Billy Elliot

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by paul »

maartendas wrote:Don't you get an official Billy fix from the government Paul? I thought you were entitled to one by now... ;)

Any news yet on the new London Billy?
I have no news myself, although I was going to give VPT a miss this weekend, I think i'm going to head down nice and early to pick up a couple of day tickets for the matinee and evening performance. Hopefully I will get to see the new Billy and also Ryan again. He has become a massive hit in the westend show.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

paul30003 wrote: Hopefully I will get to see the new Billy and also Ryan again. He has become a massive hit in the westend show.
The more I look back on it, the more I count myself lucky to have seen Ryan in June. I'd be interested to follow his career after BETM (same goes for Kyril by the way, one of the American Billys, a very passionate ballet dancer).
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

maartendas wrote:
paul30003 wrote: Hopefully I will get to see the new Billy and also Ryan again. He has become a massive hit in the westend show.
The more I look back on it, the more I count myself lucky to have seen Ryan in June. I'd be interested to follow his career after BETM (same goes for Kyril by the way, one of the American Billys, a very passionate ballet dancer).
Yes you where very luck to see Ryan. I'm trying very hard not to favour and particular Billy as this will lead to disappointment when they eventually leave the show, but its hard not to favour Ryan as he has a unique style and passion that clearly comes through in his performances. All the Billys have an extraordinary skill but Ryan just seems to have that extra spark. Like electricity :lol:
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Could not resit getting in a couple of shows yesterday :)
It was Scott McKenzie for Matinee ans Dean-Charles for evening.
Scott's parents where sitting behind me for the show. I met Scott & his parents at the stage door after, and had a chat. Scott is a very charming young man and was kind enough to sign a T-shirt for me (I asked his parents first of course!)
tshirt.jpg
tshirt.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
tshirt.jpg
tshirt.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
Did anyone see Scott McKenzie on TV last night?

Here is the youtube video if anyone missed it or are outside the UK

[youtube][/youtube]

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

You're lucky :) He has a cute autograph :) I'll watch that video later, thanks for the link.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Something else I forgot to mention, although I know Scott is Scottish, it was realy weird to hear him in his Scottish accent. I was expecting something like.

"Nee bother I ganun dee it now for yiz" :lol:

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

paul30003 wrote:Something else I forgot to mention, although I know Scott is Scottish, it was realy weird to hear him in his Scottish accent. I was expecting something like.

"Nee bother I ganun dee it now for yiz" :lol:
Yeah, I can understand :lol:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

P8060480.JPG
P8060480.JPG (115.04 KiB) Viewed 7567 times
P8060480.JPG
P8060480.JPG (115.04 KiB) Viewed 7567 times

For tonight’s performance, Wow! Ryan is truly on top form, I can honestly say that tonight’s performance was the best by far that I have seen.

Grandma’s Song brought big beaming smiles from Ryan when Grandma started to dance.

Expressing yourself was just perfect, Ryan and Joe make a great duo and I could see that they where enjoying performing it as much as I enjoyed watching it.

The Letter was truly believable and brought a tear to my eye.

Born to Boogie was step perfect, even the difficult skipping part.

Angry dance was perfect and really had my heart racing.

Electricity as expected had the audience gasping when Ryan performed the back flips. Again the whole scene was just perfect.

The Letter – Reprise, another star performance.

Finale, to finish of the night was just the icing on the cake.

It’s great to have Ryan back at his very best; I so much enjoyed tonight’s performance and its one that will stick in my memory for a very long time.

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Glad to hear that Paul. The fact that some people see the show so many times and still come home with such enthusiasm, is testimony to the script and the songs but above all to the performers.
Do you know how long Ryan will stay on the show? And is there any news on the new Billy, Adam?
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

maartendas wrote:Glad to hear that Paul. The fact that some people see the show so many times and still come home with such enthusiasm, is testimony to the script and the songs but above all to the performers.
Do you know how long Ryan will stay on the show? And is there any news on the new Billy, Adam?
Yep, I see Adam perform yesterday at the matinee. It need not be said that he was good, as it takes a special talent to be selected for the show. There where a couple of small mistakes but I put this down to his lack of experience rather than his ability. It was a good performance though, and he pulled of the accent really well for a yank.

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Glad to hear that Paul. The fact that some people see the show so many times and still come home with such enthusiasm, is testimony to the script and the songs but above all to the performers.
The lads playing Billy get contracts of 6 months at a time. Scott who leaves next month has been with the show for about a year. Rhys who left in April was in it for 18 months and Dean will have been with the show for about two years. How long they stay depends on a few things but obviously Mother Nature can not be denied. The first Billy I saw hit puberty just after he started and lasted only 6 months.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Spin Billy, spin:

[youtube][/youtube]

Now I debated for ages on whether to post the next one. after the Epsom kerfuffle about illegal filming I'm not certain how people will feel about this. In the end I decided that BETM is a professional show making millions from sell out shows and as most of us have seen it already it isn't likely to do any harm.

Somebody on YouTube has uploaded a full performance from the New York show. Although there are some differences from the London original they're not enough to make a big difference. You can see all the parts if you watch via YouTube:

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Well, my personnal feeling is that poorly filmed and recorded video don't help the show :|
I mean : if I had never seen the show and just discover it through that blury video filmed from above with a bad sound, I'm not sure this would gives me the envie to pay to see the real show...

The stage seems smaller than the Victoria Palace, isn't it ?

By the way thank you for this video Yorkie :)
It allows me now to be sure to never book a seat in the balcony, the sight is much too high :lol:

I will go to the Songs of Praise show on Sunday 25/09, so I will go to the BETM on Saturday evening 24/09 :)
My seat is in the stalls, J19
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yeah, I know what you mean about the quality putting people off if they are unfamiliar with the show - just like a Libera concert, you can't beat being there in person. If anybody sees this and thinks the show isn't for them, please give it a try; it is much better in person (but try to get close and to the centre of the stage).

Funny that you thought the stage was smaller because I thought it was bigger! It is certainly lower so those front row seats are very expensive in New York. Glad to see you are having a second look at the London show, I'm sure you won't regret it. I once sat on the balcony to see the lights. Once was enough :D

Enjoy the Songs of Praise show.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I may actually join you for the show, although I can't justify top price for a seat, but we can chat before, after and during intermission.

- Plato