London Concert - 1 December 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: London Concert - 1 December 2017

Post by Surpinto »

theforestdweller wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:22 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 pm">6 years ago</span>
Wasn't the concert last year practically sold out one the date of the show? I believe that a repeat is guaranteed. It's understandable actually: it's a Christmas concert, it's in London, the choristers families attend, etc.
I'm guessing that some of the front premium seating was reserved for families, and so never appeared for sale.
That thought never occurred to me. Can those who have attended this show attest to this in any way? It would make a lot of sense if it were the case actually.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm">6 years ago</span>
theforestdweller wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:22 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 pm">6 years ago</span>
Wasn't the concert last year practically sold out one the date of the show? I believe that a repeat is guaranteed. It's understandable actually: it's a Christmas concert, it's in London, the choristers families attend, etc.
I'm guessing that some of the front premium seating was reserved for families, and so never appeared for sale.
That thought never occurred to me. Can those who have attended this show attest to this in any way? It would make a lot of sense if it were the case actually.
I have been just to one Libera concert so far - in Ely this spring, but what I noticed was, that in fact at least three seats in the front row were taken by family members (it was Finn Wood with his parents). At the time of ticked purchase I noticed that as good as over 50% of the front row seats were taken immediately after the sales start.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:50 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm">6 years ago</span>

I have been just to one Libera concert so far - in Ely this spring, but what I noticed was, that in fact at least three seats in the front row were taken by family members (it was Finn Wood with his parents). At the time of ticked purchase I noticed that as good as over 50% of the front row seats were taken immediately after the sales start.
As far as I know the only time family members were offered preferential seating was at Arundel in 2010. Family members were admitted early through a side door while the general public still queued at the front door. Naturally they chose the better seats but Steven Philipp reminded them that many fans had queued for hours to get good seats and asked them to move back which most did. This was in the days of general admission only. Preferred seating was not offered for sale at that time. There was still some resentment from the fans and I do not think family members have received significant preferential treatment since that time. Where Libera has control over ticket sales (at Ely they did not) they may sometimes reserve seats for sponsors and VIPs. Yes, we all want to have a great view, but it is generally agreed that a position about half way back offers the best sound.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:24 pm">6 years ago</span> Two concerts? Does that not interfere with their studies? My understanding is that English schools are very much in session when the December concert takes place and thus the boys are actually arriving at the Church immediately after their school day is done. [...]

If the second concert were on a weekday then it might disrupt other activities as well as schoolwork because it would require them to stay up rather late on a school night with no break. That is likely a bad option.

So then it would have to be on Saturday. But wait, if the second concert were on Saturday then they would be singing three days in a row (Friday, Saturday, and their regular church services on Sunday). Though this is feasible, it may create interference in those very same activities the choristers engage in outside of singing. They only maintain this type of tough schedule on formal tours when school and other activities are not a factor.

Even if one of these options is no problem for the choristers, or their parents, it may very well be a problem for Libera staff all of whom have other, full-time occupations.

I just do not see it happening and must agree with FDL that a larger venue is the true alternative.
Now you have me embarrassed. :oops: :oops: :cry: :oops: You are, of course, right with your objections, and I was selfish. I'm not familiar with the British school system and didn't think about it. And on a Thursday it would probably be a problem for the staff to manage it, as they'd have to install the technical equipment. The mere singing at two consecutive days would be possible I think, they did it already, but it is not at all optimal, if they can't have enough rest between the concerts, and even harder with M&Gs after the concerts and singing the Sunday service.

So yes, I withdraw my suggestion, I admit that there is no other possibility than another venue. However, with this wish I'm very serious and stick to it: a more appropriate church in London, not a concert hall.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

No need whatsoever to be embarrassed. It's would a good idea if Libera were made of singers that were not children. In fact, your idea is exactly what many performers do all the time when they want to play in a certain city. Many times we see an orchestra, rock band, or theatrical act repeat a performance several times, even at the same venue. So what you are proposing is standard practice in the performing arts world; it just happens not to work for Libera. :D
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Ticketsource are getting tickets sent out very quickly. I received mine today :D :D :D
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Al17

Post by Al17 »

Can I make someone happy with a G23 seat ?
Not the best place but it's still premium.
Or else I'll give it away.
-- on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam - Carl Sagan
richardker

Post by richardker »

Hi Al17, I was just wondering if you still have this ticket. If you do please let me know here or by PM. Thanks. :D
Al17

Post by Al17 »

richardker wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:03 pm">6 years ago</span> Hi Al17, I was just wondering if you still have this ticket. If you do please let me know here or by PM. Thanks. :D
It's yours ! :D
-- on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam - Carl Sagan
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

Hey there

I'm taking my Dad to the Libera Xmas-Concert as a surprise. Now my 2 brothers would like to join too, as they will show up in London to surprise him too=)
In case anyone has 2 spare tickets in a part of the church where it's possible to see the boys without tv-screens i'd be very happy to purchase those=)

Thanks!
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I see that all the tickets for the main isle have now been sold.

So now its just the two outer sides available
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

yea i know, and from those seats u cant see a thing other then the screen..... :-(
well at least i have good seats to surprise my dad, but none for my brothers.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 pm">6 years ago</span> In case anyone has 2 spare tickets in a part of the church where it's possible to see the boys without tv-screens i'd be very happy to purchase those=)

at least i have good seats to surprise my dad, but none for my brothers.
Hello ste1701fan, I have two spare tickets, which are anything but ideal: V17 and C2. V17 is very far in the back, but directly at the aisle. C2 has restricted view, but I have no idea to what extend it is restricted. In case you're interested nevertheless, let me know.
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

Thanks very much=) I'll ask my brothers...too bad not next to eachother but we'll see! Thanks for even mentioning this!
bzw. i sat next to you in Ely=)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:42 pm">6 years ago</span> bzw. i sat next to you in Ely=)
:o :) Hallo Stefan, great to read you here! I've been wondering since your first post if it's you! :D So we'll meet again, this time in London. And you bring so many family members, that's just fine. Have you already introduced Libera to them?

These are not very good seats at all, and maybe there is someone here around who can offer you something better. I don't really think that somebody will tear them out of my hand, so you have a bit of time.