Alessandro McKinnon-Botti

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Alessandro McKinnon-Botti

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks to Libera Passion revealed news of this (via twitter@hannahkirstin) and it appears that Alessandro was specially invited to sing the boy solo for 'Danny Elfman's' - Music from the films of Tim Burton for live concert at the Royal Albert Hall last December.

ImageImage

From what I can gather from concerts performed at other venues, the boy sings solo for 'Alice's Theme' from Alice in Wonderland towards the end of the concert. The enthusiastic audience gives standing ovations & loud cheers.
Rounded off with a centre-stage performance of Alice in Wonderland by a young soprano, it’s clear that Elfman has earned his place in the hearts of many as one of the greatest film score composers of the age. Simply mesmerising.
http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2014/12/13 ... bert-hall/
...I had been enjoying the fabulous solo singing of Alessandro MacKinnon of “Libera” fame
http://www.renegade-revolution.com/meeting-idol/

unfortunately cannot find any recording of Alessandro's actual performance but it like the one sung by this boy shown at 23:43
[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

...all in all congratulations to Alessandro for being involved in this exclusive concert.

some more pictures here

Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Re: Alessandro McKinnon-Botti

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

That's quite a vocal range!
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I talked to Alessandro about this while on tour. He said he auditioned for the part and was chosen on that basis.
Wish we had known about it at the time, it might have allowed someone from the UK to attend and comment.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Libera Passion (Furby) found a clip on YouTube:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm very glad that Alexander got this opportunity.

I know this is off topic, but I find it really weird that people pay money to see a concert consisting of a series of movie themes even though I believe that those same movies are the only thing that keeps classical music from oblivion.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks Yorkie - I'd like to know how long Furby spent finding that one! I mean 'mah03943'?? nothing remotely tagged in relation to the content. Great find though, and even though the sound quality is never ideal from a mobile device recording, Alessandro clearly reaches the top notes with ease.
TullyBascombe wrote:I'm very glad that Alexander got this opportunity.

I know this is off topic, but I find it really weird that people pay money to see a concert consisting of a series of movie themes even though I believe that those same movies are the only thing that keeps classical music from oblivion.
I'd find watching the large screen and the orchestra/singers at the same time a little distracting, but these type of live events are becoming increasingly popular. The Royal Albert Hall mentioned the standing ovation was one of the longest received at the hall. Some of those ticket buyers may have never watched a classical concert before and only become familiar with it through the movie's they have watched, or the video games they have played.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Thanks Yorkie - I'd like to know how long Furby spent finding that one! I mean 'mah03943'?? nothing remotely tagged in relation to the content. Great find though, and even though the sound quality is never ideal from a mobile device recording, Alessandro clearly reaches the top notes with ease.
I'm curious as well, that's crazy! I am impressed though, that even with the not-so-ideal sound quality this still sounds pretty good. Alessandro was very good at the Chicago concert, despite having a cold or allergies or something, and hearing this makes me even happier for him! What a talented boy! (They're all talented, but you know, some get different opportunities...anyway).
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Good for him. He's a very talented young man. Thank you Jimmy Riddle, Yorkie, and Furby for this information and video :D
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

I edited the link but the video is originally part of a RAH concert playlist, with videos (same exotic names) covering the full concert.

This one also comes up - audio only, you can skip to 01:38:35 - Alessandro's voice stands out quite well against the orchestra :)
(2013 show)
Last edited by The Furby on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

The Furby wrote:I edited the link but the video is originally part of a RAH concert playlist, with videos (same exotic names) covering the full concert.

This one also comes up - audio only, you can skip to 01:38:35 - Alessandro's voice stands out quite well against the orchestra :)
Hi Furby - this was actually the debut series of UK concerts staged in October 2013 - the 'Alice' solo was sung by a boy called Harry Jackson who was a chorister (still may be) at St Paul's School at the time. The second concert at RAH was Dec 2014 which featured Alessandro.

Edit: Thanks to that playlist you found, it appears Alessandro also joins the Maida Vale Singers at the back on a few numbers - in the opening video he solo's for the first 2 minutes....

Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Woops! You're right, I didn't know they had another show at the same venue the year before. This soloist is pretty good too. Thanks!
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

I stumbled upon this today while looking for things to do around my area (Milwaukee):

<Poster removed>

I hope anybody who lives in one of these areas will take the opportunity as well!
Last edited by paul on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post details of concerts, the boys may be attending outside of Libera. Thanks
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

henrylonghorn wrote:I hope anybody who lives in one of these areas will take the opportunity as well!
Oh I wish I'd seen this sooner! Milwaukee is around 5 hours away, but for a chance like this it'd be worth it. Unfortunately I'd have to beg my sister to drive, and I doubt she'd want to (I don't have a car), especially after we drove to St. Charles for the Libera concert in April. We'll see though! She does enjoy getting out of town every so often... Wish me luck!
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Nice find! Have fun if you go, guys. They are clearly very good. In fact Steven Wilson, a very talented rock musician, used the choir in 3 tracks on his latest album Hand Cannot Erase. In particular, the soloist is Leo Blair the former PM's son.

Although I am no expert, it is my understanding that the choir is a rather prestigious one indeed. The fact that several of the Libera choristers are there is a testament to their skill and talent.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Surpinto wrote:They are clearly very good. In fact Steven Wilson, a very talented rock musician, used the choir in 3 tracks on his latest album Hand Cannot Erase. In particular, the soloist is Leo Blair the former PM's son.
Are you kidding me?! :o I'm a huge SW fan and I've been listening to this album in a loop over the last couple of months. I had absolutely no idea it was the schola cantorum performing these great choir parts - I should have checked the credits ! Thanks for the revelation Surpinto, I'm going to listen to it again with a new ear :D