Right Now

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Re: Right Now

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

I fully share your views. Are there any further legal steps that could be taken? Is there any possibility that a media campaign could shame the Student Union into reversing its position? If not, perhaps the displaced groups should approach potential corporate donors to raise funds for an alternative facility somewhere that the displaced groups could use. One way or the other, I hope that 2014 will bring you some good news.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Leaving for London tomorrow :)
Will be celebrating Candlemas at Westminster Abbey. They'll be singing a Mass setting by Tomas Luis de Victoria, one of my favourite composers. Really looking forward to that, also because it's my first ever Candlemas celebration. From what I've learned it's a lot like Easter Vigil, with the blessing of the candles. Can't wait :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

maartendas wrote:Leaving for London tomorrow :)
Will be celebrating Candlemas at Westminster Abbey. They'll be singing a Mass setting by Tomas Luis de Victoria, one of my favourite composers. Really looking forward to that, also because it's my first ever Candlemas celebration. From what I've learned it's a lot like Easter Vigil, with the blessing of the candles. Can't wait :D
How was your trip? No doubt one of the most beautiful services you can attend at WA.

I have started contemplating abandoning all rational thought regarding my budget this spring and just flying to England to hear New College Choir with EH one more time. I mean it's a reasonable excuse, no? :D

I then made the mistake of also looking at the music list of St Paul's – and the music for the weekend of First Sunday of Lent is just amazing. The only problem is that I also need to fit New College to that weekend somehow. Originally I was hoping to maybe hear a concert, but on that same Sunday they do pretty much have the perfect evensong (Walmisley in D). I think I would be quite content with that since both their Messiah part II at the end of term and a Messiah concert in the summer are timed so that I just can't make it.

That weekend even coincides with the few free days I have between terms – and I could even get flights for no more than 85 euros if I book now.

The dilemma I face is this: on Sunday the evensong at St Paul's I want to attend starts at 15:15, and it's probably 45 minutes until most of the music is sung and I could discreetly take my leave. It's then 30 minutes that it takes to Paddington, where a train leaves at 16:33 to arrive to Oxford at 17:40. Evensong at New College is at 18:00, and it's pretty much a 20-minute walk from the train station to New College.

So in theory it's possible, but realistically speaking the likelyhood that something goes wrong, or that even if I make it the train is late, is extremely high. Alas, an earlier train would cause me to miss evensong at St Paul's entirely. Missing either service would somewhat diminish the point of choosing this particular weekend.

First world problems? :mrgreen:

//Ah, it appears someone else solve my problem for me. Flight prices just bumped up 210 euros for the dates I was looking at... :lol:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

The Candlemas celebration was very special. Walking in procession through the choir was just wow. It was hard to let the candle not drip on my hands though :)
We did a tour of the Abbey as well and I am just in love with the place.
Another highlight was Hampstead, where we enjoyed great food at a French restaurant called Cote and attended a Schubertiade in an 18th century mansion. Really nice :) The food in London in general was really good btw.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Well, I didn't know where else to post this, but what does it say about a Libera fan when they include Libera in one of their dreams? . . .

I was somewhere near downtown, a couple blocks north of a fast-food Panera Bread (don't quite remember how I got there). And came upon a place called Irish Pub, and read the notice on the door that Libera was singing there tonight - $3 and $4 (not sure what the discount was, maybe if you were a regular patron of this establishment.) I thought it a bit strange, Libera singing there, but then remembered Danny Boy, as well as the Irish flavored Christmas songs, and thought "Well, maybe it would work." For some reason I was slightly aware of the concert, but had forgotten about it being tonight. So I went in (the right side entrance, not the front door for some reason) and there was a bar area in the middle with a platform stage on top of it (high ceiling), and lots of tables to the left (front) of the restaurant that had visibility to see the platform stage. I went around to the right (rear) of the bar, and there seemed to be plenty more room back there as well (perhaps more stores, like an indoor mall area), where there were temporary chairs set up, again far enough away that you could see on top of the platform. I noticed someone take a seat right in the front row of chairs there, and signaled somehow that I would sit next to him, so there was no hurry (reserved seats?). I went to the ticket window and bought my ticket from, of all people, my college choir director. Someone came up next to me from my Christian youth group, and I told him who the ticket collector was. I then wandered around to check the place out, and over to the left rear of the establishment was a back hallway with windows, and some boys were sitting around there in robes, but they were dark (blue?), and at first I thought it was Libera, but after looking at each one of their faces and not recognizing any of them (too many to be just newbies), realized that they were some other group that was the 'warmup' for Libera. I remember the warmup group getting on the platform stage above the bar. All the while I was wondering why I didn't know about this sooner, and thinking I could have rounded up 30-40 friends from church, etc. But alas, before Libera got on stage, I woke up.

Oh well, I guess our dreams are bit of a hodgepodge of bits and pieces of experiences we've had, and since I've had the privilege of seeing them three times, including one Meet & Greet, maybe this was 'wishful thinking', having them in my neck of the woods. Cheers!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

hiskeys wrote:Well, I didn't know where else to post this, but what does it say about a Libera fan when they include Libera in one of their dreams? . . .
lol. Sometimes if I read this forum or listen to their music right before bed I have dreams involving musical concerts or even with music in them :lol:

The brain is an interesting thing; creating odd scenes for us as a means of processing and storing the days information. One time I was reading for several hours about some of the paradoxes and problems with black holes right before bed as I am interested in the sciences. My whole dream involved me figuring out the secrets of the universe or something like that on a chalkboard. As I woke up I was frustrated that I couldn't remember what revolutionary, Nobel prize winning discoveries I had made :lol:

After they cancelled the concerts I was scheduled to attend I had dreams about being at those concerts and even seeing set lists. The brain is a marvelous thing.
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

I have seen dreams about Libera too - how they sing in concerts, how they come to Latvia, etc. And always, when I wake up, I'm a bit disappointed because it was just a dream...
But I don't remember if I was thinking about Libera before sleeping; I'm thinking about them during the day! :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

hiskeys wrote:Well, I didn't know where else to post this, but what does it say about a Libera fan when they include Libera in one of their dreams? . . .
I know how you feel. There was a time I dreamed about them a lot and even started a topic about it --> http://forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=851

What's interesting about your dream is that you never got to see the actual concert. There was a lot of choir related business (your former choir director, the warm-up group) but not the main feature. Also, you entered through a side entrance, not the main entrance. To me, these seem parts of your dream that could have a symbolic meaning or message for you. I just love figuring out what dreams are about so maybe this helps :)
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

Liesma wrote:I have seen dreams about Libera too - how they sing in concerts, how they come to Latvia, etc. And always, when I wake up, I'm a bit disappointed because it was just a dream...
But I don't remember if I was thinking about Libera before sleeping; I'm thinking about them during the day! :)
You are lucky person to see fantastic dreams :D wish they visit beautifull country Latvia one happy day :D
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Quite a few years ago I dreamed that one of the boys and I were on the way to an airport and got kidnapped. :? I forget how it ended.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm here right now with Bing, a Bot, and Baidu, a Spider.

Spiders, bots and me, Oh my! Spiders, Bots and me, Oh my!
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

I am just reading tons of topics :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sooo nice to be here)) and how are you guys?
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Narnian wrote:I am just reading tons of topics :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sooo nice to be here)) and how are you guys?
Hi, nice to see you pop in from time to time, You have been a member and moderator for a long time. I expect things have changed here a lot since you first joined, and a lot over the last couple of years. I do my best to keep things fresh and running, its been a fair amount of work since I picked up the admin role a couple of years ago. I did have help for a while.

Hope you keep posting, things have been a little quiet here of late. But I think that is because of a quiet spell from Libera. Hopefully with a summer concert, things will pick up.

Cheers

Paul :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

Nice to see you here Paul in good health!!)
Yeah you did a great job!! ))
and i think its a good place for young Liberians to find out good words and encouraging not just a fans place. Yeah sometimes i found myself new Libera members and have to look forward to find their names for beeing a good moderator))
As you said its a very quiet period :roll: but its ok... New concerts will bring here new ppl :D
Btw how many active mods we have now?)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Narnian wrote:Nice to see you here Paul in good health!!)
Yeah you did a great job!! ))
and i think its a good place for young Liberians to find out good words and encouraging not just a fans place. Yeah sometimes i found myself new Libera members and have to look forward to find their names for beeing a good moderator))
As you said its a very quiet period :roll: but its ok... New concerts will bring here new ppl :D
Btw how many active mods we have now?)
Sorry, I'm a little late with my reply, when I do get a chance to get on the computer, its normally back end maintenance and backups. Very rarely do I get a chance to actually read the posts. When I do, I usually have a lot of reading to catch up on.

In answer to your question, we have 2 global moderators, I'm not counting myself, because I'm not very active on the front side of Libera Dreams.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato