hello! Libera from a Music Teacher standpoint

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

mbbrose

hello! Libera from a Music Teacher standpoint

Post by mbbrose »

Hello! I have come to this forum before but have not really posted. I have followed Libera for about 8 years. I first saw the group on PBS doing their Leiden concert. I was about 15 at the time and participating in music at school. I was amazed at the age and quality of the performance. I grew up singing in a choir as a "treble" as my dad is an organist. I'm very familiar with the Anglican choral tradition, so to learn about Libera's background as St. Philip's made them very relatable.

Now at the age of 22 in my final semester as a Music Education student I look at Libera from a different perspective. I work in music settings with kids that are the same ages as those in Libera. What I would give to have a cup of coffee and talk about music education with Rob Prizeman...

I show clips from concerts to the students I work with in a choir. Showing clips is particularly helpful in getting boys (age 9-12) to access their high register. The clips have also helped stage presence and performance confidence! We don't sing Libera's songs but there is a lot to learn from their stage presence and vocal quality. I also show interview clips because it makes the performances personable to kids their own age.

Discovering Libera has made me a better educator and has definitely taught a lesson about not selling kids short of their abilities. In some singing curriculums I have seen keeping elementary aged kids(5-11) ranges very small. "Avoid harmony beyond a 3rd, avoid melismatic passages, ect." While I agree that while learning to use the voice, songs must be simple and accessible, but once kids know their voices they don't want to sing unison, 1 part "kiddie" songs anymore. They will rise to the challenge and want to sing things with harmony and parts. I have seen that kids can go beyond what is suggested...and they love doing it.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: hello! Libera from a Music Teacher standpoint

Post by Yorkie »

Hi there and welcome.

What a great story. It's always nice to hear from somebody that actually understands music - I am, sadly, pretty much useless in that direction :( Can I ask what video clip the kids you teach enjoy most?

Seems a bit unnecessary to add this as you have been hanging about for years but what the hell:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
mbbrose

Re: hello! Libera from a Music Teacher standpoint

Post by mbbrose »

They really enjoy clips from Leiden DVD(they love the ah ahhs in stay with me so I hear those for days after) and the behind the scenes stuff, magic tricks and all.