Member News

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

so this is totally random but when i logged on today i saw this at the sign in page:

Most users ever online was 22 on Fri Aug 05, 1983 1:14 am

hmmmmm 1983 eh? i wasn't even a thought back then! were there computers? :D :wink:
chix
Silver Member

Post by chix »

heeh91 wrote:so this is totally random but when i logged on today i saw this at the sign in page:

Most users ever online was 22 on Fri Aug 05, 1983 1:14 am

hmmmmm 1983 eh? i wasn't even a thought back then! were there computers? :D :wink:
I saw that too! At first I thought I was out of my mind. Haha! (I haven't slept all night because of school stuff!)
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

oh, yes i know how the all nighters go...they're a pain.

i have been off of school for a week now because of snow..but tomorrow i have to go back :( darn! but it is supposed to snow tomorrow again so we'll see :)
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

thank heavens for semester breaks(by choice needed a break after 2 1/2 years). I noticed that just didnt think to comment.....and all nighters do suck, but my recent bouts of insomnia lead me to just take an overnight position at my job(more money oh yea). Sry that you have to go back to school heeh91 but learn something worthwhile!
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Did you ever get back to school after the Snowpocalypse and Winter Fury (or whatever they called the 2nd storm)? I have a friend down in Loyola that as of yesterday hasn't been in class since last wednesday (over a week ago)!
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Mathmaniac wrote:Did you ever get back to school after the Snowpocalypse and Winter Fury (or whatever they called the 2nd storm)? I have a friend down in Loyola that as of yesterday hasn't been in class since last wednesday (over a week ago)!
woooooow that kinda sucks if u love school or wanna finish and now ur going to be delayed, but awesome if u hate it lol
lacrymosa2
Silver Member

Post by lacrymosa2 »

I went to see the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra perform at the Walt Disney Hall in Los Angeles on Wednesday, the 17th. Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra is one of the oldest orchestras in the world, dating back to 1781 and Felix Mendelssohn served as the music director at one time. The program featured Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto, known as the "Emperor" and Beethoven's 7th Symphony with Louis Lortie on the piano and Riccardo Chailly conducting. The concert featured two encores: a sonata and an overture, whose name unfortunately escaped from my head.

The program started off with Louis Lortie doing the piano concerto. Throughout the whole piece, Lortie mesmerized the whole audience and me with his technically correct, passionate, yet humourous playing, which I really enjoyed. Every time I saw Louis Lortie behind that piano, he seemed to enjoy every moment of it, and I always adore musicians who has passion for what they do.

The next piece was Beethoven's 7th Symphony, whose second movement is used as the basis for Libera's "Sacris Solemniis". I always liked Beethoven's 7th Symphony because of it's dynamic yet gracious nature, and hearing it live for the first time is quite an experience for me. Also, one must consider the fact that Beethoven wrote the piece when he started to lose his hearing. I considered Chailly's interpretation of the 7th to be very crisp and clear and no notes were missed at all.

I consider this concert to be pretty good, but it did not captivate me like the time I went to see the Berlin Philharmonic on the 27 of November in 2009 when they played Brahms' First Symphony. Also, I had to understand the fact that the orchestra was much smaller than Berlin Phil, so the sound did not have a dynamic effect.

My suggestion to anyone who likes "Sacris Solemniis" is to go see a live performance of Beethoven's 7th Symphony at least once in your lifetime. Hearing the original piece live makes you realize how great of a composer Beethoven was. I had the same experience when I heard Brahms' First Symphony live and I still remember it to this day.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Yesterday I had a choir performance in a chapel, during worship. We sang among other Rutter's 'All Things Bright And Beautiful' & 'Irish Blessing - May the road rise' (not Libera's version).
To the native britains among you, can you hear a german accent in the songs?

Altenesch Steeple Crows Feb 2011
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Sue wrote:Yesterday I had a choir performance in a chapel, during worship. We sang among other Rutter's 'All Things Bright And Beautiful' & 'Irish Blessing - May the road rise' (not Libera's version).

That was interesting to see ! Thanks for posting ! :D
P.s. Although I'm not a native britain at all, but I think I can hear a german accent a bit :wink: Especially for the 2nd song "All Things Bright And Beautiful" Sounds OK ! Liked this song most out of the 3 you covered :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Sue wrote:Yesterday I had a choir performance in a chapel, during worship. We sang among other Rutter's 'All Things Bright And Beautiful' & 'Irish Blessing - May the road rise' (not Libera's version).

The accent isn't bad at all Sue, very slight, and the words are easily understood.

On the flip side, how is New College's German accent on this piece of Bach?

[youtube][/youtube]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote:

The accent isn't bad at all Sue, very slight, and the words are easily understood.
Yorkie is right - your accent isn't bad at all !
Just in case- i mean no ill will :D
P.s. Sue, when you will hear my accent, you'll be shocked :lol: :lol:
Sue
Silver Member

Re: Member News

Post by Sue »

In the cathedral chorister you can find impressions and a report of my journey to the big festival 33.German Evangelical Church Day. I would be happy about comments (you can write there as a guest, it's no problem) and if you would read along :D

http://chorsaengerin.twoday.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenvinlee89

Post by kenvinlee89 »

Hello, I now became a member of this community here and I would love to be a part of it. Just enjoy the environment here
DeProfundis130

Re:

Post by DeProfundis130 »

Yorkie wrote:

On the flip side, how is New College's German accent on this piece of Bach?
Dearest Yorkie;

Thank You so much for this Bach Piece. I was not the least bit surprised to find it to be one of "TrebleChoir99"s, Listings.
Not having fixed knowledge as to gender I must suspect, (why I don't know) it to be Male. I would be aghast to find him not to be a member of This Forum! I Pray it not to be forever more a Mystery of his actual membership. So far in these my early days of participation hereon I am continually "BLOWN AWAY"! what few tidbits here and there I pick up bespeak to me a community from many different areas of the Globe who seem almost to be Next Door Neighbors! I Hope my query is implied and explained.

Peace, Gerald.
Last edited by viabuona on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted Video
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Treblechoir99 is a member of the French forum > http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; His name there is Treble.
They're as crazy as us here, only difference is they're French :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above