be here, and I'm hoping to make connections with the many others who love and appreciate this group of singers. Greetings from Wyoming! :D
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Greetings from Rural America!

Post by Surpinto »

Greetings, Lucas, and welcome to Libera Dreams! :D It is good to have you here and to read about what was, by all accounts, an excellent concert and experience for you. Worry no longer about annoying others droning on and on about Libera because we love their music just as much as you do!

Your musical background, particularly with teaching music to young children, greatly adds to our repertoire of commentators and will be appreciated by all of us. The multitude of perspectives in the discussions we have here, both from the musically educated and the musically inept (such as myself lol), enriches us all when it comes to appreciating Libera's music. But do not worry, no one will expect a musicological analysis from you because as fans we can just discuss our enjoyment of the music too. Although I am curious as to your favorite songs from the concert and/or personal highlights for you.

The fact that the concert was a top ten moment of your life shows just how powerfully their music can affect people. I am so happy that this experience was so extremely meaningful for you. As I am writing this reply I am smiling because it really is true that their music, and specifically their live performances, can have this impact. And I am very pleased that this was the effect that they had on you.

If you are willing to travel all the way from Wyoming to California to see them then hopefully when they return to North America someday you will travel to see them once again. Except this time as a seasoned fan! :D

I hope to read more from you in the future. Welcome once again.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Hi Lucas, and a hearty welcome.

As Surpinto said, it's always nice to have folks who are involved in music, and can appreciate Libera, not only from an aesthetic angle, but also appreciate the substantial amount of work that goes into getting 8-15 year-olds to memorize and present 20 or so songs with skill and maturity.

Having been aware of Libera for a couple of years, you probably have come across these already, but just in case, a couple TV specials -

And the historical timeline - http://lib-era-historic-altimelinepart1 ... t-10a.html
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :D

This is a lovely place, I can assure you that. And it is indeed very interesting (and relaxing, heart warming, etc. :roll: ) to be able to communicate with other Libera fans. You don't need to 'drone on too long about how lifting and fulfilling that concert was' - but doing so is also greatly appreciated by us (especially me & other fans who have not had the opportunity to see them live... yet). It is always a joy reading people's experiences & opinions about the albums/concerts & seeing pictures of the boys/souvenirs. :mrgreen:

I pretty much agree with you about their music being addictive and their concerts being filled with positive emotions (I have not been to one but I can clearly tell!)

It's nice to know that you have knowledge & experience about music as well as teaching young children. We have this in common: I am too currently in charge of the local children choir, and Libera also widens my knowledge about music & what young kids can actually do (but I'm not pushing them too much if you ask me).
P/S: Maybe you can show Libera to your 3 choirs, not for comparison but for inspiration (it did work with mine, to a certain degree). 8)
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Hello Lucas and welcome to the forum!

Having known Libera for like 2 years now, you know for sure this is a great place to meet other fans and to exchange thoughts and opinions. For me it is always great to get to know what other people think as this widens my perspective a lot. While you are a music teacher and you work with children, it will be even more interesting to hear you opinions.

Yes, indeed, a Libera concert is an extraordinary experience. I saw them once so far - in Ely this spring. Now I'm planning to see them in London in December. I live in Europe, so this is not so very far away from Libera's home (even though it's still a two hours flight :) ).

I look forward to reading your posts and reviews. How do you like the new Hope CD?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello and welcome Lucas, what took you so long in finding us?

I've heard a lot of good things about that concert, i wish I could have been there. If you feel up to writing a review for us I'm sure there would be a lot of interest; it is always interesting to see them through the eyes & ears of a first time concert goer :D

Can I ask what video game it was that started your search? The group or individual boys have sung for a few over the years (as well as for films of course) - the last one i can think of was for 'Destiny' so pretty big.

Finally, here is my traditional welcome to the forum:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Surpinto wrote: Although I am curious as to your favorite songs from the concert and/or personal highlights for you.
Ah, where can one even begin. I was very fortunate to have front row seats at this venue, and the layout of the venue made it a very intimate performance setting for me. For goodness sake, the singers must have been 10-15 feet away from me! I was thrilled when they opened with San Damiano, as that is easily one of my all-time favorites, even given its newness. (HOWEVER! I am CERTAIN that they changed the words from "Sancte Maria" at the beginning to something else; it caught me off guard!) Angel was stunning with Camden as the soloist, and I equally enjoyed Libera and How Great Thou Art. I was really presently surprised with the number of "older" songs they did. I wasn't sure what kind of lineup to expect. I was actually ready for mostly songs from "Hope," but they only did a couple. Exsultate was splendid, as two instrumentalists came forward and I feel that it was sung at a faster-than-usual tempo. It was super energetic! It was also super exciting to see Libera team up with the local children's worship choir for Joyful, Joyful. An unforgettable experience for those local singers, I'm sure!

I was also very fortunate to be almost at the very front of the autograph line after the performance. I must have been like 3rd or 4th in line. The boys were extremely gracious and positive. I did also get the chance to compliment Isaac London on his rendition of Angel that can be found online; I think it just joyfully stunning. It's another one of my favorites. Our conversation was brief, as he looked *very* sleepy. Hah! Can't blame him though, as he's quite a bit out of his own time!

The crowd was great. The lightning was great. The song selection and singers were, of course, outstanding. And HUGE shoutout to Taichi (spelling?) for CRUSHING the Salva Me solo. WOW!!

[Is there a way to show some pictures on this forum? I can't seem to find a way to upload.]
Last edited by Lucas on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING; MY APOLOGIES :D
hiskeys wrote: Having been aware of Libera for a couple of years, you probably have come across these already, but just in case, a couple TV specials -
Thank you, and a pleasure to meet you! :) Thank you very much for the links you provided. I was indeed familiar with the videos, but that historical timeline was of great interest to me! It helped me find the "Music From The Tower" podcast that had been mentioned when I went to the concert and I listened to it right away! Thank you so much for providing me with that! :)
kinda_k00l wrote: It's nice to know that you have knowledge & experience about music as well as teaching young children. We have this in common:
How excellent! Being here is already proving to be a rich experience if I had the chance to connect with individuals like yourself! I'm very new to this world, but it's so so exciting. I taught second grade in 2015, and now in 2017 I am in TOTALLY new shoes! Libera has helped me to become so invested in getting children to sing, though. I am VERY excited for our school year to start here so I can begin this fantastic, fantastic work with my singers! :) I may be coming to you to bounce ideas, share strategies, etc.!
andmar wrote: I look forward to reading your posts and reviews. How do you like the new Hope CD?
I love the new "Hope" CD. I have listened to it on repeat basically since its release. There are so many tracks that just steal me away. Angel, San Damiano, Three Ravens, Wayfaring Stranger, Benedictus Deus, and the list goes on. I know I'm not the most seasoned Libera fan around having only been a listener for about two years, but in my opinion, "Hope" provides some of the most musically interesting and impressive Libera music I've ever heard! Like, Gregor... dude! That high note!!
Yorkie wrote: Hello and welcome Lucas, what took you so long in finding us?
...I've heard a lot of good things about that concert, i wish I could have been there.
...Can I ask what video game it was that started your search?
I've been aware of the forum for some time now. I've just not been compelled to join until now! The concert was just SO fantastic that I needed a place to continue to share my praise for this group. What better place than here? I've loved being here thus far; such warmth and positive communication. :)

I'd be happy to write up a review! It may take me a bit, but if there would be interest in that - even given that there have been more events since then - I'd be happy to share my experience!

The video game that vaulted me into Libera fandom was actually World of Warcraft (yes, I'm one of those players, haha). Now, Libera does not feature in World of Warcraft, but there is a song called "Invincible" that features a young male soloist that I enjoyed. Libera just happened to be in the related searches neighboring mine. And thank goodness for that!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

San Damiano is likely as old as a 'Libera' song gets to be honest (well technically St Philip's Boys Choir in those days but it is probably the song that started the change from Sunday Anglican Choir to world wide domination)

Exsultate? You can quickly go off people you know :wink:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Hi Lucas,

Welcome to Libera Dreams! I'm much behind and most of all important has already been said by the others. :wink: Nice to hear you come from Wyoming - I always remember the wonderful Yellowstone park.

You sang a lot during your childhood? Did you sing in your family? Were you a choir or a band member?

Lucas wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 pm">6 years ago</span> Before I knew it, Libera comprised basically 100% of my listening. I simply cannot get enough.
How well I can relate to that! After I had heard the first Libera songs, I wasn't able anymore to listen to any other music (when I was the one who could choose) for full eight months. Afterwards, I began to very slowly admit other music again, but most of it was in a similar musical area. And still, Libera's music covers an extremely high percentage of what I listen to.

Libera is just the healthiest kind of addiction! :mrgreen:

We have something in common: First Libera concert, front row - I couldn't believe to be so lucky, and you sound just the same! I agree with you on the live experience of Exsultate: The recording has never been that special to me, I consider it as one of the songs you must have live. I was very surprised how much I liked this song in Vallendar!

Yes, please, share your Libera experience. That's what we are all here for. And also to have fellow fans at whom we can keep on and on about how wonderful and wonderful this music is without ever tiring them at all! :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Lucas wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: Although I am curious as to your favorite songs from the concert and/or personal highlights for you.
Ah, where can one even begin. I was very fortunate to have front row seats at this venue, and the layout of the venue made it a very intimate performance setting for me. For goodness sake, the singers must have been 10-15 feet away from me! I was thrilled when they opened with San Damiano, as that is easily one of my all-time favorites, even given its newness. (HOWEVER! I am CERTAIN that they changed the words from "Sancte Maria" at the beginning to something else; it caught me off guard!) Angel was stunning with Camden as the soloist, and I equally enjoyed Libera and How Great Thou Art. I was really presently surprised with the number of "older" songs they did. I wasn't sure what kind of lineup to expect. I was actually ready for mostly songs from "Hope," but they only did a couple. Exsultate was splendid, as two instrumentalists came forward and I feel that it was sung at a faster-than-usual tempo. It was super energetic! It was also super exciting to see Libera team up with the local children's worship choir for Joyful, Joyful. An unforgettable experience for those local singers, I'm sure!

I was also very fortunate to be almost at the very front of the autograph line after the performance. I must have been like 3rd or 4th in line. The boys were extremely gracious and positive. I did also get the chance to compliment Isaac London on his rendition of Angel that can be found online; I think it just joyfully stunning. It's another one of my favorites. Our conversation was brief, as he looked *very* sleepy. Hah! Can't blame him though, as he's quite a bit out of his own time!

The crowd was great. The lightning was great. The song selection and singers were, of course, outstanding. And HUGE shoutout to Taichi (spelling?) for CRUSHING the Salva Me solo. WOW!!

[Is there a way to show some pictures on this forum? I can't seem to find a way to upload.]
Wow! Thank you for such a detailed answer and overview of the concert; it was a pleasure to read even if my reply is not nearly long enough to give it the due diligence it deserves. Excellent seats, a good set list, and the opportunity to show your appreciation after the show? Can that be beat? I think not. :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Lucas wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm">6 years ago</span> Is there a way to show some pictures on this forum? I can't seem to find a way to upload.]
Yes, there is:
Attachments - Add files - Documents (or whatever is indicated in English :wink:) - choose a file, then it's uploaded - Place inline.

Maybe, you must reduce the size a bit before, if it's (much) too large to make the viewing more pleasant.
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

filiarheni wrote: You sang a lot during your childhood? Did you sing in your family? Were you a choir or a band member?
Yes! I had a childhood filled with community children's choir. I was a very enthusiastic singer, though nothing I was a part of even resembles the boy choir we all know and love. I vividly remember at age 10 being selected to represent my choir at the state children's choir clinic. We sang a beautiful song called "Can You Hear Me?" that I still remember to this day, and I've since learned the accompaniment on piano, too. It was one of the first times music REALLY moved me. Sadly, I grew frustrated during my voice change and my instructor did not know how to help me. Thus, I quit singing. I sang in high school in the show choir, but I had very little passion for it at that point. My enjoyment of singing has only since been rekindled by Libera! :mrgreen:

I started piano at the age of 6 and have played happily ever since. I spent a few elementary years playing violin before I made the middle school switch to percussion. I was able to travel all over the west coast as a percussionist, playing in the 2011 MENC All-Northwest Wind Ensemble in Seattle, plus I marched in the 2011 Tournament of Rose Parade in a drumline.

Being involved in music is a MUST for me. It's been a part of me forever and I simply cannot stop. It's too much fun! I've linked two videos for fun. I hope this doesn't come across as egotistical to post videos of myself in music, but I enjoy it so much that I cannot help but share. (I'm open to feedback if this isn't appropriate; I promise!)

Here I am the dorky percussionist wearing a black vest.

This is me drumming with my college marching band during a game. This became my hyper song, for obvious reasons. The fast part is near the end. :mrgreen:

I realize that in posting this, I reveal my name to actually not be Lucas. Alas, user names and such. :roll:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Lucas wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am">6 years ago</span> We sang a beautiful song called "Can You Hear Me?" that I still remember to this day, and I've since learned the accompaniment on piano, too. It was one of the first times music REALLY moved me. Sadly, I grew frustrated during my voice change and my instructor did not know how to help me. Thus, I quit singing.
Oh no! Too bad, he should have led you through the time or pass you on to another teacher. A passion for singing is so precious, everything should be done to preserve it. How good for you that Libera came around the corner. Or rather: How good for every single one of us, in various ways. I think everyone has his individual access to Libera, but we all agree that it does us so good! :D :D

Lucas wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am">6 years ago</span> Being involved in music is a MUST for me. It's been a part of me forever and I simply cannot stop. It's too much fun!
So it is. :D

Thank you for posting the videos! Very big orchestra. I like the playing although this is not "my" music. The drums are amazing, I wish I were able to do so well on my djembé. I never will, but, as you say, it's fun.

Do you like this? It's not perfect, but it's just pure fun! It's an African song about a man shouting angrily behind some children. It was the winning song of a folk song contest and was revived in an extended version for that music school's 50th anniversary, played by the same members and three more bands from back then, now adults. :wink: No, I was no part of that, but I wished to have been. It's so groovy. I only wonder how the audience was able to keep sitting so stiff. Except for that little child toward the end. :wink: