St. Phillips boys choir vs Libera

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

John2008

St. Phillips boys choir vs Libera

Post by John2008 »

I have all Libera albums and love them all. I was curious to hear what they were like pre-Libera though, so I bought Angel Voices 1,2 & 3 by St.Phillips boys choir the other day. I have just been listening to them and I have to say I was very dissapointed. Their music style seemed to have taken a complete turn around when they became Libera. I noticed that Robert was also the director of the boys pre-Libera. My guess is that once they changed changed their name, Robert decided to change the style of music they would be singing also (and I am very glad he did!!!)
PiusPatronus

Post by PiusPatronus »

I agree, most of their songs in Angel Voices 1-3 are more religious-based and has quite a lot of Christmas songs on it.
However I did like some of their songs (Pie Jesu, Pie Jesu[From Faure's Requiem], Evening Falls, etc...)
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

I haven't actually heard vol 2 but have 1 & 3 both of which I like. Vol 3 is all Christmas carols, which I love, and vol 1 has some very nice songs on it. Although I didn't particulalry like the original version of 'Orinocco Flow' they did. But I think it is unfair to compare them with the likes of 'New Dawn'. I see it as part of there musical evolution; bear in mind that vol 1 was produced in 1993. That's 15 years of learning and development in between.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I completely agree with Jude Andrew. It would be unfair to compare them. Back then, religious songs were a lot more popular than they are today.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

You all do know, most of the current songs, from the self titled cd to New Dawn, that the songs are religious based. It is obvious, well to me, that RP is a Christian and his love of Christ shows in the songs he writes. "Stay With Me" is a very strong example of this. So is "Far Away". While the songs may seem to be more straight forward and not "religious" as the Angel Voices group were, they all have a message there. Listen to the English words in "Salve Me" and you will see what I mean.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

TEB:
You're spot-on, and I think you could extend that to the overwhelming majority of Libera's work. Aside from the Latin-derived songs, You are the New Day and Sing For Ever both spring to mind immediately. However, people can also take what they want from Libera's music--they aren't a strictly "Christian" group.
kay
Silver Member

Re: St. Phillips boys choir vs Libera

Post by kay »

I think it's just a case of progression and evolution. The differences between the St. Phillips and Angel Voices days are clear cut. Each in their own way was innovative and the Libera of today are merely continuing that progression.
It is very difficult for song writers/musical directors to stay static because their musical instincts are to move on. For example a singer makes his million selling records and tours. But year on year the audience want 'that' (or those) songs, but the singer wants to progress his music. It's difficult. I think Robert has handled that aspect of the choir/group well. What we hear today is as a result of what has been built upon over the years.
I'd love to ask one of those pioneering members whether they even imagined the Libera of today when they were performing.
Me, well I love all the 'eras' equally.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

IIRC RP has been choir director at St. Phillips C of E since the early 1980s. He's also had a role in the musical department of the Songs of Praise program. In the 1990s the choir was a prominent part of a number of religious television programs. It's only natural that the group's songs were originally religious in nature. Contrary to popular belief ( in some quarters ) Anglicanism is actually a Christian religion. I think that RP originally formed Angel Voices so that he could include non-Anglican boys in the choir as it increasingly performed in public outside of St. Phillip's. Renaming it Libera was probably an example of "re-branding" in the hopes of broadening the appeal.

Some of their recent songs, "Far Away" and "Song of Life" were actually written by a Japanese author. They have a spiritual tone to them, though they weren't originally written for Christian venues. They're written in such a way that they can easily be interpreted as Christian.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote:IIRC RP has been choir director at St. Phillips C of E since the early 1980s.
Early 70's - I seem to remember reading he took on the role aged 18 & he is 60ish now......
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kay wrote:I think it's just a case of progression and evolution. The differences between the St. Phillips and Angel Voices days are clear cut. Each in their own way was innovative and the Libera of today are merely continuing that progression.
I agree that the change from St Philips Boys Choir to Angel voices was evolution but I disagree that the move to Libera was anything but revolution. There is simply no connection to the sound of AV3 and the Libera album. Perhaps evidence of that is ditching the AV name and choosing Libera - free from the constraints of traditional choir music that SPBC & AV represented the new sound needed a new brand.

As time has gone on then the Libera sound has changed to a degree which is only natural. Personally I love those early Libera albums and I haven't found any other group that sounds the same. I consider the release of Peace to be a breath of fresh air with (I hope I don't offend anybody by saying this) a return to originality and unique songs that perhaps the previous few of albums didn't have as much of as 'Libera', 'Luminosa', & 'Free'.

Mercy & Love
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

Hi Yorkie

Yes RP early 80's and like me 60+ poor old blighters!!!!!!

Evolution: not contextual, to me they are still the same in what they stand for. But the sounds have definitely evolved. I too love their early material and Peace so I think we feel much the same. The arrangements have grown, with advances in equipment and so on. One of my favourites is Time and another How Shall I Sing That Majesty, then again I'd listen to 'our' boys with no backing whatsoever. Change over time they have but somehow managed to retain the essence they began with, and that's a tribiute to RP
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kay wrote:Hi Yorkie

Yes RP early 80's and like me 60+ poor old blighters!!!!!!

Evolution: not contextual, to me they are still the same in what they stand for. But the sounds have definitely evolved. I too love their early material and Peace so I think we feel much the same. The arrangements have grown, with advances in equipment and so on. One of my favourites is Time and another How Shall I Sing That Majesty, then again I'd listen to 'our' boys with no backing whatsoever. Change over time they have but somehow managed to retain the essence they began with, and that's a tribiute to RP
Sorry Kay are we talking at cross purposes here? RP took over as Choir Director aged 18 in the 70's not the 80's. The creation of the SPBC was in the 80's but they are not the same. We certainly don't agree on the sound 'evolving' from AV to Libera unless evolution is going from riding a horse one minute to building the Space Shuttle the next! :lol:

Mercy & Love
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

hi yorkie, got my dates mixed, put it down to our dog having a nightmare (in the daytime!) on the sofa next to me as I typed. RP has done such great things with the boys. Maybe here we can agree to disagree as 'friends' can. I think they have come a long way without compromising their roots. The music seems fuller to me, but I don't profess to be any kind of expert, just like what I hear. Just been listening to Song Of Life CD next up will be, heck I just chose at random, that way I get to experience the full breadth of their music.
I am just so glad I discovered them.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote:IIRC RP has been choir director at St. Phillips C of E since the early 1980s.
Early 70's - I seem to remember reading he took on the role aged 18 & he is 60ish now......
Yeah, you're right, we're the same age. 1952 plus 18 equals 1970. What can I say. I was trying to forget the 1970s. It was late at night and I was in a non-mathematical mood. I was distracted by Libera Dreams' spam infestation.