Stefan in "Turn of the Screw"

Post by john45 »

Any of you Europeans going to Vienna?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Stefan in "Turn of the Screw"

Post by Yorkie »

Opera?

Stefan is a great kid, fantastic singer and all that + I've always wanted to visit Vienna but............? I think I'd rather stay at home and push nails in to my eyeballs.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I agree with Yorkie,

Stefan is a great kid, but opera :shock: I would rather stay at home and peel of my finger nails with pliers.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Oh you guys don't know what you're missing! I have only seen a handful of operas in my lifetime (yet) but Britten's Turn of the Screw is one of the most amazing operas I have ever seen. Spellbinding and gorgeous and gripping from the first moment. I saw it in the DVD version of a BBC production starring Nicholas Kirby Johnson as the treble lead role: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I knew Stefan was doing something with an opera in Vienna but somehow I missed *which* opera he was involved in. OMG (yes I just wrote OMG)... I so wish I could go now!! That is one brilliant role to sing... I have just gotten more proud of Stefan in mere seconds (the joy you can get for missing a detail and finding out about it much later :lol: )
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Hi John, I'm going :)

I have booked my tickets in June when they become available.
Everything is set for me, including low cost plane and hotel.

I will go at both shows of the 17 and 19 septembre, in the hope to have Stefan at least once :)

My stay in Vienna is from 17/09 morning to 20/09 evening.
These 4 days toursim in vienna should be interesting :)

I tried to go to see also the Wiener Sängerknaben, but for the mass on sunday 18/09 all seats on the top floor of the Imperial chapel having a view on the choir were already sold. They produce also in the afternoon for the cloture of a Haydn festival, but it's not in Vienna and tickets are too expensive. So I gave up for that, I'm not passionate enough, I prefer to do pure tourism ;)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

To give you all some idea of what Stefan will be singing, this is one of the principal arias of his character Miles, sung here by Louis-Alexander Désiré:

[youtube][/youtube]

The opera is based on the famous Victorian ghost novella by Henry James. Synopsis of the story: here.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:To give you all some idea of what Stefan will be singing, this is one of the principal arias of his character Miles, sung here by Louis-Alexander Désiré:

The opera is based on the famous Victorian ghost novella by Henry James. Synopsis of the story: here.
Thank you Maartendas for posting that. I was beginning to have second thoughts and to doubt I'd made the right decision on not going to see it. Six seconds in to that clip and all my doubts had gone. I need to trust myself more; obviously I was right. How could it be otherwise?
Last edited by Yorkie on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

fan_de_LoK wrote:Hi John, I'm going :)

Hi Patrick

That's great.

I have tickets for the 19th and the 21st so between the two of us we should get to see Stefan at least once.

Yorkie and Paul, Maarten is right. I used to feel the same way as you do about opera until the 1990 World Cup.
Pavarotti's Nessum Dorma persuaded me to give it a try and I've been hooked ever since.

John

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote:To give you all some idea of what Stefan will be singing, this is one of the principal arias of his character Miles, sung here by Louis-Alexander Désiré:

Thank you Maartendas for posting that. I was beginning to have second thoughts and to doubt I'd made the right decision on not going to see it. Six seconds in to that clip and I all my doubts had gone. I need to trust myself more; obviously I was right. How could it be otherwise?
Aww, Yorkie. I see you haven't changed. Thank you for that! :lol:
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yes Yorkie, I love your style as always :) (I do!) But I can't believe you don't like that clip. I think this calls for a good pint together to talk this through :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Yes Yorkie, I love your style as always :) (I do!) But I can't believe you don't like that clip. I think this calls for a good pint together to talk this through :lol:
I assure you "don't like it" would be a gross understatement. It sums up why I can't like opera. Oh sure, some little bits are great (yes I like Nessun Dorma, O Fortuna and a bit of Semele) but on the whole it doesn't float my boat. If I wanted to see ugly, fat people warbling away in an ridiculously dramatic way I'd just sing to myself in the mirror :D

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote:Yes Yorkie, I love your style as always :) (I do!) But I can't believe you don't like that clip. I think this calls for a good pint together to talk this through :lol:
I assure you "don't like it" would be a gross understatement. It sums up why I can't like opera. Oh sure, some little bits are great (yes I like Nessun Dorma, O Fortuna and a bit of Semele) but on the whole it doesn't float my boat. If I wanted to see ugly, fat people warbling away in an ridiculously dramatic way I'd just sing to myself in the mirror :D
Well now, I'm sure Stefan does not qualify as ugly and fat :lol: I know what you mean but I think the charm of more modern operas these days (like The Turn of the Screw) is that they are very different from the 'stereotype opera'. I have a hard time sitting through one of those, but this one gripped me from the word go. So, it's not all warbling in a ridiculously dramatic way anymore these days :)

Anyway, john, Patrick, I look forward to your reviews and also to hear about any professional reviews of this performance, and what the critics will make of our star from Norbury :D
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

In all honesty, banging my head against a brick wall is more pleasurable than that.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:
I'm sure I could do a nice rendition of electricity for you (I know all the words as well) :lol:

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

paul30003 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
I'm sure I could do a nice rendition of electricity for you (I know all the words as well) :lol:

But you've only just learned to pirouette.

Mercy & Love