2018 US Summer Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

tom413
Gold Member

Re: 2018 US Summer Tour

Post by tom413 »

henrylonghorn wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:51 am">5 years ago</span> "Eternal Light" has been one of my favorites of the set list, for the melody is enchanting and the message uplifting. Ben B took Stefan's solo part effortlessly, and his voice was just as beautiful. Also, the high descants near the end of the song were simply ethereal; someone please find out for us who did those parts!

"Libera" also retained the original form. Surprisingly, Alex M was still able to do the high "aeterna" right before "libera," despite his now matured voice. The bass from the orchestra was very strong, almost drowning the voices.
I'm pretty sure Leo delivered the lead descant on Eternal Light. On this tour, when those notes were sung it was best to look to Leo, Sam, Dominik and Rocco to find your singer.

The Libera Aeterna high notes were actually supplied by Sam. He was quite proud of this and went out of his way to point out this contribution to me in San Antonio so I wouldn't miss it on future stops in the tour. He did a great job with his featured roles in all shows.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Just got done reading through this thread. A perfect way to close the book on the summer tour. Thanks to all who wrote their impressions of the concerts it helped me remember some of the good times that were shared this time out.

What stood out for me in this tour was being introduced to a number of new soloists and featured singers. Remembering the rocky transition after the "graduation" of Tom Cully and his cohorts, it's comforting to know the future is being prepared for and will be in good hands.

I found myself looking back with a bit of sentimentality toward some choristers who I believe may have sung their last note as Libera. WIth 31 members on tour, Japan will either be a smaller group or there will be turnover.

The venues although different were all good places to host a concert. This tour was amazingly consistent in the level of performance (although I thought CC was the best). Apart from a slow start at one of the shows (which did have a very solid finish to help make up for that), all the concerts were artistically successful. Any of these shows would have been a good one to attend.

Individual performers who caught my eye and ear this time around were:

Daniel due to his incredible sense of composure for a singer so young and inexperienced.

Dominik and Tadhg for their expressive singing. These two are a joy to watch live.
Dominik's role in Mysterium hints that he might be in line for an increased workload as time goes on,
Tadhg is already a featured harmonist

Sam for his enthusiastic, powerful, singing particularly on the high parts

Oliver W-R who, apart from Salva, had no showy bits, but was delivering solid support on many songs

Alex G not only for his well delivered solos, but for his leadership in trying to improve the quality of the show.
At one venue we were able to attend soundcheck and I noticed Alex offering his input. Perhaps a future stage manager some day.

Victor's Smile was the most moving song for me in SF - not sure why...sometimes a performance just has that effect on you.

Leo's descants and Rocco's power notes were a solid memory from this tour.

I was very excited to hear Ben B elevated to his soloist role in his 4th season...he did very well and I hope for more next year.

Ben W gets a special shoutout for his gregariousness in the M&G's

There were also some special fan moments with Patrick and John marking their 100th concerts and having that milestone noted by the boys who signed commemorative Libera bandanas as keepsakes and Maarten attending his first intercontinental concerts. On a personal level, I also have to express my thanks to Chuck (Protiusmime) for his kindness in providing me with a nice jacket in chilly San Francisco.
Some of my enthusiasm for continuing to attend more shows in the future is the opportunity to spend time with superfans like these who have become friends.

No surprise that Nearer My God to Thee was the best song experience for me in the tour. In particular at Plano because the 6 were moved out almost in front of the audience. It made a special song even more so for those fortunate enough to be seated in front.

I look forward now to what Mr. Prizeman and staff will develop for the Japanese tour. I can't wait.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for the highlights, Tom! Seeing multiple concerts gave you an opportunity to really see exactly who sings what and to miss none of the small details. I agree that several of them, especially the ones you mention, sing very expressively and can be a joy to watch.

And my curiosity is equally piqued with what, if any, changes will occur in Japan especially in light of the fact that Ely and the US tour were nearly identical.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

I spoke with two or three fans at the concerts I attended and there was concern among them that some of the boys not on this tour had left Libera. Missing one concert doesn't signal a departure. Summer is the boys longest Term break and I'm sure some of those families have made plans for family holidays. I would wait to see who is on the Japan tour in October. If the same boys missing on the summer tour are missing on the Japan tour then, yes, it's a good indicator they've moved on. But, having said that, It's not always the case.

tom413 wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 pm">5 years ago</span> I found myself looking back with a bit of sentimentality toward some choristers who I believe may have sung their last note as Libera. WIth 31 members on tour, Japan will either be a smaller group or there will be turnover.

I agree with Tom here. This was possibly the last tour for some :( and, I'm anticipating a smaller group in Japan. It's at this time (start of the new school year), it seems, that the biggest changes occur in Libera's membership and I am always somewhat apprehensive about who has left. I'm curious as to how many of the back row will stay, although, these changes do occur across the entire choir at this time regardless of age.

Next stop, Japan.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Thanks to all those who have shared their remembrances of this exceptionally wonderful tour.

I probably should not relate this anecdote but I will anyway. As has been noted by Tom, I attended my 100th concert on this tour. To make it a little special, I made some gift bags with US souvenirs for the boys. I am well aware that Libera wisely do not encourage edible or monetary gifts for the boys, and prefer that gifts are not distributed at a signing but rather given to Libera staff for inspection and approval. However on this special occasion, I felt I might depart from the accepted practice and included dollar bills of differing denominations in the thank-you cards. The distribution of the cards by unknowing Libera staff was completely random so there could be no suggestion of favouritism. My feeling was that it would be kind of fun for the boys to receive the different amounts, and for one unknown boy, like Charlie finding the golden ticket for Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, to find the only $50 dollar bill.

Guess what happened? The boys themselves, including the recipient of the $50 decided that the money should be pooled and distributed evenly.

Is that team spirit or what? I am truly humbled by these wonderful boys and their mentors from whom the world could surely learn a lot.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Thanks John45, for that wonderful and encouraging anecdote.

I believe you can take comfort that those of us reading it here are devoted enough to Libera to respect their wishes when it comes to gifts, etc.

How fortuitous, though, that your exercise actually provided an unscripted opportunity for us to appreciate, once again, the family atmosphere that the Libera staff (and experience) help to create.

This might have been more notable coming from some other random group of boys, but honestly it's not 'that' surprising, coming from Libera.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Looking back over the reviews I don't see a mention of Cassius Collard which I think should be remedied. He was the youngest of the touring group (inheriting that distinction from Laurence Taylor) and also one of the most engaging at the signing sessions - in the tradition of his namesake Cassius O'Connell-White. No concert solos from him this time around, but having heard his delightful solo contributions at St. P's I am sure we will not have to wait long for a full concert solo.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 am">5 years ago</span> ...

Guess what happened? The boys themselves, including the recipient of the $50 decided that the money should be pooled and distributed evenly.

Is that team spirit or what? I am truly humbled by these wonderful boys and their mentors from whom the world could surely learn a lot.
John, thanks a lot for sharing that wonderful story with us. I've known Libera for a relatively short period of time and I'm still amazed by the group. Not only by their wonderful, unique music but equally by the way they are, by the way they feel like one Libera family, by the way they can be humble and well-mannered while staying joyful kids at the same time, by their professionalism and team work. The highest respect to the whole Libera staff who are able to create and keep a group like this.

Stories like this one contribute a lot to the overall enjoyment of Libera. Thank you again for sharing.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

john45 wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 am">5 years ago</span> Thanks to all those who have shared their remembrances of this exceptionally wonderful tour.

I attended my 100th concert on this tour.
Congratulations on your 100th Libera concert! It must be awesome to see Libera perform in so many beautiful venues around the world. It was nice meeting you for the first time in the 2018 USA concerts in Plano, TX and Christ Cathedral. I am Elaine, the one that called you Patrick. I did because of the picture I saw in Amie Hill's Libera Historical Timeline 10, where, during the 2017 Japan tour meet and greet in Tokyo, you had your picture taken in front of 20 Libera boys. The caption under the picture says "Patrick gets his picture", even though it was you on the photo. :D
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

john45 wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 am">5 years ago</span> Guess what happened? The boys themselves, including the recipient of the $50 decided that the money should be pooled and distributed evenly.Is that team spirit or what? I am truly humbled by these wonderful boys and their mentors from whom the world could surely learn a lot.
I am not surprised. The first time I met the Libera boys I noticed they are all so well mannered, good natured, polite and friendly. Their dedication and hard work is inspiring. Even though they are outstanding singers, they are humble and grateful when you tell them how great their singing was. They treat each other like real brothers should. They are affectionate to each other and some are clearly good friends. It is always a joy to be able to meet them. Mr. Prizeman, the boys parents, and the other adults involved with Libera have given us not just exceptional singers, but also fantastic young men. I agree with you, the world's children can learn a lot from Libera.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Libera showed consideration with our endless imploring - here it is, the "object of desire". Taken from the concert as of 03.08.2018 at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles.

Great thank you to Libera!
:D :!: :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

It's the middle of the night now but I'm so excited that the recording, in decent quality, is finally published for fans around the world! :D

I truly hope that many others may stumble upon the wonderful music of Libera as they search for this hymn. Libera deserves a much greater following given its quality and uniqueness.

With multiple camera angles shown in the video, it's possible that more videos from this concert may become published. Fingers crossed!
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
Noob

Post by Noob »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 pm">5 years ago</span> Libera showed consideration with our endless imploring - here it is, the "object of desire". Taken from the concert as of 03.08.2018 at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles.

Great thank you to Libera!
:D :!: :D
filia rheni.......thank you SO MUCH for posting this!!
that concert was only the 2nd Libera show i have ever attended.
my God was that one beautiful performance.
There is nothing quite like a sweet treble voice.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

To John45 and egorbea: Sorry for the case of mistaken identity (I got my screenshots switched). John is now correctly identified in the photo taken with the boys during the 2017 Japan tour in Part 10 of the Timeline (I hadn't yet met him and Patrick, which I was pleased to do at the San Francisco concert this year). I always appreciate such corrections. Thanks!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:29 pm">5 years ago</span> To John45 and egorbea: Sorry for the case of mistaken identity (I got my screenshots switched). John is now correctly identified in the photo taken with the boys during the 2017 Japan tour in Part 10 of the Timeline (I hadn't yet met him and Patrick, which I was pleased to do at the San Francisco concert this year). I always appreciate such corrections. Thanks!
Sorry Amie and Egor Bea, but the person in the timeline photo is actually John Henderson. Aside from having the same first name I am surprised that we should be mistaken one for the other. John H is almost two feet taller than I am, whereas I am several inches wider than he. I am also the better looking.