Libera at Christmas - EP

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Libera at Christmas - EP

Post by Surpinto »

A new CD has been announced titled "Libera at Christmas" :D Jimmy Riddle broke the news on Twitter so all credit for the original find goes to him. The CD will be released this Friday, November 11.

This latest album is being released through the independent record label Invisible Hands Music (IHM) which has an advertisement for the CD on its website. At the present, a physical CD appears to only be available from the Invisible Hand online shop, or from Amazon UK. Amazon US only allows one to preorder the digital music, not a physical CD. However, both Amazon UK and IHM will ship to the US, and I presume elsewhere in the world for those who desire a physical CD - shipping costs seem reasonable for both but Amazon is a little cheaper.

It remains to be seen whether those songs which were also featured in last year's EP are all the same recordings or whether they have been redone. The tracks are:
  1. Carol of the Bells
  2. Silent Night
  3. Santa Will Find You
  4. Wexford Carol
  5. Hymn to Mary
The CD is available for purchase at: The music is available for download at: Image

(I should also add that I was clearly wrong when I said that a 2016 album was unlikely :lol: -- this was highly unexpected )
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Re: Libera at Christmas - EP

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Yay! I've never heard "Hymn to Mary", so this is exciting!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Surpinto wrote:It remains to be seen whether those songs which were also featured in last year's EP are all the same recordings or whether they have been redone.
I'm guessing apart from the obvious first time release, the top 4 will mostly like be from last year's mini EP. If they have gone to the trouble of new studio recordings, then I can't think why they would cover the same songs, and not offer something different.
alcesalcesobservator wrote:Yay! I've never heard "Hymn to Mary", so this is exciting!
Most definitely the one I'll be downloading, a first time studio release. Isaac bewitched the audiences when he solo'd this at concerts a few years ago, when he was in his treble prime. I hope they have recorded him on solo, but still wouldn't mind. It's going in the digital shopping trolley!
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I have looked at the Invisiblehands website and their blurb states:

The three-time Classical BRIT nominees and You Tube sensations Libera, deliver a Christmas card to everyone at this joyous time.

This EP single contains five of their favourite Christmas songs, newly recorded and now available on cd plus digital.

The Libera at Christmas EP, features a mixture of secular and sacred repertoire for music lovers seeking peace and respite in the midst of today's chaotic world.

From the traditional Silent Night and the haunting Carol of the Bells to the popular Santa Will Find You song, this EP single is an ideal stocking filler and has the unmistakable atmosphere, which you experience at a Libera concert.

Libera are well known in the UK through appearances on programmes such as the BBC's Last Choir Standing, Songs of Praise and Classic fm. The vocal group have travelled the world and have attracted an enormous enthusiastic fan base in many countries, including the US and Canada, Russia, UK, Japan, Philippines, Taiwan, Singapore and Korea.

Now, newly recorded may not mean brand new I suppose in the spin of the marketing world but there has to be a fair chance that it is. Hopefully it will be Isaac's version of Hymn for Mary but if not it will be a great addition to the catalogue whomever sings it.

#edit# the same blurb appears on Amazon too....
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I wonder how recent they mean, when inferring to 'newly recorded'. Maybe something recorded in the past 12 months would fit under their terms 'newly recorded'? Not sure, just a guess.

Just looking back at last year's festive release of 'The Holiday EP' http://www.santawillfindyou.com/albums.html which mostly supported the release of the 'Santa Will Find You' video. This was exclusive for iTunes and held 4 tracks, the same songs included in this upcoming 'Libera at Christmas EP' are; Santa, COTB & Wexford Carol.... with Angels We Have Heard making way for 'Silent Night' and of course 'Hymn to Mary' making it's debut offering.

Just for me, Isaac has nailed his recording of 'Wexford Carol' with the full Gaelic verses in the bracket 'cannot be bettered'. His Irish heritage authenticated his delivery on this song as well as the impact he made with it at St Patricks in 2013. So I can't see any gain in offering another recording on this....but you never know.

Another version of 'Silent Night'?...mmm...we've had a few over the years....but still not impossible. Will 'Santa' find those who weren't initially keen first time around with a new recording?..

Maybe somebody can do a direct comparison at some point, you might be able to from just the previews. I think I'll only be downloading 'Hymn to Mary' because I have previous incarnations of the other tracks.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I can't fault your logic Jimmy. I guess Hymn & Silent night could be new with Santa, Bells & Wexford being the known versions.

When was Silent last released on a recording? Can't think we have a version with the current line up (famous last words, I should look it up myself)

Mercy & Love
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Yorkie wrote: When was Silent last released on a recording? Can't think we have a version with the current line up (famous last words, I should look it up myself)
It was last released on their Christmas in Ireland recording, with TDL soloing.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:
Yorkie wrote: When was Silent last released on a recording? Can't think we have a version with the current line up (famous last words, I should look it up myself)
It was last released on their Christmas in Ireland recording, with TDL soloing.
So, it has potential to be a new version on this CD I think. I agree with Jimmy that Santa, Wexford and Bells are probably the version we had last year but I'll buy the CD anyway to support them.

Throwing something else in to the mix - does this mean Libera have walked away from a contract with the big studio (Warner iirc) and are now availing themselves of independent labels? It makes sense if they can cover the cost of recording an album which I think was the only financial support they ever got for previous CD's...

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Your right, for some reason I thought 'Silent Night' had been recorded since the 2013 Ireland DVD and put on a mini-album. Actually I find myself surprised it didn't make the 2011 Christmas CD, so I'm probably harking back to it's popularity during 2006-8 when Tom Cully's version made several CD's. It could indeed be a new version...hopefully it will be.

Yes It could be that unless it's something major like a CD/DVD filmed concert etc... (or maybe the impending full track album rumoured early next year) aimed at global distribution... then Libera will partner up with local independent labels. It's a good idea to a) support their local enterprises, b) give them more control and flexibility in how they promote themselves. I still think they will fall back on Warner when they need all the trimmings that come with a major album release.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
chris17

Post by chris17 »

I've just been listening to the samples. To me, the soloist on Hymn to Mary does sound a lot like Isaac, and it sounds like him when he was a little younger (it sounds closer to his voice on Christmas in Ireland than his voice in Libera in America or the last EP, at least to me). I'm sure Silent Night is new as well, and I would love to know who is singing the solo.

I think the other 3 songs are the same recordings. Santa Will Find You sounds the same - the solo makes it pretty obvious. In the sample of Carol of the Bells, there's the same out-of-tune bell around 1:06 in the sample that you can hear at 1:51 in the full song from the last EP. As far as Wexford Carol, there's nothing that makes it obvious, but it sounds pretty much like the other recording.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for sharing those observations, Chris

So it appears that 'Silent' and 'H2M' are the new recordings, this ties in with Libera's facebook posting yesterday...
The latest CD EP featuring 2 new recordings, and 3 songs not previously released internationally.
Yes, I'd also like to know the soloist on 'Silent Night'... we might have to do a bit of guesswork on that one, until the CD inserts are available.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Thanks for sharing those observations, Chris

So it appears that 'Silent' and 'H2M' are the new recordings, this ties in with Libera's facebook posting yesterday...
The latest CD EP featuring 2 new recordings, and 3 songs not previously released internationally.
Yes, I'd also like to know the soloist on 'Silent Night'... we might have to do a bit of guesswork on that one, until the CD inserts are available.
Given the cover art my guess would go to Alessandro.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

chris17 wrote:To me, the soloist on Hymn to Mary does sound a lot like Isaac, and it sounds like him when he was a little younger (it sounds closer to his voice on Christmas in Ireland than his voice in Libera in America or the last EP, at least to me).
I agree, it sounds like Isaac from a couple of years back. It's nice to have this sendoff, it comes across as it sounded when he performed it live in concerts. A peaceful, reflective hymn very fitting for armistice day today in the UK.
Yorkie wrote:Given the cover art my guess would go to Alessandro.
Definitely a possibility although I'm thinking it might be Gregor. I've not heard him live, or recorded yet but he seems to be the next singer being moulded for solo duties.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Given the cover art my guess would go to Alessandro.
Definitely a possibility although I'm thinking it might be Gregor. I've not heard him live, or recorded yet but he seems to be the next singer being moulded for solo duties.
Listening to the track I'm sticking with Alessandro - there is a breathiness to the singing that puts me very much in mind of his style. Of course if it is Gregor I will be very happy too, it's a nice song. I guess we can give a credit to Steven G though, surely that is his recorder playing we hear on the track.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

My review of the album.

Carol of the Bells, Santa Will Find You, and Wexford Carol

Since these are the same recordings as were released on last year's Holiday EP, I posted my reviews of these recordings at that time. However, I seem to never tire of "Wexford Carol"; this recording and song are simply amazing and is one of my all-time Libera favorites. Despite the mixed reviews, I do personally enjoy "Santa Will Find You". COTB is still their most popular song on YouTube with over 4.6 million views :shock: so including it on the album makes perfect sense.

Silent Night

Let me start by comparing this arrangement with those recorded previously. The arrangement with Tom Cully (from the "Angel Voices" album and "Peace" the deluxe edition) has the beginning as a solo part, and then subsequent refrained/repeated lines end on a solo (i.e. "Christ the Saviour is Born" and "Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth"). The live arrangement from "Angels Sing - Christmas in Ireland" has only the refrains, and not the beginning, being solo parts as sung beautifully by Thomas Delgado-Little.

This arrangement has the beginning as a solo (just as in "Angel Voices", Tom Cully version), the next refrain ("Christ the Saviour is Born") is sung by what sounds like, to me, to be two voices, and the last refrain ("Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth") is sung as a solo. I agree with those who earlier wrote that the soloist is likely Alessandro. His voice has a huskier quality, if that be the appropriate term, than either of the Tom's. This changes the sound of this song from what we have all been used to. Also new in this version is an instrumental introduction of the main melody at the beginning. Overall, I would say that it is a good arrangement and well done.

Hymn to Mary

With 3 of the 5 songs ("Santa", "Wexford Carol", and "Hymn to Mary") having a major Isaac solo, I think that he will certainly go down as one of the top soloists in Libera’s history. The entire song is sung by him alone with only the orchestra and piano as accompaniment. It is a very sweet song and done beautifully. The song appears to have been originally written and performed by Beth Nielsen Chapman. After listening to the two versions side-by-side I think, without doubt, that the Libera version is superior. This is not the first time that a song they have borrowed from elsewhere and arranged for themselves exceeded the original. Overall this is an excellent song, very calm and peaceful, and it was a wonderful choice for release.

In summary, this is an excellent album to be given as a holiday gift to someone who is unfamiliar with Libera or has not heard many of these songs before. For those of us who are serious fans of the group and have heard most of these songs before on recordings I believe that the last track alone more than makes up for the re-release of the old stuff. :D