New album is called Hope

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: New album is called Hope

Post by fan_de_LoK »

dani wrote:
john45 wrote:Nat King Cole? Bette Midler? Looks like JR is back.
Funny you say that as I did think that , I can remember how he said he had a theme he was building towards and everything would link up.

I do not "pop" Libera.

Thankfully, at least the 'Salve Regina' is the latin medieval version, and not the 'Sister Act' version !! :lol:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Salve Regina and Stabat Mater are common lyrics; so maybe Robert composed something new or used some existing music to form new compositions out of these two texts, as he did with Voca Me.

Yes, I keep and keep hoping for as many songs written by him as possible, I still like them best!
:D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Wow, I've been quite busy recently and now there is suddenly all this exciting news :D

Stabat Mater could also be a re-recording of the song Stabat from their debut album.

P.S.: I am very happy with the title :D Hope is what the world needs right now.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
niels

Post by niels »

the releas date, is the japan or euro? i am so glad there come a new cd :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

niels wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:26 pm">7 years ago</span> the releas date, is the japan or euro? i am so glad there come a new cd :D
Japan at the moment but websites will ship here as well.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Robolib7 wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51 pm">7 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 am">7 years ago</span>
Just googled From a Distance and I have to admit I'm becoming alarmed at some of these song choices. If it's the Bette Midler Song I don't know how they can turn this into a Libera song?
Must disagree with this. I hope it is the Bette Midler song.
God is watching us from a distance.
It's a great song and I think Libera will do a beautiful arrangement of it! I wonder who is singing the solo parts.
This arrangement of "From a Distance" sounds a little more plausible, if you speed it up a few bpm, and subtract the female "pop" singer. I'm thinking of the harmonies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApr0Vf_UwA
dani wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:33 pm">7 years ago</span>
john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm">7 years ago</span> Nat King Cole? Bette Midler? Looks like JR is back.
Funny you say that as I did think that , I can remember how he said he had a theme he was building towards and everything would link up.

I do not want "pop" Libera.
Neither do I want Libera to go "Pop". I mean, a little is nice but.... >shrugs< Lets put it this way; to keep a "Pop Libera" PG, all the songs must have unobjectionable lyrics. No vulgarity, nudity, drugs, etc, which is at it should be. But the list of modern songs both "clean" and with depth of lyric and sentiment seems to be rather short. JR already seems to have a strong leaning towards the more saccharine. Whereas the material more ancient in origin or inspiration--such as Recordare, Vespera, or Three Black Birds-- is sprinkled with fear, unrequited love, and prayers for mercy, even as it speaks of new life, perfect love, and peace. The darker themes are what make Libera's music accessible for all ages. Remove every trace of that darkness, edit out anything unpleasant, and you no longer need the tonic. Why sing of a Wonderful World when you never admitted to having a less than perfect one in the first place?

>steps off soap box<
Not to mention that 'Smile' by Nat King Cole is basically promoting emotional dishonesty. "Hide every trace of sadness," really? That's actually not healthy.
Now I'm done.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Of the tracks presented, two have already been released, and a third, San Damiano, was recorded when they were still singing as The St. Phillips Boys Choir before reinventing themselves as Libera. If Fan de Lok and others are correct, and most of the new tracks that were not previously recorded are re-arrangements from other artists, then this album may not differ from previous studio albums that seemed to contain significantly more original music. On "Peace" 5 of the 14 tracks were original compositions by Prizeman or others associated with Libera. If 2 of 7 tracks on this new album are originals (assuming that the two Latin titled tracks are indeed originals; which is unknown at this time), then the ratio has not changed. It should be noted that some of Libera's best and favorite pieces are arrangements done by Prizeman (and associates) of music composed by others; so I am by no means suggesting that arrangements of existing pieces for Libera are somehow inferior to originals.

However, and without presuming to speak for everyone, I think it is fair to say that since there has not been a totally original song on any album since "Peace" (please correct me if I am wrong on this), we as fans have been wanting for the amazing original compositions and more classic arrangements for which Libera distinguished itself early on. This wish can be seen in the comments elsewhere in this discussion. I subscribe to this wish myself, but I recognize that as a serious fan of the group my personal preferences may not be those that would sell high volumes of CDs and tickets. In order to remain viable, there has to be an appeal for those who are not drawn to the classical music and boy choir genre readily to listen to groups like Libera.

So for us dedicated fans 2 or 3 of the 7 songs are already known and in our possession from previous albums. 2 of the songs are the more "pop" stuff as we have seen from the "Wonderful World" and "Santa" type music that some of us like and some of us do not - I like them. And 2 are unknowns that have the potential to be originals and/or more classical style music. I think that these ratios of new, old, and borrowed music are fairly in line with prior releases. They also seem to be a good mix of music styles that may satisfy a variety of listeners.

The only true disappointment here is that this is mostly another EP; and not a full album with 13+ tracks. My guess is that perhaps Libera has a deal with the Libera Records label to release x amount of music and that these smaller releases meet that obligation in some way.

Obviously I look forward to listening to the album, I am sure it will be fantastic! :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

A beautiful 'Salve Regina' sung by the Winchester College's Quiristers was recently recorded by David Lol Perry.

It can be heard in full on Soundcloud, here :
https://soundcloud.com/david-lol-perry/salve-regina.

It also corresponds to the 1st minute of this video :

More info about David Lol Perry can be read here on the forum.
Thanks to 'j8000' for sharing it :)

I'm looking forward to listen the libera version and compare it. Hopefully it has a large part of solo too :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I can easily see RP turning out versions of "From A Distance" and "Smile" that will become true Libera icons. Look what he did with "Wonderful World" and "Wayward Stranger".
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Not to mention that 'Smile' by Nat King Cole is basically promoting emotional dishonesty. "Hide every trace of sadness," really? That's actually not healthy.
Now I'm done.
That may not be true. Recent psychiatric studies of survivors show that people who "keep a stiff upper lip" after suffering a tragic loss do better in the long run than those who "let it all out".
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

That Salve Regina from Winchester is stunning :)
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:57 am">7 years ago</span> I can easily see RP turning out versions of "From A Distance" and "Smile" that will become true Libera icons. Look what he did with "Wonderful World" and "Wayward Stranger".
Not wishing to be pedantic but it was Sam Coates who arranged "Wayfaring Stranger" and "Wonderful World" and I am not sure that I would classify "Wayfaring Stranger" as "Pop".

I admit to liking some of the previous arrangements of pop songs especially "Love and Mercy" also "Sailing" and even "I Have a Dream".

Despite Isaac's best efforts the "Santa" song was just horrible but I think it is the familiarity of songs like "Smile" and "Distance" as well as the excessive saccharine that will earn my contempt.

If this trend continues, the oft heard claim that their music style is "both ancient and modern" may have to be abandoned. There is stiff competition to become the masters of this style from David Perry and the Winchester Quiristers.

I am hoping that there will be more than the seven/eight tracks we know about. "Nearer my God", "Angele Dei", "Dreaming of Home", and perhaps an extended version of "Total Praise" would restore the balance somewhat.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

It would be gutting if the album isn't 12 or more songs.

Because Angel and Jupiter (I vow to thee my country) are album fillers and can be brought on iTunes all over the world so it's not like the majority of fans don't already have them.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Is it established that there are only 7 songs on the album, or do we only know the names of 7? Will the two videos be included?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 am">7 years ago</span> Is it established that there are only 7 songs on the album, or do we only know the names of 7? Will the two videos be included?
We don't know about how many songs there will be but I'm assuming that we will get Total Praise and Angele Dei as it makes no sense if we do not get them.

The two videos will be on the album as it's a special cd/dvd combo.
Last edited by dani on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.