Angels Sing: Libera in America (CD, MP3)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Silver Member

Angels Sing: Libera in America (CD, MP3)

Post by Sue »

I read some of you have the CD already? Or they have heard to the music downloads.
What do you think are the best songs, the best interpretations? Did you notice a soloist in particular?
dani
Diamond Member

Re: Angels Sing: Libera in America (CD, MP3)

Post by dani »

Wayfaring Stranger and The Prayer for me

A shame that Sam's voice has now broken so i am wondering if How Great and Wayfaring will be part of the April set list.

Voca was stunning and Tom always stands out to me with his strong powerful voice.
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

I am a bit surprised to say that my favorite was Wayfaring Stranger as well. I don't know how to describe why I like it so much, but it's almost got a haunting melody and quality to it, and I think the soloist picked for it was perfect! (I'm not as familiar with this group, was it Sam?) I also liked How Great Thou Art, although the first time I listened to it I was thrown off by the ending and almost got a twist in my stomach because of it. I did enjoy Amazing Grace too, and it's not even one of my favorite hymns - I like it, but it's not one of my all time favorites.

I was a bit disappointed with Be Still My Soul and Sanctus, but not because they were bad or anything. I just think that BSMS has been so well done before that it's hard to top, and the harmony line in this one was just a bit different than the other ones so it'll take some time for my ears to get used to it. Sanctus will always be good, but there was something about it this time that (to me anyway) just didn't have the shine that it usually does. Maybe it's just my ears though, don't get mad at me!
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

dani wrote:A shame that Sam's voice has now broken so i am wondering if How Great and Wayfaring will be part of the April set list.

Voca was stunning and Tom always stands out to me with his strong powerful voice.
Aww, Sam's voice has broken? Forgive me, I haven't been able to keep track of this group of boys as well as I would have liked, but if that's true then that's too bad. Also, is the Tom that you're talking about Tom D-L? He did those awesome high parts in Voca Me and people have been raving about him in the same opera that Stefan L was a part of? I do hope that Voca Me makes the set list for the April tour, especially if they have to rearrange the songs that had Sam as soloist on them. I trust Mr. Prizeman though, and I know that whatever he comes up with will be exquisite. :)
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yes , people who go to Sunday services have reported Sam is now in the back row .

and yes Tom D L has a stunning voice . He is up there with the best voices Libera have produced IMO
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I got mine yesterday and have listened about four, five times already :) (and nothing else besides)

My favourites are also Wayfaring stranger and How great thou art. They both have a tension going which is really special. Great job of Sam Coates for making the arrangement for Wayfaring stranger. It's a daring choice and he really made something unique out of it. Promising for the future, once RP hands down the baton as they say - who knows when but it will be one day in the end...

I was also awestruck by Song of Life. Isaac sounds so much like Ralph - I don't mean to say he doesn't bring his own because he totally does - but it's just that he is such a good choice of soloist for that song. Ralph's initial version has always been very dear to me but this one matches the original so well I have a hard time deciding which one is my favourite :)

Voca Me is stunning indeed, I agree. I like how in the booklet it explains the inspiration for it. I never knew the Stabat Mater by Pergolesi and a chant piece by Hildegard von Bingen had anything to do with it. But I can hear why. Intense and religious stuff.

The whole album is actually a joy to my ears, I love hearing the voices and the orchestration - familiar and yet fresh. Those new soloists... wow... The booklet is nicely done as well. I'm just a happy critter :)

Btw did anyone else notice there are 31 boys in the picture on the back, even though only 30 are listed? Maybe it's discussed elsewhere already, in that case I'm sorry, but - it looks to my eyes like Josh is in that picture. Back row, fourth from left. If so, maybe he stepped in for picture rehearsals or something?
Talking of who's who - I just realised that Tiarnan and Sam Leggett are the only two still in the choir who also sang on the Leiden DVD. That's something special to consider... :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Josh came on for two songs so he must be the 31st boy. I dont think we get a close look at him on the dvd tho when he is on stage.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm partial to Morning Has Broken, but then I always have been. I also really liked Song of Life and The Prayer, though I'm used to hearing The Prayer sung alternating between English and Italian. I'd be curious to hear Libera try that some day/.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

A popular Dutch retail website posted my review on their product page of the CD - I also ordered my own copy from them. Hope this helps the boys a bit in the Netherlands :wink:
I kinda like that you can add Youtube videos to your review.

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/angels-sing-lib ... 037757842/

(on the top of the page is the rating and if you scroll down you get to the review - it's in Dutch :))
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above