Libera Members Time Line

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Libera Members Time Line

Post by Dinedorelle »

I was wondering whether anybody within the Forum has details of a complete list of the Libera singers?
I dont mean the recent singers, but the choir members that were part of The St Philip's Church Choir in the early 80's, then afterwards when they changed to Angel Voices.
I thought it would be an interesting (and incredibly difficult task) to try and name every member since they started in 1984.
The information is everywhere on the net - there are forums and blogs but I've not found a detailed list anywhere. I guess I could call the church but that wouldnt be so much fun!
It just needed gathering and making sense of, so I've an interesting timeline from their conception until now with 152 names so far. Its all on an Excel spreadsheet so I can overlap the years/career length of each singer.

If anyone could help fill in the gaps so we can compile a complete list, I'd be willing to share it here.
The more recent boys aren't a problem as its so well documented, it's the guys who are 40 odd now, and were members in the early 80's and 90's.

Anyone like to help?

EDIT : During 2020 Google changed the way their links previewed. You can now click on the link on their preview page to view the entire Timeline.

Last edited by Dinedorelle on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bamboo
Silver Member

Re: Libera Members Time Line

Post by bamboo »

I've found these 2 sites helpful: http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... 2018#24512 and http://liberasworld.blogspot.com/p/member-profiles.html but not sure if there's one database that compiles everything!
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Dinedorelle wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:56 pm">8 years ago</span> I was wondering whether anybody within the Forum has details of a complete list of the Libera singers?
I dont mean the recent singers, but the choir members that were part of The St Philip's Church Choir in the early 80's, then afterwards when they changed to Angel Voices.
I thought it would be an interesting (and incredibly difficult task) to try and name every member since they started in 1984.
The information is everywhere on the net - there are forums and blogs but I've not found a detailed list anywhere. I guess I could call the church but that wouldnt be so much fun!
It just needed gathering and making sense of, so I've an interesting timeline from their conception until now with 152 names so far. Its all on an Excel spreadsheet so I can overlap the years/career length of each singer.

If anyone could help fill in the gaps so we can compile a complete list, I'd be willing to share it here.
The more recent boys aren't a problem as its so well documented, it's the guys who are 40 odd now, and were members in the early 80's and 90's.

Anyone like to help? :?
A lot of the early St. Philip's and Angel Voices boys are missing from any complete list. A friend of mine in Korea has tried to get early members' names from St. Philip's and from some of the early members we do know, but probably for reasons of privacy (those early kids didn't sign on to be in the public eye as much as the boys of today), nobody's talking.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Would it be possible to fill in that information from the credits on their earlier albums?
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:18 am">5 years ago</span> Would it be possible to fill in that information from the credits on their earlier albums?
Sadly the early productions only mentioned the soloists (at best)
(see this thread for SPBC and Angel Voices albums credits : http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... gel-voices)
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

I'm not much around anymore so I'm a little bit late with my answer but in the beginning of this forum I posted a list of the members til that time. I've found the post, here it is ;
http://www.forum.libera-dreams.com/view ... =698&hilit
Remember it is an old post so lot of newer members are missing. Also in that time there were a lot more Libera forums around and I've used all the info I could find on other forums / video's / the Libera book / booklets from albums (even the Pavarotti, Elton John, Hannibal albums for example) etc.
So I think this makes the list the most complete list there would be.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

That's the most complete list I've seen. Ian Grimley, by the way, was an adult singer. As he was over six feet tall, he said, Robert Prizeman referred to him as "The Great Grimleno."
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

I'm happy to share all I compiled at the time with you all. As I had little response I thought no one was particularly interested :shock:
I have 160 members names (up until 2016) so there are a quite a few to add from then to be up-to-date.
Up until 2000, it's pretty thin on the ground, but I'm sure that with all the knowledge from the Forum members, we can fill it out a bit further.

I'll tidy up the table a bit, and add it shortly (after I work out the best way to show it!)
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

I've managed to put everything I have on a Google Document, the link to which I'm sharing here :

There are 180 names, with their respective years in Libera, their age when they joined and left (if known).
At the bottom of the Google Page there is another Tab 'NAME SHEET', where you can view all the Members in alphabetical order.
There is also a list of about 8 members at the bottom that I have no idea where they go on the Timeline - maybe you can help?

I won't leave it open to edit (for obvious reasons!) but I'd be happy to insert/modify any of the data should the experts among you agree.
Hopefully it will be a nice clear reference point.
Last edited by Dinedorelle on Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Hi Dinadorelle,

Congratulations on putting together a valuable resource. Here are a few corrections. For the boys listed at the bottom of the chart, Furby's LIBERA PASSION site locates them in time. Also good for correct spellings; scroll down from "current members" posting.

http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... 2019#24512

Incorrect spellings of names: #s 21 (Anthony Maher), 43 and 47 (Joe Platt and Joe Sanders-Wilde; 79 (Ben Philipp); 74 (Jakob de Menezes-Wood and "Jacob Wood" are the same person; 112 (Isaac London); 125 (Alex Gula); 165 (Jack Spicha); 167 (Dominik Clarke); 184 and list below: There is no "Rodrigues Villegas." Carlos Rodrigues added the "Villegas" to his surname while he was with Libera.

Thanks again for your hard work. I'm sure I've missed some. You've got some early members I've never heard of—if only we could put faces to those names...
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:37 am">4 years ago</span> Hi Dinadorelle,

Congratulations on putting together a valuable resource. Here are a few corrections. For the boys listed at the bottom of the chart, Furby's LIBERA PASSION site locates them in time. Also good for correct spellings; scroll down from "current members" posting.

http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... 2019#24512

Incorrect spellings of names: #s 21 (Anthony Maher), 43 and 47 (Joe Platt and Joe Sanders-Wilde; 79 (Ben Philipp); 74 (Jakob de Menezes-Wood and "Jacob Wood" are the same person; 112 (Isaac London); 125 (Alex Gula); 165 (Jack Spicha); 167 (Dominik Clarke); 184 and list below: There is no "Rodrigues Villegas." Carlos Rodrigues added the "Villegas" to his surname while he was with Libera.

Thanks again for your hard work. I'm sure I've missed some. You've got some early members I've never heard of—if only we could put faces to those names...
Thanks for that Amie - all corrections now made.
I'll now go through the Libera Passion page and see whether it offers me anything extra.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

Hello, Dinadorelle,

Nice listing you put there.
Only I have 202 names so I took a quick look at the differences and here are a few more names, mostly from the
St. Philip's boys choir period. Prizeman himself was a choirboy too so I think we can not let him out of the list.
The Gary you listed is Gary Francis and Kit is Kit Weston - both are on the dancing video of the "Libera" mix with Daren Geraghty.

Alex Beston
Quentin Engstrom
Curtis King
Jonathan King -Choirboy of the year 1976
Ciaran McGullagh
Nicholas Phillips
Robert Prizeman
Michael Renton
Stephen Trapp
Jamie Trinder
John Weston
Andrew Winter
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Liberation wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:26 pm">4 years ago</span> Hello, Dinadorelle,

Nice listing you put there.
Only I have 202 names so I took a quick look at the differences and here are a few more names, mostly from the
St. Philip's boys choir period. Prizeman himself was a choirboy too so I think we can not let him out of the list.
The Gary you listed is Gary Francis and Kit is Kit Weston - both are on the dancing video of the "Libera" mix with Daren Geraghty.

Alex Beston
Quentin Engstrom
Curtis King
Jonathan King -Choirboy of the year 1976
Ciaran McGullagh
Nicholas Phillips
Robert Prizeman
Michael Renton
Stephen Trapp
Jamie Trinder
John Weston
Andrew Winter
Wow! Thanks for the update. I've always wondered: who is the boy/young man who appears with Alex Baron, Liam O' Kane, Simon Beston, and (I think) Grant Smith as a lower voice on the "Te Lucis" video with Ben Crawley on descant and Steven Geraghty soloing?

Also, do you have photos, ages, and/or entry/exit dates for any of the names you added that aren't identified on videos? I'm sure Dinedorelle and other historians would appreciate these.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:27 am">4 years ago</span>
Wow! Thanks for the update. I've always wondered: who is the boy/young man who appears with Alex Baron, Liam O' Kane, Simon Beston, and (I think) Grant Smith as a lower voice on the "Te Lucis" video with Ben Crawley on descant and Steven Geraghty soloing?

Also, do you have photos, ages, and/or entry/exit dates for any of the names you added that aren't identified on videos? I'm sure Dinedorelle and other historians would appreciate these.
According to one source that would be Daren Geraghty. He looks like an older Daren but there's further no telling of Daren
being with Libera / Angel Voices in 2001 which is the year of that video.

On the names I added, I can only tel that Jamie Trinder is a member since 2013 and Quentin is mentioned as a soloist on Sal Solo's album "Heart and Soul" with the St. Philip's Boys Choir. So no more birthdays dates or entry/exit dates known. And I don't know if I got any foto's of these members somewhere, I have to look for it if I find the time.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Liberation wrote:According to one source that would be Daren Geraghty. He looks like an older Daren but there's further no telling of Daren being with Libera / Angel Voices in 2001 which is the year of that video.
Definitely not Daren. This boy also appears in the 1998 "Jubilate Deo" video.
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.17.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.17.55 PM.png (67.12 KiB) Viewed 19476 times
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.17.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 5.17.55 PM.png (67.12 KiB) Viewed 19476 times
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.32.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.32.34 AM.png (111.98 KiB) Viewed 19405 times
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.32.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.32.34 AM.png (111.98 KiB) Viewed 19405 times
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote correction