Eoghan McCarthy

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Karppoo

Eoghan McCarthy

Post by Karppoo »

Hey,

I just watched film By Finnish Metal band Nightwish called Imaginaerum. In the final text there is musician called Eoghan McCarthy. Is it the same person that in Libera?
http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/cred ... hy/9778181
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Eoghan McCarthy

Post by Yorkie »

Anything is possible but I think maybe not because if you look at the credits for the 2011 album the Eoghan Mcarthy listed is a musician and not a vocalist. Of course it is perfectly possible that Eoghan plays an instrument and is part of a youth orchestra that was featured on the album.....more research needed karppoo
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I searched around, there's no one named Eoghan McCarthy in the Finnish Metal Band "Nightwish". There was an actor named Francis X. McCarthy in the movie "Nightwish".
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote:I searched around, there's no one named Eoghan McCarthy in the Finnish Metal Band "Nightwish". There was an actor named Francis X. McCarthy in the movie "Nightwish".
I don't think it was suggested that he was a band member but if you check on the credits for the album and Eoghan McCarthy is credited as a musician who played on the album. A huge number of people are credited as vocalists, musicians and choir members who provided backing to the recording.

Mercy & Love
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

It looks like you are correct, Karppoo.

Here is a blog I found with a picture of the Young Musicians London.

http://musiccredo.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/nightwish-2/

That could be Eoghan in orange at the far right.

chris17

Post by chris17 »

That does look like sort of like him. And I thought Eoghan said in an interview somewhere that he did play an instrument or two, but I can't remember where I heard that.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Looks sort of like him? I think that is a nailed on certainty! I wonder if he was mis-credited as a musician and was in fact part of the children's choir because one of the videos on the blog shows him as part of the choir (I think it's him anyway).

Good find Tom and Karppoo

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yes that's him. The movie is about an old man in a coma, he has a surreal dream about his childhood. It makes sense that there would be a children's chorus, but the excerpts I listened to on YouTube didn't include any of the children's contributions.
Karppoo

Post by Karppoo »

Thank you for your research about this matter. I just looked from Eoghan's Twitter page that he likes singing, playing piano and violin. Perhaps he played violin in this movie. You must see the movie!
mawi

Post by mawi »

I got the album "Imaginaerum" at Christmas 2011 and heard it the next day. It is possibly the best album i've ever heard. I noticed a children-choir in the second song (and later in other songs too), wondered about it and looked into the booklet expected to find a choir from Finland.

At first i noticed the studio where it was recorded, Angel Studios London. An then I found the two Choirs "The Metro Voices" (not the first time) and "The Young Musicians London". I was surprised to find all the names of the members of the choirs and I was much more surprised to find the name "Eoghan McCarthy". At least i found in the web an article about the recordings and the photo posted here. The Young Musicians London is the Children Choir you can hear, they are not playing instruments.

In fact, it must actually be the same Eoghan McCarthy we now knew from Libera. The recordings of the album are dated at 14.02.-20.02.2011. One month later Eoghan had his first concert with Libera in Epsom.

Here is an article from Nightwish. https://www.facebook.com/notes/nightwis ... 9778896366 They were really proud of the choir.

And yes, you have to see the film. It is an very interesting film, a little bit different to other films. I watched the film in the cinema (the was only one showing (is this the right word)) and it was full with Nightwish-fans. And something happened I will never forget. From the beginning of the film to it's end, it was absolutely quiet in the cinema. No speaking, no whispering, no rustle, nothing. No one left the cinema when the film ended and even while the final credits were running, it was absolutely quiet.
SnowyOwl

Post by SnowyOwl »

Nightwish happens to be my favourite band, so I was very surprised and pleased when I noticed the name "Eoghan McCarthy" in the credits of the film Imaginaerum at one of the showings in the cinema mentioned above. In the booklet of the album Eoghan is credited as member of The Young Musicians London, which is the children's choir. The choir can be heard in the songs Storytime, Ghost River, Scaretale and Rest Calm.

You can see Eoghan (wearing an orange shirt) in these pictures (taken from the Nightwish Gallery):

There is also a video from the recordings: (The children start at 1:17, the part they sing is from Storytime).

Like other people said before, the film is something different. I like it very much and I discover new things and new ways to think about it every time I watch it. Plus, Nightwish music is the most beautiful I know. If you are not into metal music, you might listen to Imaginaerum-The Score, which is the album songs transformed into film music. Or to the track "Imaginaerum" from the album, which is an instrumental summary of all songs.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Was the movie entitled "The Imaginareum of Dr. Parnassus"?
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

That's a different film Tully.

This one is just called Imaginaerum.
More info on the film itself at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959409/