"Angel" (Isaac) or: Thoughts about song releases and releasing practice

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: "Angel" (Isaac) or: Thoughts about song releases and releasing practice

Post by filiarheni »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 3:34 am">6 years ago</span> As one would expect when the soloist is TDL, it was perfect. The high notes even awakened the bats in the belfry of the cathedral who swooped above Tom as he sang. He didn't skip a note but glanced upwards, as if to heaven. The video must be priceless and why we have been denied seeing it I cannot fathom.
Bats! This is quite a story to tell, and how I wish I had seen that! I'll add this anecdote to my Libera amusement collection. Obviously, the bats understood the meaning of "voca me", didn't they? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I cannot stop admiring that they can be so perfect when performing live (although I do not claim technical perfection always, as long as the musical feeling touches my soul), with and without bats. Or grasshoppers. :wink:

And I herewith officially sign the petition for a release of the Armagh version of Voca Me! :!:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 3:34 am">6 years ago</span> As one would expect when the soloist is TDL, it was perfect. The high notes even awakened the bats in the belfry of the cathedral who swooped above Tom as he sang. He didn't skip a note but glanced upwards, as if to heaven. The video must be priceless and why we have been denied seeing it I cannot fathom.
Well, in the 'Behind The Scenes' video on the DVD 'Christmas in Ireland', when leaving the stage after recording, Cassius says with a very excited voice that there was a bat, which flew directly in front of the cameras. I think, this may be the reason, why the video was regarded not suitable :(.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 11:47 am">6 years ago</span> And I herewith officially sign the petition for a release of the Armagh version of Voca Me! :!:
Yes, me too :!: Definitely :!: With my both hands :!:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 6:39 pm">6 years ago</span>
Well, in the 'Behind The Scenes' video on the DVD 'Christmas in Ireland', when leaving the stage after recording, Cassius says with a very excited voice that there was a bat, which flew directly in front of the cameras. I think, this may be the reason, why the video was regarded not suitable :(.
Well, no that won't be the reason. There were over 6 cameras in place (would have to check back on my review for that one) and also it wasn't a one off take. They sang it two or three times if I remember correctly in the Thursday rehearsal. One of the reasons for that is that one of the cameras was mounted on a long telescopic arm they brought that to the centre aisle for one of the takes so that they could film from the front of the stage. On the Friday this camera was only located at the side of the stage in order to not obstruct the audience view (so any time on the DVD you see an angle that appears to be from directly in front of the stage but high and close up that will be a cut from the Thursday night rehearsal.

They removed the Christmas tree and all the candles for the filming of Voca Me and I agree with John, it was a great recording with Tom bang on the money. The bats only appeared when he hit those really top notes and bear in mind that they didn't appear for any of the songs that went before nor again on Friday when VM wasn't sung. I think that says something about the power of Tom's singing :D

This is the link to the that filming: http://forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopi ... 8&start=45
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Well I'm glad we got the Voca Me from the America DVD but yes it would have been nice to have seen the armagh performance too. It goes into the wishing bucket along with 'Far Away' (the song they sung at Yankee Stadium before Sanctus) and 'Moon Represents My Heart' we never got the see/hear the full version. I'm hoping the 360 Video of Angele Dei filmed at St George's doesn't fall into that list.

P.S. Also being a bit lazy to check back... was Voca Me the only song that didn't make the Ireland DVD? (inclusive of the one's that were added to the extra's menu)
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 pm">6 years ago</span> Well, no that won't be the reason. There were over 6 cameras in place (would have to check back on my review for that one) and also it wasn't a one off take. They sang it two or three times if I remember correctly in the Thursday rehearsal. One of the reasons for that is that one of the cameras was mounted on a long telescopic arm they brought that to the centre aisle for one of the takes so that they could film from the front of the stage. On the Friday this camera was only located at the side of the stage in order to not obstruct the audience view (so any time on the DVD you see an angle that appears to be from directly in front of the stage but high and close up that will be a cut from the Thursday night rehearsal.

They removed the Christmas tree and all the candles for the filming of Voca Me and I agree with John, it was a great recording with Tom bang on the money. The bats only appeared when he hit those really top notes and bare in mind that they didn't appear for any of the songs that went before nor again on Friday when VM wasn't sung. I think that says something about the power of Tom's singing :D

This is the link to the that filming: http://forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopi ... 8&start=45
Thank you Yorkie for the explanation. What can be better than an eye-witness perspective. :)

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 pm">6 years ago</span> I'm hoping the 360 Video of Angele Dei filmed at St George's doesn't fall into that list.
Was it Angele Dei which was filmed in 360 degrees surround at St.Georges? Maybe they are waiting until the CD 'Hope' is released and then they will also release the video. Hopefully. Well, the announcement for "360 degrees songs (plural!!) from St.Georges coming soon" is still there on Libera's official web site (at Wonderful World live video from the same concert). So, there is maybe a slight chance...
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

If it was recorded onto a DVD or Blu-Ray disc how much extra space would a 360 degree video occupy?
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 am">6 years ago</span> If it was recorded onto a DVD or Blu-Ray disc how much extra space would a 360 degree video occupy?
This depends generally on the video resolution and compression level, which may vary depending on the recording hardware and software settings. But in average, a 360 degrees video file can be approximately 5 times bigger than a standard video file with comparable quality.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 6:39 pm">6 years ago</span> Well, in the 'Behind The Scenes' video on the DVD 'Christmas in Ireland', when leaving the stage after recording, Cassius says with a very excited voice that there was a bat, which flew directly in front of the cameras.
You're right, I remember to have heard it, but I had forgotten (how could I?).
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 pm">6 years ago</span> There were over 6 cameras in place (would have to check back on my review for that one) and also it wasn't a one off take.
I can understand that they want to deliver a serious Voca Me video, and serious means without bats. If you plan a filming, there always have to be enough cameras to make sure that in case that one of them becomes defect, it does not destroy the project in total. Is there a chance that the entire video of the song can be provided without showing a bat? If so and following the words of you all that it was a perfect performance, I can well imagine that they will release it one day.

Concerning the funny part of the story, they could additionally release a short clip of the recording that shows that unique surprise scene with the bats. I mean: similar to the outtakes videos (like the one with Cassius and Jude), just for entertaining their fans.

I'm so eager to see it, see everything of it.

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 pm">6 years ago</span> The bats only appeared when he hit those really top notes and bear in mind that they didn't appear for any of the songs that went before nor again on Friday when VM wasn't sung.
This is so special, I'm at a loss for words. :D
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Vince, an instrument-builder, organ-repairman, and sound engineer who has had a lot of experience with bats and belfries, says that the bats wouldn't have responded to the high notes, but more probably to the warmth arising from the stage lighting and full audience.
Robolib7

Post by Robolib7 »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 pm">6 years ago</span> Vince, an instrument-builder, organ-repairman, and sound engineer who has had a lot of experience with bats and belfries, says that the bats wouldn't have responded to the high notes, but more probably to the warmth arising from the stage lighting and full audience.
Since bats “see” by using ultrasonic sound, I thought it might be possible that very high notes (or the harmonics of) might disturb them. Alternatively, maybe this bat just didn’t particularly care for Voca Me. Did it also appear during Exsultate?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 pm">6 years ago</span> Vince, an instrument-builder, organ-repairman, and sound engineer who has had a lot of experience with bats and belfries, says that the bats wouldn't have responded to the high notes, but more probably to the warmth arising from the stage lighting and full audience.
If Vince was actually there he would have noticed that Tom was positioned far apart from the main group - in the same set up as can be seen here: He might have also noticed that the bats swooped directly over Tom as he sang the high notes and that they did not appear at any other time during the three hour rehearsal/shoot. He would have noticed that the source of the lighting was quite distant from the stage and not excessively bright. If he was particularly observant he might have also noticed that the audience was not full. In fact far from it, being an unadvertised rehearsal/shoot attended by invited guests and diehard fans only - perhaps 100 or so.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So you're saying that Tom's voice reaches the ultrasonic range? Maybe.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Way less than a 100 in the audience I think, just a few dozen at most. Maybe it was a coincidence they only appeared then, maybe not 😎
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 am">6 years ago</span> So you're saying that Tom's voice reaches the ultrasonic range? Maybe.
No, this is for sure not possible. The treble range reaches the C6 note (so called high C), which is roughly 1050 Hz. Some individual boy sopranos are able to reach maybe D6 or E6 (E6 is approx 1300 Hz). The ultrasonic range starts at approximately 16000 Hz (or even 20000 Hz) - it's an over 10 times higher frequency. No human being is able to produce such high sounds and I also doubt it, if there can be so high harmonics in the human voice. However another phenomenon may have occurred: acoustic resonance, which may have amplified some frequencies, possibly also in the ultrasonic range.
--- What a boring stuff have I written here? :oops:

I prefer the explanation, that the bat simply loved the music and wanted to say hello to Tom :lol: .
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Is it called C6 in English? In German it is C''' ("three-lined C"). Why must there be a difference ...

"Voca me" means "Call me", and the bats understood they were the ones who were called. :idea:

Whatever the explanation is (sadly, we can't ask them), it is a memorable happening which I would have loved to see so much, and a very nice one, so sweet and funny. :D One of the special things that nobody, who was there, will ever forget.

I keep hoping for a video. Dear Libera, ...