Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

London Concert - 1 December 2017

Post by andmar »

Libera has just announced a concert in December 2017:

https://libera.org.uk/event/london-united-kingdom-5/

Thanks Patrick @fan_de_LoK for twitting the news.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: London Concert - 1 December 2017

Post by Surpinto »

Wow! Such an early announcement. Does an announcement this early for the UK concert have any precedent? I am glad though because it gives fans time to adequately plan attending the event. :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Surpinto wrote:Does an announcement this early for the UK concert have any precedent?
This is for sure an early announce and it would be extremely useful for fans to have always like here a 5 months ahead notice :wink:

But it's far from being the record of the longest concert early announcement for a concert near England.
As for example I remember that the concert in Dublin on July 30 2009 was announced as early as December 2008, something like 7 months before the concert :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:56 pm">6 years ago</span>I am glad though because it gives fans time to adequately plan attending the event. :D
It really does, doesn't it? :mrgreen: Alright then, you can get started! :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote:Does an announcement this early for the UK concert have any precedent?
This is for sure an early announce and it would be extremely useful for fans to have always like here a 5 months ahead notice :wink:

But it's far from being the record of the longest concert early announcement for a concert near England.
As for example I remember that the concert in Dublin on July 30 2009 was announced as early as December 2008, something like 7 months before the concert :)
Wow! I knew that you of all people, FDL, would have the answer to this question as our resident expert :D. I agree; five months notice is far better than some of the extremely short notice we sometimes get.
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:56 pm">6 years ago</span>I am glad though because it gives fans time to adequately plan attending the event. :D
It really does, doesn't it? :mrgreen: Alright then, you can get started! :D

LOL. I had not considered this to be honest. The cost is always much too high, and the logistics and time off from work in December are extremely major factors. Although, apparently, the flight cost to Gatwick airport (LGW), if I book now, is almost the same as what I booked to travel to Saint Louis :shock: That's absolutely insane!!!

But we both know you will probably must go. Have you booked your flight and accommodations yet? :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 am">6 years ago</span> LOL. I had not considered this to be honest. The cost is always much too high, and the logistics and time off from work in December are extremely major factors. Although, apparently, the flight cost to Gatwick airport (LGW), if I book now, is almost the same as what I booked to travel to Saint Louis That's absolutely insane!!!
No, no, no, no, no. You bend the truth. In fact, you were fishing for encouragement. 8) :mrgreen:

And here it is! :arrow:

1. There is enough time to tenderise your employer. Tell him that a Libera concert is needed to maintain your capacity to work and that he can choose between a long rehabilitation leave or a short Libera leave. If worse comes to worse, you play one Libera song to him. This will be enough.
The risk of the latter method is, despite a 100 % certain allowance to go, your employer will want to accompany you.

2. Tell him also that the only December day you are absent is the 1st, which is almost nothing, because it is followed by a weekend. On the 4th, you'll be back. To make the trip worth all the cost, you have to prolong it, but do that in advance. Imagine, you can feel free to take one or two or three or even four weeks in November!

3. Start accumulating overtime right now. This will earn you the necessary money and your employer will see that you need vacation, which strengthens the effect of point no. 1.

4. Flight cost to the UK and domestic American flight cost are pretty much alike. You said that, so you can't withdraw from it now. (By the way, I suspected exactly that; strange, but why not take it as a sign ... :lol: )

5. A Libera Christmas Concert is absolutely worth attending, and when someone like me, who isn't much in Christmas or Christmas songs says that, you can rely on it. I would have never wanted to miss it. :!:

6. You will see Moose in his Christmas look. Live.

7. After St. Louis, you will be extremely sad that you can't reliably count on another Libera concert in the U.S. for the next time. But by your regretting time, flight prices have risen.

8. After the St. Louis concert, you will be extremely glad that you can reliably count on your next Libera concert in sight, because you have booked everything in time.

9. England is a beautiful country, and I don't say that because I'm so scared of the British forum members.

10. And finally no. 10, the k.o. argument pro: Seats are numbered, so no queueing!

11. - 32. Certainly, there is much more pro than I can think of now

33. You haven't got any more arguments against it.

Well ... I want to be honest: I must admit that there is one point speaking against it: left-hand traffic! But, since there are marks on the streets saying "look left" or "look right" (which contributed to save my life last December), you can't use this as an excuse anymore, so I have deleted this paragraph.

:D :!:

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 am">6 years ago</span> Have you booked your flight and accommodations yet?
I haven't booked yet, no. I'm thinking about taking the train this time (for the first time in my life). And I wanted to have a look if I can get a hotel room, but they are all so expensive. So probably, it will be a B&B again. Last year, I was located perfectly: A 10 minutes walk to St. George's and lots of buses and metros 3 minutes away. :)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OMG you are completely out of control with this post filiarheni! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are wrong about one thing though, I would have to take both November 30 and December 1 off because the flight time is something like 7-8 hours (plus due time being given to arrive at the airport for the security screenings needed for international flights) and the time difference of 5 hours.

So that would make it absurd to travel from the evening of Thursday, Nov 30 and arrive in the late morning of Friday, Dec 1 and then not be able to really sleep and feel like a zombie prior to and during the show! Coffee would be inadequate in this situation. I know that I wouldn't get anything near proper sleep on the plane. So, under your plan I would work a full day (I start very early) and then would travel directly to the airport in the evening, get on a 7 hour plane ride with little sleep, and then arrive in London in the late morning (sometime after noon with the extra transport time from Gatwick) and be able to function and enjoy a concert! :shock: And then the next morning fly back to the US on another trek that will last 7 hours in the air, and another few hours getting to/from the airport, and another few in the airport itself.

I know, I know. It's hard to fathom these issues/problems unless you remember the time differences and travel times. :D I must say though that your humorous approach has tempted me greatly to go. Ultimately, it remains to be seen. The biggest obstacle, as always, is logistics with work and other things. If I were to go it would have be a flight in the morning of Nov 30.

For someone who can just take the train this is all no big deal :wink: Seriously though, London accommodations aren't cheap at all even if booked in advance. And it would be a shame not to do some sightseeing if you are there. Are there any particular things you plan on seeing in London? Or places you plan to go? Surely you will not just travel all that way only to see Libera and nothing else, right?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 pm">6 years ago</span> For someone who can just take the train this is all no big deal :wink: Seriously though, London accommodations aren't cheap at all even if booked in advance. And it would be a shame not to do some sightseeing if you are there. Are there any particular things you plan on seeing in London? Or places you plan to go? Surely you will not just travel all that way only to see Libera and nothing else, right?
Agree about accommodation so I'm trying something new this time. Premier Inn is a UK chain that provides a good standard at a reasonable price, although their London Hotels are still far from cheap most of the time.

I see they have a new offering available called 'Hub' - this is ultra basic (a room with a good bed and shower and not much else) but it is cheap. I've just booked Friday and Saturday night for under £120 (no cancellation, it is a bit more if you want that option). I've picked the King's Cross location as it will be near my train home but it is also handy for Eurostar and the Tube from Heathrow. If you fly in to Gatwick then you take the train to Victoria and swap to the tube to Kings Cross....

Hub by Premier Inn
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 pm">6 years ago</span> So, under your plan I would work a full day (I start very early) and then would travel directly to the airport in the evening, get on a 7 hour plane ride with little sleep, and then arrive in London in the late morning (sometime after noon with the extra transport time from Gatwick) and be able to function and enjoy a concert! :shock:
Wrong, so wrong! I wasn't clear enough, I see. :D I meant, you have to leave for home on Saturday, I think. But before the concert, you can arrive any day, not only one day earlier (which would, of course, be horrible, what a stress!), because it's still November, and you didn't say anything about November before, so I can refute all you wrote, sorry! :P :mrgreen:
Therefore, you could fly in on Saturday, 25th November, e. g., or earlier. Then you have all the time you need to recreate, refresh, do a bit sightseeing, try to get used to the left-hand traffic and get more and more excited with every minute. At the end of your trip the highlight: You will experience a fantastic Libera concert. The next day, you fly home, very happy and full of things to think about and to tell your people at home, you go to sleep, still happy, and on Monday you go to work (happy ...?) and it's still the beginning of December. :D

I spent four days in London last year, that time is also difficult for me, and normally I should not take days off then. But I forced my colleagues to let me go ... :lol: I did as much sightseeing and walking around as I could, and went to see "The Snowman", which, even though a ballet for children, was very enjoyable for me. To be honest, I think about seeing that again ... :oops:
Whatever I'll do there this time, the most important thing to do will be, apart from attending a very special concert, trying a certain chocolate ... Hopefully, I'll find it. :lol:

Yorkie, you are very quick with everything! :o :) And thank you for your hints! I will hurry up now deciding.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 pm">6 years ago</span> Seriously though, London accommodations aren't cheap at all even if booked in advance.
This may not be of use in pushing you along to go to the Christmas concert. Booking accommodations outside of Central London (outside of the Circle Line (Tube))is less expensive. The farther out you go the prices continue to decline, to a point. For this past Christmas concert at St. George's I stayed just south of the Thames at the Waterloo Central Travelodge (which Yorkie had suggested). It was $444 for 5 days through Expedia. It is about a 10 minute walk to St. George's and about the same to the Waterloo Station. I Will probably stay even farther out this trip now that I have some confidence in using the tube to get around.

I haven't checked, I'm hoping the Lambert station is open by then, it is even closer (I think) than Elephant & Castle to St. George's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if you can find a way to manage it, please, do go to London for the concert.

Just my 2p. :D
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm">6 years ago</span>
I haven't checked, I'm hoping the Lambert station is open by then, it is even closer (I think) than Elephant & Castle to St. George's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if you can find a way to manage it, please, do go to London for the concert.

Tim: Lambeth North Station reopened in February. It is indeed closer to St George's. If it should happen to be closed again (most unlikely) the walk from Waterloo to St G's is much nicer (less traffic, safer) than from the Elephant & Castle and about the same distance.

Surpinto: Last year we arrived in London from Cape Town at 7.00AM (12 hour flight) on the day of the St. G's concert. Enjoyed the concert at 7.30PM (wide awake) and left for Saint John via Montreal (9 hours flying) at 8.30AM the next day. Back to work the next morning. You can do it!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm">6 years ago</span> So, if you can find a way to manage it, please, do go to London for the concert.
john45 wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:43 pm">6 years ago</span>You can do it!
You see? Yes, you can. :wink: :)

I felt safe on my way from Elephant & Castle, also walking along there partly on my own during the late evening and don't remember that it was so much traffic. But I don't know the way Lambeth Station - St. George's, so I can't compare.
In any case, St. George's is very conveniently located, really fine!
Sjh

Post by Sjh »

Just Booked the Waterloo Central Travelodge for £57.00 for the Friday night good price having extra notice helped a lot both for flights and hotel, Just the ticket fight to come in September. Anybody who is coming needs to get in the hotel price will soon rise to it's more normal £100.00 a night also the Days Inn just around the corner is showing £67.00 a night for the Friday, nice pub on the corner for a bite to eat drink before the concert The Three Stags have used before the last 2 concerts.

Also 2 more Travel Lodges close by at Vauxhall Bridge and Southwark London Bridge up by the C.E Cathedral easy 15\20 min walk away or 5 min bus ride If you are not concerned price wise 1\2 other hotels all within walking distance.
Sjh

Post by Sjh »

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 pm">6 years ago</span> Seriously though, London accommodations aren't cheap at all even if booked in advance.
This may not be of use in pushing you along to go to the Christmas concert. Booking accommodations outside of Central London (outside of the Circle Line (Tube))is less expensive. The farther out you go the prices continue to decline, to a point. For this past Christmas concert at St. George's I stayed just south of the Thames at the Waterloo Central Travelodge (which Yorkie had suggested). It was $444 for 5 days through Expedia. It is about a 10 minute walk to St. George's and about the same to the Waterloo Station. I Will probably stay even farther out this trip now that I have some confidence in using the tube to get around.

D
Don't forget the bus Ideal for getting around London nicer and you get to see a lot more than the hole in the ground Oyster Card a must. Last year I stayed at a airport hotel had a day travel card and early 7 AM flight home was hell getting in and back due to the strikes, they are still ongoing missed the M&G after.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

WOW, what is going on here :shock: . I was away for a couple of days and now I can see here a lot of travel planing for the December concert. And even Surpinto seems to be (hopefully) almost convinced to come to London :D :D :D . Actually, this is no wonder, with filiarheni's list of reasons for attending the concert, who could resist it :lol: .

Well, I booked my hotel too. I am going to stay in London for three nights - from Thursday to Sunday. Three nights for two persons with cooked breakfast for £315 is OK, I think (still, this is a flex rate, so I can cancel anytime). The hotel is located in a couple of minutes walking distance from the Victoria Station, which is convenient for me, as I come there on a National Express coach from the Luton Airport.

I don't have any plans yet (except of the Libera concert, of course), so I would be grateful for any hints or suggestions. I was thinking of attending the service at St.Phillip in Norbury on Sunday morning as this is the home of Libera. @filiarheni - you were there last December and you liked it, didn't you? I think, it's worth traveling there.

@Surpinto - I hope, you decide to come to London. I'm sure all of us would love to meet you there. By the way, a trip to London is quite expensive for me too. Most probably I will have to give up or significantly reduce my summer vacation. But I think, coming to a Libera concert and meeting fantastic people there is definitely worth it.