New album is called Hope

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: New album is called Hope

Post by TullyBascombe »

john45 wrote: <span title="Thu May 11, 2017 12:28 pm">6 years ago</span>
TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu May 11, 2017 4:07 am">6 years ago</span> Has anyone received the CD with bonus DVD yet? Was the DVD indeed region free?
The DVD is region free. All it contains is videos of "Smile" and "Salve Regina".
OK, I'm reordering. I wish they would post the correct information on the website.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

If any of you are desperate to hear some samples of the new tracks, I got a link to a Japanese site featuring 45 second samples. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hmvjapan/7678616/
I thought the Stabat Mater and Angele Dei samples were pretty awesome. Part of the Stabat Mater solo line seems to allude to the solo line of Sancta in the Libera album.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri May 12, 2017 7:53 am">6 years ago</span> If any of you are desperate to hear some samples of the new tracks, I got a link to a Japanese site featuring 45 second samples. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hmvjapan/7678616/
I thought the Stabat Mater and Angele Dei samples were pretty awesome. Part of the Stabat Mater solo line seems to allude to the solo line of Sancta in the Libera album.
Now I see that the CD Japan site has samples as well.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

gingerthedog1 wrote: <span title="Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 pm">6 years ago</span> In Three Ravens, who sings the high parts towards the end? Is it Gregor?
We would have to guess but Alessandro & Alex M also have a credit on the song so I would lean towards one of those two myself.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I noticed on Youtube that user Martin Mayhew decided to post a video of the entire Venite Adoremus song from the new album. I know this type of activity has been discussed in the past on this forum, but I don't think it should be posted so soon on Youtube.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Fri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm">6 years ago</span> The discussion about the mysterious mini boy is somehow voluminous and should be split to a dedicated subject, in order to avoid cluttering the discussion on the 'Hope' CD with such an off-topic
But only a minor percentage with regard to 18 pages, isn't it? :P :lol:

I never mind, if a thread sometimes develops a little off-topic temporarily. It's all living. However, I've seen that John has already installed a new thread, so I won't argue any longer. :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri May 12, 2017 5:32 pm">6 years ago</span> I noticed on Youtube that user Martin Mayhew decided to post a video of the entire Venite Adoremus song from the new album. I know this type of activity has been discussed in the past on this forum, but I don't think it should be posted so soon on Youtube.

It is a bit too soon but I never see the big deal. The hardcore fans will buy the cd regardless let's be honest.

So if somebody new hears the song and buys the album that can only help the group.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

dani wrote: <span title="Fri May 12, 2017 6:21 pm">6 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri May 12, 2017 5:32 pm">6 years ago</span> I noticed on Youtube that user Martin Mayhew decided to post a video of the entire Venite Adoremus song from the new album. I know this type of activity has been discussed in the past on this forum, but I don't think it should be posted so soon on Youtube.

It is a bit too soon but I never see the big deal. The hardcore fans will buy the cd regardless let's be honest.

So if somebody new hears the song and buys the album that can only help the group.
Checking the page again, I see that he has links for purchasing their music. I suppose he's trying to promote their albums with a song that has a more uniquely Libera-esque sound than Smile or Salve Regina.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

As well as the Japan sites mentioned above sample music can be heard on Amazon UK (I've not checked other amazon sites). You can also pre-order the album by digital download for a slightly cheaper price of £7.99 alternatively you can buy the physical CD for £11.41 It soared to No2 in Hot New releases (classical) and still sits in the top 5.

I've not checked iTunes (refuse to install it's software) but I guess it should show up there soon.

Nice early review Yorkie - I'm with you on Benedictus Deus... that's one special song. It will probably end up being my favourite of the album.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
TygrHawk

Review of "Hope"

Post by TygrHawk »

Since I seem to have been one of the first to receive a copy, one of our family of fans asked for my opinion of the album. It is admittedly biased in favor of Libera lol, but in any case, here it is:

Salve Regina:

Classic Prizeman. You think you know where it's going but it doesn't and yet it's perfect. Nice lower
melodies with descants in the middle. Rocco's final "Maria" couldn't sound more perfect.

San Damiano:

This is one I've never listened to before. Again it seems Robert has found a way to arrange a somewhat
unlikely song choice into something beautiful. Love that they aren't afraid to use a rhythm section.

Smile:

Again, what may seem like an odd choice for this group is given the Prizeman treatment. Gabe's solo at
the beginning is pleasantly surprising. Again he goes to the lower voices during the middle with some
treble descants. Alessandro seems to be gaining more confidence lately. A gentle voice, but filled with
emotion.

Stabat Mater:

Don't know when then was recorded, but it certainly doesn't sound like Isaac has lost any range. Can't
say it's a great song, but adequate to showcase the group.

Dreaming of Home:

Seems that there is an effort to do more popular style songs and familiar songs. Of course with Robert
arranging it becomes unique. Beautiful solo by Camden.

Angel:

You probably all know this was an instant favorite of mine when it was released. The classic Prizeman
composition, which is to say it takes unexpected turns. Isaac is just perfect, and I love the harmonies
of the other two boys (Ciaran & Sam?) that come in just before the verse turns to latin; "You'll be a
friend to me". Then a Latin section (the chorus?), then back to the solo. Then a lone bridge, again in
Latin. Then a slight pause - 2 beats - before Isaac continues to the 2nd verse. Same harmonies lead
him into the chorus. This time the 2nd part of the chorus takes a the previous lower harmony and makes
it a descant, finishing with a sus4 resolving to the 3rd. Sorry to be so long-winded, but there is so
much to love about this one.

From a Distance:

Another turn in the direction of pop, and again arranged with the harmonies you might expect from
Robert. Alex M. begins the song with a strong yet gentle solo, and it builds from there. Final chorus
rich with harmonies, then gradually back to just the soloist, then a few other voices to close it out.

Angele Dei:

This is a magnificent song. Alex M. continues to be a pleasant surprise with every solo. Not sure what
else to say, except this is a gem.

Benedictus Deus:

Wonderfully intricate arrangement. Again, not sure when this was recorded, but Tom DL seems to be in
fine voice here.

The Three Ravens:

Powerful song with 3 strong soloists: Gregor, Alessandro, & Alex M. The music almost turns scary at a
few points. That must be Alex M. on the highest notes near the end lol.

Hymn to Mary:

This is another beautiful song and arrangement. What can I say about Isaac. In a way I compare him to Ed Day. They both have been able to sing just about anything, and do it perfectly. Isaac's voice sounds a bit lower here. Would love to hear this
group do "Time" with Isaac singing the verses, and one of the stronger young voices (Merlin, perhaps?)
doing the chorus.

Venite Adoramus:

This seems like a masterful arrangement. It is somewhat repetitive, but Robert keeps the harmonies and
descants frequent and interesting enough to easily make up for that. Gorgeous solo by Merlin, keep an
eye on this one.

Home:

Another song I've fallen in love with. First chance I've really had to hear Ciaran do a solo, and...
well why doesn't he do more?! lol Another beautifully written song, which to me is the most important
thing. Mr. Muramatsu is a master at writing melodies for this group, and collaborates so well with
Robert, that it just cannot fail. Another song that takes hardship and turns it into something hopeful,
like many Libera songs.

Jupiter:

(Taken from Gustav Holst's "The Planets" & aka "I Vow to Thee My Country")
Isaac starts the song beautifully on his own, then the other voices blend in and supply the harmonies.
Holst was another genius, and using his composition as a starting point cannot go wrong, as when
Robert has started with some Beethoven or Pachelbel, and turned it into more than what it was. He does the
same here.
TygrHawk

Post by TygrHawk »

Postcard_Hope.jpg
Postcard_Hope.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 1374 times
Postcard_Hope.jpg
Postcard_Hope.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 1374 times
I got a postcard with mine, I believe it's the one on the lower-right of your picture. Not sure about the coupon - there was something on the outside edge, but I cant read the Japanese lol
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:45 pm">6 years ago</span> For the happy few that already received their preciousssss from Japan, do you had a post-card with the CD ?

The early buyers were supposed to have a post-card as bonus gift, as well as a coupon to be used for the Meet & Greet at the Tsutaya Shiboya shop in Tokyo, but I wonder if these gifts are sent abroad, or are removed during the shipment process... :|

So far I saw on Instagram three different post-cards, surely depending from the site that what used for the order.
- From liber.a_w : image
- From dearlibera : image

Do you had any of these ?
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I've always been a "numbers" guy, and I figured out that this album has the longest average runtime per track of any Libera album. The average length is approximately 4 minutes, 25 seconds (rounded to the nearest second). The previous record holder was their Luminosa album, which has an average length of approximately 4 minutes, 22 seconds.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Audio samples are now also available at Amazon UK. :)

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks for your review Tygrhawk and welcome to the forum, it's always nice to get other peoples views and and opinions on songs and concerts.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun May 14, 2017 4:34 pm">6 years ago</span> Thanks for your review Tygrhawk and welcome to the forum, it's always nice to get other peoples views and and opinions on songs and concerts.
I second this. Thanks Tygrhawk, nice review!

Unlike Yorkie, however, I am not welcoming you to the forum, but welcoming you back to the forum :wink: .

You've been registered here since 2012 and have only made 3 posts?! Come on now, you can do so much better. :D :wink: