Greetings from Germany

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Greetings from Germany

Post by filiarheni »

Warning - very long post! ;)

Hello, I'm filiarheni, and I live in the Cologne-Bonn area. I heard about Libera’s existence by the beginning of this year and it felt like a lightning strike: When I heard the first sounds only, I was electrified, and I have been addicted to their music ever since.

At the moment I find myself still being in the "afterglow" of my first concert in Schönstatt. I’d rather seen them in England first, because it is their home country, but of course, I’m not crazy (at least this is what I hope ;-)), I would never carelessly miss a chance like this. Besides, I simply cannot believe to be so lucky to have got to know Libera just in time before they were having their debut in Germany. Many other people have been waiting for this for years!

It was an Amazon review which led me to Libera. It was criticizing down another boys choir group and recommended more than warmly to compare them to a choir called “Libera” being a choir of really great quality in order to hear the big difference. This made me curious and I wanted to find out if she was right. On Youtube I chose some songs of which I liked the names (for example Salva Me, Adoramus, Libera, Voca Me, Time, I Am The Day, You Were There, Wings Of A Dove, Ave Maria - let's stop it here ;-))
I don't remember which one was my very first Libera song but it definitely must have been one of the above-mentioned and I was carried away at once, during the first seconds! And I clicked on another song and one more song and this could be a beautiful song, too, and how could a song called xy sound like - and like this it went on and on, on that 8th January 2016, as I still remember. :)

I love a whole lot of their songs, but my top favourite is and has been and probably will forever be the terrific Voca Me. Those dissonances and their releases (right word?), the wonderful soloists there, the crystal clear singing of the “Lacrymosa”-bits and so on … I am absolutely enthusiastic about this song!

Voca Me is the undisputed favourite among favourites. Others are: Salva Me, Secret, Something Sings, Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, How Shall I Sing That Majesty, Sancte, Sempiterna (Remix version), and I was overwhelmed that they sang it at the Schönstatt concert. But to avoid any misunderstanding: I love nearly all of what I have heard so far, and the grades between the songs are slight. Please allow me only one more remark about Sempiterna-Remix: Libera’s music on the whole is thoroughly relaxing, but there is no song tranqulizing me in a better way than this one. The entire song seems to be a one huge breathing out, which is doubtlessly supported by the wavelike movement of the melody.

Well - it is normal that there are also some other songs one does not like too much, and to make this introduction of mine complete I would like to mention them here as well. Please do not be annoyed, everybody here! The songs less popular to me are mostly when they sing extremely familiar songs like Morning Has Broken, and classical music which is originally instrumental and very well-known. These are especially Sacris Solemnis or Going Home. The Dvořák original of the latter (the complete 2nd movement of that symphony) is very special to me, touches my soul, affects my attitude towards life and is similar in its effect that the Libera music has on me, and I don't like it to be sung. I love The Fountain very much, though.

An important element in my appreciation, love and respect for this choir is, besides the pure music, the fact that the boys seem to enjoy it so much. As Liam C. said: “I love it, it’s great, I really enjoy it …” You see it in their faces, in their behaviour, in their smiles, in their laughing. They love what they do, what can be better? And: They sing in a very natural and soft manner, not in any way artificial or forced, a mere pleasure for my ears!

So there are these three things, their music itself, their way of singing and their happiness with it, which make Libera so precious to me.

The Libera generation I still feel closest to (this might change now that I saw the boys live!) is the Leiden line-up - hence Josh, Tom, Liam, Ed, Sam, and so on - because I met them that January day via most of the youtube songs above, and many of the songs I love best are sung by them.
As to the soloists, I like Ben Crawley very much, also Tom Cully (the way he sings Ave Maria (Vavilov/Caccini) takes my breath away, I find it extremely beautifully sung), Michael Horncastle, Stefan Leadbeater, Liam Connery (to few songs!). Definitely I love the fact that there are so many soloists; I love the variety of voices, and it would be boring to hear the same boy always. Now I have to study the voices which are new to me. During the concert I liked Alessandro best!

Libera music is intensely calming my soul down, it is soothing, even if a song is a more dramatic one, it makes the good days even better, and it is literally medicine in times when you do not feel good, it enriches every single day. Their songs are catchy, and so I can listen to them even when I cannot play them, and I can even choose what I’d like to hear because each song is an earworm.. ;)
I have played the Libera songs up and down since the beginning, and it doesn’t become boring to me at all.

I've always loved music, I play instruments and have sung in a choir since childhood and have a broad musical taste. But nothing like this had ever happened to me before, at least not in such a strong and persistent way, ongoing until now and hopefully for a very long time. Even if I repeat myself talking about the reasons why Libera finds directly the way to my heart and soul, I still have the feeling that I have not said enough. They are a phenomenon! I can only congratulate Robert Prizeman for being such an excellent leader of this choir, I surrender to Libera and I am not able to express how glad I am to have found them!

And now … thank you for having read this terribly overlong “speech”! ;)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
hiskeys
Silver Member

Re: Greetings from Germany

Post by hiskeys »

Hello and a big welcome!

I think everyone here can agree with your sentiment that there is something special and unique about Libera that creates a very loyal following. One thing, of course, is the overall high quality of their recordings and even live presentations. Tied in with that quality is the wonderful arrangements by Robert (and Ben and Sam, etc.). And it certainly adds to the captivation that they sing about concepts that are virtuous and important to our soul. But I think you mentioned another important aspect, which is their overall humility and pleasant demeanor, both boys and staff. The fact that many of the boys stay with the group for as long as possible speaks volumes about the positive family atmosphere of this wonderful organization.

Now that you've discovered Libera, you can share them with your friends. Cheers!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

That is a wonderful introduction to you and to your history with Libera. I can relate in having a very broad interest in music generally and yet much more than a simple or casual interest in Libera's music. There is something that touches the soul in their music which is why so many of us, particularly here at Libera Dreams, are such devoted fans. The variety of music that I own is notable but Libera is by far the most replayed music in my collection; especially when I am feeling stressed out due to work. Thank you for writing this very nice introduction and I am so happy to know that you discovered them just in time to see them in live! :D

No post (or speech ;)) is ever too long by the way, I enjoy reading the longer ones the best because they are the most interesting! You are right that the choristers seem to take great pride in their work, as well they should. The amount of work that goes into these concerts is astronomical on the part of everyone involved.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Great introduction! And a belated welcome to the Forum :)

Are you going to write a review about the Schönstatt concert in the Concerts section perhaps? :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you for welcoming me in such a friendly way!

@Maarten, I will go on holidays tomorrow, so I'm afraid that there will be not enough time left to do that today. However, your reports are already so fine and so extensive (umfassend, is this the right translation?)!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Now that is an introduction Sabine!

I know what you mean about the style that Libera choose to sing in which is very much natural (rather than that somewhat artificial sound found in the Treble line of English choirs). It is very easy to listen to and get lost in but it does require the use of mics and amplifiers. Of course that leaves them open to severe criticism from the classical purists out there (of which there are many many musical snobs). But that is their loss, clearly lots of people appreciate their style. By the way, what was the choir that you were reading about when somebody suggested Libera as a comparison?

You post a lot of great songs but no Vespera? Steven Geraghty had a voice to die for and that is such a beautiful song. I haven't heard it in a concert yet but I keep on hoping (for the longest time I thought we would never get Voca Me so anything is possible). And Finally, I have signed you up as a member of the Voca Me Appreciation Society (current membership of two - you and me!)

So all that remains is for me to extend my traditional greeting:

Last edited by Yorkie on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Welcome to the forum, filiarheni.

Nice intro... This is the best place to discuss, and read about all things relating to the latest goings on in Libera world. Twitter shows you the bones, libera dreams put the meat on it.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thanks again!

Yorkie, this is a very nice tradition and, in my case, especially appreciated because of the Spanish subtitles. Spanish is my favourite language, so you did something good to me in addition!

Concerning the other choir I'd prefer not to mention the name in the forum, because it was not a big choir, but only a small group and I don't want to embarrass them here.

I think that by singing so softly, this is the way to keep their natural, their own voices. We can hear that they are boys and we hear the characteristics of each voice. Hm. It is hard for me to express what I mean.

I was not able to post every fine Libera songs here or you would have had to read a book. ;) Only for example, We Are The Lost and Ave Verum also belong to the songs which I like best. I just wouldn't know where to stop the list, since there simply is no ending.
However, Vespera even was still one of those I had heard only once (some songs still have remained completely unknown to me), but I saved them a bit for future days when I will be in need for new and reliably beautiful songs (if this day will ever come). Doing so, I go my way slowly and always have got something to look forward to. This may sound a bit strange to you all. :? But now thank you for reminding me of Vespera's existence! I listened to it once more and added it to my Libera playlist directly: Indeed this song is also one of the very beautiful songs!

Oh, great, I like my new membership in the VMAS, and did you notice that the number of members doubled in one single moment only? :lol: (And why only do I like your Avatar! :wink: )

How long did you have to wait for hearing Voca Me live? I nearly had the chance to attend the Romsey concert in April, and when later on I learned that they sang it there, this was so painful for me on one hand, but calming on the other hand, because it clearly meant that Libera was keeping it in their living repertoire. So I hoped for my chance to come one day! It seems to me that there is either Voca Me or Mysterium in the same concert, but never both of them. I like Mysterium, too.

And maybe one day I will find out at last which of Voca Me's solo parts on "Free" is sung by whom (Joseph, Chris, Anthony)!
Last edited by filiarheni on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Filiarheni,

Glad you put Vespera in to your play list, it is really good. I'm also envious that you still have more great songs to discover, I wish I had your restraint! The very first time that I heard Voca Me live was in Armagh in November 2012 (very very cold!) They also had Mysterium on the set list (which is another of my favourites, especially to start the second half of a concert in a centuries old church. I find the atmosphere amazing in the descending darkness) so it is possible to get both :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

You could try the following. It's like a game I sometimes play. All you need is some imagination:

I put myself into the position of somebody else who is completely unaware of Libera's existence, but likes music, sings in a choir or anything like this, anyway, a concrete person, definitely. It also works the other way round: Me not knowing Libera and suddenly receiving a song tip. And then I listen to the songs as if it was the first time, first time Libera or first time this song.
Both ways allow me to listen to Libera with rather fresh ears. I try to imagine how the other one might react inside, and it also brings back very good memories about my own feelings at the beginning. I also like to find the one moment of a song again in which it took me over (captured me). :D

Of course, it can never be exactly the same as really listening for the very first time, I certainly wouldn't expect that to happen again. But trying the "imagination" maybe helps you a little bit to reduce envy. :wink:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Maybe I should add an explanation of my name, because it seems to cause some difficulties in pronouncing it. In fact, it consists of two Latin words: filia (daughter) and rheni (of the river Rhine) --> filia rheni = Rhine daughter. I'm from Cologne and live close to the Rhine. When I first saw a ship of the Cologne ship fleet named "Filia Rheni", I found this a perfect name for me. Even more for a Libera forum, because Libera sings so much in Latin. So pronounce it just the way Libera would sing it. :)

P.S. I still think that alcaselceobservator is entitled to the price for the nicest tongue twister - I do not know how to pronounce that name and will have to practise a lot beforehand, if I meet him some day! :wink: :mrgreen:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Ooooh, sorry: alcesalcesobservator :oops: :? :oops:
(You see?! I am going to write that a 100 times every day from now on. ) :!: