Billy Elliot

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by maartendas »

A couple of times, Paul? :)

Tully: For non-Dutch speaking people, it probably all sounds the same, and rough enough for that matter :wink: But there is quite a number of (rough) dialects even in a small country like the Netherlands.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The first boy's enunciation of the words of the song was definitely more harsh than any of the other's. Would that be close to an Dutch urban working class accent?
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

No, that was due to this particular boy's effort to make the words be heard clearly, I think.
An example of working class Amsterdam accent:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Hmmm........... You're right, I can't tell the difference.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Saw the Dutch performance of Billy Elliot this week. It was as good as the original :)
The accent they used to represent the Geordie accent from the original was actually a 'made up' accent. There are many existing accents in Dutch but according to the programme book that would put the story too much in a specific part of the Netherlands. I had to get used to their accent but it worked okay. And there were a LOT of cusswords, I didn't remember that many from the original :wink: On the whole I thought the translation was done really well. Some of the lines in the songs are quite tricky to redo in Dutch.

The boy who played Billy, Sammy Kuit, had a very commanding stage presence. His emotion was tangible even from the back of the theatre. The beginning of the Angry Dance was so intense it took my breath away. At the end of the show he just ruled the stage.
The boy who played Michael, Jochem Trok, also had a very theatrical personality. The song Expressing Yourself was done with so much flair, an absolute treat to watch. Just like it was when I saw the original.
I was happy that the audience responded really well to all the jokes. The comic timing went really well. And then there were also many moments I had tears in my eyes.
Everything else about this wonderful production has already been said :) And again, the Swan Lake piece worked magic.
CONTEMPLATOR

Post by CONTEMPLATOR »

maartendas wrote:Hi Contemplator, welcome to the Forum!
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you want to know if something has been discussed already you can use the 'Search' option in the dark blue Menu bar at the top of the page.
I thought that Paul and Yorkie at first will be welcoming me... Image
Thanks, maartendas Image (actually, I know your name as Adrian, don't I make a mistake? Image)! You're referring to my bad English, aren’t you? Image Can't be helped. Image My wise parents had courageously protected me from the school because the modern English education system is a willful violation of the Convention on the rights of the child. Image Image
If seriously, then I had meant the purchase of backing tracks of the specific song, for example, I would like to have instrumental of the song "The time" with background of choir, but without soloists...
I don't know where to write here that everyone could to see my questions. Image
I will read your response with big joy. Image
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

[ETA - Strange, this is a reply from a different topic. Maybe a Moderator can move this back to the original topic...]
CONTEMPLATOR wrote: Thanks, maartendas Image (actually, I know your name as Adrian, don't I make a mistake? Image)!
You're welcome. But you're mistaken, my real name isn't Adrian. It's Maarten :wink:
CONTEMPLATOR wrote: You're referring to my bad English, aren’t you? Image
[...]
If seriously, then I had meant the purchase of backing tracks of the specific song, for example, I would like to have instrumental of the song "The time" with background of choir, but without soloists...
I don't know where to write here that everyone could to see my questions. Image
That's okay, I understood almost what you meant. The Forum is international so not everyone speaks English.
About the backing tracks - I have no clue. I would contact the Libera team and ask them about it.
CONTEMPLATOR

Post by CONTEMPLATOR »

maartendas wrote:It's Maarten
I am Alex. Image I am the most foreign foreigner Image
and this is my not divided love: Image
maartendas wrote:I would contact the Libera team and ask them about it.
Aren’t this is possible? Image You don’t say! I am astounded! Image
In this case, I would be honored to be your friend Image and I hope, you will not to mind Image

By the way in Holland - the best in the world naval ships Image ... were under Peter 1 Image
And if to speak about the best actor in the "Billy Elliot",
unfortunately Jamie Bell drowned in the awards yet 15 years ago Image
Last edited by CONTEMPLATOR on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

CONTEMPLATOR wrote:
maartendas wrote:I would contact the Libera team and ask them about it.
Aren’t this is possible? Image You don’t say! I am astounded! Image
In this case, I would be honored to be your friend Image and I hope, you will not to mind Image
What I meant was: If I were you, in your situation, I would ask the Libera team about it.
I can't do that for you ;)
CONTEMPLATOR

Post by CONTEMPLATOR »

maartendas wrote:I can't do that for you
I'm a little disappointed. I thought it is assumed here to help each other...Image
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

The Dutch production of Billy ended this weekend. Sad to see it go as it was really a great version of the original. I was lucky to be at the final show, which was an unforgettable night. A unique atmosphere and a really good performance by all, topped with a finale mash-up of Electricity and Expressing Yourself by all 12 Billys and all 12 Michaels who performed in the show.

Maybe this is old news, but for some time now there is a DVD of the London musical, with Elliot Hanna as Billy - and Liam Mower (one of the original Billys) as the grown up Billy in the Swan Lake scene. If anyone is interested, it's absolutely worth watching. Ofcourse nothing beats the experience of live theatre, but they captured it so well it really does the show justice. Here is a link to the official website: http://london.billyelliotthemusical.com ... nload-now/
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Is anyone going to (one of) the final shows of BETM in London? I'm stuck here in the Netherlands and would love to hear stories :)
These days are bittersweet, knowing the show is nearing its last goodbye...
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

maartendas wrote:Is anyone going to (one of) the final shows of BETM in London? I'm stuck here in the Netherlands and would love to hear stories :)
These days are bittersweet, knowing the show is nearing its last goodbye...
I'm not so sure if its reaching the end. It is going on tour, and i'm sure its for the duration of the refurbishment of the VPT. I won't be going, as the show has gotten a little old for me. I think that certain members here will be in attendance though and will give a thorough review.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Apologies for the ancient thread resurrection. *puts the Necronomicon back on his shelf*

The Libera boredom thread got me thinking of one of my other obsessions, and how things can change. I was there, front of the Royal Circle for the final VPT show. Saw the show in 10 different countries over the following few years. Then in July I went to see the new production at the Leicester Curve. To cut a long story short, I absolutely hated the new production, to my eyes and ears they had destroyed nearly every aspect of what had made the show so amazing for me. After mulling it over for a few weeks I decided to take a break and to end my association with the show. Was it really that bad, or had I finally reached saturation point with the musical? Will that be the 69th and final show ever? Will I return to it at some point? Who knows! But I think that if you get to a point where you are bored or even start hating something you previously loved and were obsessed with (like Libera for instance), it is possibly the time to step back, take a break and then maybe return to it later to see how you feel.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Aaaaaw I had no idea there was a "reboot" :( As a huge fan of the musical but having NEVER seen the show live, I would have been fine with any difference and slightly disappointing choice and would have hated everything different yet would have loved everything :lol: Please let me know next time ! I almost booked tickets to Spain but then again, I mean... Billy Elliot is a british story, I can't bring myself to see the show but not in english. I NEED TO SEE THE SHOW. It's on my bucket list challenge.