Libera at Christmas - EP

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

gingerthedog1

Re: Libera at Christmas - EP

Post by gingerthedog1 »

Just to add in my 2 cents...
Gregor's voice, though I have only heard it once, is quite lighter and brighter than Alessandro's, but not quite as bell like as Tom C or TDL. It has a wistful, longing feel to it and has less husk than Alessandro's. The best way to describe it would be a mix of Merlin and Isaac. What makes me wonder though, is that the soloist in Silent Night seems to float his head voice so that it become airy and breathy. I haven't heard either Alessandro or Gregor do this, so there is always a possibility it could be someone else. (But perhaps this may be because I haven't heard studio recordings of either boy)
However, through my previous knowledge of Libera, Alessandro would be the most likely candidate, though Gregor or even another boy we haven't thought of could have soloed. I guess we shall see once the CD comes in.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Gingerthedog, what do you mean by "husk"? I did not know the word, so I looked it up, but I'm not sure if I get the meaning right in this case.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

adjective, huskier, huskiest. 1. big and strong; burly. 2. (of the voice) having a semi whispered vocal tone; somewhat hoarse, as when speaking with a cold or from grief or passion.

Definition 2 would apply. Husky is the adjective, I was using it as a noun so it turned into "husk". It is generally associated with male, gruffer, or rougher voices, but I used it to describe a breathy tone.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

OK, I'm going to throw another name in the mix for the Silent Night soloist - Ciaran. He's had recorded solos before so another wouldn't be a surprise.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

Yes, I do think Ciaran is plausible. In my opinion, more than the any of the other suggestions so far, his high notes match the high notes on the recording.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Ah, alright, thank you for clarifying, gingerthedog1!

I saw them in Schönstatt (first concert in my first year) and remember that I liked Alessandro best, his singing and his acting on the stage. I'm eagerly waiting for London now to hear him again.
And I am very curiously following everybody's discussion about the soloists' who-is-who on this EP. Too "Libera young" to be able to contribute anything to the discussion, but it's very interesting to read all this. :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Well my opinion on who the mystery soloist is
chris17

Post by chris17 »

It doesn't quite sound like Ciaran to me, but I think he's a possibility. My current guess is that it's either Alessandro or someone who doesn't have a recorded solo yet. I'm leaning towards it being someone new, but it's hard to say.
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

After listening to the track again and again, I'm going to play my card as Gregor singing it. It just sounds too different from what Ciaran sounds like. Alessandro and Gregor have similar voices, but I think Gregor's is softer and more suitable for a peaceful song like Silent Night. It is really hard to tell though, and I am pretty uncertain about my guess.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I didn't add my guess!

It's Ciaran to me as Alessandro doesn't have such a strong voice even though that may of changed if his voice has got stronger.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Doesn't sound like Ciaran nor Alessandro to me... Merlin, maybe ?
labbie

Post by labbie »

The last time I heard Libera live was in Boston. I remember Camden's lovely solo turn on 'Lullabye', and the delicate timbre of the voice of the soloist on 'Hymn to Mary' has me thinking that perhaps it is him if he was part of this recording. There was something in the voice that made me think that. Ultimately, I suppose it is anyone's guess.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Alessandro, Gregor, Ciaran, Merlin, Camden....

This topic needs a poll!... all will be revealed soon hopefully, if Libera continues their recent trend to credit soloists.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Alessandro, Gregor, Ciaran, Merlin, Camden....

This topic needs a poll!... all will be revealed soon hopefully, if Libera continues their recent trend to credit soloists.
Don't forget Gabriel whose solo role has been expanding recently.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

john45 wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:Alessandro, Gregor, Ciaran, Merlin, Camden....

Don't forget Gabriel whose solo role has been expanding recently.
The voice's quality sound's a bit like Sam Wiggin, but I have no recordings showing Sam's upper range, and the "t"'s are pronounced differently.