Libera Concert in China (2017)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Libera Concert in China (2017)

Post by Surpinto »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:40 am">6 years ago</span> Thank you John & f_d_L for the reviews :)
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 am">6 years ago</span>Victor did the Moon solo?! I would never have guessed that; it is extremely unexpected given his young age and the brief time that he has been with the choir. If at this present time he is already recording solos then the sky moon is the limit for what he has in store for us going forward.
Reading this I can't help but think about Isaac who was given the ending of Himig Ng Pasko back in 2011, 3 months after he joined the touring group. Let's hope for Victor the same "career" in Libera :)

However the record may be held by Romeo Tesei, who could be heard on the ending of Carol of the Bells in St George's (2016) - only his second concert :)
Good point, Furby! And thank you for identifying the choristers with your photo. :D
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Thank you for the information of Oliver,Andmar.
I went to French Libera site and Oliver is just like an angel.
All Libera's boys are angels,too.
I think he may have more opportunities to sing in solo now.

I know that my wish won't come true, but I'd like to hear Alessandro or Isaac like boys in charge of bass singing solo.
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

This has been an exciting tour so far! Thanks to our intrepid traveling fans, we have been kept up to date about the concerts and the venues and the new soloists. John and Patrick, thank you for the reviews and updates. I'm happy for (user)kinda_k00l as this is his first live Libera experience. It must be a thrill for him as it has been for all of us who attended their 'first' Libera concert.

It's nice to see Oliver get a solo on 'Stay With Me'. I like that song and I'm happy to see that it's back on the set list. I'm not sure about this being the first time Oliver has had a personal mic. In St Louis (maybe other concerts in the US as well) he was part of a semi circle of kneeling boys on one of the songs in the second half of the concert. These boys were the focus of that song. Would it not be conceivable that those boys wore mics? Anyway I took that instance as a step forward for Oliver. I wasn't expecting him to get a solo! Well done Lad!
"with a down derry, derry down down"
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Hi Jay,

Only the soloists, deliverers of speeches and the lead support singers are individually miked. If I recall correctly that meant
approximately 16 of the kids had that status in the 2017 spring and summer tours. Oliver was not among them.

It's always nice to hear that someone different had the opportunity to step out front and try a leading role and better still for them
to succeed. Libera is strongest when they have a variety of talented singers who can take the lead.
Replacing Alessandro, Isaac, Tom D-L and Ciaran out front is a difficult task.
Hopefully Ben, Oliver and Victor will be able to continue their predecessors standard of excellence in the future.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

tom413 wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:42 am">6 years ago</span> It's always nice to hear that someone different had the opportunity to step out front and try a leading role and better still for them
to succeed. Libera is strongest when they have a variety of talented singers who can take the lead.
Replacing Alessandro, Isaac, Tom D-L and Ciaran out front is a difficult task.
Hopefully Ben, Oliver and Victor will be able to continue their predecessors standard of excellence in the future.
This has always been and will be so in Libera as in any other boy choir.
It was difficult to find a replacement for Tom, Josh, mini-Ben ...
It was difficult to find a replacement for Stephan, Ralph, ...
It's difficult to find replacement for Isaac, Alessandro, ...
It will be difficult to find replacement for current soloists ....

But Libera is successful in keeping their high standards over the years and always has new talented singers who take the lead. I'm sure, this time it will be the same.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

For those of you not following the twitter running commentary, and for a more permanent record, here are a few notes about the second and third concerts.

The second concert was held at the Jinshan Cultural Centre, a very nice building and facility about 2 hours drive from downtown Shanghai but still very much an urban area. An almost full house (capacity around 600) including many young children enjoyed an excellent concert. Nice acoustics and some very nice lighting effects but otherwise not much new to report about the performances themselves which were all up to the usual high standard. Speeches were longer with familiar content in both Mandarin and English with English translation on side-screens.

Almost the same could be said for concert number three – also about a two drive from downtown Shanghai but in a predominately rural area on Chongming Island in the mouth of the Yangtze river north-east of the city. The facility itself was very similar to Jinshan. The audience composition too, but in this case the children were totally out of control chattering constantly, bouncing around on their seats, rolling on the floor, mimicking Robert’s arm movements - all with the apparent approval of their parents one of whom spent most of the evening talking on her cell-phone with a finger stuck in the other ear to block out the obviously annoying music. It was a huge test of the boys' concentration which they passed with flying colours. True professionals as they are, it didn't affect their performance - only our enjoyment.

Hoping for a more sophisticated audience tonight at the Shanghai Symphony Hall.
ludwig1874
Silver Member

Post by ludwig1874 »

Thanks for the Posts, I really enjoy them!
I am working here in China for nearly three years and I also see the behavour of some chinese childs, especially in busses and the underground. Some parents have a "free-style" of education for the childs (they are all liddle Price / princess for them, the can do what they want). I ask myself why they are visit a concert, when they are don`t really interested?? I have seen, that many students in the chinese School where I am working, the parrents carry the schoolbags for their childreen...
I wish I could hear Olivers first solo...
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 am">6 years ago</span> For those of you not following the twitter running commentary, and for a more permanent record, here are a few notes about the second and third concerts.
Thank you John for your short review. Even though I follow the twitter commentary, it's always better to have a more orderly and longer reports here, as twitter messages easily get lost among tons of other stuff.

Thank you for keeping us informed. I'm sure all of us, who are not attending the China tour, appreciate any review and report from the concertgoers.
I hope, more reviews and reports from other attendees will show up here soon.

john45 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 am">6 years ago</span> ... all with the apparent approval of their parents one of whom spent most of the evening talking on her cell-phone with a finger stuck in the other ear to block out the obviously annoying music. It was a huge test of the boys' concentration which they passed with flying colours. True professionals as they are, it didn't affect their performance - only our
Why do some people come to such concerts at all? Did they expect anything else? A show for kindergarten children or something?
It must have been really a special experience for the boys. It still amazes me, how professional they are.

john45 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 am">6 years ago</span> Hoping for a more sophisticated audience tonight at the Shanghai Symphony Hall.
So, the concert on 27th October turned out not to be a private show after all?
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

ludwig1874 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:37 am">6 years ago</span> I wish I could hear Olivers first solo...
You will. You ARE going to Shanghai to attend one or two Libera concerts, aren't you? :?: :)

I hope Oliver will sing his solo also in London in 5 weeks. I'm looking very much forward to hearing him too. :D
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am">6 years ago</span> Thank you John for your short review. Even though I follow the twitter commentary, it's always better to have a more orderly and longer reports here, as twitter messages easily get lost among tons of other stuff.
I totally agree with this 10,000% :D Twitter is great and I love the updates there, but a detailed and comprehensive review which is not scattered across 50 tweets is preferable. John, thank you again for your commentary and review. It is unbelievable that a concert would have such behavior in the audience but I am unable to judge as I do not know what the norms and standards for behavior are in that country or theater. As others have already mentioned it may have been misconstrued by ticket buyers as a concert for children rather than by children.

So glad to hear they powered through it and had a successful concert. Keep us up to date, please! :D
labbie

Post by labbie »

Congratulations to Mr. Prizeman and the boys for their professionalism during the concert performed in front of such an inattentive and impolite audience. I don't know if the audience in that region had any previous experience with attending choral performances at that venue. What I do know is that children can be taught at a very young age (Kindergarten) how to behave at a performance. As a teacher of primary grades, I would take my students to events in the community. Before each trip, the children were told what was expected of them, and that they needed to be quiet and respectful. There were times that the students were asked to sing along or participate in other ways, but they were expected to be attentive listeners at all times. We would also bring parent volunteers along because of the requirements for supervision on these trips and to help with managing the groups. I was shocked and disappointed to read that some of the parents didn't seem to be concerned about the children's behaviour at the Libera concert, or were aware that a concert hall isn't necessarily an appropriate venue for toddlers. As was mentioned, it may have had something to do with cultural practices, but still, if a parent brings a very young child to a public event, would it not be the parent's responsibility to ensure that the child wasn't disturbing the rest of the audience or the performers? I got the impression from other posts that the boys could probably hear the noise coming from the audience. Mr. Prizeman has obviously trained these boys to cope well with any odd situations that might arise during a concert. Well done, Libera!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

The fourth concert was indeed a private event by invitation from the sponsors, Volvo, with only ten seats available for the general public by lottery. However, thanks to the efforts of Libera staff, nine seats were made available to international fans. The allocated seats were situated high up on the far left at the rear of the hall, however, the 1200 capacity hall was only about two thirds full so we were able to move forward to vacant seats in the first and second rows.

The symphony hall itself is magnificent with perfect acoustics and sightlines – and also the most comfortable seats! Once again there were many young children in the audience but in contrast to last night’s bedlam, their behaviour was exemplary. The adult audience too was much more generous with their applause and there were even some US style whoops and yells in appreciation for “The Moon”. There was also a nicely illustrated bilingual programme.

The concert opened as usual with San Damiano followed by Sanctus with Merlin providing the main descant and the final “Sanctus”. Peter and Alex G delivered the welcoming speech and introduced “Dreaming of Home”. Great work by Taichi who has now taken over the entire solo part from Camden.

Next was Merlin’s customary flawless delivery of “From A Distance” followed by Oliver Mycka with “Stay with Me”. Oliver has a very pleasing voice to my ear; a fine wine which I think will mature well.

Talking of fine wines, Gabriel has now surely reached Premier Cru status. Superb performances of his three solos “Far Away”, “Wonderful World” and “Smile” all filled with emotion. I can’t help looking back to the very young Gabriel in Washington in 2014 so wrapped up in the song that he forgot to move positions and was left alone at the side of the stage. He always puts heart and soul into his singing.

“Sacris solemnis”, “Libera”, and the beautiful “Arirang” completed the first half.

Second half opened as usual with “Dies Irae” segueing into “Joyful, Joyful” – and there is indeed much joy to be had in watching the joyful exuberance of Victor giving it his all.

Ben once again excelled with a beautiful performance of “Angel”.

Now might be the time to thank Camden for his wonderful past solos. His speaking voice is still quite high but it would seem that his previous solos are now beyond his range. Many thanks Camden.

Great “Salves’ from the hooded Taichi were followed by “Amazing Grace” – and if we’re using wine similes, Rocco must be “Dom Perignon”.

Next was “Orinoco Flow which is always a crowd pleaser, followed by Alex G’s intense “Wayfaring Stranger” which always gives me goose-bumps.

“Exultate” always marks the end of the show and seems to arrive much too early. The encore was, of course, “The Moon Represents my Heart” with stunning harmonies from all thirty on stage and receiving welcoming applause at its start and thunderous applause on its conclusion.

Yesterday’s concert will be memorable for the wrong reasons but today’s will be memorable as one of the best. Thanks Libera.
labbie

Post by labbie »

Many thanks to all the people who are posting reviews of this tour. I can only imagine that this has been quite a wonderful experience for you as you follow Libera's concerts in China. It will be interesting to find out through the boys' blog what they thought of their time in China. Thanks again, everyone!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Wow, John! Thank you very much for your heartwarming report about today's (for you: yesterday's) concert and, of course, also for the previous infos. As much as we are sitting at home wishing to be there, too, and experiencing all what's going on, such a review makes me feel warm and totally pleased. :)

It looks like from every part, on stage and in front of it, this was a perfect, especially enjoyable concert.

john45 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:33 pm">6 years ago</span> Oliver has a very pleasing voice to my ear; a fine wine which I think will mature well.
What a picture! I like this (guiding theme :wink: ) comparison with a voice, somehow it feels comfortable to me.

john45 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:33 pm">6 years ago</span> Talking of fine wines, Gabriel has now surely reached Premier Cru status. Superb performances of his three solos “Far Away”, “Wonderful World” and “Smile” all filled with emotion. I can’t help looking back to the very young Gabriel in Washington in 2014 so wrapped up in the song that he forgot to move positions and was left alone at the side of the stage. He always puts heart and soul into his singing.
Yes. He really does. I noticed that by his head always being inclined to the side, which to me expresses a particular devotion (dedication?) of a person. So absorbed, so lost in what he's doing. :) With one of the most luminous voices Libera has ever had.

Victor hit me with his smiling through the entire (his very first) concert 2016 in London, he is the sunshine of all. :D :D :D No way he stops smiling while he sings. I trust Robert to make this song with Victor available to the audience of the next concert(s), too. :)

Thank you again, and this makes me terribly long for the London concert coming quickly (I know it does) and I hope, hope, hope that they will sing all songs with the "new" soloists you were lucky enough to enjoy day by day.

About the children issue at yesterday's concert: I seems to me that the people simply expected a children's event with live music. The woman on the phone sure thought that she only accompanied her child to a party and could spend her time with her own business. Nevertheless, it was, visible to everyone, a concert - choir and orchestra on stage - and I do love children, but you can't take them to a concert as long as you can't make sure that they are, if not interested and playing instead, at least kept quiet. Otherwise, for the sake of respect and consideration for the performers as well as for the interested concertgoers, the parents should go outside with them. It is no matter of culture, as we can gather from the other concerts' reports, but a misunderstood announcement, and sadly I must say that I sometimes notice such tendencies here as well, only not to such an extent.

On the other hand, it adds a bonus point to our Libera! Following what you all wrote on twitter, they delivered a marvelous concert despite the irritating conditions. They certainly learned that the show must go on - great! But I do think that they were amused, they are not that far away as children and teenagers, and as I have seen them being very serious (yes, concentrated) on stage, I would have loved to see them amused and giggling during the concert, which obviously did not take anything off the brilliance of their performance. :) :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the daily concert summaries John, much appreciated by all. I guess if the Chongming concert was your one and only chance of the libera concert experience it could have left you a bit cheated with all that background noise and distractions. I know it would have driven me up the back of my seated chair! However with 4 other great concerts, one may have to put it down to a bizarre experience. Kudos for the Libera boys with their powers of concentration and professionalism.

I'm kind of hoping for an official 'live' concert video of Libera's 'Moon Represents My Heart' with young Victor's solo, but I bet it will be scuppered again by Copyright.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez