2018 US Summer Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: 2018 US Summer Tour

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I haven't been able to find any reviews/comments online about the San Francisco concert, except for a couple of one sentence reactions. Also, was Amie Hill able to make it to the concert?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm">5 years ago</span> I haven't been able to find any reviews/comments online about the San Francisco concert, except for a couple of one sentence reactions. Also, was Amie Hill able to make it to the concert?
Yes, the charming Amie Hill was there and it was a pleasure to meet her and to be able to thank her in person for her wonderful Libera timeline resource.

The venue was magnificent, the sound and lighting were superb. There was a good sized enthusiastic and appreciative audience.

As for the performances what more is there to say? They just get better and better. Difficult to pinpoint highlights as there were so many but Rocco's "In Paradisum" and Ben B's "Eternal Light" stood out for me.

The signing was a little wild as the tables were not long enough to accommodate all the boys and no chairs had been provided. Nevertheless, despite the late hour and having to stand in the cramped space the boys maintained their good humour and geniality.

All in all a great evening. Next stop LA.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 am">5 years ago</span> I saw Alessandro and an unknown adult man filming the Plano, TX concert with a large video camera.
:lol: Ah, sorry for the chuckle. Some of us know who the "unkown adult man" is. He does most the snaps and sometimes short promotional videos of the USA tours. :D
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Thanks, John, for your kind words and mini-review of the SF concert. I'm still reveling in the memory of my first live concert after all these years. I wasn't prepared for how much better they are in person! I very much enjoyed meeting you, Nick, Patrick, Lauren, Yumiko and others, and I'm hoping that the boys (and you)will be able to return to SF next year.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 pm">5 years ago</span> Thanks, John, for your kind words and mini-review of the SF concert. I'm still reveling in the memory of my first live concert after all these years. I wasn't prepared for how much better they are in person! I very much enjoyed meeting you, Nick, Patrick, Lauren, Yumiko and others, and I'm hoping that the boys (and you)will be able to return to SF next year.
So glad you were able to enjoy yourself after so long. After re-posting others reviews and information for so many years, I am greatly looking forward to finally reading your review of the concert! :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 pm">5 years ago</span> Thanks, John, for your kind words and mini-review of the SF concert. I'm still reveling in the memory of my first live concert after all these years. I wasn't prepared for how much better they are in person! I very much enjoyed meeting you, Nick, Patrick, Lauren, Yumiko and others, and I'm hoping that the boys (and you)will be able to return to SF next year.
I'm glad they put on a good show for you Amie - it's true, you never forget your first! I know you said you wouldn't write a review but any chance of your thoughts & observations? What was different from your expectations?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 am">5 years ago</span>
I'm glad they put on a good show for you Amie - it's true, you never forget your first! I know you said you wouldn't write a review but any chance of your thoughts & observations? What was different from your expectations?
I second Yorkie here: If you don't feel like writing a full extended review, that's ok, as it's a lot of work, but to read just a few of your impressions would be greatly appreciated and very interesting! :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Thanks, everyone. Here are some thoughts in general on the San Francisco concert.

1. As soon as it was over, I wanted to see the whole thing again. Or go on to the next concert. It more than exceeded my expectations. This is, as someone said, another "golden age" for Libera.
2. I was very impressed by the number of soloists, and the fact that they were all of such high quality and well-chosen for the parts they sang.
3. "In Paradisum" is a winner; can't wait to hear it again.
4. Love the new "Sanctus." The hosanna chorus gives it a lightness and sweetness that beautifully offsets the really high parts.
5. "Voca Me" seems to have taken on a new, more lyrical quality with its translation into all-Latin. I like it.
6. The speeches were charming. Alexandre Menuet has great comic timing, as does Peter Kielty.
7. I would change only two things: first, from where I was sitting in Row J, the instruments were a bit too loud, sometimes overpowering the voices at the best parts; and secondly, that extremely awkward moment in "The Prayer" where 31 boys try to get to their feet smoothly from a kneeling position while singing, and the result is a lot of jerking and bobbing and very distracting. That piece of staging IMHO does nothing but distract from the beauty of the song (audience members all around me were giggling).
8. As many people have said, "Nearer My God to Thee" was astoundingly beautiful, and I very much hope Libera will post a YouTube of it, as they did with "Danny Boy."
9. I loved seeing and meeting (and hugging) people who had formerly been friends online only.
10. It was an experience I'll never forget.
Last edited by Amie_Hill on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Protiusmime

Re: Amie Hill - St Ignatius Cathedral Review

Post by Protiusmime »

@Amie Hill - Thank you for your review and feedback on the Libera SF concert. Even more, it was a pleasure and honor to meet you. It is amazing that after so many years of dedication and skillful detail you have given to documenting Libera's Time line that you finally were able to see them in person. I am equally happy for you. I have referred to your work many times. It should be required reading for everyone who follows Libera! Thank you again, Amie, and a blessing to talk with you. I hope to see you again at Libera.
Chuck Marshall
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

Hey all!

For those of you attending tonight's concert I want to welcome you to Los Angeles (try not to melt). The LA Cathedral is amazing, if you get a chance to walk around I highly encourage you to do so! It's one of my favorite places, and is my cathedral to boot! Enjoy the concert! My dad and I will both be there.
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm">5 years ago</span>
henrylonghorn wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:44 am">5 years ago</span> Libera's concert in Plano was phenomenal! This is my third concert since San Antonio 2015 and Tulsa 2017, and it's certainly surpassed my highest expectations!
Excellent! :D I remember when you posted about your first concerts and how glad you were to have attended. It sounds like this concert was even better; so glad to hear it. They're really good aren't they?

Your choice of favorite songs is definitely a good one and it sounds like they were in top form - even more so than San Antonio. :D Thank you so much for your review, it was a pleasure to read!
Really nothing has changed despite it being the third or fourth concert - they are always trending upward, and the excitement never dies!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:10 am">5 years ago</span>
henrylonghorn wrote: <span title="Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:44 am">5 years ago</span> The fact that so many boys are having a chance at a solo or two, and executing them well, is telling of the superb quality of this group.
I do love that many boys get to soloing. :D That variety is a great delight for the ears!
And then they all find together to a choir with its everlasting typical Libera sound, but soloing you see that everyone has something personal to offer with his singing.
I totally agree, and that is very well said! :D
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

It's hard to believe it, but I actually made it to St. Ignatius - for the second half at least! I will put my story in another post as it's not exactly on topic (feel free to share your crazy Libera travel stories there also.) Below is my review of the concert, typed up during late nights after work, so please excuse any errors. :D

Having just experienced the Libera magic in Plano two days ago, I walked in with knowledge about the songs. Thus, I spent a lot attention trying to pick up details that hopefully might be interesting to anyone who couldn't attend.

The second half started with "I am the Day," which unfortunately saw some miscues, with some boys starting their sections just a bit too early. I suspect it's due to them just coming back from break, and that the boys who weren't singing had to keep their heads down. Nonetheless, they managed to hold together, culminating in a thrillingly high "in aeterna."

"From a Distance" was fantastic, period. Merlin had full control of his voice and hit his notes precisely. After the second verse, the orchestra began to join in, and the intermingling harmonies of the voices and instruments brought emotions to a climax. I was on the edge of the seat until the very end.

Eimear's intro to "Wayfaring Stranger" set almost a somber mood, and Alex G's deep yet rounded voice added to that as well. Great delivery by all, and the dramatic change in dynamics was even more emphasized by the church's acoustics.

"Amazing Grace" was performed in the usual manner with boys kneeling in two circles. Peter, as with the older soloists, had great control. The audience certainly felt the emotions coming through thanks to his beautiful high notes. I hope we get to hear more of Peter's solos.

"Sanctus" starts as the familiar tune. Then, when you least expect it, the surprise comes - a new verse whose tune is closer to the original Canon. Hence Sanctus III was born. Just kidding - according to the program, it's still called Sanctus, and the lyrics of the new verse was not provided; I could only make out "coeli et terra gloria" and "in excelsis." Then it kind of repeats, and the song ends on the new verse. I like it better than the previous versions, as this somehow evokes a feeling of family, as in a large happy gathering or reunion. I also found out that Rocco and Leo shared one of the more high-range melodies.

"Salva Me" was done rather faithfully to the original. Nonetheless, the live version delivered more excitement than a CD recording, thanks to the echoing effect on Oliver WR's salvas and the dynamics of the live orchestra, especially the percussionist's drum beats. Although I don't recall many details of Oliver WR's performance, I think it's an accomplishment in itself to be designated the "salva" singer because of the range and the need to be right on cue. Also , as it has been in Libera's history, the "salva" singers often end up as one of the greats.

"Eternal Light" has been one of my favorites of the set list, for the melody is enchanting and the message uplifting. Ben B took Stefan's solo part effortlessly, and his voice was just as beautiful. Also, the high descants near the end of the song were simply ethereal; someone please find out for us who did those parts!

In total agreement with previous comments, I'm really looking forward to a recording of "Nearer My God to Thee". No orchestra, no effects, just pure voices from the top soloists (Merlin, Ben B, Alex M, Alex G, Rocco, Leo) of today. Leo delivered the highest part with his exceptionally crystal-clear voice, which reminds me of Tom DL. I cannot wait to hear more from him.

"Libera" also retained the original form. Surprisingly, Alex M was still able to do the high "aeterna" right before "libera," despite his now matured voice. The bass from the orchestra was very strong, almost drowning the voices.

Having received a thunderous applause and a standing ovation, the boys appeared more than excited to deliver the encore "America the Beautiful." Individual voices such as, I think, Leo's, came out fortissimo and made rounds across the church. It could be a sound mixing issue, but my more interesting hypothesis is that some boys were competing to be the loudest, especially in the latter half of the song. Everyone just looked ebullient and cheerful.

For this concert, if I may, I nominate three boys as the "Smile of Libera": Victor, Leo, and Daniel W. Tadhg also gets a special mention because I noticed how expressive he was on stage and how much he enjoys singing right there, in the moment. He's probably been a part of so many concerts that he was no longer nervous, just sailing away with the wondrous tunes.

After the concert, merchandise sales continued, and most of the audience shuffled out of the church, for it was already 10 P.M. and there was no announcement of a meet and greet. Those of us who stayed behind for a little longer got to experience an atypical signing session. In a corner next to the main entrance, a few folding tables were set up in a L-shape. No chairs were to be found. The boys streamed in single file from a side entrance and squeezed into the small space. While the youngest boys simply stood, the rest of the poor lads had to kneel behind the tables.

Thankfully there were only maybe fifty of us in the line, so the session lasted only around 30 minutes. While some boys were obviously tired, others had a little too much fun. A few boys, who shall remain unnamed, painted their fingertips with Sharpies with the intention to "sign" programs with fingerprints. When it was my turn, I hurried to tell them that they were using permanent markers that are very hard to wash off. Many of them didn't know that until then. Oops!

In all, the concert was an incredible experience, and the boys performed better than they did at the previous stop. I hope to meet many of you soon in LA!
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

So, how were the acoustics at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels? While I consider the building to be an architectural monstrosity (especially considering that it's a Catholic cathedral), I've heard that the acoustics are good.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

The concert in LA was my first Libera concert across the pond and in some ways it felt like my first ever Libera concert. There were so many impressions and it all went by in a flash. Also I was seated in the first row, which had not happened since my first concert in 2009. This spot was just perfect and I thank those who helped save my spot in the line!

There was a really good crowd last night, young and old. Not sure if it was sold out but it looked like a full house. The merchandise was set up in the cathedral gift shop (already a few days before the concert) and afterwards it was pretty crowded there, many people buying something to sign in the line-up.

Before I give my impressions of the concert, there is some good news: Nearer my God to Thee was filmed last night! So a recording now exists, however, what will happen to it I don't know. Hopefully we will get to see it someday. Until then, it's very nice to know that those voices have been preserved.

So, concert impressions!

Mysterium started off and I was still bewildered to be where I was :) The ooh's in the intro sounded lovely and mysterious and Leo's high parts were spot on.

Joyful Joyful sounded good, just very well done. With the lights on the boys' faces I thought I detected some fatigue but it was not audible in their singing.

My first highlight was In Paradisum. There is something about that song that gets to me like very few other songs. Rocco sings his solo crystal clear and with urgency. The first chorus, with the word Jerusalem, really moved me, with the big lights reflecting on the cathedral floor.

The Prayer next, which caused the first wet eyes of the night for me. Daniel is really growing into his role on the stage and it's obvious he's enjoying every bit of it.

Stay With Me was the song I hoped for most and Oliver sang his solo wonderfully. His voice has a clear shine to it which reminds me of gold. He delivers his solo in his own style, very controlled and centered. The high parts by Sam formed a nice pairing with that. All in all a great fresh take on this Libera classic.

Ave Maria followed and this felt like a genuine prayer to me. Merlin sang with calm and great sensitivity and the choir sounded exceptionally powerful and colourful. Again wet eyes.

No time to recover as How Great Thou Art followed which also has emotional meaning to me. Alex G was able to bring that to life with his beautiful deep round voice.

After this rollercoaster of emotion Smile was a welcome gentle breather, enhanced beautiully by Alex M's deep notes.

The first half finished with this theme of contrast, with Voca Me and Orinoco Flow. Voca was performed flawlessly and the buildup to the climax took my breath away - more than any other time I heard this song live.
Orinoco was sung with joy and gusto and again the choir sounded very colourful. A great, fun, beautiful piece of music.

Just like at Ely, the interval came after what only felt like five minutes :)

I Am The Day was great, all the dynamics were there. By now I noticed how rich the range of expression of this generation is. At one point the "alpha and omega" was sung so delicately I had the image of feathers floating on water, a sensation which was repeated in a couple of other songs.

From a Distance followed, sung very much 'together'. Merlin seemed to really enjoy this solo. A great effort by all.

Then probably the greatest highlight of the concert came for me, at least in terms of emotion: Wayfaring stranger. This song got to me more than any other and carried significant meaning into my heart. Alex Gula, thank you for your beautiful, incredible solo.

Amazing Grace was sung elegantly and Peter's solo was lovely - like most of the performances this tour his solo has grown since Ely. Peter's voice is very gentle, as was Ralph's or Michael H's.

Sanctus was performed to perfection. I just love this new arrangement!

Salva next, with wonderful Salva's by Oliver WR in the mysterious dark blue light.

Eternal Light next - was there no end to the treats they were giving us? Almost not :) I remember the clarinet sounding especially beautiful in this song and in fact the musicians deserve a mention as well. In the acoustics of the cathedral the music and the voices blended wonderfully, with just the right accent here and there, like the horn in America the Beautiful or the plucking strings in Ave Maria.

Then it was time for Nearer my God to Thee. Just thinking back on hearing the voices a capella and how they blended one by one gives me a sensation of goosebumps and a lump in my throat.

Libera signalled the end of the concert. It was the one song I have the least connection to so for me it did not feel like the grand finale it was probably intended to be. Or maybe I just started to feel sad it was almost over.

After a standing ovation America the Beautiful began and it was a joy to watch Dominic's beaming face as he sang that song with all his heart :)

Another standing ovation including a slightly bewildered Robert on stage, hailed as "maestro!" from the crowd.

What came next was my first ever proper M&G which is an experience in itself :) I was able to thank Oliver and others for their performances. Special mention goes to Koji. He had mentioned in his speech how this was his first time so far away from home. So I told him that being in LA was for me the furthest I have ever been away from home and that I had travelled just to hear them sing. His reaction was priceless, completely "shocked" and smiling :) Also, Leo said "Respect!" when I told him I had come from the Netherlands and wrote that on my program :)

Also nice was Ben B's question which song I liked best - I loved how he threw me off by asking that :) Also I was not allowed to say Nearer my God or America the Beautiful :) I finally settled for Wayfaring stranger and told him and Oliver who was also listening that it was one of the songs that had brought tears to my eyes.

All in all this was a wonderful concert experience. I am also grateful for meeting some new fans, including ones I had only talked to online before, as well as being introduced to Eleanor Lewis.

Full of memories... And now a few days to let them sink in before the final concert of this tour.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 pm">5 years ago</span> The first half finished with this theme of contrast, with Voca Me and Orinoco Flow. Voca was performed flawlessly and the buildup to the climax took my breath away - more than any other time I heard this song live.

Another standing ovation including a slightly bewildered Robert on stage, hailed as "maestro!" from the crowd.
Do you think the acoustics made the climax of Voca Me even more powerful in this case? I would love to see a video of people shouting out "maestro!" at Robert (along with a video of "Nearer my God to Thee" of course). I know he doesn't like to be the center of attention, but what he's able to do with his singers is a musical miracle in my opinion.