Libera - Christmas in Ireland

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Lumi
Silver Member

Re: Libera - Christmas in Ireland

Post by Lumi »

It seems like the preview on the iTunes website is only 30 seconds, but when you follow the link to iTunes you get full 90 seconds.

I for one managed to miss this before – I've been keeping an eye on iTunes, but usually with my laptop where I now noticed I had logged out and therefore must have seen the US store this entire time.

Listening to the previews and the four videos so far published, I must say I'm not awfully excited about another Christmas CD (even though it's of course great they publish a DVD). I know I will absolutely love the Christmas concert, also I will probably be too curious not to buy the album if it comes available in two days... But most of the arrangements we've heard so far have been pretty dissappointing in my opinion, and overall the music just seems a bit unexciting.
There, made my confession. :lol:

So, having said that, I absolutely love The Wexford Carol and What Child Is This. I can't wait to hear them in full. The solo in Silent Night is lovely, and it's great to have a live recording of Carol of the Bells.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Yorkie wrote:I assume most people will have picked up on this via Twitter but the French forum have realised that the French iTunes store allows a lengthy preview of each track on the CD:

French iTunes

Not sure if the other iTunes sites have the same feature, I suspect they do. Have a listen and tell us what you like best. You can hear the beautiful harmony between Isaac and Jude on 'What child Is This'.
Thanks for posting that! Maybe I should go on Twitter more often. :)

What Child Is This sounds just beautiful! :) I absolutely can't wait to hear the rest of it! I expected to like it anyway since that's one of my favorites, but The Wexford Carol is also sounding great, and I think I'll like it more when I can hear the whole thing from beginning to end, since I'm not familiar with it.

Of course Carol of the Bells sounds awesome too. I loved it on the last album and it sounds even more dramatic here. :)

Overall, it's all sounding great. I do sort of agree that I wish they'd have more interesting arrangements for a few of the songs - especially Joy to the World, because even though I like that song, I think they could have taken it farther. But I think I'm going to like this album more than their last Christmas album, especially with their assortment of real instruments. :)

Also - if the French iTunes has Exsultate and Once In Royal David's City, I'm really hoping the other iTunes will also, since they don't seem to be on the physical CD. (And I went ahead and followed the links to iTunes to get the longer sample - I never knew you could switch countries, but apparently you can, so I'm running the French iTunes store listening to the longer samples. Surprisingly it actually works. :) )
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

Any ideas on who the various soloists are? I really like the harmony on "Silent Night" and I like the "Wexford Carol" solo as well. Was also impressed by Michael UR's solo on the "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" video.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
chris17

Post by chris17 »

There's a nice blog entry here with a review of the concert, which mentions the soloists. Here's the link: http://mini-angels.blogspot.co.uk/searc ... date=false
(Hopefully that will take you to the right page - just scroll down a little - but if not, it's a few pages into the blog under the title "Armagh Concert and DVD Recording")

I know the Wexford Carol was Isaac and Silent Night was Tom. I think they're all new soloists except Cassius (at least, new as far as albums go...I know you concert-goers have heard them before. lol :wink: ).
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:I assume most people will have picked up on this via Twitter but the French forum have realised that the French iTunes store allows a lengthy preview of each track on the CD:

French iTunes

Not sure if the other iTunes sites have the same feature, I suspect they do. Have a listen and tell us what you like best. You can hear the beautiful harmony between Isaac and Jude on 'What child Is This'.
I've stayed away from installing ITunes - but am I right in thinking that come midnight tonight - the MP3 version of the full album becomes available via AutoRip on Amazon if you purchased the CD copy? Hopefully fingers crossed. I've thrown away any pretext of trying not to listen to it before the Christmas mood sets in....and anyway I'm longing to listen to 'Danny Boy' in full.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Yorkie wrote: I've stayed away from installing ITunes - but am I right in thinking that come midnight tonight - the MP3 version of the full album becomes available via AutoRip on Amazon if you purchased the CD copy? Hopefully fingers crossed. I've thrown away any pretext of trying not to listen to it before the Christmas mood sets in....and anyway I'm longing to listen to 'Danny Boy' in full.
Yes, that's how I understand it Jimmy but iTunes seems to have two additional tracks (Exsultate & Once In Royal David's City) for their MP3 download which Amazon doesn't have (there's is just the 15 tracks from the CD available on Amazon).
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks Yorkie - well I'll stick with Amazon at the moment, and see if the other two songs crop up elsewhere in time.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:

French iTunes

I've stayed away from installing ITunes - but am I right in thinking that come midnight tonight - the MP3 version of the full album becomes available via AutoRip on Amazon if you purchased the CD copy? Hopefully fingers crossed. I've thrown away any pretext of trying not to listen to it before the Christmas mood sets in....and anyway I'm longing to listen to 'Danny Boy' in full.
Wait...how do I get the MP3 version from Amazon? I purchased/preordered a CD copy already.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

plumpuff6 wrote: Wait...how do I get the MP3 version from Amazon? I purchased/preordered a CD copy already.
If you purchase a CD direct from Amazon (as opposed to a third party seller) they offer a free MP3 version of the physical CD - they call it autorip. You need to set up an account on their cloudplayer and then they will automatically add the MP3 copy of the album, which is released 28th October on MP3, a week earlier than the CD will be posted out to you.

Amazon cloudplayer

I have the android app for my phone two which means I can listen to many of my albums without transferring them to my phone and using up storage space,,,,

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Downloading the album from the Finnish iTunes store now. :D
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Looks like there's no option for Americans at the moment - oh well, you guys are just lucky. ;) But I really hope iTunes gets the album up eventually because I'd really like to have the 2 songs that aren't on the CD.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yorkie wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:
Yorkie wrote: I've stayed away from installing ITunes - but am I right in thinking that come midnight tonight - the MP3 version of the full album becomes available via AutoRip on Amazon if you purchased the CD copy? Hopefully fingers crossed. I've thrown away any pretext of trying not to listen to it before the Christmas mood sets in....and anyway I'm longing to listen to 'Danny Boy' in full.
Yes, that's how I understand it Jimmy but iTunes seems to have two additional tracks (Exsultate & Once In Royal David's City) for their MP3 download which Amazon doesn't have (there's is just the 15 tracks from the CD available on Amazon).
Well, it doesn't seemed to have worked like that does it Jimmy? No download on my cloudplayer...

#Edit# Just logged on to my account via my pc and it is there!

Mercy & Love
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Hmm...with the new Amazon.co.uk samples up, I can hear there's a solo at the beginning of Gaudete, and Mini-Angels blog says Matthew J did the high notes but doesn't mention the beginning soloist - is that him as well?

Also, the mp3s of Silent Night and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas seem to be switched.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

i just brought the album :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I just received an e-mail from Spotify saying it's available there now as well.
I won't yet listen though, it's much too early for Christmas music (that's just how I feel).
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above