22 June 2019 - Arundel, UK Concert

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: 22 June 2019 - Arundel, UK Concert

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you, maartendas, for your wonderful review and the details of personal affect which you always include. Through reading your reviews it is clear that the spiritual and religious aspects of the music are personally meaningful to you, sometimes deeply so, and add a certain dimension to your appreciation which enhances certain pieces in a unique way for you. This just underscores the multidimensional appeal of Libera's music for all types of people with all sorts of backgrounds.

Astronomy, huh? Funny enough I am going on a star-gazing trip in a few weeks. I have never gone on one before but have wanted to for years. There is a place some hours away by car which is supposed to have minimal light pollution. :D Being a typical, boring city person I'm not knowledgeable about constellations and the like, but when I have observed various natural wonders it fills me with an awe not unlike what music can do. Ultimately things such as beauty, harmony, and awe can be found in all sorts of things, but I find that music is unique among them; and, even within that, Libera's music seems a category unto itself in so many ways.

Anyway, thank you again for your review! :D
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Thank you for the amazing reviews by Yorkie and Maartendas. I wish I had been there to enjoy all the wonderful new soloists.
• Wow! So many new soloists to look forward to for the USA tour 2019.
• Of the soloists that were in the USA tour in 2018, my favorites are Daniel and Victor. Victor had 3 solos: Wonderful World, Smile, From a Distance. What a treat for me coming soon! And Daniel whose USA debut last year took my breath away, is singing my favorite song Angel, and Prayer too (both Isaac’s signature songs). It seems almost impossible to me that Daniel could be better than he was last year or in Beyond. And yet, all the reviews show how magnificent they both are. I will hear them soon!!!
• Dominik seems to have matured into an outstanding soloist, from your reviews of Angele Dei and How Shall I Sing the Majesty. I hope they film and record him before his voice changes into tenor (coming soon if he is 12 years old).
• I am excited about the soloists I have never heard: Tadgh, Samuel Francis, Dominik, Mathias, Cassius, Luca, Luca, Oliver Watt, and Neo.
• I am glad Taichi is back with the tenors. But, what happened to Merlin, Alex Montoro, Ben Bywater, Peter, Marc, and Camden? Did they “retire” from Libera or will they be at the USA tour?
• I have always liked Exsultate. Maartendas mentioned it but not Yorkie. Did any boy do the solo or was it a group song?
• So many songs I like in this concert. I hope they keep the same list for the USA tour.
• I wish they would film one of the USA concerts this year. Some of these boys will not be doing solos next year.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 am">4 years ago</span>
What a treat for me coming soon! And Daniel whose USA debut last year took my breath away, is singing my favorite song Angel, and Prayer too (both Isaac’s signature songs). It seems almost impossible to me that Daniel could be better than he was last year or in Beyond. And yet, all the reviews show how magnificent they both are. I will hear them soon!!!
Yes, they are arriving in good form. Believe us he is better and, at 10, he will improve further as his voice develops. Exciting times because there are lots of good singers & an excellent group at the moment.
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 am">4 years ago</span>Dominik seems to have matured into an outstanding soloist, from your reviews of Angele Dei and How Shall I Sing the Majesty. I hope they film and record him before his voice changes into tenor (coming soon if he is 12 years old).
Dominik was outstanding. Very impressive performance and he performed both songs with great skill. We have a crop of good soloists at the moment

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 am">4 years ago</span>I am glad Taichi is back with the tenors. But, what happened to Merlin, Alex Montoro, Ben Bywater, Peter, Marc, and Camden? Did they “retire” from Libera or will they be at the USA tour?
I think Merlin was in the audience, as was Alex (supporting his brother). Ben, Marc & Peter we don't know but can assume. Camden was helping in setting up the concert so we know he has also left the performing side (special occasions/recordings excepted of coures)
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 am">4 years ago</span>I have always liked Exsultate. Maartendas mentioned it but not Yorkie. Did any boy do the solo or was it a group song?
I mentioned it, but as little as I could get away with without being impolite. No solo part but Neo and Tadhg did the high notes.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TrebleVoices

Post by TrebleVoices »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:31 am">4 years ago</span>
Yes, they are arriving in good form. Believe us he is better and, at 10, he will improve further as his voice develops. Exciting times because there are lots of good singers & an excellent group at the moment.

Dominik was outstanding. Very impressive performance and he performed both songs with great skill. We have a crop of good soloists at the moment
Yeah, this is what I meant when I said I was impressed across the board. There are quite a few good soloists at the moment, and while I obviously love hearing choral singing, my absolute favourite thing is hearing a good treble solo... For me personally the last three concerts, Westminster, Brighton and Arundel have been really excellent in this regard with some great soloists new and old.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 am">4 years ago</span>I have always liked Exsultate. Maartendas mentioned it but not Yorkie. Did any boy do the solo or was it a group song?
I mentioned it, but as little as I could get away with without being impolite. No solo part but Neo and Tadhg did the high notes.
Oh no, you're mixing up Exultate with Libera. Such a gentleman like you who, would never in the world mix up Yorkshire and Lancashire :lol:
The first part, usually a solo part, was sang as a group from the right aisle of the circle of boys. The second verse was an answer from the left aisle of the circle. Then the whole group sag. And the second solo part ("we hear a distant muuu-usic") was sang by Oliver W-R, with Sam-Francis doing high notes vocalises that are new to me (?). I liked this arrangement very much.

My review will come probably tonight, sorry I had a lot to do these last days :D
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 am">4 years ago</span>I am glad Taichi is back with the tenors. But, what happened to Merlin, Alex Montoro, Ben Bywater, Peter, Marc, and Camden? Did they “retire” from Libera or will they be at the USA tour?
I think Merlin was in the audience, as was Alex (supporting his brother). Ben, Marc & Peter we don't know but can assume. Camden was helping in setting up the concert so we know he has also left the performing side (special occasions/recordings excepted of coures)
During the speech about how old or young some of the boys are, they mentioned that there were older boys in the group, not on stage that night, and that some of them were already attending university. We might expect some of the older boys to be back on some occasions, missing ones or the ones that were helping backstage :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 pm">4 years ago</span>
Oh no, you're mixing up Exultate with Libera. Such a gentleman like you who, would never in the world mix up Yorkshire and Lancashire :lol:
The first part, usually a solo part, was sang as a group from the right aisle of the circle of boys. The second verse was an answer from the left aisle of the circle. Then the whole group sag. And the second solo part ("we hear a distant muuu-usic") was sang by Oliver W-R, with Sam-Francis doing high notes vocalises that are new to me (?). I liked this arrangement very much.
Ahh yes, you are correct. In my defence I am old and was awake far too early. Exsultate has that affect on me - it causes nightmares & psychosis...

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 pm">4 years ago</span>
Wasn't it the other way round? Oliver doing vocalise and Sam singing the words? I remember distinctly that Sam had one song where he did not do vocalises but had a solo with lyrics and I think it was this one.

Looking forward to your review! :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 pm">4 years ago</span> On a side note, I just realised that both Oliver M's solos are of songs where the main solo is paired with a high note vocalise, a very nice combination that works wonderfully well with his voice.
Oh dear, did I just quote myself? :shock:
It's just that I was wondering who sings the high vocalise on the album version of Always with you (on Visions)? Was it also Tom, just as in Leiden?

Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I do not know Maartendas, sorry.

Yorkie, I might have switched the boys, right. I can't tell you anymore :lol:

Here comes my review, as usual you will have to forgive my poor translation.

Hi everyone :D Sorry this review comes a bit late, but like I told before, I want to London with my grandma and we took 3 days to visit, after Arundel. We also were very lucky to discover Arundel and especially the castle (thank you very much Yorkie for driving us from the Inn, you saved us and saved us time too !). The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed the castle's gardens. From where, we were the ones reporting hearing Joyful Joyful coming out of the cathedral :lol: Don't those Libera boys sing strongly ?

We then had to climb the hill up to the cathedral, where we met all the usual fans, eavesdropping, which in french is said "listening through doors" ! My grandma sat sunbathing, so I stayed with her most of the time and was nearly free of spoilers when entering the cathedral !

As soon as we entered, and after we got or signed programs of course, I noticed this would be the first time I was to attend a concert in day light (I reckon it was day in Ely last year but it rained !). It is a bit strange and probably stressfull for the boys who can see us very well.
We were unfortunatelly seated behind the pillar (which was not mentionned when I booked !), but fortunatelly Filiarheni had missing neighbours, and we were kindly invited to sit with her, so we had a perfect sight. Thank you so much to all Libera fans to be so lovely ! <3

It was the first time my grandma ever saw Libera. During the afternoon she asked to hear a bit of the choir to know what she was going to attend, so I made her listen to "Angel", Isaac's solo from Osaka live. She enjoyed it and asked me a lot of questions about the boys, rehearsals, etc. So I told her pretty much every thing you need to know about Libera. Patrick kindly came to talk to her in french (since she does not speak english apart from "Hello" and "thank you") before the concert and gave her a bit more information. In the end she knew enough so that the speeches would not be a missing part of the concert for her. By the way, do not expect me to tell you anything about thoses speeches, I never remember when they occur, who talks and that kind of things :lol:

As a musician (a violonist), my grandma took interest in the little orchestra accompagnying Libera, she even went to see the instruments closely during the entracte. I was surprised no one asked her to keep distance for security :lol: In the end, though, she professed she would have liked to hear less instruments and the voices a bit more, like maybe a cappella sometimes.

The concert started with Veni Creator Spiritus, which did not struck me despite being perfectly performed. I mean that I did not find it a very good introduction in comparison with Mysterium for exemple. The boys were far away, and it wasn't very mysterious, just not on stage somehow. I have to confess I am not into gregorian music, though. :roll: :roll:

Right after that, all the boys entered stage, and the mini-boys stood too, for Orinoco Flow. Now that was an entrance ! My grandma was overwhelmed with the arrangement and the staging. I really like that choregraphy, there are two lines standing in the middle and one line on each side. They turn sometimes, and when they sing "Sail away" they all walk to the front end, and then back (which I'm impressed by, as I wouldn't walk two steps back without falling or tempering with someone else :lol: ).

Then came Sanctus, Beyon arr., with Samuel-F on the very high notes, very beautiful. I find him at his best when he is supporting the choir.

First surprise : Angele Dei is back ! With Dominik as a soloist. I was a bit sad that he did not got to perform I am the day, but have to admit these two songs are as good as any song could be. His voice is very different from Rocco's, but yet very powerfull, I had goosebump. I hope there will be a record or a live capture of this performance. :)

Daniel then took over his old role in The Prayer. Nothing special to say, he still is that good, this piece suits him, he is calm and humble like the lyrics... I have to say when the choir vocalises all together, I felt my heart bumping hard.

Next surprise : Salve Regina, live, at last ! But as Rocco now is a big boy, Tadhg did the solo. A very nice interpretation, his voice fits the song. I expect he will grow in confidence during the US tour, he seemed a bit nervous and happy to be done, then again I've been told his whole family was there so nothing but normal ! Well done Tadhg !

From a Distance is now a classic during concerts, but without Merlin now (the boy was in the audience). Victor stepped in his boots, and I have to say I might have not even noticed, it sounded as if Victor had sang this his all life... but maybe he did, in the shower :lol: I say Victor and Daniel are the pillars or the current group, able to take over any challenge. With Dominik and Oliver W-R of course.

Stay With Me have been a great surprise to me ! Some might have heard me complaining about that song, or read previous reviews. Well, Oliver made a great concert all along ! He grew in confidence, his voice is fluid and soft. Samuel-F did the high notes, and gave all night the best he could. Not a night to rest for him : he took the leader spot that Leo left, and scarcely could rest, really. So, I can easily forgive some blunders, and his voice has a cristal tone I envy :roll:

Then came Angel, a good surprise for my grandma as she heard it during the afternoon. Daniel is waterthight ! Absolut control of his voice. Everything seems easy, it must be, right ? :lol:

Voca Me was powerful, lights adding to it in my opinion, bright white. The choir really sounded as one. Samuel-F missed a vocalise, maybe he could not see RP properly as mentionned before. Most of the people won't have noticed, though. The boys on stage did notice, and eyed each other with little smiles :lol: Like I said before, busy night for Samuel, so kudos !

First half of the concert ended with Joyful joyful, with particularly smily boys. I was just in front of little Hal, 6 years old, and I can tell you that when he knows his lyrics his voice is powerful and I could clearly hear it from my spot. Being so little and young that is something ! But... I can also tell you that when he doesn't know the lyrics, he mumbles, pretending he does :lol: In french we say "do yogurt". Well, Joyful joyful is a huge piece of yogurt :lol: :lol: :lol:

- ENTRACTE –

Second half started again with How Shall I Sing That Majesty, Dominik singing the solo. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about it, my grandma was sort of lost and needed information so I do not remember the song really. But I am happy the song is back on the concert setlist.

Wonderful World was sang by Victor, huge smile on his face, and that song is very easy to sing too, if you believe it ? Maybe I should not :lol:

In Paradisum was maybe the best that night, with Oliver W-R doing the solo. I recall his voice being soft and warm, but here it was sharp and bright ! An absolute YES for this performance. Do you think the song might make it to the Christmas album, or is it to far from the christmas theme ?

How Great Thou Art used to be Oliver W-R's, so I was a bit disappointed not to hear it, I liked it so much. But I was also very happy to hear Mathias on his own (Libera is just too much emotions, guys ! Sad and happy at the same time ! :lol: :cry: ). He was very involved and it was perfect.

Always with you was next. I heard a rumour about it and I had a hint that Oliver M would be the soloist, great knews it turned to be ! One of the best of the concert too ! Oliver was supported by no other than Luca Brugnoli... the boy was on stage for the first time (after being mini-boys for 2 concerts), being a soloist and wearing a microphone. He clearly was the second to Samuel-F on the high notes. Incredible pure and very steady voice, he made me think of Thomas DL. I hope the song will stay and get recorded, it's been a while since Tom Cully's one.

Amazing Grace meant a little surprise, as we did not know who would be soloist. The boys, around ten of them, kneeling in the middle as usually, and Tadhg and Cassius were at the far end. Which one would sing the solo part ? Well, it was Cassius. A wonderful childish still voice, very soft. That kid smiles a lot ! Thank you Cassius for this very sincere solo. :D

Libera rang in the church. Not a surprise... except, it was Tadhg and Neo singing the solos ! Neo had an amazing night, he seemed so happy to be performing I couldn't help but smile back. By the way, he had a microphone and for most of the songs, stood between Luca and Samuel-F who did the high notes. But often, I could see his mumble lyrics when the other two did vocalise, so I do not know exactly what was his role. But a major one I say, and hopefully we will hear Neo more in the future.

Poor Little Jesus was a strange moment for me. I did not know the song before, and I liked it, especially the part when Luca did a solo, talented boy (then again, aren't all Libera boys ?). But after the concert I could not remember anything from the melody, and so I've been heard saying to Yorkie that I wasn't impressed. Sorry. Really sorry. :lol: I listened to the song since, and it is a very complex wonderful melody ! So, I decided it MUST be recorded on the Christmas album, and MUST also be sang for Christmas, with candlelight, please. Thank you very much.

I know Exultate did not make everyone happy as some can't bare it anymore. But I have to say I enjoyed this arrangement a lot. The first verse wasn't a solo, but was sang by half of the boys, answered by the second half with the second verse. Then they all sang together, except for the dramatic part "we hear a distant music" which was sang by Oliver W-R and Samuel-F, one of them singing the lyrics, the other one vocalises. Their voices fitted together.

The encore was Smile, are you surprise ? That is an other really easy solo by Victor, why don't they give Victor something challenging ? :lol: I mean, it must be easy, it has to. Victor is Libera's smile, please I want him in the group forever ! Alex G's soft (great) voice was discreet but a highlight to the melancholy of that song that has grown onto me.

A last word about the newbies, which I saw perfectly, all seven of them. I didn't take pictures myself, but if you see one, I can tell you that the 3rd one starting from the left and the 4rth one, sometimes the 6th too, knew all of the lyrics by heart, I can't say if they sang (were allowed to !) or just mumbled though. Hal is a mischievious boy like Cassius, and can't stay still just like Nick (even danced a bit) ! I hope this funny guy will have a carrieer with Libera, I say he was born a musician.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for your review and I enjoyed reading how your grandmother experienced the concert and the friendliness of the fan community. I'm glad you both were able to share this together :)
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 pm">4 years ago</span> Voca Me was powerful, lights adding to it in my opinion, bright white. The choir really sounded as one. Samuel-F missed a vocalise, maybe he could not see RP properly as mentionned before. Most of the people won't have noticed, though. The boys on stage did notice, and eyed each other with little smiles :lol: Like I said before, busy night for Samuel, so kudos !
I was told that during rehearsal they found out there was nothing for him to stand on and they improvised to find a solution, by placing one of the boxes used for stage equipment on the spot where he had to stand. It's all part of show business! :wink:
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 pm">4 years ago</span> (Libera is just too much emotions, guys ! Sad and happy at the same time ! :lol: :cry: ).
:lol: :lol: very well said :wink:
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 pm">4 years ago</span> Hal is a mischievious boy like Cassius, and can't stay still just like Nick (even danced a bit) ! I hope this funny guy will have a carrieer with Libera, I say he was born a musician.
I like that comment. He seemed quite in his element on stage, just going for it with all he had. Promising lad!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 pm">4 years ago</span> Always with you was next. I heard a rumour about it and I had a hint that Oliver M would be the soloist, great knews it turned to be ! One of the best of the concert too ! Oliver was supported by no other than Luca Brugnoli... the boy was on stage for the first time (after being mini-boys for 2 concerts), being a soloist and wearing a microphone. He clearly was the second to Samuel-F on the high notes. Incredible pure and very steady voice, he made me think of Thomas DL. I hope the song will stay and get recorded, it's been a while since Tom Cully's one.
Thanks for the detailed review! I wonder if Luca Brugnoli and Daniel White could end up being something similar to when Libera had Tom D-L and Isaac London as major soloists at the same time. One difference is that Daniel, who's more like Isaac, is the older one, while with the previous pair Tom D-L was the older of the two. I had gotten the impression in past concerts that Daniel would be handling a lot of the more difficult high parts in the future, but now I'm not so sure. I suppose that even if a singer can reach very high notes, there are factors such as volume and control that are considered.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Weren't Isaac London and Tom D-L fairly close in age? It seems to me that they appeared in Libera at roughly the same time.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:26 am">4 years ago</span> Weren't Isaac London and Tom D-L fairly close in age? It seems to me that they appeared in Libera at roughly the same time.
According to the libera-passion website, Tom D-L was born on Jan. 3, 2002, while Isaac London was born Feb. 19, 2003. So, Tom was over a year older.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:16 pm">4 years ago</span> 30 main group =+ 7 mini boys:
You missed Taichi, he was also there :) The number of boys on stage, including him, was indeed 37.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:22 am">4 years ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:16 pm">4 years ago</span> 30 main group =+ 7 mini boys:
You missed Taichi, he was also there :) The number of boys on stage, including him, was indeed 37.
Thanks, added him to the list.

Mercy & Love