Radio Interview with John Romeri

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Radio Interview with John Romeri

Post by Surpinto »

This was mentioned in the US tour thread, but I decided to start new thread about this so that this long interview was not inadvertently buried in a nearly 30 page thread. While this interview is certainly related to the tour in general as it was conducted during that time, I thought that a 48 minute interview deserved its own thread. :D

While Libera was visiting California, John Romeri, the director of Christ Cathedral in California, interviewed them for his podcast "Music From The Tower". This episode is Episode #10 recorded earlier but broadcast on August 12.

Click here to listen on Soundcloud.

There is a lot of interesting commentary particularly when Robert Prizeman and John Romeri discuss that it is important not to try and condescend to children by only exposing them to popular music which would seem, on its surface, to appeal to them, and thereby deny them access to great music from many centuries. I think this is so true because, as Robert Prizeman says, children come to the music "completely clean". Very well spoken! :D

The following images were posted in their newsletter.

john45
Gold Member

Re: Radio Interview with John Romeri

Post by john45 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 pm">6 years ago</span> There is a lot of interesting commentary particularly when Robert Prizeman and John Romeri discuss that it is important not to try and condescend to children by only exposing them to popular music which would seem, on its surface, to appeal to them, and thereby deny them access to great music from many centuries. I think this is so true because, as Robert Prizeman says, children come to the music "completely clean". Very well spoken!
Agreed. I tried my best, and at age 3 my son preferred "A Little Night Music" to "The Wheels on the Bus". But sadly, by age 13 his listening choice had changed and was then Gangsta Rap. Peer pressure and no RP to guide him I guess.
frankstuart

Post by frankstuart »

Thank you for the link. It was a very informative interview.

Dr. Prizeman did an excellent job explaining many aspects of Libera and working with the boys.The three young men did a great job, too. The were very well spoken and communicated their thoughts and ideas clearly and eloquently.

I noticed that Dr. Prizeman certainly was quite humble about his part in creating and forging the group into what it is today. Any time the host tried to get him to talk about his accomplishments he used the opportunity to highlight someone else who has made valuable contributions that benefited the group (especially previous members, etc.).

The more I learn and hear about Libera, the greater my appreciation and admiration grows for the work that Dr. Prizeman has and is doing for this special group. I believe that he is one of those special people in life that channels all of his skills, talents, and spirit into changing the lives of the young people he works with. What would Libera be without him - probably just another church choir sing Mass twice a day on Sundays - if it even existed at all!
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

Hello Surpinto,

Thank you very much for sharing the link.
I will listen to this interview tonight.
Exciting :lol:

Libera Sbow
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

This interview really gets the Libera message across. Kudos to the interviewer John Romeri. There have been several interviews with Robert Prizeman and a group of boys done in past years during tours but I think this one has just the right mix of information and humor and that sets it above the others. For me anyway :D Although we had to wait for this interview to be published I find the listen very rewarding. Thank you Surpinto for posting the link to the interview and the pictures.
"with a down derry, derry down down"
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

It was a truly wonderful interview. I have sooooo many things to say about it, but exams are coming. I also agree with Surpinto's & john45 's idea about that particular part - it also hooked me right at the first time I listened to it (I'm in charge of a local children choir, so getting to know more about this is kinda important to me). :) I really like the view Prizeman & Romeri share: "kids don't need kids music" - just expose them to the 'right' music and you'll see what they can do. I'm pretty sure my kids (if I ever have kids) will not be listening to kids music (unless they really like it and show no interest in classical). 8)

The 3 boys of Libera also did very well in communicating their ideas - well, their experiences are unrivaled anyway. I feel that Peter was a little bit shy compared to the calmness of Alex & the energy of Leo perhaps? I also really appreciate that question about harmony parts John Romeri chose to include in the interview - an informative & interesting one (I'm sure other fans love to hear about this too) :roll:

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm">6 years ago</span> I tried my best, and at age 3 my son preferred "A Little Night Music" to "The Wheels on the Bus". But sadly, by age 13 his listening choice had changed and was then Gangsta Rap. Peer pressure and no RP to guide him I guess.
I can totally understand this particular situation because I too am still very young, and only the fact that I like classical & choral music rather than 'trashy' (in my point of view) music nowadays makes me a weirdo in other students' (in both my high school & university) eyes. I partly owned this music taste to my music teacher as well as my big family with many people have been involving in working in local choirs, and the fact that I'm a little bit antisocial (I mean the society here where I'm living in) helps me maintain this hobby without caring too much about what others think. :mrgreen:
Also, have you tried getting your son to a music lesson or course? That has helped me a lot too.
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02 pm">6 years ago</span>

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm">6 years ago</span> I tried my best, and at age 3 my son preferred "A Little Night Music" to "The Wheels on the Bus". But sadly, by age 13 his listening choice had changed and was then Gangsta Rap. Peer pressure and no RP to guide him I guess.
Also, have you tried getting your son to a music lesson or course? That has helped me a lot too.
Well he's now 33 and musical tastes haven't changed much - but there's still hope. I didn't start liking opera until age 45!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

What a fun interview! We gain so much insight in the background of Libera and how they work. The way the boys talk about bringing joy to people and how they enjoy being in Libera is heart-warming. Also, isn't it adorable how Peter relates his famous grasshopper incident? :wink:
And what a relaxed atmosphere (as you can also tell from the pictures). Definitely one of the very best and longest Libera interviews out there. Thanks for sharing!!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I just listened to the interview. I thought I would listen for a bit and finish tomorrow but I couldn't stop :lol: Thank you Surpinto for the soundcloud link !

It does give a lot of information about how the boys rehearse, how their voices are trained and picked for the songs... Amazing content ! Every Libera fan who has already been thinking 'but how do they sound so unique ?' should find answers here. I liked the part when RP talks about how the choir is more of a group and how he makes choices so that they will always be unique and have a personal sound, a proper identity.

I didn't know they were singing twice a week during services in London. I sometimes travel in this city, should I have known I would have tried to see them. I know it's nothing like their concerts, and that I shouldn't disurb them... but I'm really curious to hear how they sound when "natural"... Do you people know how and where to find them ? I promess if ever go I'll be quiet and discreet.

Last word : congratulations to Leo for missing a song during his first concert :lol: This little guy is definitely funny !
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 pm">6 years ago</span>
I didn't know they were singing twice a week during services in London. I sometimes travel in this city, should I have known I would have tried to see them. I know it's nothing like their concerts, and that I shouldn't disurb them... but I'm really curious to hear how they sound when "natural"... Do you people know how and where to find them ? I promess if ever go I'll be quiet and discreet.
It isn't a secret, their home base is a rather modest Anglican church called St Philip's in Norbury. They will sing only during UK school term time (so not during the school holidays but then they are often away on tour so no surprise there) and they will sing with some men who are mostly former Libera members.

It is not unknown for them to sing at other Cathedrals or churches too - they have sung at Westminster Cathedral on a few occasions when the cathedral choir is away. They sing on a Sunday at the 9.45am service and again at 6.30pm
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Not a secret, but interesting that RP seemed to carefully avoid mentioning St. P's by name when asked in the interview where they sing on Sundays, instead replying "various churches".
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm">6 years ago</span> Not a secret, but interesting that RP seemed to carefully avoid mentioning St. P's by name when asked in the interview where they sing on Sundays, instead replying "various churches".
I noticed that too, can't really imagine hordes of Catholic Radio followers descending on Nobury after hearing a radio interview and the Libera fans already know...still, i'm sure he has his reasons.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Well yes, I actually thought you would give me the answer in private messages :wink: Not a secret, but I didn't know, and I guess that's the same for other fans. But the radio interview must have been directed mostly towards american people, right ? Probably there wouldn't be such a big number of them really going to Norbury ?
Thank you all for your answers anyway.

For those who still haven't listened to it : you should !
Kenneth012

Post by Kenneth012 »

I didn't know they were singing twice every week amid administrations in London. I in some cases go in this city, should I have known I would have endeavored to see them. I know it's in no way like their shows, and that I shouldn't diI didn't know they were singing twice every week amid administrations in London. I now and then go in this city, should I have known I would have attempted to see them. I know it's not at all like their shows, and that I shouldn't disurb them.surb them.