Thomas Delgado-Little

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Thomas Delgado-Little

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:
Tom appears in the first act only and is on stage for about 10-15 minutes and has about 15-20 lines.
He reappeared front and centre for the curtain calls.
That's a lot of hanging about I guess but you've got to take your curtain call to bask in the glory of your performance :D

Well done Tom (and you John for enduring it!).
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Always nice to hear the boys are succeeding when they get new opportunity's .
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

The aforementioned curtain call (from Covent Garden) - courtesy of Opera Creep - flickr

My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

...another operatic undertaking, this time performing the role of Miles in Benjamin Britten's "The Turn of the Screw" at this year's Glyndebourne Tour...

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Starts next Saturday 18th...

http://glyndebourne.com/production/turn-screw-0

We wish him and all the cast the best of luck. (the video was shown on BBC South East and featured Louise Moseley who is playing 'Flora') Stefan Leadbeater performed the same role in Vienna back in 2011.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Thanks Jimmy, but the video won't play - "this video is private".
Never mind, I have tickets for next Saturday.
I expect Tom will be excellent as "Miles".
Hope they spell his name correctly in the official programme.

John
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Sorry, my fault - I have now made it viewable....

Glad you got tickets John, I'm sure it will be a special night.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I can see the video now, I can't make his voice out because they're all singing at the same time. It sounds modern.

Let's hope his career continues to grow.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:...another operatic undertaking, this time performing the role of Miles in Benjamin Britten's "The Turn of the Screw" at this year's Glyndebourne Tour...

Starts next Saturday 18th...

http://glyndebourne.com/production/turn-screw-0

We wish him and all the cast the best of luck. (the video was shown on BBC South East and featured Louise Moseley who is playing 'Flora') Stefan Leadbeater performed the same role in Vienna back in 2011.
Thanks Jimmy - I did wonder when you would pick up on this, the info was out there since March!!! You're slacking on the job man :lol:

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:Thanks Jimmy - I did wonder when you would pick up on this, the info was out there since March!!! You're slacking on the job man :lol:
I've known since March too, just been waiting for an alternative source to present itself...
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Thanks Jimmy - I did wonder when you would pick up on this, the info was out there since March!!! You're slacking on the job man :lol:
I've known since March too, just been waiting for an alternative source to present itself...
Lol, me too!

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well, assuming there aren't alternative boys in the role of Miles, today Tom should be making his début in 'Turn of the Screw'. I'm not sure if 'break a leg' is applicable to opera, maybe in this case it should be 'may your towel never slip', but all the best Tom and hope you have a great time. I'm looking forward to reading the rave reviews.

Some videos from the last production of the opera a few years ago where Miles was played by a different Tom, but still interesting. I would think the set and script will be identical for this performance.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

It was a privilege to witness Tom's superb performance in front of a full house at Glyndebourne this evening. For those who are not familiar with it, Glyndebourne is one of the most prestigious opera houses in Europe, if not the world. The rural setting is idyllic.
Britten's "Turn of the Screw" based on the novella of the same name by Henry James is a dark and mysterious work full of menace and ambiguity. The character of Miles is particularly complex. Is he the sweet innocent that his angelic physical appearance would make us want to believe or is he worldly and cunning, corrupted by the evil influence of Peter Quint? Tom portrayed both sides of his character brilliantly and kept us guessing to the last. As expected, his vocal performance could not be faulted, confidently delivering musically complicated libretto with great clarity and precision.
Well done Tom. Bravo!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks for the update John. Only review I've been able to find was HERE

If anybody is interested the whole of the 2011 production is available to watch on YouTube. Of course it doesn't feature our Tom but you can see the staging and just what is involved (I think John can confirm if the two productions are pretty much identical).

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:Thanks for the update John. Only review I've been able to find was HERE
Ditto, thanks John.... I've found some other reviews -

To start with a first night gallery as been officially updated by Glyndebourne themselves here at ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 398&type=1

Reviews;
(as mentioned by Yorkie) Whats On Stage by Mark Valencia
Treble Thomas Delgado-Little, who made such an outstanding impression in ETO's King Priam, has signed up for another UK tour – this time as Miles. He is again excellent, if perhaps a little young for the role vocally, and has been expertly directed for this revival by Francesca Gilpin.
Brian Dickie
The performance was full of jewels from the striking singing of the prologue (and Quint) by Anthony Gregory, the really accomplished Flora and Miles of Louise Moseley and Thomas Delgado-Little, and the exceptionally well sung, strongly characterised and sympathetic Mrs Grose of Anne Mason. And this is not to mention the fine Governess of Natalya Romaniw and Miss Jessel of Miranda Keys. The Glyndebourne tour casting department has done the work proud.
The Argus
Given that the story so fails the children, it seems only fair to praise the performances of the two that play them.

Louise Moseley is a wonderfully feisty Flora and Thomas Delgardo-Little hinges deftly between assailable innocence and unsettling precociousness. As it should, the show stops for a moment as he sings Malo, for this is the opera’s glassy little heart, and it is breaking.
Sussex Express
The children, Louise Moseley who plays Flora and Thomas Delgado-Little who plays Miles, sing confidently and have beautiful voices.

The bone chilling song ‘Malo’ which runs through the opera, matches Thomas Delgado-Little’s voice perfectly. His haunting tone sends a chill down your spine.

It appears to be been very favourably received by critics and audience members alike...some twitter comments;

Well done to Tom and the whole cast ....Tomorrow night and Friday completes the tour at Glyndebourne but then the production tours other venues around UK into November... http://glyndebourne.com/production/turn-screw-0

Hope it makes DVD at some point.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I'm really pleased that Thomas is doing great outside of Libera. I was almost tempted to book tickets in Canterbury, but in all honesty, I don't think I could sit through several hours of warbling women. But I'm sure its a great story and I wouldn't mind seeing a less operatic and more theatrical version.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato