Member News

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

libera36

Post by libera36 »

Narnian wrote:Dont like Haloweens, sorry :lol:
Yeah, I don't really either. Holidays are for celebrating, but on Halloween you don't celebrate anything... So it doesn't seem like it should be a holiday! I do like the candy though. :wink:
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I like candy too but I don't like Halloween because of its origins. However, we are supposed to dress up for work while still keeping with the dress code. Soooo.... I'm going as a vicar :oops:
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
libera36

Post by libera36 »

tcliffy wrote:I like candy too but I don't like Halloween because of its origins. However, we are supposed to dress up for work while still keeping with the dress code. Soooo.... I'm going as a vicar :oops:
That works :D My little brother is going as Father Time, I think. He is going to wear a cloak and carry a sign saying "Remember to turn your clocks back tonight! Except for if you live in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc."
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

From the article Baptizing Halloween in the October 30, 2009 edition of the Carlisle Sentinal, Pennsylvania. Written by the Reverend Canon Mark A. Scheneman from Saint John's Episcopal Church in Carlisle.

" Halloween or All Hallows Eve, is directly related to the Christian high feast of All Saints (All Hallows) Day on November 1. On this day the great heros of the church are honored and over the centuries it has become the custom to remember all the faithful departed. Halloween developed as an extension of the feast"

To be honest, as a Christian, I have never had a real problem with Halloween. After all, according to this article, All Hallows Eve is really no different than Christmas Eve. The santanic aspects of Halloween are something relativly new, happening in the 20th Century.

To continue with a quote from the article-
" Should we be concerned(refering to satanism)? Yes. Should we educate ourselves and attempt to rehabilitate these young angry satanists? Yes. Should we cancel Halloween? No!
Our culture does not deal well with death and evil. Halloween is an opportunity at a basic level to address the dark side of life. We need not attempt to prohibit the fun. Nor should we allow satanists to take possession of this holiday.
If we cancel Halloween, then Satan had indeed won the day"
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

[quote="xsakurax"]Haha, I just like the part about asking for candies! :)[/quote]

yummy :roll: I like candies but don't like Heloweens anyway... LOL Anyone knows some christian traditions for Haloween celebration? :P
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

TEB wrote:From the article Baptizing Halloween in the October 30, 2009 edition of the Carlisle Sentinal, Pennsylvania. Written by the Reverend Canon Mark A. Scheneman from Saint John's Episcopal Church in Carlisle.

" Halloween or All Hallows Eve, is directly related to the Christian high feast of All Saints (All Hallows) Day on November 1. On this day the great heros of the church are honored and over the centuries it has become the custom to remember all the faithful departed. Halloween developed as an extension of the feast"

To be honest, as a Christian, I have never had a real problem with Halloween. After all, according to this article, All Hallows Eve is really no different than Christmas Eve. The santanic aspects of Halloween are something relativly new, happening in the 20th Century.

To continue with a quote from the article-
" Should we be concerned(refering to satanism)? Yes. Should we educate ourselves and attempt to rehabilitate these young angry satanists? Yes. Should we cancel Halloween? No!
Our culture does not deal well with death and evil. Halloween is an opportunity at a basic level to address the dark side of life. We need not attempt to prohibit the fun. Nor should we allow satanists to take possession of this holiday.
If we cancel Halloween, then Satan had indeed won the day"
My church's youth group decided to turn this Halloween into 'an evening of singspiration'. But I am sure candies sharing will be part of this evening's event.

Ann
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

my school had a dance for Halloween.

no masks though. where i live it is illegal to wear a mask in public if you are over the age of 16.
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

heeh91 wrote:my school had a dance for Halloween.

no masks though. where i live it is illegal to wear a mask in public if you are over the age of 16.
ILLEGAL? :) Where do you come from? :?:
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

Narnian wrote:
heeh91 wrote:my school had a dance for Halloween.

ILLEGAL? :) Where do you come from? :?:

Virginia. It's funny. On Halloween many stores have up signs that say NO MASKS IN THE STORE PLEASE. smart precaution i guess.
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

haha yay! i just realized that i have moved up from "newbie" to "libera fan"

:) :)
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

heeh91 wrote:haha yay! i just realized that i have moved up from "newbie" to "libera fan"

LOL :lol: Congratulations! You are growing with Libera :lol: It's nice to see you here :)
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

Narnian wrote:
heeh91 wrote:haha yay! i just realized that i have moved up from "newbie" to "libera fan"

LOL :lol: Congratulations! You are growing with Libera :lol: It's nice to see you here :)
thanks! it's great to be here.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

i dont like haloween, people think its a right for us to give them sweets, one dad popped all the balloons we had outside to symbolise where my friends house was to her friends for a party... i think its just begging and is getting out of hand over here in the UK we had teenagers who must be over 16 ask for sweets when we all knew they just wanted to do cause havic :(
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Happy Birthday Kelsie.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

I am currently going to begin my second internship on Tuesday. Once done with that, I will be done with college. :mrgreen: Then I just have to find a job. Hopefully there will be some teacher positions available.