Hello from Pennsylvania

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Jay_S
Silver Member

Hello from Pennsylvania

Post by Jay_S »

Hello all. I've been listening to Libera for about 2 and a half years now ever since I found a Sanctus video on YouTube. I had a hard time figuring out the lyrics as they were in Latin and the timing was interesting in the middle part of the song. One video led to another and I was hooked! As a child I sang in my church choir and later sang in the Chorus at school until I graduated (18 yrs old).

I found this Forum about 2 years ago and I've been following the subjects and posts pretty regularly since then. I almost feel like I know some of you that post here regularly! Maybe I'll have a chance to meet some members at the concert in St. Louis. That would be nice as I'll be a stranger in a strange land.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania

Post by Surpinto »

Welcome! It's nice to have another fellow East Coast person here with whom I can bemoan the fact that they didn't perform closer to us on this tour. :wink: Many fans have found Libera through "Sanctus" as it has become Libera's quintessential song.

I'll be in a same similar situation as you in Saint Louis. Although I have have been on Libera Dreams a few years and, just like you, feel as though I know some people here, I will also be somewhat of a stranger in a strange land in terms of meeting other fans. But, hey, it'll be fun and we will both enjoy ourselves. :D

So you have between then and now to tell us more about yourself, your favorite songs, and so on. You sang in a few choirs yourself? Very cool! So that means that you may be able to give a better degree of analysis on some songs than others, such as myself, could possibly offer. Since you've been reading you know that we have a few others here who have training and/or good ears for music, so you're in good company.

Welcome and I hope to see you in Saint Louis! :D
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Thanks for the welcome Surpinto! When we get to St Louis we should make plans to meet sometime before the concert. This will be a short trip for me. In Tuesday and out Thursday. I wish I had more free time but alas.

Although I have had some history of singing in my past, that was a long time ago and I wasn't 'musically' proficient. I could memorize my part and follow along with the sheet music but I couldn't tell you the difference between a B flat and an F sharp :lol: So there won't be any critical reviews from me :wink:

There are so many Libera songs that really move me. My current favorite is 3 Ravens off of the Hope CD. I have been listening to that CD almost non-stop since it arrived! Some of their earlier songs that are among my favorites include Agnus Dei, Something Sings, Twilight is Stealing, Grateful Heart, Sacris Solemnis and Voca Me. Almost all of the songs on the Libera Visits America DVD are right up there on my tops list. Really, it's like trying to pick your favorite child! :)
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Hello Jay_S and welcome to the forum. :D
It's great that you decided to join and hopefully you will share your reviews, opinions and thoughts concerning Libera with us. This is really a great place to do so. And here are some really nice people around - as you have probably noticed.

Now, welcome and enjoy the upcoming concert in Saint Louis. I'm looking forward to reading your review. :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Hi Jay_S, welcome to the forum and how great that a concert lies right ahead of you! :D
Jay_S wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:31 pm">6 years ago</span> Some of their earlier songs that are among my favorites include Agnus Dei, Something Sings, Twilight is Stealing, Grateful Heart, Sacris Solemnis and Voca Me. Almost all of the songs on the Libera Visits America DVD are right up there on my tops list. Really, it's like trying to pick your favorite child! :)
Interesting that finally someone - you - mentions Agnus Dei. I find this to be the quietest (this sounds strange to my ears, is that right?) song in their repertoire. When I first heard it, I fell asleep. How do you think about it?
I join you with Something Sings, Twilight is Stealing and Voca Me, these are such wonderful songs. :D

Concerning song lyrics like those of Sanctus you were looking for, please know that there is a website called

www.libera-songs.de

by mawi, which collects all the lyrics. This is really very helpful and I consult it all the time.

Have fun in the forum!
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 pm">6 years ago</span> Hello Jay_S and welcome to the forum. :D
It's great that you decided to join and hopefully you will share your reviews, opinions and thoughts concerning Libera with us. This is really a great place to do so. And here are some really nice people around - as you have probably noticed.

Now, welcome and enjoy the upcoming concert in Saint Louis. I'm looking forward to reading your review. :D
Thank you andmar. This does seem to be a very friendly place. I look forward to contributing to the forums and exchanging thoughts with others. I see that you have also joined recently and I've enjoyed reading your posts! I am really looking forward to the concert in St Louis!
"with a down derry, derry down down"
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Hi filiarheni. Thanks for the warm greeting :) I've really enjoyed your enthusiastic and thoughtful posts since you joined this forum. I was feeling your pain the entire time you were waiting for your Hope CD to arrive! Your review of the CD was worth waiting for.

[/quote]
Interesting that finally someone - you - mentions Agnus Dei. I find this to be the quietest (this sounds strange to my ears, is that right?) song in their repertoire. When I first heard it, I fell asleep. How do you think about it?
I join you with Something Sings, Twilight is Stealing and Voca Me, these are such wonderful songs. :D
[/quote]

Agnus Dei is such a cool song! It seems so ancient and simple but beautiful at the same time. The voices really shine here. The music plays such a low key supporting role that doesn't compete with the vocals and I like that.

Thank you for the link to mawi's site. I think I will find access to the lyrics very useful. My German is very limited so I hope I'll be able to manage ok
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

A hearty welcome, Jay!

I normally let folks know about the 2009 TV special -

and the Libera Timeline with tons of information - http://li-berahistoricalt-imelinepart1a.blogspot.com

But you might have already seen those, having followed Libera for a couple years now.

I'd love to get to one of their concerts this time, but from Florida it's a stretch. Maybe I could catch St. Louis, then see relatives in Ohio, and catch the ark replica in Kentucky on the way home. I haven't had a good road trip in a while, and Libera is a highly reasonable excuse for one!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Many thanks for your kind words! :oops: :D

Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:45 am">6 years ago</span> I was feeling your pain the entire time you were wai1ing for your Hope CD to arrive!
Also with hindsight, I appreciate this so much, thank you! I was very moved by all the empathy I met in the forums, and it did ease the waiting pain. :)

Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:45 am">6 years ago</span>Agnus Dei is such a cool song! It seems so ancient and simple but beautiful at the same time. The voices really shine here.
I think the voices of the choir ("In pacem ...") sound like floating somewhere in the air, far away. I'm not on the ground with my feet anymore when I hear that. If I could find the words ... celestial or out of the word, I don't know. It's "überirdisch" in German, andmar, can you help?

Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:45 am">6 years ago</span>The music plays such a low key supporting role that doesn't compete with the vocals and I like that.
So you like them better than the songs where the instruments play a bigger role? How do you think about Sancte where the instrumental part develops as the song moves on? And can you like Three Ravens where the instruments really speak for themselves?

Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:45 am">6 years ago</span>Thank you for the link to mawi's site. I think I will find access to the lyrics very useful. My German is very limited so I hope I'll be able to manage ok
No worries! In fact, you don't need any German, because this website is just a collection of song lists, album lists, concert lists, video lists. :wink:
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:56 am">6 years ago</span> .. If I could find the words ... celestial or out of the word, I don't know. It's "überirdisch" in German, andmar, can you help?
Unearthly, heavenly, supermundane ...

@filiarheni - thank you, but you overrate my language skills :oops: :? . I managed to find some English words with a little help of several dictionaries...
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thanks, andmar, it's fine! :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello Jay_s and welcome to the forum.

Will St Louis be your first Libera concert? Always a great experience and I'm always envious of those people who get to see them for the first time live as it's such a thrill. Unfortunately I won't be making this US tour but I hope to make one some day. There will definitely be a few regular posters attending this one.

So, all that remains is to offer my 'traditional' welcome:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

hiskeys wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:57 am">6 years ago</span> A hearty welcome, Jay!

I normally let folks know about the 2009 TV special -
Hello hiskeys and thank you for the warm welcome! I am familiar with this video and I agree it is a very nice way to learn about the group/choir. In fact this is the group of boys that I became familiar with first. The first video of Sanctus that I watched had a blue sky with clouds and the words to the song as the 'video' played. All of the links to other videos on YouTube were mostly from this time frame (2005-2010).

and the Libera Timeline with tons of information - http://li-berahistoricalt-imelinepart1a.blogspot.com

But you might have already seen those, having followed Libera for a couple years now.
Yes this blog by Aimee is fantastic! It took me days to go through it from start to finish. I continue to visit that blog for updates.
I'd love to get to one of their concerts this time, but from Florida it's a stretch. Maybe I could catch St. Louis, then see relatives in Ohio, and catch the ark replica in Kentucky on the way home. I haven't had a good road trip in a while, and Libera is a highly reasonable excuse for one!
This will be my first Libera concert. I'm envious of others who have seen them perform live already but I will be in good company once I achieve this goal! I hope you decide to take that road trip :D
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:56 am">6 years ago</span>
Jay_S wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:45 am">6 years ago</span>The music plays such a low key supporting role that doesn't compete with the vocals and I like that.
So you like them better than the songs where the instruments play a bigger role? How do you think about Sancte where the instrumental part develops as the song moves on? And can you like Three Ravens where the instruments really speak for themselves?
I wouldn't say I like the songs where the instruments play a smaller part better than those with soaring arrangements. Each song can move me in a different but not necessarily better way. While I like some songs more than others, it really isn't because of style or substance. It's just a matter of taste :D
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:31 pm">6 years ago</span> Hello Jay_s and welcome to the forum.
Thank you Yorkie! I was hoping to hear from you!
Will St Louis be your first Libera concert? Always a great experience and I'm always envious of those people who get to see them for the first time live as it's such a thrill. Unfortunately I won't be making this US tour but I hope to make one some day. There will definitely be a few regular posters attending this one.
Yes this will be my first Libera concert. I had tickets in hand for 2 concerts which were cancelled. It was disappointing to say the least :cry:

So, all that remains is to offer my 'traditional' welcome:

[/quote]

Thanks! I've been looking forward to this!