Platinum Member

Re: Christmas Concert 2019, Tuesday, 3rd December, London

Post by TullyBascombe »

Just remember to keep one for me! :)
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Last details of planning and I started packing for Thursday :P I can't wait !
I hope everyone makes it to St John Smith !

Libera made a post about the goodies that are expected on sale : https://libera.org.uk/news/christmas-co ... -december/
Calendar is back :D
Celt

Post by Celt »

Hope it's ok to post this here but I have some Libera stuff I want to sell. Is anyone coming to the London concert who might be interested in buying:

A photo book from Japan. £20/20€
A Libera Year photobook. £10/10€ ono.
A size Medium hoodie, tried on once and never worn since. £15/15€

Message me if you are attending the concert and are interested.
20191201_211041.jpg
20191201_210913.jpg
20191201_210851.jpg
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Padmachou wrote:Last details of planning and I started packing for Thursday :P I can't wait !
Hope you meant Tuesday :mrgreen:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

24 hours to go :mrgreen:
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:57 pm">4 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote:Last details of planning and I started packing for Thursday :P I can't wait !
Hope you meant Tuesday :mrgreen:
Ahah I've always been mixing the days of week even in french :lol: One cannot expect from me that I get it right in a foreign language !

Dani, will you count down from now until tomorrow ? :D
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Libera's Christmas concert up and away at @StJohnsSmithSq in Central London.

Libera's official twitter channel as posted some pre-concert photos...

Rehearsals...

..opening the concert...

Which thanks to @fan_de_LoK we have the concert setlist and members attending...

Very Christmassy indeed, with only a few non-festive songs included overall. Also with it being very much on home territory a few returns to the white robes by previous alumni Alex M, Alessandro MB...

The boys must be very tired after attending school today, but i'm sure they'll get a burst of festive spirit to deliver a first class concert.

Also @StJohnsSmithSq has tweeted a 'sneak preview' of Libera's new video for 'Carol of the Bells' probably to be shown in full on Songs of Praise 15.12.2019.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you Jimmy for this enormous deluge of information and updates! :D Oh how I wish I was in London right now.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

... and again Libera gave a great concert. Thank you 🙂
Attachments
20191203_212736~2.jpg
St. John's Square
20191203_212736~2.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 7621 times
St. John's Square
St. John's Square
20191203_212736~2.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 7621 times
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

It's nice to see Liam Connery as one of the staff. I'm trying to think of the last time his name would have appeared in a Libera concert program. I know he's listed as one of the back row singers in one of the 'home' concerts in 2013, but I don't know if he's ever appeared as a singer or staff member since then.
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

Back @Gatwick with memories of a great xmas concert in my bag! Very thankful for "walking on air" and "do you hear what i hear". Also greaaaat to see Aleee and Alex M. Back. Alex G. really grew big time the last few months :)

Thx Libera 4 a very nice evening :) some people need to prepare better and bring cough drops next time :)
Celt

Post by Celt »

Another great Xmas concert, there is definitely something extra special about Libera at Xmas for me, they seem to be the Libera concerts I enjoy the most!
2019-12-03 - Libera (27).jpg
In terms of sound balance having the musicians at the back was perfect in my opinion. In some concerts where I've sat closer to one side than the other, the closeness of the musicians and having them split into two groups either side has upset the balance a bit, together at the back and central was just right. I hope they consider repeating this arrangement in other venues...
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I am awful at writing reviews so I will leave that to the professionals :mrgreen:

I just wanted to say....

The most enjoyable Christmas concert I have been to as these bunch of boys are all so talented. I also liked the fact it was mostly Christmas songs and the songs selected were wonderful. I agree about the musicians being at the back of the stage as well. Sometimes at other concerts I have attended they have tended too over power some songs so the balance last night was spot on.

It was great to watch all the boys enjoy the concert so much and to see how animated they were for songs like Ding Dong , Carol of the bells and 3 Ships :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well I’m back home after a quick trip to London and the forum is noticeably devoid of reports so I thought I’d chip in some of my own thoughts on the evening.

As Dani said this was a Christmas concert with a difference in that it was packed with real Christmas songs rather than a mix of Christmas and ‘normal’ Libera repertoire. A little early in the season for sure but none the less a magical and enjoyable experience. It has been said a lot recently but it stands to be repeated, Libera is in a very good place at the moment with a great depth of talent and a good blend of sound. Credit to Robert, Elanor, and the rest of the team for their hard work and not forgetting the boys (and young men, with a very experienced back line adding hugely to the success of the concert) and finally the parents of course for their sacrifice. Thank you one and all.

The venue was impressive. St John’s Smith Square is renowned for staging top quality classical music; all the big choirs perform here as well as anybody who is anybody in the British classical music scene. It is just down the road from the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey – this is bang in the centre of well healed British culture. We were long overdue a Libera concert here. Given the prestigiousness of the venue it was only fitting that Mr Prizeman took his place to applause from audience.

The sound was excellent. With the musicians at the back of the stage (and can I say that despite what I’m sure is a substantial cost those musicians really compliment the boys) it was a nicely balanced sound. Sometimes, especially if you are seated on the edge of the audience, the musicians can be a little too forwards, competing with the voices. Not last night where the staging placed them at the back of the stage behind the boys and from my seat it meant I could always hear the individual voices. For the first time in many years I had a front row seat slightly right of centre. On the left the was a grouping of the high (first?) Trebles – Neo, Daniel W, Luca, Dominik, Tadhg, and Victor. On a number of songs it was very interesting to see how they worked with the second Trebles on the left of the stage. Each group had their own parts and it was sort of like they would pass the song back and forth between the two groups.

The evening kicked off with Do You Hear What I Hear lead by Oliver WR, Daniel W, Alex G, Peter and Ben. It recreated the recording on the CD very closely. A lovely arrangement of this modern Carol and one of a number of American Carols and arrangements on the night. Next was Daniel W with What Child is This. I really like this one. It stood out to me when I first heard it in Armagh in the hands of Isaac & Jude and Daniel certainly performed it faultlessly and with great assurance. Despite his young age Daniel is a very confident performer (both in his singing and in his speaking); his singing voice and stage presence having a maturity well in advance of his years. A very special talent.

In The Bleak Midwinter (Holst Sadly rather than my preferred Darke) is one of, if not the, UK’s favourite Carols and I doubt it will often sound better. Dominik performs the final verse and what can I say about his singing? Outstanding. Magnificent. Perfect. Only superlatives can suffice because he had an excellent evening. How I wish he had been with the group for many more years but how fortunate we are to hear him sing now.

Next we had The Angel Gabriel and this was a firm favourite many people on the night. Victor had the honours of the solo and he delivered it beautifully. So many soloists to chose from at the moment and Victor, ever smiling, deserves his place amongst them. The ever-youthful Gaudete followed and Ben stepped up to navigate the very tricky opening solo, making it look (sound?) easy. Such is the depth of talent in the group that Ben and Victor only had the chance to sing these two songs on their own although they did figure prominently in other songs. Quite remarkable really and a reflection of the quality that abounds in the current group.

Onto Angel and Daniel W was the soloist. It’s always difficult to follow in somebody else’s footsteps and pick up a number that was previously a defining song of a Libera legend. But if Daniel is aware of that pressure he doesn’t let it show. Another excellent performance from him. In Paradisum was perhaps the most out of place song on the night but it has quickly established itself as a fan favourite (well at least it is a favourite of mine and clearly that is all that matters). Oliver WR has to follow on from Rocco on this very difficult to sing song and he delivered those high notes with ease.

Before the concert several fans said they were looking forward to hearing Sing Lullaby because it was a favourite from the album. It delivered and then some. Libera’s version is so relaxed and peaceful – a true lullaby. Dominik delivered his vocals with great tenderness and a very peaceful, reflective expression. The harmonies provided by the group were perfectly sung to enhance Dominik’s verses. It was indeed a song that was well worth the anticipation. Poor Little Jesus is a song I love. I’ve heard them sing it at St Philip’s in their Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols Service and it has always been a favourite. I love the almost a cappella sound of the song and the part in the middle where they raise the volume and I love Luca’s final verse reprise of the first. And it has to be said Luca is a major talent with an exceptional voice.

The first half was concluded with Ding Dong Merrily On High which based on the album I wasn’t a huge fan of. Not that I was wrong of course (!) but live it is a very likable song that just exudes the joy of the Season and the boys clearly get a huge amount of fun from singing this tongue twister (as Daniel explained to us in the speech that proceeded it) with multiple differing parts being sung simultaneously by different groups of boys.

The concert restarted with 7 of the deeper voices (Alessandro, Adam, Alex G, Alex M, Taichi, Peter, Leo) alone on the right of the stage in a tight group. These deeper voices started to sing three verses of the ancient chant of Conditor Alme Siderum. It started a cappella and then the strings picked up the lament during which the rest of the boys entered the stage and they all joined in the final Amen. We then moved directly in to Carol Of The Bells which was as good as ever. Ben and Neo did the high Stefan/Ralph calls and Cassius came forward to deliver the final ‘ding dong ding dong’ but he changed it up by drawing out the phrase of ‘that is our song’.

Angele Dei saw the return of Dominik who really hit those big notes effortlessly. He prepared for them by noticeably raising his shoulders and taking a big breath before lifting his voice to the roof. He had a very, very good night and hopefully we will have the chance to hear him a few more times at the peak of his singing. Libera’s version of Walking In The Air as you all know is very special. In the speech that introduced it Tadhg explained that they had special permission from its composer, Howard Blake, to add in those trademark group harmonies for the album recording. Luca sings this song as well as it can be sung. Aled Jones recorded it for an advert and most people think he originated it but in the animated film ( The Snowman) it was sung by Peter Auty. Neither Peter’s or Aled’s versions can match Libera’s. Luca’s voice just resonates a golden purity that is unmatched when bathed in the Libera harmonies. Song of the night for me.

Sanctus (new version) had high notes from Luca and Dominik. O Little Town Of Bethlehem saw the return of Oliver WR. This is a tricky one for me as the tune is not the one we Brits know and is seems a little slow for my taste, but I can’t deny that Oliver did the vocal justice. The Wexford Carol is now a firm fan favourite with the Gaelic opening verse (Tadhg of course) and the haunting whistle provided by the ever excellent Eimer (who swaps between different types of instruments on some songs).

If I thought WITA was the song of the night Noel Nouvelet pushed it close. As on the album Victor sang the first verse in (I assume 😉) French. Sam’s arrangement is undeniably catchy and we also had a duet with Neo and Oliver WR mixed in. Not in the official set list but correctly anticipated by our very own Padmachou was Silent Night. It was arranged with just five boys (Luca, Dominik, Mathius, Victor Ben) who joined in the singing in turn (very similar to the way Nearer My God To Thee was sung). The final song of the night was In Dulci Jubilo before the encore of I saw Three Ships which is still a very unique arrangement of this song and is nice upbeat finish for the evening.

I think it is fair to say that it was a good evening well spent.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Last night’s concert will go down as one of Libera’s best. A bunch of us tried to name any highlights but we couldn’t. The entire concert was a highlight! Usually there are a couple of songs that were a little less excellent than the rest, but last night I couldn’t name any. So this feels more like a review of a single experience, rather than different songs.

Several details stood out though, which I will describe from here on, in no particular order.

Clear voices
Seated on the front row I was able to hear many individual voices directly. I was extremely happy to hear Alex G so clearly again, right at the start in Do You Hear :) (what an aptly named song ;))
During Angel, I thought I heard new harmonies by Mathias and Samuel. Also on Angel, the high notes on the right were very strong. I think Luca and Dominik were responsible for those, but Daniel and Neo also contributed a great deal to the high notes from the right last night.

Bouche fermée
Another feature that was new to me was the humming with closed mouth (our conductor uses the French term ‘bouche fermée’). This produces, of course, a ’mmm’-sound, like laying down a carpet for the soloist. Then as the song gets stronger and louder, the boys opened their mouth for their famous ‘aah’s. Please correct me if I’m wrong but this bouche fermee harmonising seemed new to me.

Soloists
As for the soloists, Dominik and Oliver WR were very powerful again. It’s quite something to see Dominik stand so close with his commanding stage presence and complete dedication to the singing. His voice is both delicate and strong – delicate in his tender, almost aching solo in In the Bleak Midwinter, strong in the heavenly high ‘Abide’ from Angele Dei. A song that feels like a visit from a being of another world. In a same way, Walking in the Air feels like a journey to another world, a magical place from dreams. Luca was very strong and has great breath control. I loved hearing his crystal clear voice flow so smoothly and hold those long notes. I wonder where he’ll be in a year or two, if he’s already in top form at this young age.

I mentioned Oliver WR, he is a terrific soloist and his rendition of In Paradisum was exceptionally powerful. The way he stood there, almost as if he was on his own, singing his heart out in a pleading prayer for the deceased… Supported by the choir, guiding him along in that spectacular ‘Jerusalem’ and ‘Aeternam’… I get goosebumps just remembering it.

The lights
I also recall the lights were beautiful for this one, I think it was mostly red but my memory is so dodgy! The space of St. John’s Smith Square was tricky to use for lights but there was always a hue or glow of mostly red or blue if I remember correctly. Sitting in the front row does not allow you to fully appreciate the lighting so others can comment better on this, but the overall effect was very warm and almost dreamlike throughout the concert.

Conditor alme siderum
A wonderful surprise came at the beginning of the second half, when only the boys from the back row appeared and Alessandro started off the Gregorian Advent chant Conditor alme siderum. This piece forms the basis for the Libera song Sempiterna on Visions, but here it was ‘merely’ used as an intro to Carol of the Bells. Conditor is associated with Advent, a prayer for the coming of Christ and as such very solemn and fitting for the time of year – Advent having started only this week. I was amazed that the back row was featured exclusively, and their sound was like the colour of gold. The string section supported them with a gently flowing accompaniment. The rest of the boys filed in during the last verse and ended the song with a harmonious ‘Amen’. When Carol of the Bells started, the solemn atmosphere of Conditor still hovered over this lively song. Cassius' mini-solo at the end is sung more slowly now, a change made in Japan. It emphasises the closing of the song and Cassius sings it with precision and care in his most charming voice.

Powerful first half
As for the second half, I thought it was a bit more lightweight than the first one, which had a sequence of very powerful and moving songs: Angel, Gaudete, In Paradisum and Sing lullaby.
Gaudete was so lively, colourful and joyful. Contagious in its pushing rhythm. Again I could hear so many different parts so clearly, like being able to see distinctly all the colours in a painting, without losing sight of the whole.
Sing lullaby again was deeply moving, perhaps the most moving song of the night. Not just because of Dominik’s solo, but the entire song. It is so solemn and sad, and then the turnaround at the end makes it even more moving!

The first half ended with Ding dong merrily on high which I would describe as Christmas confetti in every shining colour possible :))

Warm glowy songs
Just as in Japan, the fact that there were so many Christmas songs on the setlist didn’t mean it was all the same thing. The entire scope of emotions and meaning associated with Christmas was presented in the music, from quiet reflection to bouncing joy.
Some of the songs were a bit of both, where a warm glow gave a joyful feeling without all the dancing around. Those songs were Wexford carol, with the gorgeous pairing of Eimear on her flute and the boys harmonising; O little town of Bethlehem – slowly, gracefully unfolding the mystery surrounding the birth of Jesus – and Noel Nouvelet, where Victor is an ideal soloist and Neo on the far right formed a wonderful duet with Oliver WR on the far left, creating a marvellous stereo effect. Great feeling for the tummy via the ears :) Noel Nouvelet is deceptively simple, enchanting and rich in dynamics.

Speeches
Normally I don’t write about the speeches, I think because they don’t form part of the emotional and spiritual experiences during a Libera concert, but I would like to make an exception for Daniel. He had two speeches that were new for this concert and which he performed with an eager cheekiness. One was about the fact that the concert took place on a school day and some of the boys had been up since 6 am – at which he made a face as if to say: can you believe it, that’s unbearable! The other new speech talked about the history of Walking in the Air, and Daniel mentioned Aled Jones as one of the boy singers who made this song famous. He then went on to remark that Aled probably won’t be able to hit those high notes as well as he used to, which caused a good deal of laughter from the audience. Cheeky! :)

Wait, what did I forget?
I haven’t yet mentioned What Child is This – a friendly, lovely tune where Daniel did a fine job, calm and confident; The angel Gabriel, with its rousing build-up, especially strong last night; Poor little Jesus – where Luca shone and the boys were really strong in singing the climactic final verse – and Silent Night – not mentioned in the program but expected nonetheless. I thought the tempo was just a tiny bit faster than what I was used to. I thought of using the word exceptional again but then realised it is used to describe an exception and in fact, for Libera, these exceptional performances have become the norm. The way Luca harmonised with Ben and Mathias joined in – just three pure voices, all tuned to the harmony and the rhythm and the meaning of the words – was just magnificent. They looked and sounded just like the King’s Singers, only younger. When Dominik and Victor joined, five boys filled the entire room like a full choir. Luca closed off the song to a clear and bright ending, shining like the star of Bethlehem.
Sanctus was the only Libera standard still standing on this set list and called for a full stage, making sure the light and colour of this song were performed to the max.

An aside…
We talk about the songs, the soloists and so on. What we see and hear is not just that. It is all the effort put into it by so many people, more than we know. It is also the seeds of what will follow, how the boys will grow and mature. This is what moves me sometimes the most – all the love and energy poured into this music and then poured out again into the world. It is not just the notes, it’s everything.

Now, for the...

Finale!
The irresistible cheer of In dulci jubilo was followed by a generous applause, still audible during the first notes of the encore. I Saw Three Ships sent us out with a bang and a standing ovation – for the boys, for Robert, for the musicians, graciously acknowledged as usual by Victor, and even for Moose in his sparkly Christmas outfit.

What will the future hold for Libera next year? One can only guess – but as we do so, we bask in the afterglow of this amazing night, leading up to the glory of Christmas.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above