Libera - Christmas in Ireland

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Libera - Christmas in Ireland

Post by Yorkie »

Our good friend Bullehynka from the French forum has uploaded the pictures from the digital album on to Tumbler...

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

chris17 wrote:Hmm...with the new Amazon.co.uk samples up, I can hear there's a solo at the beginning of Gaudete, and Mini-Angels blog says Matthew J did the high notes but doesn't mention the beginning soloist - is that him as well?

Also, the mp3s of Silent Night and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas seem to be switched.
Well, the actual MP3 album has the same mistake too!

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Is it Ben on the opening of Gaudete ?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I've put out an sos on Twitter for the Gaudete question. I have also noticed that the intro to Carol of the Bells has been cut down dramatically from what was performed as the recording...

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:Some of my thoughts on the songs, might be some spoilers in there although I tried not to give too much away.

3) The Wexford Carol
Another of my favourites of the night and again I seemed to be alone on this one. Isaac’s voice is just perfect for this song – pure golden honey. This is not an in your face Christmas Carol it is soft, gentle, soothing. A beautiful Irish style flute solo did the intro (think James Galway) and then featured throughout the song. Isaac off stage did the opening verse alone and then others joined in for the second and then as each verse passed the number of voices built up. This is a lullaby of a Carol. Loved it. The nearest I can find is this one but it was the treble voices featuring, it wasn’t one for the older boys
Just listened to it now (first one I went too), It's absolutely stunning... Isaac's solo & the celtic instrumentation...quality...The only thing I would have done differently is to bring it to a soft close with a solo line from Isaac again, because you almost want to go back to the beginning to replay it!

My oh My - Danny Boy....this one does have a last solo line from Isaac. I bet this will become a much requested favourite for sending the Irish away onto their next spiritual journey.
Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

What Child Is This is a wonderful track and I am surprised it has been relegated to track 15
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

dani wrote:Is it Ben on the opening of Gaudete ?
Yorkie wrote:I've put out an sos on Twitter for the Gaudete question. I have also noticed that the intro to Carol of the Bells has been cut down dramatically from what was performed as the recording...
Not sure about the opening, but Mini Angels reference that Matthew J was one of the voices that appeared to stand out, singing the highest part. Guess we'll have to await the DVD for clarification.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:What Child Is This is a wonderful track and I am surprised it has been relegated to track 15
I would prefer to think of it as finishing on a high :D

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Not sure about the opening, but Mini Angels reference that Matthew J was one of the voices that appeared to stand out, singing the highest part. Guess we'll have to await the DVD for clarification.
MJ's part that they refer to is at the very end of the song - it could well be him though at the start.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote: Just listened to it now (first one I went too), It's absolutely stunning... Isaac's solo & the celtic instrumentation...quality...The only thing I would have done differently is to bring it to a soft close with a solo line from Isaac again, because you almost want to go back to the beginning to replay it!

My oh My - Danny Boy....this one does have a last solo line from Isaac. I bet this will become a much requested favourite for sending the Irish away onto their next spiritual journey.
Wexford and Isaac - what a match. From the moment I heard his 'Far Away' at Arundel I thought he had the potential to be something special - and he has time on his side yet.

One or two people have said they are disappointed at Danny Boy on the French Forum; that it is a little flat. I think they may not appreciate that it is in essence a sad and reflective song that is quite moving if you understand the lyrics and context.

What do you think to 'What Child Is This' Jimmy?

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:What Child Is This is a wonderful track and I am surprised it has been relegated to track 15
I would prefer to think of it as finishing on a high :D
First listen, agreed, it's an inspired arrangement, breathing new life into a well known classic. I can see this becoming a favourite for radio airplay, which Yorkie hinted at in his post concert spoiler debrief. I'll be surprised if Classic FM don't run with it.

I'm wondering if they maybe should have left a bit of applause at the end of each song (I think they did that on the Leiden CD) just to let listeners know that this was recorded live.
Yorkie wrote:One or two people have said they are disappointed at Danny Boy on the French Forum; that it is a little flat. I think they may not appreciate that it is in essence a sad and reflective song that is quite moving if you understand the lyrics and context.?
Yes, it does help to familiarise yourself with the backstory of it. You have to approach it with the right frame of mind and tailor your mood appropriately. Its a touching rendition and if you think about those you have lost who are no longer there anymore, it hits the right spot.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote:I've put out an sos on Twitter for the Gaudete question. I have also noticed that the intro to Carol of the Bells has been cut down dramatically from what was performed as the recording...
Definitely not Ben. I must have watched the recording a dozen times. Mathew J or Tom come to mind but I cannot tell you the answer for sure. I could call Mrs B and ask her to replay it, but, like Dani, she probably doesn't remember who is who. Perhaps it will be on the menu tonight.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

john45 wrote:
Definitely not Ben. I must have watched the recording a dozen times. Mathew J or Tom come to mind but I cannot tell you the answer for sure. I could call Mrs B and ask her to replay it, but, like Dani, she probably doesn't remember who is who. Perhaps it will be on the menu tonight.
It is Matthew Jansen singing the solo at the beginning also. :D
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Ding Ding - Round 3 of the vote off:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Easy for me, Still x 3

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

For me it is Angels we have on a high ...