Libera Concert in China (2017)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Libera Concert in China (2017)

Post by Surpinto »

Libera will be making their first trip to the People's Republic of China for the 19th annual Shanghai International Arts Festival. This month long event is supposed to foster cultural exchange and this year some of the focus will be on the UK.

There is a video on the Facebook page of the ICS Shanghai Live news agency (an English language news service in China) advertising their visit which was posted by Jimmy Riddle on Twitter (how do you find this stuff, Jimmy??? :shock:) and which allowed me to find some of the other information.

While the translation on the official site describing Libera's role is imperfect, it has a song list. :D
  • Peace. Do they mean "Deep Peace"? or "Rest in Peace"?
  • When a Child is Born
  • Ave Maria. Interesting, I wonder which one??? :shock: All seem to rely on an incredibly strong soloist with a very high range. There is the Libera in America version by Shubert, the version from New Dawn and Luminosa by Robert Prizeman, and the Caccini version from Visions.
  • Stay With Me
  • Amazing Grace
  • Silent Night
  • Be Still My Soul
I was unable to locate anything about dates but my personal estimate, based on the fact that the festival runs from October 20 to November 19, is that Libera will be one of the earlier performers within the first week of the event owing to their school holiday's schedule as UK schools have an extended autumn break.

What was totally unclear to me, and may be attributed to a lack of perseverance on my part in locating the information, is where exactly the performances will take place. I simply was unable to determine venues or dates. Perhaps someone else (Jimmy?) can help with this.

(edited 9/9/17 to fix grammar)
Last edited by Surpinto on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Re: Libera Concert in China (2017)

Post by kinda_k00l »

This is interesting!! Libera will surely without a doubt gain themselves many fans there. 8)

For 'Peace', I think it's probably 'Deep Peace' - they've just sung it recently so that will not cost much time rehearsing. And I'm pretty sure that the 'Ave Maria' is not the Caccini one - it's too focused on one soloist, and the range is too wide also (compared to the other 2). I think it's either the Schubert or Prizeman one. :roll:

It is unlikely for me to be able to go, sadly (even though it's in China - right next to my country) :( . What consoles me is that this is not a full Libera concert, or I may even start to cry...

P/S: I also feel curious about how you were able to find this, Jimmy!! :P
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Surpinto wrote:What was totally unclear to me, and may be attributed to a lack of perseverance on my part in locating the information, is where exactly the performances will take place. I simply was unable to determine venues or dates. Perhaps someone else (Jimmy?) can help with this.
To ease your search, you may use the Chinese characters for Libera.
The name varies but the second looks to be the most often used:
天使之翼童声合唱团 : Angel Wings Children's Choir
天使之翼合唱團 : Angel Wings Chorus

Also usefull for search :
上海国际艺术节参演剧目 : Shanghai International Art Festival

On the Shanghai Int. Art Festival site, if you use the Chinese pages, you will see one performance said, with day, time and venue 😉
http://www.artsbird.com/NEWCMS/artsbird ... 22168.html
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I am generally amazed by this news with everything that is going on with North Korea and isn't China right next door?
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

dani wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:38 am">6 years ago</span> I am generally amazed by this news with everything that is going on with North Korea and isn't China right next door?
The distance from Shanghai to North Korea is larger than you think. :D
shanghai.png
shanghai.png (426.14 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
shanghai.png
shanghai.png (426.14 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
It's almost the same from Japan to North Korea in this photo.
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:54 am">6 years ago</span> P/S: I also feel curious about how you were able to find this, Jimmy!! :P
There were others that came across this concert around the same time as myself, it was first referred to in your welcome thread
http://www.forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2870&start=15#top

It was reasonably high profiled and in English, so was quite easy to come across when casting the net. What may prove more difficult to dig out should the mini tour go ahead, will be those reviews & news articles left by Chinese speaking contributors. Fingers crossed some of our reliable sources on here will be making the inaugural trip.

Always worth reiterating to treat nothing as official until announced by Libera themselves, although this can provide obstacles for those fans who require sufficient notice to plan their travel & hotel arrangements
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:23 am">6 years ago</span> . Fingers crossed some of our reliable sources on here will be making the inaugural trip.
@fan_de_LoK, am I right in thinking that you own a special Libera suitcase which is always packed and ready for the next trip during the entire year? :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Using the Baidu search engine (the Chinese Google) :

http://sh.sina.cn/news/2017-09-07/detai ... 088.d.html

Read the page, it gives a list of 13 songs ☺
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

@filiarheni, nope for the suitcase, but for some reason there is always an Oyster card in my wallet ☺
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 am">6 years ago</span> Read the page, it gives a list of 13 songs ☺
This new set list has nothing to do with the one on the page shared by Surpinto hmm... :|
And according to this one, 6/13 songs are from 'Hope' hmm... :roll:
I wonder who will be the soloist of 'Far Away' hmm... :mrgreen:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Indeed, that ist has many recent songs, it looks to be reliable. I do hope that 'Stay with me' is really going to be sung :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you for doing all these researches! :) :!:

Surpinto's song link says it was updated 2017-07-24, so it has been a long time since and much can have changed.

And any of the Ave Marias is quite far away at the moment, isn't it? Although I would jump with joy, if Robert would take his own into the set list again.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 am">6 years ago</span>
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 am">6 years ago</span> Read the page, it gives a list of 13 songs ☺
This new set list has nothing to do with the one on the page shared by Surpinto hmm... :|
And according to this one, 6/13 songs are from 'Hope' hmm... :roll:
I wonder who will be the soloist of 'Far Away' hmm... :mrgreen:
Unfortunately we pretty much know the Hope songs that will be sung

Angele Dei
Smile
From a Distance
Wayfaring Stranger
Angel
San Damiano
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:23 am">6 years ago</span>
kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:54 am">6 years ago</span> P/S: I also feel curious about how you were able to find this, Jimmy!! :P
There were others that came across this concert around the same time as myself, it was first referred to in your welcome thread
http://www.forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2870&start=15#top

It was reasonably high profiled and in English, so was quite easy to come across when casting the net. What may prove more difficult to dig out should the mini tour go ahead, will be those reviews & news articles left by Chinese speaking contributors. Fingers crossed some of our reliable sources on here will be making the inaugural trip.

Always worth reiterating to treat nothing as official until announced by Libera themselves, although this can provide obstacles for those fans who require sufficient notice to plan their travel & hotel arrangements
We have some noteable Chinese Libera fans, not least Lucy who now lives in London - hopefully she will oblige with helping to track down news from China :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

It will be nice if she can. I'm very interested in the public reaction when they visit a country for the first time. If they sing their version of 'Moon Represents My Heart' it will surely hook in the audience. There's usually a local favourite included in their repertoire when they go abroad.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez