Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: 2018 US Summer Tour

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:50 pm">5 years ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:08 am">5 years ago</span>
I like how they have to clarify the meaning of Catholic in the Apostles' Creed :lol:
I noticed that as well! :lol:
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:08 am">5 years ago</span> The St Andrews Website is a little confusing to me and I see there are two services at once - a traditional and a contemporary. I assume that Libera will be at the traditional service but does anybody know the correct link for the live feed?
I assume the same. The only live-stream link I am aware of is https://www.standrewumc.org/live
Just worries me that it is still showing the next broadcast as the 5.30pm from yesterday (which along with explaining the meaning of Catholic also so shows a misunderstanding of how to display time because 17:30 doesn't require the pm designator after it)...
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I was worried for a while - oh, not getting sound
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, judging by the organ prelude, this is definitely a traditional service. This guy seems like a pretty serious organist.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Mmmhm, that was very moving and calming! :) :) Bravo, Daniel and all Libera.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, sounds pretty good so far. Daniel certainly has the voice for a soloist, and I figure he will continue to improve at controlling his nerves in live performance. The challenging part of a solo such as the one in "The Prayer", which has a slow tempo and requires much restraint in terms of volume, is that it tends to expose even the slightest bit of nervousness in the voice.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
niels

Post by niels »

Is there a way to see it back?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Niels, are you watching right now? Then you can simply rewind and watch it all.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
niels

Post by niels »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:20 pm">5 years ago</span> Niels, are you watching right now? Then you can simply rewind and watch it all.
Nice thanks :D
Noob

Post by Noob »

feinstei wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:00 pm">5 years ago</span> I sponsored this tour.
thanks for doing this!
i can hardly wait till they get to California
There is nothing quite like a sweet treble voice.
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Well well. I haven’t posted here in probably about what...7 years?!

Heading out in a bit to go to the Plano concert! It’s been over 3 years since I was able to see them so I’m super excited!
feinstei

Post by feinstei »

Jenn wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:18 pm">5 years ago</span> Well well. I haven’t posted here in probably about what...7 years?!

Heading out in a bit to go to the Plano concert! It’s been over 3 years since I was able to see them so I’m super excited!
Have a wonderful time and thanks for supporting Libera on their 2018 Summer Tour!!! Every audience member is appreciated...
feinstei

Post by feinstei »

Noob wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:16 pm">5 years ago</span>
feinstei wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:00 pm">5 years ago</span> I sponsored this tour.
thanks for doing this!
i can hardly wait till they get to California
I appreciate the fact that the hardworking parent volunteers and the people at Libera's US branch have put together this tour for us. Thanks for supporting them by coming to the concerts!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

There is a video on YouTube which includes a link to a private site that claims to have a video recording of Libera at St. Andrews. They claim that they could not post the video on YouTube due to copyright constraints. In order to view the video one has to register and leave credit card information, even though the viewing of the video is advertised as free. Personally I'm reluctant to complete the registration. What's the point of taking credit card data if it's free? Does anyone know if this is legit?

I'd love to come to a concert but I just can't find the time. Even when they came to Washington, which is only 3 hours away I couldn't make time. Maybe I will when I retire next year.
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

Libera's concert in Plano was phenomenal! This is my third concert since San Antonio 2015 and Tulsa 2017, and it's certainly surpassed my highest expectations!

First of all, as many of you mentioned previously, this batch of singers is very, very talented. We have the "veterans" such as Alex M, Alex G, Marc, and Camden performing solidly, and soloists such as Merlin, Ben B, Leo, and Rocco who did not disappoint. The fact that so many boys are having a chance at a solo or two, and executing them well, is telling of the superb quality of this group. Even the youngest boys on their first USA tour deserve many rounds of applause. They are more than stage-ready and supported the treble sections precisely.

Many of the songs have been refreshed from their CD forms or from the versions previously performed live. Sometimes I had to go - "hmm, did this boy sing the wrong notes" - only to realize the music and lyrics had been changed. I appreciate the changes, as songs like Sanctus that had been performed ad nauseam are now revitalized.

It's hard to pick favorites, but the songs that I particularly enjoyed are: (1) Eternal Light, because this is my first time hearing it live and it's very uplifting thanks to Ben B's solo, (2) Nearer my God to Thee, for the impeccable 6-people acappella, and (3) Smile, for it's moving message and the terrific high/low voice duet by Victor and Alex M.

I give my special applause to Daniel W for his super solo in "The Prayer." He had gigantic shoes to fill, and has done so beyond belief. And can you believe he's only 9! Same can be said for Victor in "Smile."

Lastly, many heartfelt thanks for all the fans and supporters who have made this tour possible. Though a donor myself, I know there are many more great individuals who have contributed far more both financially and time-wise. Moreover, I saw signs that suggest Libera might be running this tour on a tight budget. Let's keep it up and give these boys many more chances to tour the USA!
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

Just returned from the concert in Plano and it was beautiful. There were quite a few new faces from the 2017 Houston show and it was a pleasure to see the changes and growth in the group. Note that I am using the soloist list printed earlier in this thread since I have such a lousy memory for faces and names! If I inadvertently give a wrong name for a particular solo-I apologize.

Unfortunately, it was not a great night for a couple of the older soloist - maybe they were tired, had too much Texas heat, had too much fun this afternoon, or perhaps it is due to that wonderful, mysterious time of life for a young man, but a couple of them seemed to be struggling with range, breath support, etc. Never-the-less, they stuck it out and performed the best they could as they made vital contributions to the performance.

As in any live concert (let alone one by a group of young boys!) there were a few slight problems balancing instruments, harmonies, and soloist or melody lines. I was seated in the tenth row so it may have been better further back. It is a tribute to the performers that they were able to carry on through these minor adversities and stun the audience with their musicality and poise. For example, on one song in the second half, there was a miscue with the instruments before the singers entered. Dr. Prizeman had to stop the music and begin again. It did not phase the boys at all. I didn't notice one of them even bat an eye at the problem. Discipline and practice led the way!

Just a few highlights of the evening:

The opener (Myterium) was fantastic. I had never heard it before and was amazed. It was ethereal and haunting with enchanting and wonderful harmonies and a great solo by Leo.

There was a switch in the program with The Prayer being performed before In Paradisum.

The arrangement for Sanctus was new and hopefully will be on the new release. It is different and follows the original piece more closely. It was very enjoyable to hear!

As has been said by some who were at the San Antonio concert - it would certainly be a shame if the sextet on Nearer My God To Thee were not recorded. It certainly was one of the highlights of the entire evening and it is possible that some of these performers may not be with Libera very much longer (at least in a performing capacity). The audience certainly loved it and appreciated the work of these gifted singers.

I believe that one of the greatest moments of the night was the encore of America the Beautiful! From the moment they began the piece, there was an intensity and brilliance to it that the audience was enthralled. The performer's faces seemed to shine with love and appreciation for the audience's response to their efforts and dedication to their art The group received a resounding standing ovation that continued for several minutes during which they boys took several bows before leaving the stage.

As always, the Meet and Greet was another highlight of the evening. Getting to know a few of the newer boys was great. Of course, they were all perfect gentlemen and captivated those in line who had never been to one of their concerts before. For those of us who have experienced this Libera Phenomenon before, it still amazes us what cultured young men they are.

I can only hope and pray that they are received at their other performance venues with an equal amount of respect and appreciation!