Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Concert at Ely Cathedral in May 2018

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:13 pm">6 years ago</span> And what do we do now that we don't have to convince you anymore? We have so much spare time now! :mrgreen:
Now we can start to convince others. :twisted:
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm">6 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 am">6 years ago</span> Actually, a perfect opportunity would be the upcoming Libera concert in Ely in May 2018 :wink: . Maybe you could consider this? :D
I agree and that is why I will now attend the Ely concert. I booked my flight and hotels just today. :D This may be one of the craziest things I have ever done when it comes to major travel, but I am now fully committed.
You wild and crazy Libera fan! :lol: :lol: So you are going after all! That's awesome! I couldn't be happier for you! :D I'm glad that you were able to find better travel arrangements that allow you to attend the concert and do the other things you were looking forward to. Best of luck with obtaining a ticket. Hopefully there will be a spare seat near the front that turns up at the last moment :mrgreen:
"with a down derry, derry down down"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:13 pm">6 years ago</span> And what do we do now that we don't have to convince you anymore? We have so much spare time now! :mrgreen:
Be sure to have strength, energy and power of endurance, as this convincing work is a hard fulltime job. :P :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Jay_S wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:35 am">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm">6 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 am">6 years ago</span> Actually, a perfect opportunity would be the upcoming Libera concert in Ely in May 2018 :wink: . Maybe you could consider this? :D
I agree and that is why I will now attend the Ely concert. I booked my flight and hotels just today. :D This may be one of the craziest things I have ever done when it comes to major travel, but I am now fully committed.
You wild and crazy Libera fan! :lol: :lol: So you are going after all! That's awesome! I couldn't be happier for you! :D I'm glad that you were able to find better travel arrangements that allow you to attend the concert and do the other things you were looking forward to. Best of luck with obtaining a ticket. Hopefully there will be a spare seat near the front that turns up at the last moment :mrgreen:
:lol: I am out of control!

The flight options made the practical difference but those other things like seeing Cambridge were highly attractive from the start. Even though St George was never really an option for work related reasons, having already been to London in the past this made it less desirable from the perspective of a mini vacation. But I do not hold out for any last minute front section tickets as happened to a certain lucky fan in Saint Louis :wink: but I'm sure that I will manage just fine in the regular ticket sale run.
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm">6 years ago</span>
Be sure to have strength, energy and power of endurance, as this convincing work is a hard fulltime job. :P :lol:
:lol:
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm">6 years ago</span> ... I will now attend the Ely concert. I booked my flight and hotels just today. :D This may be one of the craziest things I have ever done when it comes to major travel, but I am now fully committed.
Wow, this is such a great news. Yes, this is a crazy thing but also something special. I felt the same way last spring when I decided to come to Ely - crazy. But the experience turned out to be one of the best moments for me this year. I'm sure you will have a great time in Cambridgeshire. I'm really happy and excited for you and I look very much forward to meeting you there. :D

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am">6 years ago</span> :lol: I am out of control!
Well, we have a proverb in Poland, which English equivalent would be He who lives among wolves learns to howl . You quite often notice some persons here around having been in that state for a longer time now. So, no wonder that this happened to you too, as apparently "being out of control" can be infectious. :lol: :D

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm">6 years ago</span> Now we can start to convince others. :twisted:
Definitely. Who's turn is now to be convinced? :lol: :lol:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you, Andmar. I look forward to meeting you as well; very much so. These events give us something to look forward to over the next number of months (as well as provide extra motivation to save up additional funds to counteract the expense :roll:). But first all of you European fans have the St George concert coming up for which I am very excited on your behalf! :D
andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm">6 years ago</span> Now we can start to convince others. :twisted:
We shall soon determine our next victim! :twisted:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 am">6 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 pm">6 years ago</span>
We shall soon determine our next victim! :twisted:
:o :shock: How quickly a victim can turn into a perpetrator! :shock: I hope he gets what he deserves and at the end will be punishedrewarded by a wonderful Libera concert in lovely Ely, meeting other victims and non-victims nice fans and experiencing beautiful Cambridge. :mrgreen: :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm">6 years ago</span> :o :shock: How quickly a victim can turn into a perpetrator! :shock: I hope he gets what he deserves and at the end will be punishedrewarded by a wonderful Libera concert in lovely Ely, meeting other victims and non-victims nice fans and experiencing beautiful Cambridge. :mrgreen: :D
:lol: :lol: One's point of view depends very much on one's seating point - we say often here. If someone changes their position, the point of view is changed as well. :lol: :lol: . Yes, I'm sure he will get what he deserves. We'll take care of that, won't we? :mrgreen: :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Perhaps we can keep the discussion of this topic focused on the concert itself, the songs, the soloists and so ? :wink:

Feel free to open a discussion topic in the Chat section if needed :)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

We have devolved into silliness and it has taken up some space in this thread.

To get us back on track, I would say that this years early notice on this and St George may allow some to consider the option of going whereas they would not have done it otherwise. This is an extremely welcome change for Libera announcing these concerts so early without fans needing to scavenge ticket sites to get the information. It also allows international travelers to book travel with the security of an official announcement and with the benefit of the best travel rates.

As for songs and soloists and the like it seems that some of the changes, though certainly not all, from the "standard program" they have used up until now will occur at St George's and so that will be our guide. Also whatever international tour they do in Spring will also determine this. As usual, FDL, it is your analysis and insights that are the most informative in that regard.
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm">6 years ago</span> Perhaps we can keep the discussion of this topic focused on the concert itself, the songs, the soloists and so ? :wink:

Feel free to open a discussion topic in the Chat section if needed :)
Finally, a voice of reason! :D
"with a down derry, derry down down"
j8000

Post by j8000 »

It's great you will be able to make the trip over here Surpinto 8)

Do we have an idea of when tickets might go on sale? Looking at the 2017 concert it was about six weeks beforehand and the tickets were from Ely Cathedral directly. Will the same arrangements likely will apply this time? With such an early announcement might the tickets go on sale earlier this time?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

@j8000 : the answer is on the official site (here) : "Tickets: will be available early in 2018" :wink:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I would imagine that tickets will again be sold directly by the Cathedral; as they run their own box office. However, I am speculating that an earlier ticket sale date will be had as Libera's own website proclaims early 2018 for ticket availability. Last time they announced the concert in early March and tickets were on sale a week or two later. I would imagine that the 2017 Ely concert was only finalized by Libera at the last moment given such a short timeline.

It is doubtful that Ely Cathedral wants to offer tickets to concerts a mere month before the performance, so a January or February ticket sale date seems like the likely option. In my experience 4 to 6 months is the normal minimal time for concert ticket sales to start by a reputable venue when they have a verified booking with a performance group.

There were issues with the ticketing website last year that everyone ought to be aware of and ought to read about in the relevant part of the Libera Dreams thread. It seem like only certain payment options are acceptable (no American Express, and credit card preferable) and that for those who are outside the UK they must, when registering, provide a fake postcode (zip code for Americans) that is based in the UK. Even if you mark down your country as being outside the UK a glitch in the ticketing system will not allow registration with a non-UK postcode! Once you are registered you can change your fake postcode to the actual one in your account settings.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am">6 years ago</span> I would imagine that the 2017 Ely concert was only finalized by Libera at the last moment given such a short timeline.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's my impression that the venues usually or very often announce the Libera concerts earlier than Libera itself, and so this time it's upside down, as Ely Cathedral still doesn't display the concert in their calendar.

The time from opening the ticket sale until the concert this year was short and the sale went very slowly. Next time I expect it to be better (faster), already because more Ely people know Libera then. Even though there is no Eel Festival, so Ely won't be full of festival visitors, who'd attend the concert spontaneously (and certainly after an irresistible temptation via sound check while they were, by coincidence, lingering in the church :D ). At the end the Cathedral was well occupied. And tickets were not controlled. :lol:

I must repeat myself: If only possible in any way, the chance of attending a Libera concert in that very Ely cathedral should not be missed! :D I already get goosebumps in memory and in advance only thinking of Angele Dei being performed there ...