Site being slow

Inform us here about Bugs and Suggestions

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Site being slow

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm having a great deal of trouble connecting to Libera Dreams, sometimes it takes 4 or 5 attempts before I'm succsessful. I also have problems posting in threads, I'll type up the post, then when I attempt to submit it the submission fails.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

TullyBascombe wrote:I'm having a great deal of trouble connecting to Libera Dreams, sometimes it takes 4 or 5 attempts before I'm succsessful. I also have problems posting in threads, I'll type up the post, then when I attempt to submit it the submission fails.
Try once to clear up your local cache by pressing Strg+F5 when your on the Libera-Dreams site. :roll:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

viabuona wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote:I'm having a great deal of trouble connecting to Libera Dreams, sometimes it takes 4 or 5 attempts before I'm succsessful. I also have problems posting in threads, I'll type up the post, then when I attempt to submit it the submission fails.
Try once to clear up your local cache by pressing Strg+F5 when your on the Libera-Dreams site. :roll:
What is the "Strg" key? Is it the same as "Ctrl"?
timjanni

Post by timjanni »

TullyBascombe wrote:
viabuona wrote:
What is the "Strg" key? Is it the same as "Ctrl"?
Yep, it's "Ctrl". :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I tried that and it made the problem worse. Last night I couldn't log on at all.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

TullyBascombe wrote:I tried that and it made the problem worse. Last night I couldn't log on at all.
By chance I was online when you wrote this post and I took this opportunity to take your Cyber-Fingerprint (don't worry - this are normal informations which your PC has to change with a server to be able to connect to him). :D

When you clean the cache then the hole site will be reloaded and this can take some time (special when the connection is bad).

As I could see there was an connection issue on June 19 with some database from Dreamhost (our hosting company) in Los Angeles. When you made today the connection to Libera-Dreams from the same place and with the same Internet-Provider like yesterday it's possible that you was affected from this issue. So in this case the connection should be better now.

You are running under MS Vista, but it looks as you doesn't have installed the latest Servicepack. Please check this and if this is the case you should do the update.

Another point is your Browser IE 9, this is a 32-bit application and your PC is a 64-bit machine. So this is another bottleneck. Could be an idea to think about another browser which works as 64-bit application.

Should you still have this connection problem try once to do a 'ping'
  • Open a command window (some say them a DOS window)
  • At the command prompt type: ping libera-dreams.com
In your case the response time should be around 50ms for each of the 4 packages which are sended to the server. If you are not so practiced whith this things, your welcome to send me the result as a PM.

If the respond time is longer or if packages are lost you should do a tracert like it is described one or two posts before. The result you can also send via PM to me. Do not post this result here in this topic. The trace shows up the hole way from your PC to the Libera-Dreams server, not really something which should showed up in public. :wink:

It would be also interesting to know how long you have this problems and what you have maybe changed (eg other ISP, other hardware, etc.).
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

viabuona wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote:I tried that and it made the problem worse. Last night I couldn't log on at all.
By chance I was online when you wrote this post and I took this opportunity to take your Cyber-Fingerprint (don't worry - this are normal informations which your PC has to change with a server to be able to connect to him). :D

When you clean the cache then the hole site will be reloaded and this can take some time (special when the connection is bad).

As I could see there was an connection issue on June 19 with some database from Dreamhost (our hosting company) in Los Angeles. When you made today the connection to Libera-Dreams from the same place and with the same Internet-Provider like yesterday it's possible that you was affected from this issue. So in this case the connection should be better now.

You are running under MS Vista, but it looks as you doesn't have installed the latest Servicepack. Please check this and if this is the case you should do the update.

Another point is your Browser IE 9, this is a 32-bit application and your PC is a 64-bit machine. So this is another bottleneck. Could be an idea to think about another browser which works as 64-bit application.

Should you still have this connection problem try once to do a 'ping'
  • Open a command window (some say them a DOS window)
  • At the command prompt type: ping libera-dreams.com
In your case the response time should be around 50ms for each of the 4 packages which are sended to the server. If you are not so practiced whith this things, your welcome to send me the result as a PM.

If the respond time is longer or if packages are lost you should do a tracert like it is described one or two posts before. The result you can also send via PM to me. Do not post this result here in this topic. The trace shows up the hole way from your PC to the Libera-Dreams server, not really something which should showed up in public. :wink:

It would be also interesting to know how long you have this problems and what you have maybe changed (eg other ISP, other hardware, etc.).
It may take me some time to try all that. Which browsers are 64 bit?
Would I need to open a command prompt while using my browser? How is that done?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I checked out what you said about not having the latest edition of Vista - I am running service pack 2, which is the latest version of Windows Vista. Actually it's the last version, there wont be any more updates because Windows 7 is out. There were a few minor updates for Visual Studio that I wa missing. I found that I have a 64 bit version of IE, so I've switched to that, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

TullyBascombe wrote: Would I need to open a command prompt while using my browser?
No, it would even be better when all applications which are touching the internet are closed.
TullyBascombe wrote: How is that done?
You can hold down shift and right-click and you will get the option to "Open Command Window Here." This will open a Command Prompt that is queued to your current directory. For example, if I use the above command on the desktop, the corresponding Command Prompt session will be set to C:\Users\asdf\Desktop. To copy/paste the text, you need to select Edit, Paste from the command window's system menu.
A shortcut is to use Ctrl+C to copy the text, then simply right-click in the command window to paste the text. To enable this shortcut, you must first select Properties from the command window's system menu. Select the QuickEdit Mode check box on the Options tab and click OK.