2019 US Summer Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

LuxVenit
Silver Member

Re: 2019 US Summer Tour

Post by LuxVenit »

Cool, cool. I'd love to go there someday. For now though I stay in Minnesota. Very nice of you to buy tickets for other people. :)
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

As this concert was nearly identical to the one in Arundel which has been reviewed multiple times I will attempt to avoid any superfluous details and just give my overall impressions and personal highlights. The only difference in the set list as compared to Arundel was the absence of “Smile” and the insertion of “America the Beautiful” as the encore.

To start, the lighting in the cathedral is amazing. If you haven’t seen photos of the Cathedral of Saint Paul, I suggest that you check them out on Google Images. It’s a beautiful building and the lighting effects have a special aesthetic appeal to me when Libera performs in stone cathedral or church like that. Further, the acoustics were really special with the last note of a song lingering in the air for a few precious seconds allowing the fullness of the piece to settle in. Wow!

As far as songs are concerned my wish came true with a live performance of “Salve Regina”. The soloist was Tadhg of course and I am very glad I finally heard it performed. It was not my favorite song of the night but due to my love of the piece I thought it was worth its mention. That brings me to several standouts regarding solos and subsequently my favorite song of the night. Luca is crazy good on the top descants – I think that this is the replacement of the likes of TDL, Leo, etc that we have all been waiting for. But I do not want to take anything away from Sam C as he was quite good on his high note parts as well and has improved markedly. With that being said, “Poor Little Jesus” was my favorite of the night. Now that shouldn’t be a huge surprise given that every other song should be very familiar (from recordings) to serious long-time fans, so any new song is bound to get extra attention. Luca’s solo was excellent, but the piece itself had a sort of dignified and slightly restrained air about it that made it all the more appealing somehow. It was like you were getting a small taste of something much grander; something which, if you experienced it, would be too much to handle, a light too bright…..or something like that. This song literally gave my goosebumps.

Now, on to one of my other favorite songs: “In Paradisum”. As I have only heard it sung by Rocco (recording + 2018 concerts) Oliver WR’s solo differed from Rocco’s and that takes some getting used to. It is hard to get used to a different boy singing a piece that requires such an exceptionally difficult solo; a solo that is rather central to the song in fact. But Oliver did a lovely job on it and as this song requires a lot of range and perfection I applaud him for that. Other notable mentions include Oliver M’s singing on “Always with You”, the overall performance of “How Great Thou Art” which really resonated with me, Daniel’s flawless execution of every single one of his solos particularly “Angel” which is actually not a song I gravitate to but which was renewed for me at this concert, and Cassius’ solo on “Amazing Grace” which was done beautifully.

The choir was solid, the sound quality was great, and the venue was stunning. I couldn’t ask for anything better! :D

Funny anecdote: In the signing line after the concert several of the boys tried to get fans to start a fake rumor that they would be performing in Mexico next year. Such mischief! :lol: :twisted:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:51 am">4 years ago</span> “Poor Little Jesus” was my favorite of the night. [...] Luca’s solo was excellent, but the piece itself had a sort of dignified and slightly restrained air about it that made it all the more appealing somehow. It was like you were getting a small taste of something much grander; something which, if you experienced it, would be too much to handle, a light too bright…..or something like that. This song literally gave my goosebumps.
Beautifully said!

Glad you enjoyed it so much :) The specific songs you mentioned are all ones that made an impression in Arundel as well. It sounds like they started off the tour really well, so that's promising!
Just wish you could have heard Smile with Alex G backing up Victor... That's the treat for us continentals, I guess :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:51 am">4 years ago</span> With that being said, “Poor Little Jesus” was my favorite of the night. Now that shouldn’t be a huge surprise given that every other song should be very familiar (from recordings) to serious long-time fans, so any new song is bound to get extra attention. Luca’s solo was excellent, but the piece itself had a sort of dignified and slightly restrained air about it that made it all the more appealing somehow. It was like you were getting a small taste of something much grander; something which, if you experienced it, would be too much to handle, a light too bright…..or something like that. This song literally gave my goosebumps.
Thanks for the report, we told you it was good. Just wait until you hear I Saw Three Ships on the new CD!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:48 am">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:51 am">4 years ago</span> “Poor Little Jesus” was my favorite of the night. [...] Luca’s solo was excellent, but the piece itself had a sort of dignified and slightly restrained air about it that made it all the more appealing somehow. It was like you were getting a small taste of something much grander; something which, if you experienced it, would be too much to handle, a light too bright…..or something like that. This song literally gave my goosebumps.
Beautifully said!

Glad you enjoyed it so much :) The specific songs you mentioned are all ones that made an impression in Arundel as well. It sounds like they started off the tour really well, so that's promising!
Just wish you could have heard Smile with Alex G backing up Victor... That's the treat for us continentals, I guess :wink:
I'll take Smile any day of the week in that head to head :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

With Luca taking over the high solo part in "Voca Me", I think he may be the youngest to do so. I believe that Tom D.L. was slightly older when he first did that solo.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Hello Libera fans:

I will be arriving at St Louis, MO this afternoon. Is it possible for me to meet some of you for coffee or dinner before the concert day? I would like to get to know you. I will be driving to Oklahoma on July 30 to attend the concert there too.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Review addendum.

I forgot to add a very important but impressive fact about the newer iteration of "Sanctus" as sung in recent concerts and on "Beyond" (at 1:38 on that album). I have heard them perform this newer version live before and had commented that the new part they added with the words "Pleni sunt cæli et terra gloria tua. Hosanna in excelsis." was an excellent addition and even renewed a song that for me had become a bit over-listened to in my nearly 16 years as a Libera fan. But the reason I am adding this addendum is not to comment on the song itself (I love it!) but to point out something I had not been seated close enough to the stage to see before last night.

During the words "Pleni sunt cæli et terra" the group on the right side of the stage sang the words alone, then the left side picked up the words "gloria tua" alone. It was really cool to see and hear that and created a neat aural effect. :D
feinstei

Post by feinstei »

How well attended was the St. Paul concert? Was the venue full? Any estimates of actual attendance numbers?
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Hello guys ! I am glad you enjoyed it and to hear that the boys were good. If I understand correctly there were few changes amongst soloists, like Luca being the one doing high notes on "Voca Me" ? Any other surprises in regard to Arundel ? :D

Missing boys on this tour, if I may complete the analysis thanks to Fan_de_LoK's indications on twitter :
Romeo Tesei
Joe Cranitch
Nicholas Taylor
Luke Batteson-Dialpaz
Felipe Jackson
Ben Wevill

Two are back :
Ben Bywater
Peter Kielty
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

feinstei wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:24 pm">4 years ago</span> How well attended was the St. Paul concert? Was the venue full? Any estimates of actual attendance numbers?
I was impressed with the attendance actually. I think the two main, center rows of pews were almost full. The two outer rows less so, but I expected that since most people probably want to see the boys singing at a good angle. I don't know how many people the cathedral actually seats, but there was a good amount in attendance for the wonderful performance and surprise (for me anyway!) signing afterward.
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:32 am">4 years ago</span>
maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:48 am">4 years ago</span>
Beautifully said!

I'll take Smile any day of the week in that head to head :D
Definitely. But "America" is done very well by them and I do not say that for any sort of patriotic reasons; they truly put their unique shine on that song.
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:31 am">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:51 am">4 years ago</span> With that being said, “Poor Little Jesus” was my favorite of the night. Now that shouldn’t be a huge surprise given that every other song should be very familiar (from recordings) to serious long-time fans, so any new song is bound to get extra attention. Luca’s solo was excellent, but the piece itself had a sort of dignified and slightly restrained air about it that made it all the more appealing somehow. It was like you were getting a small taste of something much grander; something which, if you experienced it, would be too much to handle, a light too bright…..or something like that. This song literally gave my goosebumps.
Thanks for the report, we told you it was good. Just wait until you hear I Saw Three Ships on the new CD!
I never doubted you. Can't wait! :D
LuxVenit wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:58 pm">4 years ago</span>
feinstei wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:24 pm">4 years ago</span> How well attended was the St. Paul concert? Was the venue full? Any estimates of actual attendance numbers?
I was impressed with the attendance actually. I think the two main, center rows of pews were almost full. The two outer rows less so, but I expected that since most people probably want to see the boys singing at a good angle. I don't know how many people the cathedral actually seats, but there was a good amount in attendance for the wonderful performance and surprise (for me anyway!) signing afterward.
Considering that the seating capacity of the Cathedral is roughly 3,000 there was no way that they were going to get that sort of attendance - only in east Asia can attendance at those levels be expected. With that said, the attendance was solid.
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Thanks for the attendance and seating information/numbers. Yes, 3,000 would be quite a feat, especially in little Minnesota. I'm still happy with the turnout, and hope it encourages Libera to make the Twin Cities a regular tour stop!
Last edited by LuxVenit on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

After an amazing weekend in St Paul, here is my concert review for you all. I arrived in the area early and was able to tour the cathedral before hand. It was really quite incredible, with stained glass windows which accented the multicolored lighting during the concert. The acoustics were not quite as resonant as other cathedrals I have been in, but there was a two or three second echo, and the sound was able to fill the large space well.

I did notice, however, that the choir relied on microphones in order to bring out a balanced sound between each of the separate choir parts. People familiar with choral singing will know that higher sounds carry further, and so the lower vocal parts are not heard as easily.

During the concert, the lower vocal parts were amplified distinctly through the microphones and projected through the left speaker. This makes sense, as the boys who are threes are generally standing on the left side of the stage. However, since I was sitting towards the left of the stage, the blending between all of the voice parts was often not great at my position in the audience. This did not detract very much from my experience of the concert, as I was able to hear separate boys’ voices well.

The lower parts not only extend depth, beauty, and body to the full choir sound, they also ground the pitch. Many of the higher parts are difficult to sing in tune, and so the lower parts are often the anchor points for making sure the sound is centered and accurate.

There were man highlights for me. Firstly, the boys singing the high first trebles had a great night. Four boys were consistently singing the high notes: Sam, Daniel, Neo, and Luca. The four usually stood together in the rightmost point of the stage. This is two more boys than usual, but I suspect Robert wants to train more young boys to be able to sing these high parts for the future. They did not overpower the sound too much.
I could see Sam leading the other boys. I noticed one particular moment where Sam had come in with his note on time, and the other three were just a little bit late. I was very impressed that the other three managed to match pitch and blend the very second they started to sing along with Sam. All four boys had perfect blend, and were very in tune throughout the concert. I look forward to seeing more high note singing from Neo and Daniel, as they have not yet had solo vocalises. Sam and Luca had incredible performances, and will be mentioned below.

A second highlight for me was the blend of the entire choir. While Libera has always had a good blend, tonight I noticed it and paid attention to it more. I was particularly impressed with the blend in Voca Me and Poor Little Jesus, and these were some of my favorite songs this concert. Tonight, though the soloists were spectacular, it was the choir as a whole that wowed me the most. Perhaps it was the cathedral itself that contributed to their blend. But considering the acoustic blending manufactured by the sound professionals, It seems it is the boys themselves who were able to produce such a whole sound. It is telling that my biggest gripe was the positioning near the left speakers which ruined the blend of the choir, yet my highlight was the blend of the choir. It goes to show llibera’s extraordinary talent.

The boys were also looking and indicating mistakes to each other less so than they used to. This was slightly less distracting for me, and I think it just comes and goes with the culture of the choir as established by the current boys. This crop seems to stay focused on their own singing instead of communicating with other boys.

I enjoyed meeting fans from around the world. Around me, there were people from New York, Japan, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Poland. In just one little corner. After the concert I was glad to meet many forum members. I would like to especially thank surpinto and andmar for being very welcoming and inviting. Meeting you all made my trip so much more worthwhile!

Onto the concert proper.

I love Veni Creator Spiritus, and Dominik began very unassuming, in a humble tone. His voice seemed kind and gentle, and he was soon joined by eight other boys in a similar fashion. Like plainsong, I found the lullaby comforting and relaxing. Compared to the choir two years ago at my last concert, the sound was more pure and young sounding. I think this is due to the average age of the choir being slightly lower than it used to be. There are a lot of 10 to 11 year olds in the current group, with many promising soloists. None of the current soloists were soloing two years ago. This is good for the future of the choir, I look forward to seeing them develop.

Next came a direct transition to Orinoco Flow. It was upbeat as usual, and the call and response in the song was a little less distinct than usual. This is probably due to the young average age of the choir meaning the boys’ voices are less developed and differentiated. The sound was still of excellent quality, however.

Following a quick transition to Sanctus, the boys really came into their sound and expanded and lifted their singing. In this song, I noticed the great blend between the high notes (Sam was excellent and really matched his voice to the group) as well as between the other parts.

Due to sound mixing, the threes stood out to me in this song, and I realized how essential they were to the success of the song. I also noticed Koji really seemed earnest and joyful in his singing during this song. I saw genuine appreciation from him. Sam also has a unique quirk where he tilts his head when he sings the highest notes, just like big brother Gabe.

Then came Angele Dei. Dominik stepped forward and began, very hesitantly. His voice was beautiful, and very strong, especially in the tuning of the highest notes. However, he seemed uncertain about his singing. His breath was somewhat shallow. I assure you all that his voice and ability are excellent. The overall sound of the choir was full and quiet. The dynamics and the lilt of the sound was well done, with every other syllable accented and expanding, then contracting. Blending again was well done.

Daniel walked forward for The Prayer. I was impressed with the richness and resonance of his voice in the lowest note when he sings “And watch us where we go”. Even a year ago he had similar depth, and it has only gotten better. Really impressive for only 10 years old. In his lower register his tone quality reminds me of a treble boy at his prime, on par with Isaac at age 12 and 13. His high register, while also beautiful, I feel like is still developing. His pitch is good in higher registers, but his sound is slightly pulled back in his nasal passage. I am sure his voice will become more expansive and carry more weight as he gets older. I am looking forward to where he will be as he grows.

Tadgh took on Salve Regina next. Hearing his voice for the very first time, I was impressed with his gentle vibrato and his warmth of tone. Similar to Dominik, he was somewhat hesitant and uncertain in his singing. In his final notes, it seemed his breath support was not strong enough to allow him to finish strongly, and he looked a little dissappointed at the end of his solo. I however, thought his solo was full of expression and done wonderfully. I made sure to tell him I enjoyed it during signing. I met another fan who thought Tadgh’s voice was the best of the concert. Congrats to him. The choir as a whole really brought emotion and expressiveness to this song, and I enjoyed it for that reason.

Next smiley, engaging, enthusiastic Victor was up with From A Distance. While the rest of the soloists had been slightly hesitant and having trouble with breath control, Victor was immune to nerves. Ever since he was a mini boy, he has always had his charm and smile, and hasn’t lost it since. The confidence really showed in his singing. He brought his upbeat personality into his voice and he matched the hopeful song perfectly. I loved his performance, but his pitch, rhythm, and singing was for me, some of the best of the concert. The choir was great at the beginning of the song, which is my favorite part. The dissonance between the notes makes a shimmery chord, and they pull it off so well. I also really enjoy when the choir sings in unison “you look like my friend even though we are at war”. Then, a group of younger boys comes in with the next verse, adding to the innocence of the words.

Mr Victor set a tone of confidence for the rest of the night. I noticed that from then on, the choir had settled into the venue and the first concert of the tour. Soloists were more comfortable from here on out.

Oliver and Sam began on Stay With Me. They are both perfect for the song. Oliver had great tone which reminds me of honey. It is young sounding, light and heavy at the same time. It is very smooth. Sam’s vocalises were in tune and perfect.

Next was Angel. Daniel was even better on this than The Prayer, he sounded more confident (in part thanks to Victor) and really embraced the range of the song. As mentioned earlier, his tone is impressive both low, mid, and high range. He is one of the four high firsts, and I hope to hear more of his high range soon. I can see him having a song like Ralph’s The Fountain which requires a huge range.

Voca Me was one of the best songs of the concert. In the signing line, three or four boys told me this was their highlight of the concert as well. For such a difficult song, the pitch, blend, volume, was all perfect. It was only during the intermission that I learned Luca was the one who did the high vocalise. I was seriously impressed. He is better than Tom at his age, his vocalises has great tone and volume, his pitch was not perfect, but so good for such a high part. In the future I see him tackling enormously difficult pieces, if he can do one of the hardest libera soloes ever at just age nine. He is a prodigy. The last Voca Me was subdued and strong, and it was a wonderful end to this song. The audience clapped extra long after this one. The lighting emphasized the climax, and was particularly well matched for this mood-piece.

Joyful Joyful was another song that highlighted the high notes, and the choir sang with definite joy. Koji, once again, had an earnest smile on his face, as did Daniel. It is usually not my favorite song, but I found the live version very compelling

Part 2 to come.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you for your detailed review ! :D Can't wait to read the second part. I could hear each song as you described the emotion, very powerful !
I saw you mentioned the group from "two years ago", was that the last time you attended a Libera concert ?