How to change the messages time display ?

Inform us here about Bugs and Suggestions

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

How to change the messages time display ?

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I would like to change the way the forum gives me the visibility about the date and time a message was posted.

Currently the forum displays the posting time by referring it to the system time, as for example "3 hours ago", "6 days ago", "5 years ago"...
This is not useful when I search for the exact day or time a message was posted.

So in my control panel I tried to change the setting on the date format, but it gave no result.
Whatever I tried in the Control Panel, the time displayed by the forum remain the same.

Here an example :
1) This message was posted 8 years ago, and I would like to know which exact day it was :

2) In my control panel, my date format was already supposed to give visibility of the full date and time...

3) I did many tries, including using custom settings, but nothing changed as result.
Whatever I tried to set in the Date Format field, the forum kept showing me just "8 years ago" :?
Example, this test setting was supposed to display only the month, but it had no effect :

4) Something funny, in the drop down list of the time settings, there are not least than 5 presets named "0 seconds ago"...
I guess this is somehow related to the issue I encounter.

Of course I 'submitted' my changes in the Control panel, I did some logout / login, I deleted the Web browser cache and cookies, but is changed nothing.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Am I the only one being unable to change the result of the time displayed on the messages ?

Thank you for your advises :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: How to change the messages time display ?

Post by filiarheni »

I don't know how you can do it without a mouse, but when you use a mouse, you just go there with your mouse and then date and time appear. :)

I understand the wish very well, I always want to know that, too, and I'd want someone to explain what is the purpose of substituting the exact data by "2 hours ago, 4 years ago etc." All the more, as it is often misleading, because it says "1 month ago", when it was the beginning of May, and now we are nearly at the end of June. The same with years: "1 year ago" could indeed mean several months more than only one year.

Or did you mean that you want to see it at first sight without having to use the mouse rolling over it? I tried the same thing as you did, over my control panel, but it didn't work. So I was glad that at least there is a possibility to find out date and time, when I want to know it.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: How to change the messages time display ?

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you Filiarheni :D

I didn't know the trick of the hovering on time tag with the mouse !
I did well by asking on the forum, I wanted to change the time display since months, and who knows how much more time would have passed before I find it by myself :lol: